Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

My First Time At Five Guys Burgers
Me | Today | Me

Posted on 08/31/2011 5:57:50 PM PDT by mountn man

SO, after much anticipation, I finally had the chance to try Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

And after hearing and reading all the hype, I was definetly...What would be the correct word?...

UNIMPRESSED!!!

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food
KEYWORDS: 5guys; burgers; hamburgers; vanity
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-213 next last
To: mountn man

5 Guys is great. The peanut oil fries are great, and the burger’s are fresh and delicious (save for the absurdly small buns they insist on using). But com’on, if I was barbecuing my own at home with all the works it would turn out better. Perhaps your expectations were too high for a fast food joint (or perhaps your taste buds are warped - Wendy’s?).

151 posted on 08/31/2011 7:29:52 PM PDT by eclecticEel (Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness: 7/4/1776 - 3/21/2010)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

www.kopps.com

:)

152 posted on 08/31/2011 7:31:13 PM PDT by MNlurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 120 | View Replies]

If you have the same experience I did in New Orleans, you’ll love it. I had the regular cheeseburger, not the Kobe beef one.

153 posted on 08/31/2011 7:34:44 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet (I'll raise $2million for Gov. Sarah Palin. What'll you do?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: lefty-lie-spy

I live in Illinois, at least one person has them in Northern Virginia. Seems we have people from Tx, Mn, Fl, Ca chiming in. If thats local...

154 posted on 08/31/2011 7:35:45 PM PDT by mountn man (Happiness is not a destination, its a way of life.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 139 | View Replies]

I have yet to try 5 Guys. There was one in TX near our neighborhood, but every time we went to the area, we ended up going to Sonic or KFC.

We’re in the process of moving; unless I find one in MD, I may not get a chance to try 5 Guys for a long time.

155 posted on 08/31/2011 7:36:03 PM PDT by exDemMom (Now that I've finally accepted that I'm living a bad hair life, I'm more at peace with the world.)

Kopp’s is a local institution! There is one just south of Bayshore Mall on Port Washington Road, and one in Brookfield on the west end of Bluemound Road near The I-94 interchange. They have great burgers and nice fries, but their real thing is frozen custard. If you are up this way and in the mood for a burger and a frozen treat, it’s worth a stop.

156 posted on 08/31/2011 7:36:57 PM PDT by freemama

To: dila813
I go to 5 guys.....two patties, two American cheese slices, extra fresh onions, mayo, tomatoes, mustard, 4 dill slices, lettuce, and toasted bun

A large natural fries which you have to eat immediately after receiving them and you are in good shape.

Won't be in good shape if you go there often unless round is a shape.

157 posted on 08/31/2011 7:37:16 PM PDT by SeaHawkFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

I think it’s good stuff. But I went to one near Houston and the peanuts were soggy...seems they were old and the boys at their Virgina headquarters don’t understand our sub-tropical climate. I told them at the store about it, and they pretty much laughed at me (I guess it saves them money if people don’t actually eat many of the peanuts). Then I went to another local that just opened - in that case, I grabbed a couple of peanuts and left. The peanuts were fine. It seems that the best way to handle them here is to find out when a new one opens and hit that one right away.

As to their other food...good, but overpriced (relatively speaking) - I much prefer In-and-Out and Tommy’s.

158 posted on 08/31/2011 7:37:31 PM PDT by BobL (PLEASE READ: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2657811/posts)

To: SatinDoll

Ummm, something is bugging me. There are lots of DLI grads on this board, and ALL of them refer to DLI as - DLI.

Did you make a typo, or flunk out?

159 posted on 08/31/2011 7:38:33 PM PDT by patton (I am sure that I have done dumber things in my life, but at the moment, I am unable to recall them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 124 | View Replies]

To: riri

What-A-Burger has high prices and the onion rings are the worst - EVER.

160 posted on 08/31/2011 7:41:37 PM PDT by SeaHawkFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

To: patton

DLI?

Dabbled Legged Ibises

161 posted on 08/31/2011 7:44:59 PM PDT by ThomasThomas ( Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we can identify their corporate sponsors.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 159 | View Replies]

To: struggle

“Man I miss the Tommy’s double chili cheeseburger.

And in and out.”

A man of my heart. I did make the drive from here in Houston to Dallas last May for In-and-Out, when they started opening up there...mob scene. The quality wasn’t quite up to their California quality...but I think that had more to do with them (literally) having 50 people working there. Once they settle down (which is probably the case now), they’ll be fine.

Now Tommy’s is simply my first stop, right out of the airport, when I visit Los Angeles (the one at Beverly and Rampart, of course). When I’m with people I get interesting reactions, but I don’t care.

162 posted on 08/31/2011 7:45:25 PM PDT by BobL (PLEASE READ: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2657811/posts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: hecticskeptic

I was at Famous Daves two nights ago. The St. Louis style ribs were overcooked and had to wipe ashes off my fingers after I ate a rib. Would have complained but my wife was ticked off that I asked for some fresh fries after the first ones arrived just warm.

163 posted on 08/31/2011 7:48:57 PM PDT by SeaHawkFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 111 | View Replies]

To: numberonepal

I have many cherished clouded empty memories of Mobile.

BTW, the Airport Bl (@ University) Krystal hasn’t been a Krystal for at least 3 years.

164 posted on 08/31/2011 7:50:35 PM PDT by TruthHound ("He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." --Leonardo da Vinci)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 150 | View Replies]

To: SeaHawkFan

Fuddruckers USED to be fantastic. Sorry to hear they aren’t good anymore. Flakey Jake’s used to be terrific, with a “works bar” that had everything for your toppings, including guacamole. I actually like Red Robin. You can get your burger cooked to order, even rare if you want. In some states that’s illegal. Worst chain burger? Applebees. You aren’t allowed to have it cooked any way but well done. They “claim” you can get it “pink” but it’s NEVER pink. A burger is only good if it’s juicy and soaks the bun. Culvers is OK, but the mom and pop joints in WI will make a butter burger that will knock your socks off. Butter toasted bun, melted cheese and a slab of butter on top. Krystals OK. Whataburger. OK. White Castle: Horrible. But great milkshakes. Steak & Shake: Good burgers and shakes, and I like the super thin fries. In & Out. Excellent on all fronts. Fatburger: great. Never tried 5 Guys but I want to find out what the fuss is about

165 posted on 08/31/2011 7:52:29 PM PDT by boop ("Let's just say they'll be satisfied with LESS"... Ming the Merciless)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 149 | View Replies]

To: ThomasThomas

Now, don’t make me take of mu NDU t-shirt, and climb up a water tower, to defend my alma mater.

166 posted on 08/31/2011 7:52:40 PM PDT by patton (I am sure that I have done dumber things in my life, but at the moment, I am unable to recall them.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 161 | View Replies]

To: VastRWCon
Side note, if anyone remembers Gino,s? Well they are back! We just had one open up in Towson, MD last week and every time I drive by there is a line out the door!

Yep. When I was a kid (I'm 43), Gino's was the only fast food place in our town, but it was great. Loved the strawberry shakes and fries. Burgers (Gino Giant) and KFC in the same place.

I took my son to one of the new Gino's that opened around here.

I could be mistaken, but the burgers are NOT the same as the old Gino's.

The old Gino's burgers were more like BK or McD's if I remember correctly.

The new Gino's burgers are more like Five Guys.

The old Gino's burgers were fairly cheap. The new Gino Giant is $5.69.

The old Gino's fries were more like McD's. The new Gino's fries are more like Wendy's.

That's not to say the new Gino's is bad. My son's burger looked really good and he loved it. (Unfortunately, I am dieting, so I didn't partake...)

167 posted on 08/31/2011 7:54:32 PM PDT by Mannaggia l'America
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies]

By the way, I LOVE McDonalds too, particularly the Double Cheeseburgers, and I love Burger King.

(I figured that no one else is willing to own up, so I will)

But In-and-Out and Tommy’s always win, when I can get to them.

168 posted on 08/31/2011 7:55:19 PM PDT by BobL (PLEASE READ: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2657811/posts)

To: numberonepal

“With a fried egg and pickle relish. Add some skinny fries, chocolate shake and a fat tip.”

Stop it...stop it...you’re killing me. Geez, it IS still early and I only had a small dinner...

169 posted on 08/31/2011 7:55:49 PM PDT by jessduntno (Obama shanks. America tanks.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 145 | View Replies]

To: ClearCase_guy
My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian

not a chance..wierd concepts should not reproduce themselves....Humans are omnivores, we eat both meat and veggies, both are tasty and both are beneficial.If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat!!

170 posted on 08/31/2011 7:55:51 PM PDT by terycarl (lurking, but well informed)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: TruthHound
BTW, the Airport Bl (@ University) Krystal hasn’t been a Krystal for at least 3 years.

Dang, I don't get down that way too much when in Mobile. I usually keep it to "The Parkway" area, mostly on the south side of Dog River bridge.

171 posted on 08/31/2011 7:57:08 PM PDT by numberonepal (Palin/Cain 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 164 | View Replies]

To: terycarl

Georges in Waco.

172 posted on 08/31/2011 7:57:08 PM PDT by EQAndyBuzz (Fish are Meat with no Feet...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 170 | View Replies]

I’ve gotta vote for Carl’s Jr. Bang for the buck, really good tasting burgers.

173 posted on 08/31/2011 7:58:11 PM PDT by Avid Coug

To: Grizzled Bear; mountn man; ClearCase_guy

“If he still doesn’t get it, revoke his “man card.”

I don’t know...he may have to go walk the earth for a while...

174 posted on 08/31/2011 7:58:24 PM PDT by jessduntno (Obama shanks. America tanks.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 140 | View Replies]

We had a place called Bradlee’s in Memphis that tasted just like it and was about the same price. I think Bradlee’s was even better and had more character. It went out of business.

175 posted on 08/31/2011 7:59:33 PM PDT by ebshumidors ( Marksmanship and YOUR heritage http://www.appleseedinfo.org)

To: terycarl

Jules: Big Kahuna burger. That’s the Hawaiian burger joint... (Takes a bite)...mmmm...now THAT’S a tasty burger. What are you drinking? “uh, Sprite.” Mind if I have a drink to wash this down? (drinks the entire cup while staring menacingly)

176 posted on 08/31/2011 8:01:07 PM PDT by boop ("Let's just say they'll be satisfied with LESS"... Ming the Merciless)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 170 | View Replies]

Plazaburger.

177 posted on 08/31/2011 8:04:35 PM PDT by gorush (History repeats itself because human nature is static)

I hate it when that happens....

178 posted on 08/31/2011 8:09:44 PM PDT by mom4melody
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

To: ken5050

Our only Checkers’ are in the ‘hood. They suck, but so does any chain in the ‘hood. Oops, that’s racis’.

179 posted on 08/31/2011 8:10:18 PM PDT by ebshumidors ( Marksmanship and YOUR heritage http://www.appleseedinfo.org)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

UNIMPRESSED!!! . . . I was expecting something extraordinary. What I got was ordinary.

Likewise. And it was a bit overpriced, too.

I'll take Culver's or Steak 'n Shake among the chains.

The best burger here in St. Louis, btw, is not a chain but a local joint, O'Connell's.

180 posted on 08/31/2011 8:24:54 PM PDT by Charles Henrickson (St. Louis)

Totally agree, prefer a $6 burger from Carls Jr.

181 posted on 08/31/2011 8:35:58 PM PDT by Tamatoa (Fight for our America, Fight for our Country I fought to defend!!!)

WAS a great burger and fries. Burgers were jusr barely well done a very juicy. Fries were crisp.

Now the burgers are cooked to a sawdust consistency and the fries are soggy. I think the training and quality of help has deteriorated. I watch the grill guy smash the burger numerous times until it was bled of all juice. Im sure it is supposed to be smashed once but no more.

The fries? We need another thread but let me just say since our nanny state caused the restaurants to quit using lard fries haven’t been worth a s@1t (or worse).

Smash Burger is still good but the fries suck.

182 posted on 08/31/2011 8:36:58 PM PDT by FreedomNotSafety

Never tried a Steak & Shake burger, but I sure liked their dark chocolate shake — with tiny semi-sweet chocolate chips in it ... a chocolate lover’s dream! (And for the record, In’N Out all the way!!!)

183 posted on 08/31/2011 8:43:22 PM PDT by Fast Moving Angel (If he has nothing to hide, why is he spending so much $$$ hiding it?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

One of the most over rated ham joints If EVER...1st time I eat there...I KID YOU NOT, I swear, I got food poisoning. The mushrooms must have been canned or something instead of fresh like they claim...I'll never eat there again! I was sicker than a dog that night...never will forget it...SICKER!
184 posted on 08/31/2011 8:43:27 PM PDT by RoseofTexas

It’s interesting how experiences and opinions vary. I wasn’t exposed to any hype; I just decided to try them. It wasn’t the best burger I ever had, but it was decent and a good value. I’m never hungry afterward! I don’t care for the atmosphere, so I usually take mine to go. It’s funny—I’ve eaten their fare in my truck several times, and I always joke to my wife that I (and the interior) look like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre afterward. The other thing that is hilarious is how they package the order. They carefully place the burger in the bag, set in a neat container of fries... and then shovel in a bunch more loose on top, so you have to eat your way into the burger. What’s not to like?!

185 posted on 08/31/2011 8:44:49 PM PDT by ggraziano

To: SeaHawkFan

I only go there once every 2-3 weeks

186 posted on 08/31/2011 8:49:08 PM PDT by dila813
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 157 | View Replies]

I heard the hype about them also and went to check them out. Left without ordering anything after looking over the prices on the menu. I could dine at nice sit down restaurant for those prices. I wasn't impressed.
187 posted on 08/31/2011 8:51:49 PM PDT by Smittie

I've noticed there's a BIG difference in quality based on WHEN you go. At 11:20 we were order #7 and our burgers were GREAT. The presentation was perfect and they were cooked just right. They were so delicious that they justified the higher price.

When we went again a few days later at 12:30 we were something like order #92 and the burgers were dry, thrown together, average. Definately not worth the premium price.

When done correctly it's a great product, but they may have expanded the chain so rapidly that they don't have properly trained chefs and quality control.

188 posted on 08/31/2011 8:56:17 PM PDT by The Truth Will Make You Free

To: 2ndDivisionVet

I LIVED at Gordon Biersch when working on a job in New Orleans for three months.

I racked up so many points in their club that I got free meals at their sister restaurant, Big River (actually the one that started it all) in Nashville.

And all on an expense account. Sweet.

189 posted on 08/31/2011 8:58:38 PM PDT by Fledermaus (I'm done with political parties. The GOP is useless. Anarchy is perferable to this CRAP!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: taillightchaser

I’ll second that vote.

190 posted on 08/31/2011 8:58:38 PM PDT by Conservative4Ever (Man the pitchforks and torches....let the revolution begin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Harvard Business Review

191 posted on 08/31/2011 9:26:01 PM PDT by MontaniSemperLiberi (Moutaineers are Always Free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 114 | View Replies]

To: Arlis

Best value, good texture and taste... Burger King plain double cheese burger and a coke.... $2.50... splurge another buck and a half for two burgers and you can run the rest of the day on that.

Fine dining.... sarcasm off... but it really is pretty good value and a decent burger.

192 posted on 08/31/2011 9:28:48 PM PDT by Sequoyah101 (Half the people are below average.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Same deal here. I couldn’t wait until when 5 Guys opened in Longmont, CO.

But, boy was I disappointed! Soggy, cold fries and the burger cooked so well done that if you dropped the burger patty it would probably have shattered like a piece of black glass when it hit the floor.

But this wasn’t the worst part. The “music” was so loud you had to scream your order to the order clerk several times before there seemed to be some understanding of what was probably being communicated. I complained to the manager about the noise level but was told that the insane sound level was part of the “ambiance”. I pointed out several older couples about the dining room who were grimly and silently curled into almost fetal balls due to the insane noise level and said, “Do these people look like they’re enjoying themselves?” Total waste of breath, just like water rolling off a duck’s back. I feel sorry for the employees because the high sound levels has got to be severely damaging to their ears.

Needless to say, I never went back. And never will. I also strongly discourage anyone else going if the subject arises.

193 posted on 08/31/2011 10:34:58 PM PDT by catnipman (Cat Nipman: Vote Republican in 2012 and only be called racist one more time!)

To: NonValueAdded

“I hear Big Kahuna Burgers are mighty tasty.:”

That’s that Hawaiian joint, right? I hear it’s pretty good. Me? I never get to eat a burger anyway. My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.”

194 posted on 08/31/2011 10:39:04 PM PDT by catnipman (Cat Nipman: Vote Republican in 2012 and only be called racist one more time!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

I'm about 75 minutes south of Milwaukee.

In that case, I recommend you visit Bob Chinn's in Wheeling, IL.

195 posted on 08/31/2011 11:18:08 PM PDT by cynwoody

196 posted on 09/01/2011 12:06:11 AM PDT by rawhide

To: ken5050
Checkers is pretty good. First chain I ever saw that closed every local location reopen some a year later. Every other chain that did that ( that are still open in other cities ) was gone for good.

My choice for the best is Cheeburger Cheeburger. Florida based chain expanding throughout the East and Midwest. Only one location in my state but I try to go there every time I travel.

http://cheeburger.com/home2/index.asp

197 posted on 09/01/2011 12:25:17 AM PDT by Hillarys Gate Cult (Those who trade land for peace will end up with neither one.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

To: rawhide
Looks like the one that used to be in Grand Haven, Mi.

I can't remember ever eating at one.

198 posted on 09/01/2011 12:32:42 AM PDT by mountn man (Happiness is not a destination, its a way of life.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 196 | View Replies]

To: Mannaggia l'America
Since we're going down memory lane of defunct chains I'll throw in Mr Swiss and Cruisers. Great burgers but didn't last.

Any one else remember Cindy's and Judy's? Almost no info is on the web about them. When Wendy's exploded on the scene in the late 70s two of the men who were directly under Dave Thomas ( co founders? ) split off on their own to form hamburger chains almost exactly like Wendy's and both named them after their daughters. They were OK but no Wendy's. The chains lasted only a few years, dying out in the early 80s.

199 posted on 09/01/2011 12:47:27 AM PDT by Hillarys Gate Cult (Those who trade land for peace will end up with neither one.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 167 | View Replies]

To: SatinDoll

You’re correct. It is known as DLI.

In my defense, I was a French linguist for the Navy: we always called the school, L’Institute de Langue Militaire. This translates as “The Military Language Institute”. Close to Defense Language Institute, but not exact.

Thirty years tends to affect a person’s memory. And I was always told, this isn’t the ‘real’ Navy, you know!

200 posted on 09/01/2011 12:48:01 AM PDT by SatinDoll (NO FOREIGN NATIONALS AS OUR PRESIDENT!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 124 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-213 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson