Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

California - Student Punished for Saying .... ‘Bless You’
cbs47 ^ | 9-28-11 | cakid1

Posted on 09/28/2011 8:23:26 PM PDT by cakid1

Its hard to believe but a student at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California was reportedly was punished for saying 'Bless You.'

The teacher says the student disrupted his classroom

“It’s not…got anything to do with religion,” Wood High health teacher Steve Cuckovich told KTXL News in Sacramento. “It’s got to do with an interruption of class time.”

Cuckovich reportedly took 25 points off the student’s grade - in an effort to deter other students from saying “bless you.”

“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Education; Religion
KEYWORDS: arth; blessyou; democrats; education; govtabuse; liberalfascism; moralabsolutes; stevecuckovich
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-72 next last

1 posted on 09/28/2011 8:23:33 PM PDT by cakid1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: cakid1

I though it was because you caught the plague and were going to die, which is what this teacher should do.

2 posted on 09/28/2011 8:26:06 PM PDT by Born to Conserve
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I can no longer see any reason to send children to these fascist manufacturing plants.

3 posted on 09/28/2011 8:27:43 PM PDT by chris37 (Heartless.)

What this lib-wad teacher needs is for every student in that school to make a point of saying “Bless You” to him for say - 100,000 times or until he admits he’s an idiot and apologizes.

Whichever comes first.

4 posted on 09/28/2011 8:28:27 PM PDT by Responsibility2nd (NO LIBS! This means liberals AND libertarians (same thing) NO LIBS!)

Perhaps the kid that sneezed was Chinese.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMQPfGYTwU

5 posted on 09/28/2011 8:31:36 PM PDT by massmike (Massachusetts:Stopped hanging witches;started electing Kennedys.Coincidence?)

California can tumble into the sea for all I care....but please wait until I move.

6 posted on 09/28/2011 8:33:37 PM PDT by Huskrrrr

Next time Steve sneezes how about a quick FU!

7 posted on 09/28/2011 8:34:46 PM PDT by Huskrrrr

Anyone surprised by this has had their head in the sand for the past 20 years.

8 posted on 09/28/2011 8:36:32 PM PDT by BobL (PLEASE READ: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2657811/posts)

His tweeting

9 posted on 09/28/2011 8:44:01 PM PDT by icwhatudo ("laws requiring compulsory abortion could be sustained under the constitution"-Obama official)

“But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

So what????!!!!???

Screw you! (If I was a better Christian - bless you!)

What has that to do with what he says in school or anywhere? “It doesn’t make sense” - so you can’t say it?

10 posted on 09/28/2011 8:45:35 PM PDT by the OlLine Rebel (Common sense is an uncommon virtue./Technological progress cannot be legislated.)

May God Bless Mr.Steve Cuckovich.

Whether he sneezed or not.

5.56mm

11 posted on 09/28/2011 8:47:04 PM PDT by M Kehoe

To: icwhatudo
Surprise surprise...his Facebook page shows he is an Obama fan.
12 posted on 09/28/2011 8:48:22 PM PDT by icwhatudo ("laws requiring compulsory abortion could be sustained under the constitution"-Obama official)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Cuckovich needs to face a very, very angry father face to face...and receive some wall-to-wall counseling.

13 posted on 09/28/2011 8:50:11 PM PDT by RightOnline

Since Sacramento was named after the Blessed Sacrament, l’m surprised to see him wearing that shirt.

14 posted on 09/28/2011 8:56:46 PM PDT by Lauren BaRecall (Boehner, you deal making THUG B@st@rd!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Lauren BaRecall

they probably think it means some kind of berry or something...

15 posted on 09/28/2011 8:59:07 PM PDT by RitchieAprile
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

He should’ve said “You’re SOOOOOOO good-looking!”

16 posted on 09/28/2011 9:00:27 PM PDT by toothfairy86

I hope that somebody follows up this report.

I guess teacher Cuckhold doesn’t appreciate a child wishing him well.

The next time, an ancient Egyptian curse might do in its place.

17 posted on 09/28/2011 9:02:58 PM PDT by MadMax, the Grinning Reaper

I hope Drudge gets ahold of this, this idiot needs to be humiliated.

18 posted on 09/28/2011 9:05:11 PM PDT by Husker24

You know, I have no idea whether to laugh at this or cry out in despair :(

19 posted on 09/28/2011 9:06:17 PM PDT by coldphoenix

To: Born to Conserve

How the BBC fell for a Marxist plot to destroy civilisation from within

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2041518/JAMES-DELINGPOLE-How-BBC-fell-Marxist-plot-destroy-civilisation-within.html#ixzz1ZJLn1ger

20 posted on 09/28/2011 9:10:57 PM PDT by Lorianne
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I’m shocked!

21 posted on 09/28/2011 9:18:15 PM PDT by stormhill
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

If it was a disciplinary issue (disrupting the class) you don’t lower a grade for that. Grades are supposed to be a measure of knowledge or how well the student meets the objectives. Geez, doesn’t this teacher have a clue? If I was the parent I would ask to see the teacher’s written objectives for the day and disciplinary plan. If the teacher didn’t say that grades would be lowered for classroom interruptions then he needs to explain himself.

And then he needs to take tolerance classes, to learn to be tolerant of cultures that differ from his own.

22 posted on 09/28/2011 9:26:17 PM PDT by butterdezillion

bttt

23 posted on 09/28/2011 9:30:34 PM PDT by TEXOKIE (Anarchy IS the strategy of the forces of darkness!)

I bet if the kid said, “Allah be praised,” the loser “teacher” would have INCREASED his grade by 25 points.

If I was this kid’s father I would be in jail, cause I would go medieval on this moonbat “teacher’s” a$$.

24 posted on 09/28/2011 9:39:29 PM PDT by july4thfreedomfoundation (Obama inherited a mild recession from George W. Bush and turned it into a major depression.)

the evil hate the good.

25 posted on 09/28/2011 9:39:54 PM PDT by ken21 (ruling class dem + rino progressives -- destroying america for 150 years.)

“And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.” - God the LORD who is in control of all things past, present, and future.

When those who believe in Him bless you, it makes sense. Words mean things, especially when spoken by agents of the Almighty (a.k.a. believers - the proverbial salt of the Earth).

26 posted on 09/28/2011 9:46:19 PM PDT by Fester Chugabrew (minds change)

free speech?

27 posted on 09/28/2011 9:53:20 PM PDT by Netizen (Path to citizenship = Scamnesty. If you give it away, more will come. Who's pilfering your wallet?)

“they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

“But I am Muslim and you are mocking my sensitivities”

“A thousand apologies your excellency, please continue to bless the other students”

28 posted on 09/28/2011 9:55:19 PM PDT by omega4179 (Cain makes a perfectly acceptable replacement front runner.)

To: metmom

pinging you to another ridiculous school story.

29 posted on 09/28/2011 10:03:01 PM PDT by christianhomeschoolmommaof3
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: butterdezillion

Your post is spot on. It he considered it disruptive, send him to the office or something, but grades shouldn’t be lowered over something like this.

30 posted on 09/28/2011 10:04:01 PM PDT by Netizen (Path to citizenship = Scamnesty. If you give it away, more will come. Who's pilfering your wallet?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

I would like to dedicate this song to Steve Cuckovich.
31 posted on 09/28/2011 10:05:12 PM PDT by Fiji Hill

Sprinkle holy water all over that classroom.

32 posted on 09/28/2011 10:32:42 PM PDT by bunkerhill7

The teachers and ad. staff at my children's schools knew me by name because I was always there fighting against brain dead decisions. And when one of our sons was threatened with suspension because he was reading a Bible during lunch period another student reported it to the administrators and nothing happened...that day...they called and apologized for the misunderstanding the next. My wife thinks it was because they just didn’t want to deal with me, but, I like to think that I had conditioned them to think.
33 posted on 09/28/2011 11:27:31 PM PDT by crazyhorse691 (Obama is just the symptom of what is destroying the U.S.)

If he’d only said it in Spanish, nothing would have happened.

34 posted on 09/28/2011 11:43:56 PM PDT by rfp1234 (Anybody but Baracchio in 2012)

Well perhaps this asinine leftist “teacher” should write on the blackboard what the acceptable comments are so the kids will know next time. I mean, if he’s going to restrict their speech, he needs to give them a list all of the words and phrases they ARE allowed to say.

We’ve allowed this problem to get too bad and to go too far. These people are now emboldened and empowered with the election of a Marxist president.

We need to nip this BS in the bud.....

sooner rather than later.

35 posted on 09/28/2011 11:55:47 PM PDT by XenaLee (The only good commie is a dead commie.)

I wonder if those are students in his facebook photo? If so, he is probably breaking some rule about publishing photos of students. . .He sounds like a left wing lunatic.

36 posted on 09/29/2011 12:04:20 AM PDT by beethoven
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: beethoven

The article says he’s a teacher, but according to the school staff list on their website, he’s in charge of “student activities”, whatever that means. It doesn’t look like he is a teacher after all.

http://wcw.schoolloop.com/staff

37 posted on 09/29/2011 12:13:45 AM PDT by XenaLee (The only good commie is a dead commie.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

“It’s not…got anything to do with religion,” Wood High health teacher Steve Cuckovich told KTXL News in Sacramento. “It’s got to do with an interruption of class time.”

IS THIS GUY AN ENGLISH TEACHER? It's got to do? Shouldn't that be “it has to do”? It's = It is. WTF? - (Credit to Barack Millhouse Obama)

Cuckovich reportedly took 25 points off the student’s grade - in an effort to deter other students from saying “bless you.”

“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

Cliff Klaven lives. This guy must be great at Cocktail Parties. He would have been thrilled if the kid said “Obama Bless You” I'm sure.

38 posted on 09/29/2011 12:16:34 AM PDT by Kickass Conservative (Liberals, Useful Idiots Voting for Useless Idiots...)

“Power corrupts
Absolute power . . .”

39 posted on 09/29/2011 1:24:17 AM PDT by fella ("As it was before Noah, so shall it be again.")

Imagine what he would have done if the boy had said “God bless you”! Waterboarding, the rack and the iron maiden would have been used.

40 posted on 09/29/2011 1:32:36 AM PDT by NTHockey (Rules of engagement #1: Take no prisoners)

Was it more disruptive than a sneeze? No. Move on.

Obviously the teacher has a person issue. No rational person in this culture would make a fuss.

41 posted on 09/29/2011 2:30:14 AM PDT by newzjunkey (Obama wins reelecton; GOP will find a way to lose.)

To: newzjunkey

...personal issue...

42 posted on 09/29/2011 2:32:20 AM PDT by newzjunkey (Obama wins reelecton; GOP will find a way to lose.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: RightOnline

“Cuckovich needs to face a very, very angry father face to face...and receive some wall-to-wall counseling.”

Vaccaville is one of the prime residential towns for those stationed at Travis AFB. (Fairfield is the other). There will be plenty of military student parents willing to take this guy to task. We lived in Davis, CA, while stationed at Travis, which was even worse. Luckily, we didn’t have kids in school at the time.

43 posted on 09/29/2011 5:12:32 AM PDT by ConservativeWarrior (In last year's nests, there are no birds this year.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Kickass Conservative
It's got to do? Shouldn't that be “it has to do”? It's = It is. WTF?

"It's" is also a contraction of "it has."

44 posted on 09/29/2011 6:25:26 AM PDT by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: christianhomeschoolmommaof3; 2Jedismom; 6amgelsmama; AAABEST; aberaussie; Aggie Mama; agrace; ...

ANOTHER REASON TO HOMESCHOOL

This ping list is for the “other” articles of interest to homeschoolers about education and public school. This can occasionally be a fairly high volume list. Articles pinged to the Another Reason to Homeschool List will be given the keyword of ARTH. (If I remember. If I forget, please feel free to add it yourself)

The main Homeschool Ping List handles the homeschool-specific articles. I hold both the Homeschool Ping List and the Another Reason to Homeschool Ping list. Please freepmail me to let me know if you would like to be added to or removed from either list, or both.

45 posted on 09/29/2011 6:49:40 AM PDT by metmom (For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore & do not submit again to a yoke of slavery)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

If he would have gotten disciplined etc for saying “f-— you”, the ACLU would be in his corner in a heartbeat.

Locally, (Stafford County VA), the principal that suspended the ‘banana man’ has resigned. At least ‘they’ said she resigned, there was no ‘hint’ of it till she faced the School Board.

This is definitely Liberalism ‘run amuk’, unless they are hiding a lot of facts (such as he had been ‘pre warned’, or he had caused ‘trouble’ before - none of which has been publicized) she definitely over-reacted when threatening the lad with Expulsion after the incident (wore a banana costume and ran across the football field).

Even the kids mother stood up and said “He may deserve some punishment, but surely not expulsion”.

Then, as an extra added attraction, the Principal started confiscating T Shirts etc that were in support of “banana man’, which, naturally brought the ACLU into the fray, then giving it National Headlines.

46 posted on 09/29/2011 6:52:11 AM PDT by xrmusn ((6/98) If govt involved, the more outlandish a scheme appears, the truer it probably is.)

Not that it matters because chastising a student for saying, 'Bless you', is just repugnant in a 'free speech' society however, the reason for the blessing is during the sneeze the heart stops beating. More revisionist history.

47 posted on 09/29/2011 7:05:22 AM PDT by liberalh8ter

With California, Texas and Arizona going down the tubes with their illegal alien population growing daily.....those coming in no longer see themselves as illegals...they are simply claiming they have returned “home” and or in the muslim case claiming our land for islamification.....and our politicians are enabling all this to occur.

We not only need to take out the trash in Washington..but within our schools and get rid of these traitor teachers as well

48 posted on 09/29/2011 7:06:01 AM PDT by caww
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Steve Cuckovich
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bet he is a homosexual. ( Just wondering) Are there any underground conservative reporters out there who might know?

And...I wonder if the kid was Mormon.

49 posted on 09/29/2011 7:55:03 AM PDT by wintertime (I am a Constitutional Restorationist!!! Yes!)

This Article is a disgrace...makes me sick!

50 posted on 09/29/2011 8:15:34 AM PDT by Dr. Scarpetta
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-72 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson