Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: ShadowAce

I don’t know if I’ve told this story before, but at a very large and well known financial company, the testing lab signed off on a new image that was to be pushed out to company desktops.

For whatever reason, the company (which I won’t name) pushing out the image added a piece of software to the image that was pushed out.

Blew up 1/3 of the desktops. The only reason all of the desktops weren’t blown is that the image was only pushed out to 1/3 of the computers.

1,000 computers were put out of commission.

The company pushing out the image had added a virus protection program to an image that already had a virus protection program. The financial company got the computers back online by disabling all virus protection.

10 posted on 06/16/2011 12:15:17 PM PDT by stylin_geek (Never underestimate the power of government to distort markets)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies ]

To: stylin_geek
I've got a couple myself--

I company I worked at was expanding their datacenter--not the physical space, because they had/have plenty of room. No, they needed more clusters, so they bought 13 more 70-node clusters from their vendor.

Their cooling system couldn't handle it as I began turning them on. They couldn't get any more big chillers that quickly, so they ended up renting a "portable" chiller for several months, just to keep this (very large) data center semi-cool.

12 posted on 06/16/2011 12:20:42 PM PDT by ShadowAce (Linux -- The Ultimate Windows Service Pack)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson