Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Giving one's self a haircut (vanity)
Today. | Myself

Posted on 10/03/2011 7:57:09 PM PDT by Celtic Cross

click here to read article

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-67 next last
I've gone to bed and I'll check if there is any responses in the morning. Thanks again.
1 posted on 10/03/2011 7:57:16 PM PDT by Celtic Cross
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Celtic Cross
THE FLOWBEE

2 posted on 10/03/2011 8:00:56 PM PDT by struggle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

FLOWBEE bump! (not really, and I don't use the thing...I just never had an excuse to post about flowbee.)

3 posted on 10/03/2011 8:02:16 PM PDT by Drango (A liberal's compassion is limited only by the size of someone else's wallet.)

I haven’t paid a barber in 15 years. As long as you don’t mind looking like Sigourney Weaver Aliens 3, its easy.

4 posted on 10/03/2011 8:02:57 PM PDT by PGR88 (I'm so open-minded my brains fell out)

IBBJ (In Before Bad Jokes)

5 posted on 10/03/2011 8:03:33 PM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)

To: PGR88

Are you saying the process involves panties?

6 posted on 10/03/2011 8:04:05 PM PDT by Gene Eric (Your Hope has been Redistributed. Here's your damn Change!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Three options:

1. Girlfriend or wife who isn't afraid to use a clipper outfit.

2. Start with the biggest guide attachment. Do the upper parts of your hair with this and BE CAREFUL NOT TO PRESS TOO HARD, OR YOU WILL KNOCK THE GUIDE OFF AND GIVE YOURSELF A GIANT "OOPS." Gradually change to smaller guides as you go around your head until you achieve the desired length.

3. Barter with a friend who will trim your hair in exchange for a barter item.

7 posted on 10/03/2011 8:04:17 PM PDT by redhead (Don't START with me...you know how I get.)

The easy thing is a buzz cut with an electric clippers. The quarter inch one.

I taught myself to cut my hair with a scissors (barber’s type recommended) by feeling the length of the hair. No rear mirror necessary.

Takes a bit of practice, start small.

No guts no glory.

8 posted on 10/03/2011 8:04:50 PM PDT by Avery Iota Kracker (He hate me)

To: PGR88

I haven’t paid a barber in 24+ years . My wife cuts my hair , and does a pretty fine job at it .

9 posted on 10/03/2011 8:04:50 PM PDT by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Drango

Flowbee works great on sweaty back hair.

10 posted on 10/03/2011 8:05:57 PM PDT by MaxMax
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

A couple or three weeks ago I did my crew cut haircut m’self (ain’t gonna pay twenny bucks to have my noodle shaved!)

I still missed a few clumps and required a re-do by my daughter.

11 posted on 10/03/2011 8:06:19 PM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)

To: struggle
Heh, the Flowbee has a disclaimer that it doesn't work on "tightly curled" i.e. African-American hair. But that would actually apply to me!

My roommate in college used to "save money" by cutting his own hair. Most of the time he ended up looking like the Dutch-boy on the paint can.

12 posted on 10/03/2011 8:06:19 PM PDT by boop ("Let's just say they'll be satisfied with LESS"... Ming the Merciless)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: RandallFlagg
ping...Can ya help a brother out here?

...yuk yuk yuk
13 posted on 10/03/2011 8:07:51 PM PDT by Tainan (Cogito, Ergo Conservitus.)

Forgot to mention the great advantage of learning to cut your own hair with a scissors: you just trim every few days, you never really need what is thought of as a “haircut.”

14 posted on 10/03/2011 8:08:21 PM PDT by Avery Iota Kracker (He hate me)

ROBOCUT

It works VERY well. You can cut almost any style with it, too.

15 posted on 10/03/2011 8:08:59 PM PDT by Do Not Make Fun Of His Ears (Hey, Perry: Illegal is Not a Race, It is a Crime.)

"Thou shalt NOT cut thine hair. Thou shalt remain in '80's mode....."

16 posted on 10/03/2011 8:12:20 PM PDT by RandallFlagg (Look for the union label, then buy elsewhere.)

Started using a razor comb. Between that and a trim scissors, I haven’t been to the barber in three years. Not real hard to do and when I cut it, I leave enough so that it still lies in place. Side benefit is that I trim it a little each week so I never look scalped.

17 posted on 10/03/2011 8:13:08 PM PDT by farmguy

I've never had any problems cutting my own hair.

18 posted on 10/03/2011 8:13:51 PM PDT by Flag_This (Real presidents don't bow.)

To: Celtic Cross; All
Wow, just though I'd check in before going to sleep and replies already. Thank you kindly for the advice y'all.*

*See, I'm cultivating a southern accent as well.

19 posted on 10/03/2011 8:13:58 PM PDT by Celtic Cross (The brain is the weapon; everything else is just accessories. --FReeper Joe Brower)

1/4" comb on horse or dog clippers. Stroke across your head mindlessly until hair quits falling off. Shower. Shave. Always shower after. Then you have 2 of the three S's taken care of.

Appear in formation, clean, dry, and sober, with a nice, tight haircut.

Leave for the NCO club at 1700.

Rinse and repeat as required.

/johnny

20 posted on 10/03/2011 8:14:16 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (gone Galt)

Shave my head and love it. Clean, neat, etc. Will never go back.

21 posted on 10/03/2011 8:14:38 PM PDT by GlockThe Vote (The Obama Adminstration: The flash mob who wonÂ’t leave.)

I do the “boot camp” special about every 3 weeks....eat ice cream with the money saved...:))

22 posted on 10/03/2011 8:15:00 PM PDT by jennings2004 (Sarah Palin: "The bright light at the end of a very dark tunnel!")

To: MaxMax

I prefer to let the back-hair form into dreads... Much more modern that way...;)

23 posted on 10/03/2011 8:17:24 PM PDT by FromTheSidelines ("everything that deceives, also enchants" - Plato)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

But really, why would you want to cut it? It looks great on you!

24 posted on 10/03/2011 8:17:27 PM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)

To: redhead
#1 is a no go, no significant other. #3 has been tried, no buds will do it (Well, they'll *do* it, but...)

Is it possible, that you know of, to accidentally cut the hair shorter than the length of the attachment? Like stick on a 3/4" attachment, push at the wrong angle and get a 1/8" patch?

25 posted on 10/03/2011 8:17:47 PM PDT by Celtic Cross (The brain is the weapon; everything else is just accessories. --FReeper Joe Brower)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Put one of these on your head...

And then cut (with scissors or buzz cutters) around the edge of the bowl...

And then you look like this guy!!!!

I hear this particular kind of haircut is popular in Liechtenstein, Transylvania, and in the more remote regions of Outer Mongolia. I think there may be a order of monks on the Isle of Zanzibar that find it quite humbling.
26 posted on 10/03/2011 8:19:26 PM PDT by Jack Hydrazine (It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!)

To: RandallFlagg

NO mullets!! :p

27 posted on 10/03/2011 8:20:13 PM PDT by Politicalmom (Amnesty (ie: Perry/Rubio) will be the final death blow to the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

The doctor who doctors himself has a fool for a patient. If you also spin and weave your own cloth and drive a buggy....

28 posted on 10/03/2011 8:20:21 PM PDT by WePledge (Ich werde fur immer ein Hollenhund werden. Semper Fidelis)

To: WePledge
Clothes? Clothes? Who wears CLOTHES?

:)

29 posted on 10/03/2011 8:21:23 PM PDT by Celtic Cross (The brain is the weapon; everything else is just accessories. --FReeper Joe Brower)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Front to back, then back to front has always worked for me:

30 posted on 10/03/2011 8:21:43 PM PDT by freedumb2003 (Herman Cain 2012 -- the man we need at the time we need him)

OH, please post “AFTER” pics.

31 posted on 10/03/2011 8:21:49 PM PDT by WePledge (Ich werde fur immer ein Hollenhund werden. Semper Fidelis)

I’ve been doing my own crew cut for about 5 years now. I have a double cow lick that grows very fast and in 2 week I look like the Klingon Worf.

I use a #2 attachment and go around the ears. Next I do my neck (upwards as against the grain will be shorter). Then left to right (all the way). Then right to left. Front to back. And finally back to front. I do the outside on my back deck without a mirror. Final step needs a mirror and that requires taking off the attachment and trimming around the ears.

I finish up with a shower and a splash of homemade bay rum.

32 posted on 10/03/2011 8:22:13 PM PDT by sleddogs

Get a trimmer with the various length combs and go buzz cut. A 1/4 inch works very well. 1/2 inch is too long. I don’t cut my own hair but that’s how I waste money at the barber keeping the economy going. They are good to bs with too. My wife could easily cut it but I don’t bother. I learned years ago in basic that a crew cut is a big time saver and a potential DIYer.

33 posted on 10/03/2011 8:23:58 PM PDT by apoliticalone (Honest govt. that operates in the interest of US sovereignty and the people, not global $$$)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Is this the look you're looking for?

34 posted on 10/03/2011 8:27:46 PM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)

Yes, I have been cutting my own hair with electric clippers for about a year now.

First I use #2 guide all over...front to back, then back to front, then side to side. Use two mirrors to see it all; you will probably find that you need several passes in each direction to get it all even, at least at first. Next I switch to #1 guide to get just the sides of my head, going "against the grain". Blending the edges comes with practice.

For the back of the neck I take a piece of masking tape, and put it so that the bottom edge is where I want the bottom of my hairline to be. While facing the mirror, I hold both ends so that they are level, then I tape the ends to my ears. Trim the back of the neck using just the clippers (no guide.)

Finally I use the masking tape all over my head like a tackcloth to help remove any remaining loose hair fragments that didn't get brushed off, then wash. Pretty easy once you get used to it. Hope this helps.

35 posted on 10/03/2011 8:28:20 PM PDT by Ackackadack

In the late seventies, after going to a stylist (used to be my barber shop, but they added pastel colors) and getting a bad haircut despite having told him how I wanted it, I decided that I could give myself a bad haircut for free.

For thirty years I cut my hair immediately after washing. I combed it all forward and cut the hair off my face. I then pulled the hair up in bunches and cut it to match that length. The only tough part was the back which I had to do strictly by feel. At the neckline, I took a piece of tape about two feet long and held it level behind my head, brought it forward and fastened to my face. With the scissors, I cut the hair that stuck out under the tape then shave my neck with the tape still in place. It would be easier if I liked a "high and tight" but I discovered in the Marine Corps I have a funny shaped skull.

A few years ago, I bought a an electric hair cutter with several comb-like attachment. I start on top with the longest toothed one and reduce the attachment size as I work downward. I still use the tape on the back.

Do my haircuts look good? No worse that the barbers used to do.
36 posted on 10/03/2011 8:28:28 PM PDT by Free_SJersey (Celebrate Diversity------------ Divide and Conquer?)

I gave myself haircuts for about 10 or 12 years. I quit when I moved to a warmer climate and started wearing much shorter hair. I actually had people wanting to know the name of my barber so they could use him. So I got pretty good at it. I used hair scissors (no clippers) and the trick is to start with a good haircut and then keep it trimmed by taking off only a small amount every week.

When you get your starting haircut, run your fingers through it and get to learn how long it is in different places. The next week run your fingers through your hair and pull up a bit of it between your middle and index fingers and clip off a quarter inch or so. Use your fingers to keep the cut even. I moved front to back and then did the sides and finished up at the back, which is where you want to take your time. Trim up the neckline with the scissors and a razor. If you want a taper in the back, you will probably need to use clippers and just run the clippers through it with a guard always going down. If you block the neckline, you don’t need clippers. About once a month, run thinning shears through your hair.

When you think you are done, run a comb through it and lift up or use your fingers and lift and you will find some places where you missed. You will need a hands free adjustable mirror so you can see what your doing from the back. Don’t rush. It gets easy about the third time you do it. If you wear a mullet, you don’t have to worry about the back. LOL.

37 posted on 10/03/2011 8:32:29 PM PDT by Kirkwood (Zombie Hunter Hobbit)

To: Ackackadack

My procedure is very similar, except I start with a #4 on top and taper down to a #2 on the sides/bottom back.

It’s very easy once you learn the lay of your head and where to switch or just adjust the length of the guide you’re on.

I figured out the masking tape trick on my own too (except use the blue tape, ouch!). It was only a couple of years ago I fought out other people underwent the same epiphany.

38 posted on 10/03/2011 8:33:37 PM PDT by gura (If Allah is so great, why does he need fat sexually confused fanboys to do his dirty work? -iowahawk)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: freedumb2003

Now, I always cut my own hair with electric clippers and the best part is that you can get a haircut once a week (or more) for free. I can remember my first time and I’ll tell you the same thing my buddy told me: “It’s easier than you think. Just try it. Worst case, you go to a barber and get it fixed.” (Or don’t get it fixed! It’ll grow out! Go camping for a few days!) Well, it worked that first time and I never had to “get it fixed.” It would help to have someone who knows what he’s doing nearby the first time. As of yet, I have never cut any shoter than the attachments allowed, they work great. Go for it!

39 posted on 10/03/2011 8:36:22 PM PDT by Dr. Pritchett
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: sleddogs

OK, how do you make homemade bay rum?

40 posted on 10/03/2011 8:37:06 PM PDT by Kirkwood (Zombie Hunter Hobbit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: Free_SJersey

You just never know what will be discussed here...

Now I’m thinking about trying to cut my own hair.

41 posted on 10/03/2011 8:40:24 PM PDT by PilotDave (No, really, you just can't make this stuff up!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNr1eZopzZ4

42 posted on 10/03/2011 8:43:59 PM PDT by oldbill

My son (17.5) got annoyed that he didn’t have the time and money to have a haircut so he borrowed my horse’s clippers and did it himself. He actually did a really nice job. Now that he’s gotten the hang of it it looks quite good. He used the big attachments first and worked his way down to the smaller ones.

43 posted on 10/03/2011 8:44:09 PM PDT by ottbmare (off-the-track Thoroughbred mare)

Tips on cutting your own hair for males.

It is not difficult to trim your own hair. I started doing it to save time driving to barber shop, waiting in line, and afraid of catching dandruff and other infections from barber’s tools which are not sanitized between uses. Been doing it for 40+ years. My wife can not do it any better than doing it myself so I am self reliant here hehe.

1. Get a good electric hair clipping kit, do not skimp. You will save a lot of money on barber shops and a good kit will last 10 years easy with regular oiling which comes with a good kit. So why skimp on the kit.

2. Wash your hair with shampoo and dry thoroughly, giving another additional hour to air dry. This will result in a better looking haircut. Oily & sticky hair will result in uneven depth of hair. Comb your hair normally.

3. Start with the biggest attachment. Do not push down hard on the clipper since the attachment can come lose and make a bald swath on your head. Move the clipper in the direction you normally comb. After every few strokes, run comb in your hair in the same direction. My hair looks much better when I avoid going in the opposite direction of my normal combing direction. The biggest attachment should be used on entire head. In the side burn and above neck area only, also make horizontal trimming moves.

4. Switch to next smaller attachment. This time focus only side burns and above neck areas. First move in down direction, then run comb in you normal combing pattern. Finish by making a few horizontal moves.

5. Switch to smallest attachment. Limit cutting just to below top of ears in side burns area and same length area above neck. Make similar moves as step 4.

6. Remove all attachments. Trim length of side burns holding the clipper perpendicular to your scalp. Then place your 4 left hand fingers together horizontally on top of your neck. Thumb will be folded inside and below your fingers. Then holding the trimmer perpendicular to your skin, carefully trim any hair growing below your fingers.

7. The hair trimming takes barely 15 minutes for me, and I have better results if I do not go too long between trims. No more than 10 days for me. Depending on how fast your hair grows, adjust your intervals.

8. Welcome to the select group of less than 1% of male population who can trim their own hair.

Note if your hair is very fine and limp, you may need an alternate plan. I have basically straight and fairly coarse hair.

44 posted on 10/03/2011 8:45:18 PM PDT by federal__reserve

Seriously, I can let you borrow my fabulous stylist!

45 posted on 10/03/2011 8:48:52 PM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)

To: struggle

My husband actually does a passable job with a Flowbee, you just have to do some cleaning up with a shaver. I cut his hair for years but I just couldn’t get it short enough for him.

46 posted on 10/03/2011 8:55:54 PM PDT by tiki
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Before $5 military haircuts became a luxury that we could afford, I trimmed Hubbies hair with hair clippers.

It’s pretty tough getting the back straight. Maybe you need a women?

47 posted on 10/03/2011 8:56:35 PM PDT by submarinerswife (Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, while expecting different results~Einstein)

This is how a do a not too-short crew-cut.

Wash and dry your hair so it stands erect nicely. Start with a #3 (3/8") clipper shield and go over your entire head multiple times until you are cutting no hair. Drop down to a #2 and to the same thing on the sides and back. Then drop down to a #1 and do some edging the same way.

My dad was a barber, and to him the neck is the most critical area. You can almost always tell when somebody cuts their own hair because the back of the neck looks like hell. Edge the bottom half-inch of the back of the neck using a mustache trimmer (just a miniature clipper) with the lowest shield. Finish off by shaving the back of your neck below the hairline. Use a hand mirror with your bathroom mirror to make sure the neckline is clean.

And don't try to fix any spots you messed up. You'll only make them worse. In two days the hair will grow enough that it doesn't matter anyway.

48 posted on 10/03/2011 9:00:12 PM PDT by E. Pluribus Unum ("Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." --Ronald Reagan)

To: Kirkwood

Homemade Bay Rum recipes

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/alfons-homemade-bay-rum-recipe.16334/

Or you can buy a 1 oz bottle of the essence on Ebay and mix it with rubbing alcohol, wintergreen, & water. Makes a 2 quarts.

49 posted on 10/03/2011 9:02:02 PM PDT by sleddogs
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

So easy, even a cav... eh, never mind.
It’s really easy. been doing it for years. I use a Whal trimmer, with #1 guide for head, and #2 for beard.
As mentioned before, go at it from several directions (front to back & side to side)and then feel for any spikes or long hairs.
Now, the tape trick for the neck, sounds really cool! Never thought about it, just did it by feel.

50 posted on 10/03/2011 9:02:02 PM PDT by IYellAtMyTV (Je t'aime, faire du bruit comme le cochon.)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-67 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson