Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

How did the enemy know that their were ALOT of Spec Ops guys on THAT helicopter?
07 Apug 2011 | US Navy Vet

Posted on 08/07/2011 9:31:04 AM PDT by US Navy Vet

Makes ya wonder.

TOPICS:
KEYWORDS: afghanistan; navyseals; treason
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-218 next last

1 posted on 08/07/2011 9:31:11 AM PDT by US Navy Vet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: US Navy Vet

because there were several afghanis on board too? It only takes one with a live grenade.

2 posted on 08/07/2011 9:34:11 AM PDT by Flag_This (Real presidents don't bow.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I would bet it was pure chance.

3 posted on 08/07/2011 9:34:22 AM PDT by Psycho_Bunny (Public employee unions are the barbarian hordes of our time.)

Could have been a lucky hit, could have been a helicopter ambush.

Not much that can be done about a lucky hit but a helicopter ambush may have been made possible by a variety of factors.

4 posted on 08/07/2011 9:34:49 AM PDT by fso301

yes

5 posted on 08/07/2011 9:36:41 AM PDT by Beckett08 (Better a Mommy in The White House than a Commie in The White House)

“Alot”?

6 posted on 08/07/2011 9:37:08 AM PDT by humblegunner (The kinder, gentler version...)

Just a thought....20 of the Seal Team 6 members on that plane were the ones who killed Osoma Bin Ladin.
Are there any left to tell their side of the story? Were they all on that plane? I'd like to know. I was hoping to hear from at least one of them someday.

(Insurgents shot down the helicopter during fighting late Saturday in eastern Afghanistan. Most the Americans belonged to the same elite Navy SEALs unit that killed Osama bin Laden......http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/military/7685948.html)

7 posted on 08/07/2011 9:37:36 AM PDT by concerned about politics ("Get thee behind me, Liberal")

I wondered that back when 13 Ohio snipers were taken the day after a special seat election.

Hey when the guy in charge with all the clearance is a foreign born felony fraudulent federal form submitting muzzie, you have to expect things like this!!!!

8 posted on 08/07/2011 9:37:48 AM PDT by rawcatslyentist (It is necessary that a person be born of a father who is a citizen; ~Vattel's Law of Nations)

"How did the enemy know that their were ALOT of Spec Ops guys on THAT helicopter?"

One word....barry. He should be arrested and hung for treason!

9 posted on 08/07/2011 9:38:02 AM PDT by NoGrayZone ("Islamophobia: The irrational fear of being beheaded." Andrew Klavan of PJTV)

To: fso301

Some reports say they were going in to rescue other seals.

Sounds like a set-up to me.

Also, who has access to comm and intel in the area ? (non-us nato types)

10 posted on 08/07/2011 9:38:09 AM PDT by maine yankee (I got my Governor at 'Marden's')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: fso301

Yeah...like all those personal guards for Clinton that died at Waco.....

11 posted on 08/07/2011 9:38:13 AM PDT by spokeshave (Obamas approval ratings are so low, Kenyans are accusing him of being born in the USA.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I’ve found very little in the way of specific details about the incident but one article made it sound very much like “blackhawk down”.

It said these guys were the backup crew for the initial assault. This was supposed to be a house raid and capture just like Mogadishu. The first crew ran into unexpected resistance and called for assistance and the Chinook in question copped an RPG while coming in. Let’s assume all the element of surprise was gone and the big, fat chopper was coming in slowly like a sitting duck for several minutes, the perfect target, again, just like Mogadishu.

Until I read otherwise, this is what I’m guessing at.

Quite possibly the intelligence was compromised or somebody in the Karzai government had to sign off on it and they were lured into an ambush. Just like the mysterious ARVN general who was in the loop and who gave away all the SOG ops in Vietnam

12 posted on 08/07/2011 9:38:21 AM PDT by sinanju

To: Flag_This
because there were several afghanis on board too? It only takes one with a live grenade.

Or a relative of any of the 7 Afghanis on board. Stupid.

13 posted on 08/07/2011 9:39:06 AM PDT by montag813
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: sinanju

Sounds like the same type of operation used when the 7 CIA guys were blown up.

14 posted on 08/07/2011 9:40:43 AM PDT by Sacajaweau
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

ding, ding, ding!

And you sir are the first here to write what I have been thinking... Inside Job by our Afgan “allies”.

Would like to get out of that crap hole and just let them go fully back into the stone age. All our lives and all our treasure are being wasted.

If we had a brain we could fight them here by exclusion. But no, we have to be “fair” and “reasonable” and politically correct and respect all people and all that other crap.

15 posted on 08/07/2011 9:40:46 AM PDT by Sequoyah101 (Half the people are below average.)

To: NoGrayZone

You think that just because the communist in our White House hates Americans, and especially hates the American military, that he would leak the information to have our people killed? I find that as unlikely as that he would intentionally wreck our economy or pass a "health care" bill that would kill jobs and provide worse medical care for everyone.

16 posted on 08/07/2011 9:41:18 AM PDT by Pollster1 (Natural born citizen of the USA, with the birth certificate to prove it)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Beckett08

Having read the book: Spooky 8 I have no doubt that this was more than a coincidence.

17 posted on 08/07/2011 9:41:34 AM PDT by mcshot (Hey we're turning upside down compliments of career politicians.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

The bad guys are allowed to shoot back, you know....

18 posted on 08/07/2011 9:42:00 AM PDT by PGR88 (I'm so open-minded my brains fell out)

To: concerned about politics

It almost sounds like a Ron Brown murder.

19 posted on 08/07/2011 9:45:29 AM PDT by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: maine yankee
Sounds like a set-up to me.

I told my husband, as soon as I heard this, that if NONE of the Bin Laden team was still alive to tell their story - it was a hit. The Bin Ladin story ends with Obomas description of events only.

20 posted on 08/07/2011 9:45:35 AM PDT by concerned about politics ("Get thee behind me, Liberal")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Pollster1

Man, you better watch your back.

You speak heresy. Not good around here.

You being a newbie and all.

21 posted on 08/07/2011 9:48:06 AM PDT by 11johara28
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Don’t they shoot at all copters? They don’t really care how many are on them. One down is one less to worry about. I would imagine they would have downed if if there were no passengers.

22 posted on 08/07/2011 9:48:09 AM PDT by Right Wing Assault (Dick Obama is more inexperienced now than he was before he was elected.)

Allow me to weigh in here.

In all liklihood, the enemy had no idea these guys were SEALS. All they knew was that it was a helicopter full of coalition forces. Period. It’s a lucrative target if you have an RPG. Lucky hit, since the RPG is not a guided missile.

Furthermore, the SEALS that took out UBL were drawn from several different sub-elements of SEAL Tm 6, according to the New Yorker article. Therefore, it is possible that some of the SEALS were on the UBL mission, but highly unlikely that it was the exact same guys. That was a one time compilation of some of their best guys on SEAL Tm 6. I bet there were maybe 4-8 guys that were on that mission. THat doesn’t detract from the loss, just a clarification that probably needs to be made.

23 posted on 08/07/2011 9:49:04 AM PDT by GodfearingTexan

What kind of a commander puts all of his Golden Eggs in one paper basket?
This stinks to the very top like a rotten egg.

24 posted on 08/07/2011 9:49:15 AM PDT by bunkerhill7

To: Pollster1
Please, no more pics of the TOTUS. I cannot take much more of this. Having this as POTUS was embarrassing enough, now the downgrade and another on it's way.

I keep saying this seem to be spiraling out of control so quickly....but it seems to have picked up even more speed.

I feel f&^%$d and afraid. I work for a small business, 12 of us. We're already struggling. We each took a 1-2 hour cut in hours so that no one had to be laid off.

That was adjustable. I noticed our credit card payments have been exceeding our cash deposits. With this down grade, aren't interest rates going to sky rocket?

If so, patients will opt for a less costly extraction, rather than a root canal and crown.

We've also recently noticed insurance companies, in which we participate with, are sending letters (within the 30 day requirement) stating “it's under review”. They are holding onto their money for as long as possible.

25 posted on 08/07/2011 9:51:18 AM PDT by NoGrayZone ("Islamophobia: The irrational fear of being beheaded." Andrew Klavan of PJTV)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

"How did the enemy know that their were ALOT of Spec Ops guys on THAT helicopter?"

Uhhh . . . wall to wall press coverage?

26 posted on 08/07/2011 9:51:39 AM PDT by YHAOS (you betcha!)

To: mcshot

Our commander in chief and his side kick Biden, did not help with the endless electioneering about “Seal Team Six”

Bush would have gone to his grave with no one knowing “he” got Bin Laden before endangering the lives of these men.

27 posted on 08/07/2011 9:52:58 AM PDT by Beckett08 (Better a Mommy in The White House than a Commie in The White House)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

A chinook is a major target and a slow one at that. Lucky shot.

28 posted on 08/07/2011 9:53:33 AM PDT by Peter from Rutland

To: humblegunner
Alot

29 posted on 08/07/2011 9:54:42 AM PDT by null and void (Day 927. When your only tools are a Hammer & Sickle, everything looks like a Capitalist...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: bunkerhill7

Karzai was the first public official to make a statement about this mission. I wonder if he and his staff knew about it in advance.
It is a lucky shot hitting a helo or aircraft with an RPG, but I’ve seen it done in VN IV Corp. But they all could have been flying into a trap set by intelligence being planted.
We should be flying flags and half mast today.

30 posted on 08/07/2011 9:55:40 AM PDT by Oldexpat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Sequoyah101
Would like to get out of that crap hole and just let them go fully back into the stone age.

Muslims believe in an external locus of control. They believe EVERYTHING is fate, and NOTHING is their own fault. For example (I like using this one): A muslim driver takes his eyes off the road to beat his wife, and a small boy riding a camel gets hit by his car and dies. Instead of blaming the driver, the muslims blame the boy. It was "fate" that put the boy there, and the driver is simply a victim of it.

It doesn't do any good to help these people. They don't believe in self accountability or responsibility. They don't believe in self empowerment. They see themselves as perpetual victims no matter what we do.

31 posted on 08/07/2011 9:56:56 AM PDT by concerned about politics ("Get thee behind me, Liberal")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

"20 of the Seal Team 6 members on that plane were the ones who killed Osoma Bin Ladin."

Every news report I have listened to and read says they WERE NOT the ones who killed Osama. They were from the same unit though.

Quote: "We don't believe that any of the special operators who were killed were involved in the bin Laden operation," a senior U.S. military official told Fox News.

Read more:Fox News

32 posted on 08/07/2011 9:57:38 AM PDT by Spunky (“To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abh)

Oh, like the Talibanis wouldn't have shot the helicopter down if it had been empty.

Empty or full, it was a target and it wandered under their sights. They probably had no idea who was on it.

33 posted on 08/07/2011 9:57:50 AM PDT by Cheburashka (If found, please return this Ring of Power to Sauron, Lord of Darkness. Return postage guaranteed.)

To: Peter from Rutland
A chinook is a major target and a slow one at that.
You got that right. Rode a few in VN.
Sat on my helmet but "pucker factor" was still 100%.
34 posted on 08/07/2011 10:02:54 AM PDT by oh8eleven (RVN '67-'68)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Or, one guy who tells a Taliban operative about it.

35 posted on 08/07/2011 10:02:56 AM PDT by LibertarianLiz

Just a thought....20 of the Seal Team 6 members on that plane were the ones who killed Osoma Bin Ladin.

Here is an excerpt from the story you cited, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/military/7685948.html.

“None of the 22 SEAL personnel killed in the crash were part of the team that killed bin Laden in a May raid in Pakistan, but they belonged to the same unit.”

Note the use of the word “none”.

36 posted on 08/07/2011 10:03:27 AM PDT by Cheburashka (If found, please return this Ring of Power to Sauron, Lord of Darkness. Return postage guaranteed.)

To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Berosus; bigheadfred; Bockscar; ColdOne; Convert from ECUSA; ...

Thanks US Navy Vet. Don’t worry, John Kerry and Howard Dean will be on the air blaming the Tea Party for the leak.

37 posted on 08/07/2011 10:03:27 AM PDT by SunkenCiv (Yes, as a matter of fact, it is that time again -- https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

I told my husband, as soon as I heard this, that if NONE of the Bin Laden team was still alive to tell their story - it was a hit. The Bin Ladin story ends with Obomas description of events only.

The CIC may want exclusive bragging rights on the "hit"...or to silence potential whistleblowers if the "hit" was actually a miss.

38 posted on 08/07/2011 10:04:18 AM PDT by lightman (Adjutorium nostrum (+) in nomine Domini)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: Spunky
Quote: "We don't believe that any of the special operators who were killed were involved in the bin Laden operation," a senior U.S. military official told Fox News.

I'd probably believe that unless I see something else that says otherwise. I'd just like to know for sure.
This is sad, but the military answers to Oboma, *sigh*.
I still sense that something isn't right. It's that sense that says "finish the story." (It's that same sense that says OJ killed his wife, or Anthony killed her little girl, no matter what the jury said. The sense that says you know a missing teen is dead even if there's no evidence yet.)

39 posted on 08/07/2011 10:08:08 AM PDT by concerned about politics ("Get thee behind me, Liberal")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

I’m just guessing, but it might have been one of our ‘friends’ over there...

40 posted on 08/07/2011 10:11:47 AM PDT by GOPJ (The United States is BROKE because dems can't control their spending - STOP CHARGING dems-STOP NOW)

Crash investigators can tell fairly easily if the explosion came from INSIDE or OUTSIDE the chopper..

41 posted on 08/07/2011 10:12:44 AM PDT by ken5050 (uities)

I knew a girl in school whose family were muslim (Mom and 3 kids, the mother was a widow). I remember my friend telling em that her mom had been gambling (I’m from Las Vegas), and lost a lot of money. When retelling the story, my friend told me she asked her mom why she kept on putting more money in if she kept losing, and she replied “The Devil made me do it!” (In all seriousness).

42 posted on 08/07/2011 10:15:06 AM PDT by JDW11235 (I think I got it now!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

I get it. Barack Obama is bad, ergo, he is behind every bad thing that happens.

"I'm a better conservative than you because I think Barack Obama killed the SEALs, sold our nuclear launch codes to Satan, then jumped in his time machine and shot Ronald Reagan. Oh, you don't believe me? I guess you're a DU troll!!1!1!!1"

It's just sad. Normally, we'd make fun of this kind of fact free, emotionally driven thinking.

43 posted on 08/07/2011 10:15:14 AM PDT by Steel Wolf ("Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Gaius Sallustius Crispus)

Navy Vet: "How did the enemy know that their were ALOT of Spec Ops guys on THAT helicopter?"

Thanks for asking the question here.
I expect a lot of people are wondering the same thing and will tune into whichever news media can provide the straight facts (dare I say "fair and balanced"?).

;-)

44 posted on 08/07/2011 10:15:24 AM PDT by BroJoeK (a little historical perspective....)

Maybe they didn’t. Maybe they were just taking advantage of a target of opportunity.

45 posted on 08/07/2011 10:16:17 AM PDT by wtc911 ("How you gonna get down that hill?")

To: ken5050
"Crash investigators can tell fairly easily if the explosion came from INSIDE or OUTSIDE the chopper.."

So what have the investigators said?

46 posted on 08/07/2011 10:16:25 AM PDT by Flag_This (Real presidents don't bow.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: Spunky
To explain what I mean further.....remember Chandra Levy ?
I pictured her dead near a bank with trickling water. I saw leaves (debris) and stones, sort of like the shallow edge of a creek or river. It turned out she was found in the park next to a trickling steam, buried under the leaves.
That's the kind of sense I'm talking about. When you know you know something but can't logically explain how you know it.
It's doesn't seem like "a lucky hit" to me. There's more to the story. I have no idea what the story is, but I think our side knew something about it, or was warned but ignored it. In other words, "our" hands aren't clean in all this.
47 posted on 08/07/2011 10:17:28 AM PDT by concerned about politics ("Get thee behind me, Liberal")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

What I want to know is this...

If they are on a mission and it was critical possibly even stealth needed, why wasn't the "Stealth" BlackHawk Variant utilized even if the size of teams aboard were less?

Are their that few made, or are they on hold after the incident getting Bin Laden?

48 posted on 08/07/2011 10:21:47 AM PDT by taildragger (( Palin / Mulally 2012 ))

Lay off the nut case nonsense. The government and the military did not conspire to murder special operations personnel from three branches of the service, and murder 38 of our and Afghanistan’s most elite, and destroy a special operations Night Stalker helicopter.

49 posted on 08/07/2011 10:26:11 AM PDT by ansel12 ( Bristol Palin's book "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far" became a New York Times, best seller.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

It was shot down as they were leaving the scene, so it could have just been a lucky shot by a straggler. However, I blame our elected government for not fighting the war the way a war should be fought. All out. Bush made the same mistake. We only encourage the enemy by not fighting like men. I also do not doubt the possibility of a traitor, either on the local scene or here at home.

50 posted on 08/07/2011 10:30:59 AM PDT by Republic of Texas (Socialism Always Fails)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-218 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson