Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

OK I have a question for all of you Penn State/Joe Paterno Fans...
10 Nov 2011 | US Navy Vet

Posted on 11/10/2011 7:54:15 AM PST by US Navy Vet

What exactally DID Joe Paterno do in WW II. Or did he get labeled as 4F like Frank Sanatra did?

TOPICS: Chit/Chat
KEYWORDS: joeparerno; pennstate; seriouslyquesmark
Just wondering.
1 posted on 11/10/2011 7:54:20 AM PST by US Navy Vet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: US Navy Vet

He served in Army in 1944.

2 posted on 11/10/2011 7:56:49 AM PST by Comstock1 (You can't have Falstaff and have him thin.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Born 1926, graduated in 1944 and served one year in the Army.

3 posted on 11/10/2011 7:58:41 AM PST by deport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno
After serving a year in the Army, WOW a WHOLE YEAR! What ever happened to duration + 6 months, wonder who Joe “knew”.

4 posted on 11/10/2011 7:59:13 AM PST by US Navy Vet (Go Packers! Go Rockies! Go Boston Bruins! See, I'm "Diverse"!)

uh he joined in 44, war ended in 45 and they discharged almost everyone

5 posted on 11/10/2011 8:02:05 AM PST by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Joe Paterno is the name associated with a much larger problem. Generically, when an institution becomes so beloved by its fans; bad bahavior is overlooked by the fans. This happens in sports, actors, musicians and politicians.

The problem is not Paterno/PSU/College Football, its the fans. The fans that should be demanding a shutdown, investigation, and self enforcement of the institution before the government forces it on them. The non sports world is much larger than this group is.

6 posted on 11/10/2011 8:03:43 AM PST by cicero2k

None of this would have happened if they only let football coaches marry.

7 posted on 11/10/2011 8:03:47 AM PST by Natural Law (If you love the Catholic Church raise your hands, in not raise your standards.)

To: driftdiver

LOL. Ever think you would have to explain something like that? HAHAHA.

8 posted on 11/10/2011 8:04:48 AM PST by Stentor ("All cults of personality start out as high drama and end up as low comedy.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Natural Law

Great line,..which 99% here won’t get....

9 posted on 11/10/2011 8:09:51 AM PST by ken5050 (Cain/Gingrich 2012!!! because sharing a couch with Pelosi is NOT the same as sharing a bed with her)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

WRONG they had a point system for discharges. Normally(like in my Dad’s case) it was DURATION + 6 months.

10 posted on 11/10/2011 8:10:24 AM PST by US Navy Vet (Go Packers! Go Rockies! Go Boston Bruins! See, I'm "Diverse"!)

NEWS FLASH!

Penn State Board of Trustees renames

BEAVER STADIUM to ``SODOMY STADIUM``.

11 posted on 11/10/2011 8:10:47 AM PST by bunkerhill7

“WRONG they had a point system for discharges. Normally(like in my Dad’s case) it was DURATION + 6 months.”

Point system was for during the war. Once the war ended they couldn’t release people fast enough.

Whats the point, criticize Paterno for what he didn’t do, or what he should have done, or what he should have known.

Raising an issue about his wartime service when you have no facts is simply a waste of time and makes you look emotional.

12 posted on 11/10/2011 8:12:57 AM PST by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: ken5050
Great line,..which 99% here won’t get....

Oh, I think most here get it!

13 posted on 11/10/2011 8:12:57 AM PST by NewinTexsas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Now THAT is hilarious!

14 posted on 11/10/2011 8:13:27 AM PST by Netizen (Path to citizenship = Scamnesty. If you give it away, more will come. Who's pilfering your wallet?)

My dad graduated in 1946 then served two years.

15 posted on 11/10/2011 8:13:53 AM PST by Huskrrrr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno After serving a year in the Army, WOW a WHOLE YEAR! What ever happened to duration + 6 months, wonder who Joe “knew”.

Apologize please

16 posted on 11/10/2011 8:13:57 AM PST by Post5203 (Our political class have sullied a good man's name...Washington)

My Grandfather used to joke about how the end of WWII was handled. His normal joke was “I worked for this company (the Army) for 4 years, faced many hazards, accomplished the goal assigned, and then they fired me”.

Given when JoePa turned 18 duration + 6 months could very well have added up to a year or less.

17 posted on 11/10/2011 8:14:22 AM PST by discostu (How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today)

Good one.

18 posted on 11/10/2011 8:14:44 AM PST by WayneS (Comments now include 25 percent more sarcasm for no additional charge...)

What ever happened to duration + 6 months, wonder who Joe “knew”.

This pile on Paterno stuff is getting pretty weird.

If he joined in 1944 he very well may have served the duration plus 6 months. It's a pretty safe assumption he served the duration.

19 posted on 11/10/2011 8:14:56 AM PST by Tribune7 (If you demand perfection you will wind up with leftist Democrats)

That’s what you’re wondering about?

20 posted on 11/10/2011 8:15:17 AM PST by PBRSTREETGANG

To: Tribune7

I believe Paterno is 84 in 2011 which would mean he was born in 1926 or 1927. He would have been 17 or 18 in 1944 (I think you only became “draftable” then at the age of 18); I don’t believe you could sign up any younger altho’ my uncle did in the WW2 Navy when my grandfather sigend for him at 16, I believe.

21 posted on 11/10/2011 8:19:17 AM PST by laconic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Post5203

SWIVE YOU!

22 posted on 11/10/2011 8:19:17 AM PST by US Navy Vet (Go Packers! Go Rockies! Go Boston Bruins! See, I'm "Diverse"!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

What does this have to do with the price of underage boys in Cahina?

23 posted on 11/10/2011 8:26:00 AM PST by SaxxonWoods (.....The days are long but the years are short.....)

What does this have to do with the price of underage boys in China?

24 posted on 11/10/2011 8:26:12 AM PST by SaxxonWoods (.....The days are long but the years are short.....)

Here ya go, Joe’s life history up until Penn State:

(born Dec. 21, 1926, Brooklyn, N.Y., U.S.) American collegiate gridiron football coach who, as head coach at Pennsylvania State University (1966– ), was one of the most successful coaches in the history of the sport.
Paterno served in the U.S. Army in the final year of World War II before accepting an athletic scholarship to Brown University, where he studied English literature and played quarterback for the football team. Upon graduation in 1950, he intended to enroll in law school but was lured away when his former coach at Brown, Charles (“Rip”) Engle, became head coach at Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). After 16 years as Engle’s assistant, Paterno succeeded him in 1966.

He didn’t get any favors and he didn’t “know” anybody.

Now please give it a rest. The issue is what Joe knew and should have done since 2002.

25 posted on 11/10/2011 8:35:52 AM PST by Comstock1 (You can't have Falstaff and have him thin.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

They let him finish HS. He was 18 when he joined. Just saying.

26 posted on 11/10/2011 8:41:22 AM PST by libbylu (Game On!)

To: SaxxonWoods
What does this have to do with the price of underage boys in China?

Or Pennsylvania.

27 posted on 11/10/2011 8:42:55 AM PST by Boston Blackie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

The act took place on university grounds.Paterno did not witness it. It was only reported to him as part of the chain of command. Paterno did report the transgression within the university chain of command when it was reported to him. It would literally take 10 to 15 minutes to get to the top of the chain and be reported to the police. The question is where did it break in the chain. That is the guy responsible. Must everyone in the chain go directly to the police. Is Paterno to be held accountable for his superiors even though he did not witness the act with his own eyes.I think many are being too hard on the guy

28 posted on 11/10/2011 8:44:01 AM PST by chuckee (quality rather than)

To: chuckee
To me, the weird and unexplainable part, is that Joe Paterno, never even asked the G.A. what he saw (The G.A. now WR coach, only stated to seeing something innappropriate in the shower happening with Sandusky and a child.........that "innapropriate" action, was Sandusky brutally anally raping a child).....

Joe Paterno, after having made his phone call, never spoke up again, not even telling Sandusky what he had heard, and has no questions in regarding to Sandusky being banned. He fullfilled his legal obligation, but he failed miserablly on his moral obligations.

29 posted on 11/10/2011 8:56:29 AM PST by Sonny M ("oderint dum metuant")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

" Is Paterno to be held accountable for his superiors even though he did not witness the act with his own eyes.I think many are being too hard on the guy"

Let me ask you something. If anyone in this "chain of command" had been told that the 10 year old boy who had been sexually fondled or sodomized or whatever by Jerry Sandusky had been their child or grandchild, do you think any of them would have thought twice about going to the police? Or would they have just kicked it upstairs up the "chain of command" and let the "higher ups" take care of it.
30 posted on 11/10/2011 9:05:09 AM PST by Old Teufel Hunden

To: Sonny M
" only stated to seeing something innappropriate in the shower happening with Sandusky and a child.........that "innapropriate" action, was Sandusky brutally anally raping a child)..... "

By Joepa's own words in his grand jury testimony, he admits to being told that it was of a sexual nature. He is claiming he didn't know it was rape, but he admits it was of a sexual nature. Isn't that enough to question McQuarry (the eyewitness) further on it? Not for Joepa. He didn't want to know anymore details.
31 posted on 11/10/2011 9:08:24 AM PST by Old Teufel Hunden
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

“WRONG they had a point system for discharges. Normally(like in my Dad’s case) it was DURATION + 6 months.”

No.

32 posted on 11/10/2011 9:14:54 AM PST by Kirkwood (Zombie Hunter)

LOL.

it’s the new normal.

33 posted on 11/10/2011 10:01:18 AM PST by WOBBLY BOB (See ya later, debt inflator ! Gone in 4 (2012))

Post of the Day.

34 posted on 11/10/2011 10:04:40 AM PST by Hoodat (Because they do not change, Therefore they do not fear God. -Psalm 55:19-)

That post was full of win.

35 posted on 11/10/2011 10:06:55 AM PST by dfwgator (I stand with Herman Cain.)

Is Paterno to be held accountable for his superiors even though he did not witness the act with his own eyes.I think many are being too hard on the guy.////

How long after he reported the incident was it that he realized that no action was taken? At some point he should have known that there was a breakdown and should have pushed the issue.

36 posted on 11/10/2011 10:15:45 AM PST by Know et al (The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.)

You Sir, win the internets for today!

regards,

37 posted on 11/10/2011 10:19:01 AM PST by Thunder 6

Sheesh. Always a pseudo theologian among us.

38 posted on 11/10/2011 10:20:18 AM PST by 353FMG (.)

To: Old Teufel Hunden
By Joepa's own words in his grand jury testimony, he admits to being told that it was of a sexual nature. He is claiming he didn't know it was rape, but he admits it was of a sexual nature. Isn't that enough to question McQuarry (the eyewitness) further on it? Not for Joepa. He didn't want to know anymore details.

Well, when told it was "inappropriate" conduct in the shower between a grown man and a child, he concluded it was sexual in nature, pretty much anyone would, but what is most damning, was that he did NOT ask McQuarry what he specifically saw, and showed, no curiosity or interest in the details, not at that point in time, nor at any point and time after.

The "don't tell me, I don't want to know" school of thought, may get you a pass on legal grounds, but it will never get you one on moral grounds. He may not be charged, but he will be shamed.

39 posted on 11/10/2011 10:20:28 AM PST by Sonny M ("oderint dum metuant")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: Know et al

There were players on the radio this morning who said that as late as 2007 Sandusky was bringing boys to the football facilities and introducing them to everyone, including Joe Paterno. Paterno did nothing.

40 posted on 11/10/2011 10:22:29 AM PST by petitfour
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

Bless you for that line, my son. LOL!

41 posted on 11/10/2011 10:24:31 AM PST by andy58-in-nh (America does not need to be organized: it needs to be liberated.)

" he concluded it was sexual in nature, pretty much anyone would, but what is most damning, was that he did NOT ask McQuarry what he specifically saw, and showed, no curiosity or interest in the details, not at that point in time, nor at any point and time after."

Yeah, that was exactly what I was trying to get at but I guess I said it poorly. If McQuarry had come to me with this story, my first question would be, okay tell me exactly what you witnessed. Joe seemed to show no interest in finding out what happened. Just in kicking it upstairs and getting it off his plate. Doing the minimal and moving on. When I think of great men and women (as Joe was surely thought of before this), I think of men and women that go out of their way to do the right thing. Joepa didn't do the right thing by this 10 year old boy (who as I understand we still don't know the identity of) and all of Sandusky's future victims.
42 posted on 11/10/2011 10:30:05 AM PST by Old Teufel Hunden
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: bunkerhill7
I admit I stole this off the joke thread.

Q: What do you call an older woman who like young boys?
A: A cougar.

Q: What do you call an older man who like young boys?
A: A Nittany Lion.

43 posted on 11/10/2011 10:33:39 AM PST by SoJoCo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Old Teufel Hunden
Yeah, that was exactly what I was trying to get at but I guess I said it poorly. If McQuarry had come to me with this story, my first question would be, okay tell me exactly what you witnessed. Joe seemed to show no interest in finding out what happened. Just in kicking it upstairs and getting it off his plate. Doing the minimal and moving on. When I think of great men and women (as Joe was surely thought of before this), I think of men and women that go out of their way to do the right thing. Joepa didn't do the right thing by this 10 year old boy (who as I understand we still don't know the identity of) and all of Sandusky's future victims.

I liked Joe Pa, I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but, in doing so, his actions are unexplainable. I fear, that we have only just begun to see the details of this sordid tragedy, and that its only going to get worse.

44 posted on 11/10/2011 10:49:48 AM PST by Sonny M ("oderint dum metuant")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

Best case scenario: Senile optimist Joe couldn't fathom that some one he worked so closely with for years was a child predator and was basically in denial about the seriousness of the charges, causing him to under-react.

Worst case scenario: Joe and Penn State brass hushed up the 2002 incident to hide the fact that they previously hushed up the 1999 incident--all out pure self-regard for their own interests and the reputation of Penn State.

Really worst case scenario: Joe Pa has similar taste in shower companions.

Really Really Worst Case Scenario: Same as above but the local DA who never prosecuted the 1999 incident was in on it too and the Nittany Lion pedo cabal had him offed when he threatened to expose the ring (he went missing 5 years ago and they found his computer sans hard drive in a river.)

45 posted on 11/10/2011 4:23:20 PM PST by Callahan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

Especially 19 year old kid with virtually no training. He was a consumer, not a producer. They could dump him a lot cheaper than bringing home someone from overseas.

46 posted on 11/10/2011 4:27:03 PM PST by Vermont Lt (I just don't like anything about the President. And I don't think he's a nice guy.)

It depended on the convenience of the Service as well as the point system. There probably wasn't a need for Paterno to serve beyond one year.
47 posted on 11/10/2011 6:43:19 PM PST by GAB-1955 (I write books, serve my country, love my wife and daughter, and believe in the Resurrection.)

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson