Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: hattend

I really don’t know for certain what it looks like as I haven’t made any of these dressing recipes up, since I just found them today in my mother’s cookbook. I am assuming that these salad dressings are the same ones my mother made when I was little. My maternal grandmother and both her sisters all made the same salad dressing when I was little, so I can only assume at this point that this is the German one they all made.

The cole slaw dressing I posted earlier and this salad dressing would both appear to be white and milky dressings based on their ingredients. The ones I remember eating as a child were also milky. At this point I am hoping that these are the dressings I remember.

I was in Germany in 1975 and I remember the wonderful salad dressing I had in German restaurants too and it was very similar to the one I remember as a child. My mother was on that same trip to Germany with me and I remember her commenting that it was just like the salad dressing her grandmother had made.

The soap reference tells me that this recipe is indeed a German recipe, as only my great grandmother that was born in Germany would have used that reference, since she often told stories of her family making their own soap. I can only assume at this point in time that this recipe is like the salad dressing you and I had in Germany.

By the time I started cooking other things besides pickles, jam, and baked goods on a regular basis with my mother, we had started using a lot of store bought salad dressings in my family, so I don’t ever remember actually making any of the salad dressings.

Popular store bought salad dressings in the 1960’s that aren’t around much today in the stores are Green goddess and Nalley’s Chutney salad dressings. I also remember mixing up a lot of Good Seasons Italian Dressing that you would mix up in the bottle that sometimes came with the salad dressing mix. The dressing bottles had lines for adding the vinegar, water, and oil. I still have two of those bottles that I use when I make home made salad dressings. The rest of the store bought ones we tried are for the most part still around today.

It sounds like you will probably get the salad dressing made before I get a chance to make it and try it, since I am out of lettuce and cabbage at the moment, so I won’t be making any of them until I go to the store on Monday. Please let me know if it is the same dressing if you try it this weekend.

45 posted on 05/28/2011 2:02:26 PM PDT by Flamenco Lady
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies ]

To: Flamenco Lady

Well, I probably won’t get to it real soon. I’m working/living in the Alaska bush so it’s hard to get ingredients. Those that I can get are expensive.

I’m headed south to California in September. May get to try it then. I have all these threads saved for later printing.

You might surprise yourself and make a batch of dressing long before me. Let me know how it comes out if you do.

49 posted on 05/28/2011 2:27:22 PM PDT by hattend (Obama is better than OJ... He found a killer while on the golf course.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson