Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Big fast-food chains get low marks in taste test (Duh!!)
Consumer Reports via msnbc ^ | 30 June

Posted on 06/30/2011 8:54:06 AM PDT by flowerplough

McDonald's Corp, Burger King, KFC and Taco Bell are the biggest U.S. fast-food chains, but they lag smaller rivals like In-N-Out Burger and Chick-fil-A when it comes to taste, according to a new survey released on Thursday by Consumer Reports.

"Chains like McDonald's and Taco Bell boast supersized values, but consumers don't necessarily think they offer much bang for the buck," said Tod Marks, Consumer Reports' senior projects editor.

The survey, based on responses from more than 36,700 subscribers who made more than 98,000 visits to 53 fast-food chains, found that the big four U.S. fast-food chains had "uninspiring food" and "only so-so service."

No more than 11 percent of respondents found the food at those big brands to be "excellent," while a higher number -- 15 to 19 percent -- found their food to be fair, poor, or very poor.

Southern California favorite In-N-Out Burger captured the No. 1 spot among all of the chains with high rankings for food, service, value and speed.

McDonald's ranked last in the hamburger category, with particularly poor performance in food satisfaction, to finish just behind Burger King.

(Excerpt) Read more at msnbc.msn.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Food; Weird Stuff
KEYWORDS:
Such checklisted, clipboarded idiots at Consumer Reports. I like their car reliablility rankings, but similar methods don't necessarily apply to other categories.

"poor performance in food satisfaction"

Food satisfaction???

It's fast food!

Most calories per dollar, in the shortest time possible. You knew that going in, eat up shut up, and git!

Food satisfaction, my @ss.

1 posted on 06/30/2011 8:54:08 AM PDT by flowerplough
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: flowerplough
McDonald's ranked last in the hamburger category, with particularly poor performance in food satisfaction, to finish just behind Burger King

Does anyone else remember when Burger King used to be good? They still flame-broil the burgers, don't they? Yet, they taste horrible. What happened?

2 posted on 06/30/2011 9:01:00 AM PDT by Responsibility2nd (I'm a Birther - And a Deather)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I do like McDonalds (especially their fries and salads), but jack in the box has the best-tasting fast food, IMHO.

3 posted on 06/30/2011 9:01:20 AM PDT by Marie (I agree with everything that Rick Perry is saying. I just wish that *he* did. (NO to Bush II))

Screw you Consumer Reports. First you shill for Obamacare, now you are pushing the Regimes agenda on fast food joints. I don’t think I will take my eating advice from a pack of Upper East Side effete snobs. Your guys definition of fast food are the canapes and hors d’œuvre they serve at Manhattan cocktail parties.

4 posted on 06/30/2011 9:04:30 AM PDT by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)

My Favorite BIG fast food restaurants:

1) White Castle
2) Arby’s
3) In-N-Out
4) Whataburger
5) Carl Jr’s

5 posted on 06/30/2011 9:05:57 AM PDT by Le Chien Rouge

To: Marie

I try to avoid fast food places but here in FL, I prefer Checkers, especially their chili hotdogs. Burger King’s quality has definitely fallen off over the last couple of years. One of these days, I’d like to try one of those In-and-Out burgers.

6 posted on 06/30/2011 9:06:01 AM PDT by Ax
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

My fast food of choice when possible has always been Taco Bell. Last week, I ate a new 99 cent Burrito Melt or something like that. My taste for food is not too refined, but that thing tasted like stale sewage. If I wasn’t on a 500 mile road trip and on a schedule, I would have tossed it out the window. However, I was afraid the possums would pass it by and I’d be on the hook for littering.

7 posted on 06/30/2011 9:06:42 AM PDT by cyclotic (Boy Scouts-Developing Leaders in a World of Followers.)

To: Responsibility2nd
Does anyone else remember when Burger King used to be good? They still flame-broil the burgers, don't they? Yet, they taste horrible. What happened?

I like Burger King, but I'm choosy about the location. I like the ones with a lot of senior employees.

8 posted on 06/30/2011 9:08:30 AM PDT by Dr. Scarpetta
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: cyclotic

These days, when I feel the urge to eat at Taco Hell I just flush a $5 bill down the toilet. It’s the same basic effect without all the discomfort.

9 posted on 06/30/2011 9:09:14 AM PDT by ZirconEncrustedTweezers ("I shall refrain from using profanity, except when discussing house rent and taxes." - Mark Twain)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: cyclotic

These days, when I feel the urge to eat at Taco Hell I just flush a $5 bill down the toilet. It’s the same basic effect without all the discomfort.

10 posted on 06/30/2011 9:09:23 AM PDT by ZirconEncrustedTweezers ("I shall refrain from using profanity, except when discussing house rent and taxes." - Mark Twain)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I have to agree with them on In-N-Out. It’s probably my favorite place to stop for dinner when I’m on the road.

The food is always good, as is the service. And it is very rare that I walk into one that isn’t busy.

11 posted on 06/30/2011 9:12:48 AM PDT by ZirconEncrustedTweezers ("I shall refrain from using profanity, except when discussing house rent and taxes." - Mark Twain)

To: ZirconEncrustedTweezers
The food is always good, as is the service. And it is very rare that I walk into one that isn’t busy.

Still long lines at the new Texas locations, the cars are lined up probably for at least a quarter of a mile.

12 posted on 06/30/2011 9:13:51 AM PDT by dfwgator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

I like KFC....peta hates them, and that is good enough for me....

13 posted on 06/30/2011 9:14:51 AM PDT by joe fonebone (Project Gunwalker, this will make watergate look like the warm up band......)

I always assumed they served gourmet food, but since I wanted to spend more money for my gourmet meals, I always passed them by.

14 posted on 06/30/2011 9:15:40 AM PDT by JLS (How to turn a recession into a depression: elect a Dem president with a big majorities in Congress)

In-N-Out Burger captured the No. 1 spot among all of the chains with high rankings for food, service, value and speed.

In-N-Out can be quite slow at times.

15 posted on 06/30/2011 9:15:57 AM PDT by GSWarrior

To: Le Chien Rouge
"White Castle"
AAAHHhhhhhhhhh....the rat-burger palace...love 'em
16 posted on 06/30/2011 9:16:25 AM PDT by joe fonebone (Project Gunwalker, this will make watergate look like the warm up band......)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: joe fonebone

“I like KFC....peta hates them, and that is good enough for me....”

I remember a leftard ex-coworker of mine saying, “They’re so horrible to those chickens! They cut their beaks off.” Apparently she didn’t realize that if that step weren’t taken, the birds would peck each other to death and eat each other.

From then on, I made it a point to refer to the restaurant in her presence as Kentucky Fried Cruelty.

17 posted on 06/30/2011 9:20:43 AM PDT by ZirconEncrustedTweezers ("I shall refrain from using profanity, except when discussing house rent and taxes." - Mark Twain)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I remember when McDonald’s opened.

A Hamburger was 15 cents , and you could get a hamburger, Fires and a coke. You ordered it and they handed it to you, you were out and gone.

Now they have 15 different kinds of sandwich’s pie, Salad you order and it takes 15 minutes to wait and get your food.

I believe a it’s time for a new new McDonalds . Where they sell a Hamburger French Fries and a coke and if you want something else you can go somewhere else.

18 posted on 06/30/2011 9:29:07 AM PDT by Venturer

To: Venturer
Now they have 15 different kinds of sandwich’s pie, Salad you order and it takes 15 minutes to wait and get your food.

That's why In-N-Out works, Burgers, Fries, Shakes...that's it.

19 posted on 06/30/2011 9:30:12 AM PDT by dfwgator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

“I believe a it’s time for a new new McDonalds . Where they sell a Hamburger French Fries and a coke and if you want something else you can go somewhere else.”

It’s called In-N-Out Burger.

20 posted on 06/30/2011 9:35:29 AM PDT by DigitalVideoDude (It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit. -Ronald Reagan)

I paid $3.69 for a Chick-fil-A sandwich, that was an over cooked chicken piece on a bun, that was all there was to it.

21 posted on 06/30/2011 9:43:25 AM PDT by razorback-bert (Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.)

White Castle. Ahhhh..... A favorite of mine.

4 surf and turfs, clam strips, onion rings and a large chocolate shake.

Packs and packs of rolaids and 2 days in the bathroom. God I miss that.

22 posted on 06/30/2011 9:43:47 AM PDT by EQAndyBuzz (Liberals who graduate from Ivy League schools are the dumbest people on the planet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: dfwgator

Never heard of them around here. Where are they?

23 posted on 06/30/2011 9:46:19 AM PDT by Venturer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

They’re named “fast food” not “tasty gourmet food” for a reason.

24 posted on 06/30/2011 9:46:57 AM PDT by bgill

California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and now, Texas.

25 posted on 06/30/2011 9:49:19 AM PDT by dfwgator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

I like Taco Cabana, but the nearest one is 700 miles away.

26 posted on 06/30/2011 10:02:31 AM PDT by Fiji Hill

To: Marie

For fast food, nothing beats Popeyes Fried Chicken. I tell my hubby that if I am ever on death row, my last meal will be Popeyes spicy and a large Coke, maybe with some red beans and rice on the side.

27 posted on 06/30/2011 10:06:11 AM PDT by sportutegrl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: EQAndyBuzz

Surf & Turf @ Whitey’s, you have some ‘splainin to do here. I’ve been eating WC all my life and I’ve never heard of Surf & Turf. I can imagine what you mean, but I want to hear it from you. Thanks...

28 posted on 06/30/2011 10:15:00 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

West Coast, Mountain states and Texas. I’ve only visited them in California. You can get several variants of the same basic burger/cheeseburger, fries, shakes and soft drinks. They are clean, fast and crowded. In the Chicago metro, my favorite is Portillo’s followed closely by Mickey’s (love their Gyros) and Nicks.

29 posted on 06/30/2011 10:18:18 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

I go to the drive-thru at Mac's. I still like it.

I pay for my meal at one window...when I get to the next window 2 secs later the server alreaady has his/her hand out the window dangling my bag of food.

I've re-discovered McDonal'ds double cheeseburgers. I hadn't had them for years but they're only a dollar now and they taste just as good as I remember.

30 posted on 06/30/2011 10:21:11 AM PDT by Siena Dreaming

The Dairy Queen here in my home town has consistently excellent food.

31 posted on 06/30/2011 10:22:23 AM PDT by patriot08 (TEXAS GAL- born and bred and proud of it!)

To: GSWarrior
If you are into mayo and onions, it's got to be Nations Giant Hamburgers.

32 posted on 06/30/2011 10:22:30 AM PDT by GSWarrior
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: OriginalChristian

Burger and filet of fish. Put cheese on it and it rocks.

33 posted on 06/30/2011 10:44:54 AM PDT by EQAndyBuzz (Liberals who graduate from Ivy League schools are the dumbest people on the planet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Nobody stood up for Wendy’s? Great burgers, real cut potato fries and their Baja salad is pretty good too.

34 posted on 06/30/2011 10:54:30 AM PDT by TruthBeforeAll (To a liberal any Gov. program that is an utter failure is only so because there's not enough of it.)

To: razorback-bert
I paid $3.69 for a Chick-fil-A sandwich, that was an over cooked chicken piece on a bun, that was all there was to it.

Sorry you got an over-cooked one. That's rare. When they're not overcooked, but still nice and juicy, it's nearly impossible to beat one. Real chicken breast. Moist. Nicely seasoned. Perfectly fried. Compare the price to chicken sandwiches from other restaurants.

Truett Cathy is a fine man who still refuses to open Chick-fil-A on Sundays. If you say "you're welcome" to a worker, they are required to say "my pleasure," no matter how many times you say "you're welcome." You want to hire a good kid? Find one who worked/works at Chick-fil-A. The gifts in the kids' meals are often Bible-based.

Not saying that has anything to do with the food. I'm just saying morals and customer service are a big, big deal with Mr. Cathy.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him and working with Chick-fil-A on several occasions, when they were supporting the Boy Scouts.

35 posted on 06/30/2011 11:39:50 AM PDT by Scoutmaster (You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: TruthBeforeAll
Nobody stood up for Wendy’s? Great burgers, real cut potato fries

Wendy's fries are frozen, just like McD's and BK's. Only apparent difference is that Wendy's have a bit of potato skin left on them and use "sea salt." Nothing special, in my opinion.

I do prefer Wendy's burgers to the other two, though. Their chocolate frosties are good, too.
36 posted on 06/30/2011 11:48:21 AM PDT by irishjuggler
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

You have to make it yourself or they make it for you?

37 posted on 06/30/2011 1:40:27 PM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

I like KFC....peta hates them, and that is good enough for me....

Most of the KFCs in and around Austin have closed. We like Bush's fried chicken. Really ticked off the libs when it opened. The have the best tea in town.

38 posted on 06/30/2011 2:04:24 PM PDT by Arrowhead1952 (zero hates Texas and we hate him back. He ain't my president either.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

It’s on the menu. A least it was in Edison, NJ.

39 posted on 06/30/2011 5:31:59 PM PDT by EQAndyBuzz (Liberals who graduate from Ivy League schools are the dumbest people on the planet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

I eat way too much fast food. But here is my list:

1. Skyline Chili
2. Frisch’s Big Boy
3. Wendy’s
4. Subbys
5. White Castle

Of course my kids will choose Mickey D’s every time.

40 posted on 06/30/2011 6:17:17 PM PDT by GreenLanternCorps ("Barack Obama" is Swahili for "Jimmy Carter".)

Best places in my area is
1. Subway
2.Wendy's & Little Ceasars Pizza tied
3. Krystal
4. Arby's
5. Burger King where English speaking legals work and it is not a training store

Worse
1. Mickey D's poor tasting food especially fries
2. Sonic at least six closed in my area in the last year and food was greasy.
3.Domino's {Ceasars has them beat by miles for taste}

41 posted on 06/30/2011 6:46:12 PM PDT by cva66snipe (Two Choices left for U.S. One Nation Under GOD or One Nation Under Judgment? Which one say ye?)

To: Scoutmaster

Nice post!

42 posted on 06/30/2011 9:39:28 PM PDT by annie laurie (All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

I’ll look, but I’ve never seen it on the menu in Missouri. If it is we’ll find out today as I’m stopping by.

Thanks for the information...

43 posted on 07/01/2011 6:37:59 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

Truett Cathy is one of the most visible practicing Christian businessmen ever. His Christian ‘DNA’ permeates nearly every aspect of the Chic-Fil-A business. He is on my highly admired list, and the list is a short one.

44 posted on 07/01/2011 6:45:29 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

There is a white castle in Missouri? I’m in KC. Where where where??.

45 posted on 07/01/2011 7:44:51 AM PDT by EQAndyBuzz (Liberals who graduate from Ivy League schools are the dumbest people on the planet.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: OriginalChristian; annie laurie
I've been a fan of Chick-fil-A since around 1969 - initially based on the quality of its food. When Chick-fil-A says a 'chicken sandwich', you get a pressure-fried boneless chicken breast sandwich. That's it. A real chicken breast. Nothing shaped, extruded, formed, or created by machine or man. And it's good.

I've eaten many times at the original Dwarf House restaurant where the sandwich was created.

Here's the story behind Chick-fil-A's 'Closed on Sunday' policy from the Chick-fil-A website:

Of the many unique characteristics that distinguish Chick-fil-A, Inc. from other quick-service restaurant companies, the most notable - and the most asked about - tradition is that of closing all of its 1,560-plus* restaurants on Sunday. Following is a brief explanation of how the “Closed-on-Sunday” policy started and why it will continue to remain in place.

Since Truett Cathy, founder and CEO of Chick-fil-A, opened his first restaurant in 1946, he has made his Closed-on-Sunday policy as much a part of the Chick-fil-A brand as the original Chick-fil-A® Chicken Sandwich. While many question the chain's policy and how Chick-fil-A could forgo sales on one of the busiest days for food service, Cathy answers challengers by saying closing on Sunday is one of the best business decisions he has ever made.

Cathy's practice of closing his restaurants on Sunday is unique to the restaurant business and a testament to his faith in God. Within the first week of business at his Dwarf Grill restaurant in Hapeville, Ga. more than 60 years ago, Cathy knew that he would not deal with money on the "Lord's Day." Today, the Closed-on-Sunday policy is reflected in the company's Corporate Purpose:

To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us.

To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

Cathy believes that being closed on Sunday says two important things to people: One, that there must be something special about the way Chick-fil-A people view their spiritual life and, two, that there must be something special about how Chick-fil-A feels about its people.

Cathy believes that by giving employees Sunday off as a day for family, worship, fellowship or rest, the company attracts quality people. And people, Cathy says, are the cornerstone of all that Chick-fil-A does as a chain. Chick-fil-A has the opportunity to attract individuals who want to be associated with an organization with a values-based vision, that is purpose-driven and that truly values a balance between work and family.

In today's business world, the Closed-on-Sunday policy may seem to be a costly business decision. But, as company sales figures have consistently proven, Chick-fil-A restaurants often generate more business per square foot in six days than many other quick-service restaurants produce in seven. Chick-fil-A generated more than $3.58 billion dollars in sales in 2010, and the chain has enjoyed sales gains for 43 consecutive years (every year since the first Chick-fil-A restaurant opened in 1967). Cathy credits "blessings from the Lord" for the great success the company has enjoyed, and he remains as committed as ever to maintaining the Closed-on-Sunday policy. "I feel it's the best business decision I ever made," says Cathy.

As a customer, I can go into a Chick-fil-A (except on a Sunday, of course), and I know it will be clean and the employees will be polite and responsive.

At the four Chick-fil-A's closest to me, if you bring in a church bulletin on Monday from any denomination from the previous weekend's services, you receipt a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. If a family of five comes in with five bulletins, all five family members receive a free sandwich.

46 posted on 07/01/2011 12:33:07 PM PDT by Scoutmaster (You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

Oh yeah, they are all over St. Louis. The closest one to you in the St. Louis area would be in St. Charles. I’m quite surprised that they are not in Kansas City. There may be one near Columbia MO, I don’t know for certain however.

47 posted on 07/03/2011 6:52:36 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Thanks SM, and isn’t it awesome. The only thing I didn’t know about your post was the bit about the bulletins as coupons. Blessed 4th to you and yours...

48 posted on 07/03/2011 6:54:59 AM PDT by OriginalChristian (The end of America, as founded, began when the first Career Politician was elected...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson