Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Yes, Virginia, There Is a Redneck World Magazine
sacbee.com ^ | 9 Dec 2011 | Redneck World

Posted on 12/09/2011 1:28:53 PM PST by smokingfrog

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Dec. 9, 2011 -- Redneck World magazine, founded in 2001 by Frank Fraser, began as little more than a local flyer, but quickly grew into a full-fledged magazine with distribution to over forty US states, and Canada. After Fraser's death in 2008, the magazine ceased publication. Now, three years later, Redneck World magazine has been reborn, as a free online publication, under the capable hands of business and advertising manager Lucy Fraser, graphics designer and webmaster Joni Griffith, and publisher, editor and contributing writer Douglas Crouse.

High-Tech Redneck?

Not only has the staff had to face the realities of the high costs of conventional printing and distribution, but the changing publishing environment overall. Today, we see newspaper, magazine and book sales rapidly declining, while online subscriptions and sales of e-books have increased dramatically. Going digital was not only economically and logistically more feasible, but a decision based on the realities of changing technology and the dissemination of information and entertainment.

But, Redneck World?

Certainly, the term Redneck has had a lot of undeserved negative connotations, historically and culturally. Comedian Jeff Foxworthy changed all that. Yes, Foxworthy proudly proclaims himself to be a Redneck. He also holds an engineering degree, and worked for IBM. And he's built a lucrative career out of proving many of us might be Rednecks as well. Rednecks aren't stupid. They just have an aversion to pretension - a "glorious absence of sophistication," as Foxworthy defines it.

(Excerpt) Read more at sacbee.com ...

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Humor
KEYWORDS: redneck
We're Baaaack!
1 posted on 12/09/2011 1:29:01 PM PST by smokingfrog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: smokingfrog; Salamander; Eaker

Redneck ping.

2 posted on 12/09/2011 1:36:24 PM PST by humblegunner (The kinder, gentler version...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: humblegunner

I’m not a Redneck.
I’m a Hillbilly.

There is a subtle but significant distinction.

[and we don’t have an official magazine because none of us can cipher]

3 posted on 12/09/2011 1:43:03 PM PST by Salamander (I'm Wounded, Old And Treacherous.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Salamander
I’m not a Redneck.
I’m a Hillbilly.

A mere topographical distinction.

4 posted on 12/09/2011 1:45:20 PM PST by humblegunner (The kinder, gentler version...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

http://redneckworld.us/issues/7-1/index.html#/1/

ping

5 posted on 12/09/2011 1:51:35 PM PST by thackney (life is fragile, handle with prayer)

To: smokingfrog

Reporting for duty!!

6 posted on 12/09/2011 1:55:37 PM PST by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum)

I’m an educated Southern Redneck and damn proud of it too!!!

7 posted on 12/09/2011 1:57:24 PM PST by therut

“Mere”??

Boah, em’s fattin’ wers!

Nah git awn ehp hyar so’ins Ah kin whup yeer ayass!

;D

[I’m reading it now..it’s really good..thankee kindly]

8 posted on 12/09/2011 2:14:00 PM PST by Salamander (I'm Wounded, Old And Treacherous.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Salamander
Order of precedence:

Hoosier
Redneck
Hillbilly

9 posted on 12/09/2011 2:24:05 PM PST by E. Pluribus Unum (Holding our flawed politicians to higher standards than the enemy’s politicians guarantees they win)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: E. Pluribus Unum

Says you!

LOL

10 posted on 12/09/2011 2:44:53 PM PST by Salamander (I'm Wounded, Old And Treacherous.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Actually, we are no longer Rednecks, We are “Appalachian Americans”. Has a nice and familiar ring to it.

11 posted on 12/09/2011 3:26:01 PM PST by bytesmith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I looked at the Redneck World magazine - very, very cool !

12 posted on 12/09/2011 3:31:36 PM PST by CORedneck

ya gotta love it... HillRods unite
13 posted on 12/09/2011 3:52:59 PM PST by Chode (American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson