Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: TXnMA

No, I don’t know how to do that. Your point is interesting though, because I also take google satellite images along when I go, simply printed on card stock and laminated. The google images allow individual trees to be resolved along my path, but I don’t get elevation. Several miles of my trip fits onto one page, so between them, I’m set. But I’ve wished for an all-in-one solution, as google empties the photo cache when wifi service ceases. I’ll check again next year for upgrades to Topo that might allow that.

194 posted on 12/24/2011 8:42:21 PM PST by Sundog (When Hollywood defines reality there is no reality.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 190 | View Replies ]

To: Sundog
Ah! So, you are apparently running NGS "TOPO!" on the iPad! I have TOPO! in this 17" Macbook Pro -- with the relevant (Northeastern Texas) disks stored on my hard drive.

I expect what is needed is an actual GIS program that can create and "georeference" photos -- so that they are adjusted to some common coordinate system like "UTM" or "Decimal Degrees" and aligned to some standard "datum" and scaling system (like "NAD 83"). IOW, the GIS functions align, warp and stretch maps and images from various sources so that they match and align to whatever base map (USGS Topo, for example) that you are using.

There is a hint that NGS TOPO! may have such functionality -- available through their "mapXchange" membership-account online server. (Check out "mapXchange" in NGS TOPO!'s preferences...)

I'll do some research on the subject, and, if I come up with anything promising, I'll share with you here on FR.

~~~~~~~~~~

Couldn't resist doing a quick online check...'-} Check out TOPO! Explorer Deluxe, which includes the following:

"SuperQuads™ The new online map set exclusive to TOPO! Explorer. Each SuperQuad contains (6) layers of map information including: USGS 1:24,000, and 1:100,000 scale topographic, I-Cubed Aerial Photography with 4 meter resolution, USGS Digital Elevations and Names, and an exclusive HybridQuad which blends Aerial Photography with topographic linework."

Those "Hybridquads" sound like a canned version of the topo/photo composites we were discussing...

(Of course, what I really want is the capability to create and use my own custom composite photo/maps -- and use them on the iPad, with live GPS tracks overlaid on them...)

~~~~~~~~~~

Merry (what' s left of) Christmas!

TXnMA

P.S. For an example of my map creations, check out my draft National Heritage Area Map... (2 MB BIG)

196 posted on 12/25/2011 6:44:40 PM PST by TXnMA ("Allah": Satan's current alias...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 194 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson