Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Amy's Place ... Poetry and Potpourri ... April, 2011
4-1-2011 | JustAmy; St.Louie1; MamaBear; Billie; Meg33

Posted on 03/31/2011 9:31:17 PM PDT by JustAmy

Welcome To....

'Amy's Place' welcomes all poets
and those who enjoy poetry.
'Amy's Place' is more than just about poetry.
Come in, relax, and share with fellow FReepers
your thoughts about any of the things on the *Menu*.

Enjoy! :)

Never Forget!

Bad Penny

Amy's personal guardian ~
the ever charming, lovable, huggable,

LouieWolf

Many thanks for stopping by. : )

TOPICS: Humor; Miscellaneous; Poetry; The Poetry Branch
KEYWORDS: amysplace; april; friends; poetry
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 1,801-1,8501,851-1,9001,901-1,950 ... 2,951-2,981 next last
To: All; MEG33; jaycee; tiapam; oldteen; Diver Dave; The Mayor; Dubya; yorkie; JustAmy; ...
Thank you, Meg; love the doggies in the bluebonnets!

About the wildfires in Texas - my husband said this morning that he heard on the news that Texas is having the worst drought since 1917! We have had grass fires in the fields and area around us for a few weeks now. Fortunately, though one time we could actually see the flames, the wind was blowing the fire in a direction away from us.

We have wind, wind, wind and high temperatures and single digit humidity. No rain in 8 months. :(

1,851 posted on 04/19/2011 6:13:48 PM PDT by Billie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1842 | View Replies]

To: Billie

Thank you!
We were blessed with half inch of rain this month...It helped..but not nearly what we need.
I am so glad you escaped being damaged...Pray you continue to avoid the flames at your place.

The winds really blow here, too..We have a severe thunderstorm watch but the radar shows that line just missing us..I am just grateful some are getting rain!

1,852 posted on 04/19/2011 6:26:45 PM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military Men And Women)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1851 | View Replies]

I am so glad that the winds...even though they drive us
nuts...have been in your favor at this time. Just watching
the big plume of smoke from the Andrews fire last night was
chilling. Glad they got it put out. The first responders must
be worn out from all these huge area fires.

1,853 posted on 04/19/2011 6:27:56 PM PDT by LUV W (GOP? You need to fight like a GIRL!!~~Sarah Palin)

To: Majie Purple
It's Good to See you, Purple!

God Bless!

1,854 posted on 04/19/2011 7:04:32 PM PDT by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1837 | View Replies]

To: Billie; All; FRiends
About the wildfires in Texas - my husband said this morning that he heard on the news that Texas is having the worst drought since 1917!

It Started Sprinkling while I was Mowing the Lawn this Evening, so I began to have Hope that it would Rain, but it Passed us by. :(
We Live on a Gravel Road, and a Lot of Dirt is in the Air from the Cars that Go by.
I Hope it Rains Soon!

Prayers for Everyone Affected by the Wildfires.

1,855 posted on 04/19/2011 7:12:06 PM PDT by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!)

To: All
20 more homes burn in Texas wildfire at Possum Kingdom CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE STORY
1,856 posted on 04/19/2011 8:05:22 PM PDT by Dubya (JESUS SAVES)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1850 | View Replies]

BREAKFAST

BANANA PINEAPPLE BELGIAN WAFFLES
With sausage, toast, and a side of fruit

FRIED CRAB CAKES W/ HOLLENDAISE GLAZE
Each cake is pan seared in butter and topped with a hot glaze of creamy hollandaise
Served with hashbrowns, toast, and fresh fruit

BREAKFAST STEAK W/ ONIONS AND MUSHROOM
7 oz. steak lightly seared on the grill, cooked just right, served with fried onions and butter fried mushroom slices. Toast, hashbrowns, and a side of pancakes

THE FREEPER
Two pork sausage, two bacon, two eggs, a side of hashbrowns and fresh fruit

COFFEE, MILK, TEA, JUICES
TOAST
HASHBROWNS
AMERICAN FRIES
EGGS (Your way)
OMELETS (Pick your choice of stuffing’s)
CINNAMON ROLLS
CARMEL ROLLS

VIEW OUT AN ODD WINDOW

A moment of peace is precious as gold in a hectic world.

1,857 posted on 04/20/2011 5:37:53 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1856 | View Replies]

To: Jim Robinson; JustAmy; Billie; MEG33; jaycee; dutchess; GodBlessUSA; deadhead; LUV W; mathluv; ...

Freep mail me to be on or off the Daily Bread ping list

Knowing God’s Will
April 20, 2011

A young man facing the future and unsure of what the next year would bring, concluded, “Nobody knows what God’s will is.” Is he right? Does a lack of certainty about the future translate into not knowing God’s will?

The concept of knowing God’s will is often limited to discerning what specific situation we will be in at some future time. Although seeking God’s specific leading is part of it, another aspect that is just as vital is to follow the clearly defined elements of God’s will each and every day.

For instance, it is God’s will for us to be good citizens as a challenge to those opposed to Christ (1 Peter 2:15), to give God thanks no matter what (1 Thess. 5:18), to be sanctified sexually, avoiding immorality (1 Thess. 4:3), to live under the Holy Spirit’s control (Eph. 5:18), to sing to Him (v.19), and to submit to other believers (v.21).

As we submit to God in these and other areas, we are more likely to live in what Romans 12:2 calls God’s “good and acceptable and perfect will.” Living with God’s smile of approval leads to His guidance for the future.

As we seek to know God’s will for the future, we must also act on what we already know now.

Knowing God’s will for the future
Comes when we follow today
What He’s revealed in the Scriptures
As His commands to obey. —Sper

Love and obey the Lord every day, and He will unfold your future.

Read: Ephesians 5:17-21

. . . that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. —Romans 12:2
Bible in a year:
2 Samuel 9-11; Luke 15:11-32

1,858 posted on 04/20/2011 6:00:03 AM PDT by The Mayor (Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1857 | View Replies]

To: Kitty Mittens; JustAmy; Billie; yorkie; oldteen; ConorMacNessa; tiapam; Dubya; LUV W; FRiends; ...
MY WEDNESDAY HAS STARTED
WARM AND FUZZY!!

Saw my first hummingbird early
this morning, so I fixed
my food and have the feeder out now.
I'm always so happy when I
look out my kitchen window and see those
little cuties!
BBL!

1,859 posted on 04/20/2011 6:36:33 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1855 | View Replies]

To: WayzataJOHNN

I’m starving, Johnn!
I would love the Crab Cakes with Hollandaise, a nice warm Cinnamon Roll and coffee, please! Thank you! Beautiful scene!

1,860 posted on 04/20/2011 6:40:22 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))

To: jaycee

OK, your table is by the window, and the coffee is hot, the rolls are just out of the oven and the Crab is to die for!

The scene is so quiet, so peaceful, I keep it over my desk as a reminder that the pace of the world can slow to something wonderful in special places.

1,861 posted on 04/20/2011 6:49:33 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1860 | View Replies]

To: The Mayor; WayzataJOHNN; FRiends; Kitty Mittens; MEG33; All
Thank you for this wonderful message, Mr. Mayor!
It made me think of this beautiful old hymn!
Hope you will listen!

TRUST AND OBEY!

1,862 posted on 04/20/2011 6:56:12 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1858 | View Replies]

Thank you, Johnn. When I said I'm hungry, I really meant it!
(now I have to go to the kitchen and find something good to eat but it will never be as good as my imagination of your Crabcakes! LOL!)

1,863 posted on 04/20/2011 7:01:33 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1861 | View Replies]

“but it will never be as good as my imagination of your Crabcakes!”

I wished I could cook up some of the real ones for you, I love cooking.
I have collected (and tested more then a few recipes over the years, and if you ever need a recipe, let me know, I may have one on-hand.)

Nan and I are planning to move out of Minnesota (Manytaxasota) soon, and are looking at Sioux Falls, (No state income tax, and jobs moving in to get benefit of the reduced corporate tax structure. Maybe one day we can get together and I’ll cook up a meal for all of you yet!

1,864 posted on 04/20/2011 7:22:30 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1863 | View Replies]

Damage Estimates Double in Possum Kingdom Fire CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THESTORY

Four wildfires around and south of Possum Kingdom Reservoir have burned about 150,000 acres as of Tuesday and destroyed at least 149 homes.

1,865 posted on 04/20/2011 8:06:58 AM PDT by Dubya (JESUS SAVES)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1859 | View Replies]

Glad for you. Enjoy them.

1,866 posted on 04/20/2011 8:11:22 AM PDT by Dubya (JESUS SAVES)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1859 | View Replies]

To: Dubya
"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen."
1,867 posted on 04/20/2011 8:12:33 AM PDT by Dubya (JESUS SAVES)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1866 | View Replies]

Good morning, John!

BANANA PINEAPPLE BELGIAN WAFFLES sure sound like a winner this morning! Hold the sausage and toast, please.

Love todays view! Very peaceful.

1,868 posted on 04/20/2011 8:35:03 AM PDT by oldteen

To: oldteen

Your waffles are served, and I’ll snack on the sausage and toast so we’re all winners!

1,869 posted on 04/20/2011 8:39:51 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1868 | View Replies]

To: The Mayor
Good Wednesday Morning, Mayor!

Thank you for todays reading of God's Will!

1,870 posted on 04/20/2011 8:42:52 AM PDT by oldteen

Good idea!

Thank you kindly! :)

1,871 posted on 04/20/2011 8:46:10 AM PDT by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1869 | View Replies]

To: Dubya
This is just so unreal.

Prayers continue for the entire state of Texas.

1,872 posted on 04/20/2011 8:58:06 AM PDT by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1865 | View Replies]

Texas has it rough, between the border problems and the fires, it might be more useful to throw politicians in front of the fire and see if they can slow the fire as well as they slow the enforcements of laws!

Actually, best pray for rain, politicians not withstanding, rain may be the saving grace for them.

1,873 posted on 04/20/2011 9:03:17 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1872 | View Replies]

To: The Mayor; All
People that work ... and people that do not work ... (Of course there are exceptions) ... Much of the world is desperate for the basics of freedom from slavery, freedom of choice, and freedom from tyranny.

In American we have the good life available to those willing to work for it. Early day farmers did it all. raised sons and daughters to help them make a life. Hard work, everyday. Truly on their own 99% of the time. With the help of God and faith.

We have weakened our system by ‘indenturing’ many people to the welfare system, so they feel no need to do anything other than wait for the check in the mail and government commodities given our regularly; taken and then traded in some cases for smokes, or alcoholic drinks. We made programs (California) for training the immigrants of later times to have a means of work. .. Mostly they fail, due to corruption, and mismanagement. A few take hold and use the opportunity. The ones that do are almost spectacular in their success in their community.

How do we remedy this sorry state of affairs? Require some community service and work for all able bodied receiving welfare checks. Child care, office filing, cleaning, other basic tasks in schools, hospitals, prisons, communities, etc. Let us Add to their sense of self worth instead of taking it away. MO

1,874 posted on 04/20/2011 9:03:34 AM PDT by geologist (King James Bible only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1786 | View Replies]

To: Dubya; LUV W; MEG33; Billie

It is horrible! Texas - the beautiful state of Texas is on fire - and without rain, nothing stops it! Pray for rain!

1,875 posted on 04/20/2011 9:20:07 AM PDT by yorkie (Our POTUS makes me think the person I detested the MOST -- would have been better! (Hillary))

One of my favorite pics, Teenie!

1,876 posted on 04/20/2011 9:25:58 AM PDT by yorkie (Our POTUS makes me think the person I detested the MOST -- would have been better! (Hillary))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1806 | View Replies]

Wonderful u tube.

Thank you, for posting this touching story.

1,877 posted on 04/20/2011 9:27:11 AM PDT by geologist (King James Bible only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1788 | View Replies]

LOL! If I was a little doggie, I would be happy to go jogging like that.

1,878 posted on 04/20/2011 9:27:22 AM PDT by yorkie (Our POTUS makes me think the person I detested the MOST -- would have been better! (Hillary))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1820 | View Replies]

Woa! I’ll take the steak, JOHNN! M.R. I haven’t had a good steak for ages! And the view is spectacular! Thank you!

1,879 posted on 04/20/2011 9:35:08 AM PDT by yorkie (Our POTUS makes me think the person I detested the MOST -- would have been better! (Hillary))

May we give thanksgiving for the Holy Spirit, the Father sent to be with us. We are blessed daily in myriad ways by the blessings of god. We are to be light and salt, we are to love the LORD with all our heart, all our soul, with all or mind and with all our strength and our neighbor as our self. Father we bow before thee in adoration and worship.

1,880 posted on 04/20/2011 9:58:40 AM PDT by geologist (King James Bible only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)

Rejoice in the LORD!

This does not leave room for anything else, does it?

Because We Believe
Lyrics
Words and Music by Jamie Harvill and Nancy Gordon
Arranged by Jay Rouse

We believe in God the Father.
We believe in Christ the Son.
We believe in the Holy Spirit.
We are the Church and we stand as one.
We believe in the Holy Bible.
We believe in the virgin birth.
We believe in the resurrection.
Christ one day will return to earth.

Holy, holy, holy is our God.
Worthy, worthy, worthy is our King!
All glory and honor are His to receive;
To Jesus we sing, because we believe.

We believe in the blood of Jesus.
We believe in eternal life.
We believe in the blood that frees us
To become the Bride of Christ.

© 1996, this arr. 2008 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music, Integrity’s Praise Music (c/o
Integrity Media Inc.), and Mother’s Heart Music (c/o ROM Administration). All
rights reserved. Used by permission.

1,881 posted on 04/20/2011 10:01:28 AM PDT by geologist (King James Bible only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)

To: yorkie

OK, do you want a beef steak, a bison steak???

How do you like it and any onions, mushrooms or favorite topping?

1,882 posted on 04/20/2011 10:09:52 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1879 | View Replies]

best pray for rain

For the past month or so, everytime we get rain I pray that it will head southeast to Texas. They have been in need for quite some time!

1,883 posted on 04/20/2011 10:11:44 AM PDT by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1873 | View Replies]

To: yorkie; Dubya; LUV W; MEG33; Billie
Pray for rain!

AMEN....as more fires erupted yesterday!

Stay safe all you Texas Freepers!

1,884 posted on 04/20/2011 10:15:32 AM PDT by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1875 | View Replies]

To: yorkie

:)

1,885 posted on 04/20/2011 10:17:12 AM PDT by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1876 | View Replies]

To: Dubya; oldteen; yorkie

Indeed, it is very scary there at Possum Kingdom! Thanks for the prayers for our state and for the first responders who are fighting so hard to save her!......and for rain!

1,886 posted on 04/20/2011 10:20:15 AM PDT by LUV W (GOP? You need to fight like a GIRL!!~~Sarah Palin)

To: Billie; MEG33; jaycee; Kitty Mittens; Aquamarine; GodBlessUSA; Mama_Bear; The Mayor; ...

April 20, 2011

Graphic by MamaBear

"Money is like a sixth sense - and you can't make use of the other five without it."
- William Somerset Maugham

"Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort."
- Helen Gurley Brown

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
- Woody Allen

"Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money."
- Jackie Mason

"It doesn't matter if you're black or white... the only color that really matters is green."
- Family Guy

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."
- Errol Flynn

"The safest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it in your pocket."
- Kin Hubbard

1,887 posted on 04/20/2011 10:51:44 AM PDT by JustAmy (I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1886 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy; Billie; GodBlessUSA; Lady Jag; yorkie; jaycee; Diver Dave; LUV W; Mama_Bear; DollyCali; ...

HAPPY WARM AND FUZZY WEDNESDAY!

Enjoy your Wednesday!!!

Lamh Foistenach Abu!
1,888 posted on 04/20/2011 10:53:34 AM PDT by ConorMacNessa (HM/2 USN, 3/5 Marines, RVN '69 - St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1887 | View Replies]

To: Billie; MEG33; jaycee; Mama_Bear; yorkie; Kitty Mittens; The Mayor; GodBlessUSA; gardengirl; ...

Happy Warm Fuzzy Wednesday, FRiends.

This week has been and will continue to be very busy and very stressful.

Marissa has a report on Hawaii that is due on Tuesday.
I have been proofing it and making suggestions as I type it for her.
She thinks she is finished ... wait until she sees all that I want her to change or add.

Also, my friend from 8th grade passed away last Friday.
She has been a part of my life for 61 years. I will miss her.
Her funeral is tomorrow so I may not be here to open the doors.

Thank you all for your many contributions to Amy's Place.
I appreciate you.

I'm adding my prayers to the all the prayers being offered for those affected by the fires in Texas.
I will continue to pray for rain.

Have a beautiful day.

1,889 posted on 04/20/2011 11:23:03 AM PDT by JustAmy (I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.)

I bet you are a good cook, Johnn! When is your and Nan’s move to Minnesota going to be?

It would be wonderful if a lot of us who have become good friends on Amy’s Place, could get together. We all live so far apart that I don’t see that happening but who knows?

I bet Minnesota would be a good place to live! I hope so and hope you two will be happy there! Good Luck on your new journey!!

1,890 posted on 04/20/2011 11:28:41 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1864 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy

Condolences and prayers

1,891 posted on 04/20/2011 11:29:32 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1889 | View Replies]

To: ConorMacNessa

Hi Conor! Hope your Wednesday is going great for you. Those kitties would make anyone feel Warm & Fuzzy! Thank you!

1,892 posted on 04/20/2011 11:31:08 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1888 | View Replies]

We’re LEAVING Minnesota, (Or Many-tax-a-sota as we call it), the taxes are prohibitive (They drove companies out of the state) We’re heading to Sioux Falls S.D. and lower costs!

1,893 posted on 04/20/2011 11:32:03 AM PDT by WayzataJOHNN ( (We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them! ))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1890 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy; Mama_Bear

The graphic is so cute and I love those funny quotes. Some of them hit the nail on the head!! Thank you ladies!

1,894 posted on 04/20/2011 11:34:43 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))

To: FRiends; JustAmy; oldteen; yorkie; Dubya; LUV W; Billie; Kitty Mittens; lonestar; potlatch

Thank you for the prayers for rain in Texas
Joinng in your prayers.
May God protect the firefighters and all in harms way.

1,895 posted on 04/20/2011 11:38:02 AM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military Men And Women)

I’m sorry Johnn, that I misread your post. I was thinking you said “moving out to Minnesota” instead of “moving out of Minnesota”. By the way, I wasn’t positive where you did live.

Sioux Falls sounds good with no state income tax and the jobs moving in to get the reduced corporate tax structure. Maybe you can find a good job there!

Its funny how we read something and get one word out of place and get it all wrong. NOW I KNOW FOR SURE! LOL! Thanks!

1,896 posted on 04/20/2011 11:41:05 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1864 | View Replies]

Thanks Jaycee! Going well with me - how are you doing today?

Lamh Foistenach Abu!
1,897 posted on 04/20/2011 11:43:31 AM PDT by ConorMacNessa (HM/2 USN, 3/5 Marines, RVN '69 - St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1892 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy

With Deepest Sympathy

For the loss of your dear friend.
Take care and don't worry about us.

1,898 posted on 04/20/2011 11:45:23 AM PDT by MEG33 (God Bless Our Military Men And Women)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1889 | View Replies]

To: MEG33; LUV W; Billie; Dubya; FRiends; All
And prayers for all our FRiends in Texas
and for those we don't know! I keep up with the terrible fires
that Texas is experiencing!
We must continue praying!

1,899 posted on 04/20/2011 11:56:50 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1895 | View Replies]

To: ConorMacNessa

Doing good here. I’ve been doing some cleaning and now I am worn out...LOL! Getting ready for my afternoon nap!

1,900 posted on 04/20/2011 11:59:12 AM PDT by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1897 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 1,801-1,8501,851-1,9001,901-1,950 ... 2,951-2,981 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson