Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Anyone else spending Christmas Eve alone? (vanity)
12/24/2011 | Skooz

Posted on 12/24/2011 4:37:18 PM PST by Skooz

Merry Christmas everyone! My sincere hope is that all of you, each and every one, will have a joyous Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Just wondering if any others out there are spending this sacred night solo.

Besides my trusty Boxer, Django the Wonderdog, and a new edition to the household, a gorgeous long-haired black cat I have dubbed Jackson, I have the house to myself all evening and night.

Tomorrow, it will be family wall-to-wall at mom's house, complete with gifts and an excellent multi-calorie dinner. But, tonight, I'll enjoy a quiet supper and a nice cappuccino, watching "The Muppet Christmas Carol," and maybe "A Christmas Story." Probably turn in early.

Anyone else in Freeperland alone tonight? Just curious.

TOPICS: Cheese, Moose, Sister; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: christmas; christmasalone; christmasfreepers
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 251-300301-350351-400401-438 next last
To: Skooz

Just me and and a few hundred of my coalition and afghan buddies. You haven’t lived until you’ve had the traditional Afghan Christmas Eve dinner of dried bread and rice.

301 posted on 12/24/2011 10:30:01 PM PST by NavVet ("You Lie!")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: fr_freak; 50mm; shibumi; null and void

Yet for others, it’s just a line from Alice Cooper’s “Billion Dollar Babies”

:)

[OTOH, you don’t ~really~ know which it might be, do you?]

>:-)

302 posted on 12/24/2011 10:35:04 PM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 299 | View Replies]

To: AtlantaBelle; eyedigress
Thank you and Old Sarge for MY FREEDOM.....I pray for all the Vets EVERY DAY and I always say” THANK YOU GOD FOR THESE BRAVE MEN”.....who VOLUNTEER to SERVE for ME...for MY FREEDOM.......and NEVER, EVER, EVER ask for payment from me. I get to live my life of freedom and YOU pay MY price. THANK YOU simply is never enough. GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY!!!!

Amen to that! So grateful.
303 posted on 12/24/2011 10:38:38 PM PST by MonicaG (God bless our military! Praying and thanking God for you every day. Thank you!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 180 | View Replies]

To: Salamander; Old Sarge
Sho' 'nuff - we always have a soft spot for orphans and strays. We'll fix ya a plate and give ya a warm blanket to curl up on.....! The Dachshunds co-occupying it are just our manual version of an electric blanket. Keeps your feet warm. :-)

304 posted on 12/24/2011 10:38:46 PM PST by Viking2002 (My regular avatar shall resume upon returning from the holiday festivities......assuming it's sober.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 298 | View Replies]

To: WhirlwindAttack

Prayers for a quick & complete recovery. God bless you.

305 posted on 12/24/2011 10:43:05 PM PST by MonicaG (God bless our military! Praying and thanking God for you every day. Thank you!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 190 | View Replies]

To: Viking2002

Sounds wonderfully apropos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqdyhlw7CzQ

;]

306 posted on 12/24/2011 10:49:53 PM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 304 | View Replies]

To: fr_freak

God bless you fr_freak. Thank you for your service.

307 posted on 12/24/2011 10:51:02 PM PST by MonicaG (God bless our military! Praying and thanking God for you every day. Thank you!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 254 | View Replies]

Merry Christmas from KAF. I'm here alone with a few thousond of my military buddies. Photobucket
308 posted on 12/24/2011 10:56:14 PM PST by Hotmetal (Courage is being scared to death..............and saddling up anyway.)

To: A_perfect_lady
I hate the present thing.....I think a nice present would be something really neat found at a phenom price at an antique shop or goodwill the middle of January or so...something just coming in out of the blue...

but this planned present stuff I detest....I'm trying hard to get rid of stuff...

made up my mind tonite to even get rid of 40 yro HS yearbooks...

Christmas should be more like Thanksgiving.....food....family...friends....football....NO PRESENTS....

anyway, if anyone is a freeper, he or she is never truely alone....Merry Christmas to all, and I hope that a new peacefulness and happiness comes into everyones heart....because besides the angst with bamey, and all the troubles in the world, we can be totally happy if we just learn to love the little things, the family things, the fellowship things...

309 posted on 12/24/2011 10:57:07 PM PST by cherry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 112 | View Replies]

Technically I suppose I'm spending the evening alone, having packed off my brother and my Mom down a snowy Idaho road - had to tow his big ol' pickemup truck up my driveway with my little Subaru after dinner when he got stuck. California boy. Drove all the way up from San Diego to spend Christmas with us. I'll be seeing him tomorrow morning and the rest of the family but for now it's me and the snow and a cabin on a frozen lake. Me and the eagles and God. It's pretty good company.

My very best to my FRiends, and may the good Lord fill your cups to overflowing and bless you with the wisdom to recognize it. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

310 posted on 12/24/2011 10:58:06 PM PST by Billthedrill

To: Hotmetal

God bless you Hotmetal! Merry Christmas to you & all your buddies. XOXOXO

311 posted on 12/24/2011 10:59:56 PM PST by MonicaG (God bless our military! Praying and thanking God for you every day. Thank you!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 308 | View Replies]

Just me and my blind, deaf, arthritic dog...Christmas day the family decends on my house....doing some last minute cooking....:O) I am wondering if there is such a thing as a dog nose bumper. She’s running into some stuff but does well all things considered. She knows the house by heart but if something is out of place she bumps it...I find she does use the wall to walk from the bedroom to the living room with her body just barely touching the walls...Merry Christmas to all....

312 posted on 12/24/2011 11:02:16 PM PST by goat granny

To: tflabo

Yes. Happy Birthday Jesus. :). And Merry Christmas to you tflabo.

313 posted on 12/24/2011 11:05:17 PM PST by GOP Poet (Time for Bambi and his commie crew to go.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

To: goat granny
Howdy, GG! Yeah, Christmas is hard on the animals who want everything where it was yesterday. My Mom's cat regards the whole thing as a massive inconvenience pointed directly at her. Of course, Christmas morning...there are BOXES!

Merry Christmas to you!

314 posted on 12/24/2011 11:05:31 PM PST by Billthedrill
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 312 | View Replies]

To: goat granny

Merry Christmas goat granny and a very special Merry Christmas to your beautiful, amazing dog. God bless you both.

315 posted on 12/24/2011 11:07:14 PM PST by GOP Poet (Time for Bambi and his commie crew to go.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 312 | View Replies]

To: Salamander
Aw, jeez, don't put me into one of those ponderous, self-reflective Jethro Tull funks this late at night.......LOL

316 posted on 12/24/2011 11:07:51 PM PST by Viking2002 (My regular avatar shall resume upon returning from the holiday festivities......assuming it's sober.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 306 | View Replies]

To: Mmogamer

Although its not the same, your freeper family is with you...Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year....May it be filled with wonderful things for you and your children..

317 posted on 12/24/2011 11:12:13 PM PST by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Too late...I’m in deep and I’m draggin’ ya with me.....;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=3GXNB2UeJF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlrxyiIVFUU

318 posted on 12/24/2011 11:20:48 PM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 316 | View Replies]

To: All

I just got home from work (night nurse). It’s just me and my kitty,Titus, awake. Hubby and kids are fast asleep. But I couldn’t go to bed without wishing my Freeper family a blessed Merry Christmas!!! Love to you all!

319 posted on 12/24/2011 11:23:22 PM PST by LibSnubber
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 317 | View Replies]

To: Viking2002; shibumi

More apropos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibz4xAejos

320 posted on 12/24/2011 11:27:51 PM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 316 | View Replies]

I don't care how white ya are, if this doesn't get yer head bobbing and yer feet duck-walking, there's something wrong with ya:

Minstrel In The Gallery

Damn you, Salamander! Now you got me started!!!!

321 posted on 12/24/2011 11:40:52 PM PST by Viking2002 (My regular avatar shall resume upon returning from the holiday festivities......assuming it's sober.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 320 | View Replies]

To: Billthedrill

I use to be a compulsive furniture rearranger, now nothing can be our of place. I forgot and left my purse on the floor in the computer room, yep, she fell over it...we take one day at a time....A very Merry Christmas to you also....cats are king and your mom’s cat knows this...:O)

322 posted on 12/24/2011 11:40:56 PM PST by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 314 | View Replies]

To: GOP Poet
Thanks and a Blessed Christmas to you..yep she is amazing, and taking it in stride..she was really depressed when she lost her hearing..as long as she can smell food, she'll do fine. She had to learn to take a treat out of my hand carefully. The first time she didn't know where my hand ended and the snack began and drew blood. But is back to taking snacks gently out my hand...

I figure as long as she keeps eating and her tail is still wagging she's doing alright...the blindness was casused by SARDs. Her blindness took a week, some dogs it goes within 12 hours, no known cause no treatment...very rare,

If she doesn't wag her tail enough, I wag it for her...LOL

323 posted on 12/24/2011 11:50:17 PM PST by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 315 | View Replies]

Oh, thank God for change-up!

I was trapped in Stormwatch.

[at least I didn’t post “Flying Dutchman”]

Just call me The Black Ace Dog Handler
[or a waiter, on skates]

324 posted on 12/25/2011 12:00:59 AM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 321 | View Replies]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgh6V-kXnv4

Possibly my favorite of all time.

:)

325 posted on 12/25/2011 12:05:05 AM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 321 | View Replies]

I'll bet you're a fan of Blackmore's Night, aren't you? :-)

326 posted on 12/25/2011 12:14:52 AM PST by Viking2002 (My regular avatar shall resume upon returning from the holiday festivities......assuming it's sober.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 325 | View Replies]

May the Lord bless each and everyone of you in this thread and delivery unto you His amazing grace and salvation.

327 posted on 12/25/2011 2:00:53 AM PST by WKUHilltopper (And yet...we continue to tolerate this crap...)

Good Morning Skooz, may you have found your Christmas Eve peaceful.

I too will be spending both Christmas Eve and Day...alone except for my animals.

When I was a kid, Christmas was not a day of “Merry.” Even as I have aged fond memories are hard to find, but I do recall literally praying for this very thing. A quiet Christmas. A Christmas not filled with shouting, screaming, beer bottles flying, sirens or police and arrests.

And so last night, like many in my adult life, was spent listening to the radio-land stories of other people's Merry Christmas. Christmas stories I don't relate to at all.

I started the evening feeling a bit forlorn and melancholy at having nowhere to be and in many ways...not wanted anywhere. This year not a single person in my life even bothered to ask. I would have still said, “No thank you.” But, at least I would have the "gift" of being validated as even existing, being thought of, and maybe even being missed.

And so today will be long and silent too. I have a few pets I am “sitting,” that will greet me with tailwags and high fours several times today, but contact with another human being will not happen.

Last night as I prayed, I did ask God how I got to this Christmas place and was reminded it was something prayed for long ago. And considering what my Christmas memories are and my Christmas today, the calm, the peace, the quiet is my gift.

328 posted on 12/25/2011 2:34:20 AM PST by EBH (God Humbles Nations, Leaders, and Peoples before He uses them for His Purpose)

To: potlatch

.. . . . Merry Christmas potlatch

329 posted on 12/25/2011 4:15:11 AM PST by devolve (- - - - - - - - - - - MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL - - - - - - - - - - - - -)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 294 | View Replies]

This thread rocks!
Merry Christmas!
M-E-R-R-Y C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S!
Joy to the World!
The Lord has come!
Let all of earth sing and rejoice!
Because HE LIVES...I can face tomorrow!
Because He lives...no more despair!
Because I knnnnnooooooowwwww, He holds the future...
and life is WORTH-THE-LIVING...just because HE lives!
Thank you Jesus!
330 posted on 12/25/2011 5:14:27 AM PST by Mean Maryjean

To: 2nd amendment mama

I am doing well, but, as of last week Saturday, I am unemployed again, might have work in the south, had a good interview 2 weeks ago :)

331 posted on 12/25/2011 5:16:42 AM PST by RaceBannon (Ron Paul is to the Constitution what Fred Phelps is to the Bible.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

I'll send you a half dozen kids between the ages of 3 and 7 who belong to my nieces and nephews. They're all pumped up on santa excitement, chocolates and cookies right now so they're good to go for a couple hours.......

I'll pick them up from you on Tuesday......

332 posted on 12/25/2011 5:27:12 AM PST by Hot Tabasco (All I want for Christmas is a nickle bag of Myrrh and a pipe.........)

To: Hot Tabasco

Thanks so much for the offer.

But, I’m good. Really.

333 posted on 12/25/2011 6:05:51 AM PST by Skooz (Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 332 | View Replies]

To: EBH

EBH,

I am sure several churches within short driving distance are holding services this morning. Why not drop in? Most churches are more casual on Christmas and the services tend to be a little shorter.

A word from God, and a sincere “Merry Christmas!” from (and to) a stranger can do wonders for your spirit. It may also begin a process of healing for a rocky start in life.

My hope is that this is a short rough patch for you, and that God will overwhelm you with friendships and the blessings of vital relationships very soon.

God bless you and have a very Merry Christmas.

334 posted on 12/25/2011 6:15:49 AM PST by Skooz (Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 328 | View Replies]

To: combat_boots
...so I get up this morning, and I hear my wife whisking something on the stovetop. "You're not actually going to try that egg-nog thing with hamburger buns???"

You were right...that IS good...even with buns. Can't wait to try it with NORMAL bread. Even my wife is raving...she has already called several friends to pass the recipe along...

Thanks, Boots!

335 posted on 12/25/2011 6:46:14 AM PST by who knows what evil? (G-d saved more animals than people on the ark...www.siameserescue.org.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 222 | View Replies]

To: AtlantaBelle

Thanks for sharing that.

336 posted on 12/25/2011 6:52:41 AM PST by Skooz (Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us Gabba Gabba we accept you we accept you one of us)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 205 | View Replies]

I’m 5’10” 305#, your tagline is why we’ll never date.

(Yes I know the Cooper reference)...

337 posted on 12/25/2011 7:24:18 AM PST by null and void (Day 1068 of America's ObamaVacation from reality [Heroes aren't made, Frank, they're cornered...])
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 297 | View Replies]

To: SaraJohnson; All
Merry Christmas

338 posted on 12/25/2011 7:45:27 AM PST by TomGuy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 208 | View Replies]

One look, could kill. My pain, your thrill.

339 posted on 12/25/2011 10:01:43 AM PST by 50mm (Trust nobody and you'll never be disappointed.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 302 | View Replies]

To: devolve
~~Merry Christmas Devolve~~
340 posted on 12/25/2011 10:45:23 AM PST by potlatch (*snip*~ Having the right to be angry does not give one the right to be cruel. ~*snip*)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 329 | View Replies]

To: 50mm

...just to hear you screamin’ my name.

;]

341 posted on 12/25/2011 10:49:50 AM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 339 | View Replies]

To: null and void

Not even if I leave the whips and chains at home?

342 posted on 12/25/2011 10:51:23 AM PST by Salamander (I'm your pain.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 337 | View Replies]

It depends more on what you bring with...

343 posted on 12/25/2011 11:51:33 AM PST by null and void (Day 1068 of America's ObamaVacation from reality [Heroes aren't made, Frank, they're cornered...])
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 342 | View Replies]

I spent too much time Lost in Hollywood...

344 posted on 12/25/2011 11:59:27 AM PST by null and void (Day 1068 of America's ObamaVacation from reality [Heroes aren't made, Frank, they're cornered...])
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 326 | View Replies]

To: Skooz; Jim Robinson; Admin Moderator; Sidebar Moderator; potlatch; Lady Jag; Allegra; caww; ...

I just have to tell each of you, what you mean to me. No...you may not know it, you may not know me, but I know you!

Each of you have touched my life (not to sound dramatic or anything ...but it's true) through your humour,your grahics, your jokes, your freeper fur-baby stories, and just your general 'we can do it' attitudes'. I'm grateful for each of you and for ALL the freepers on here.

We've sparred, argued and shared prayers and compassion with one another and if there is one thing I'm sure of, we all love God, our country and each other in Christ's love. And so...please know I am grateful to each of you on this list and to all freepers I may have missed. I am proud to be a part and thank you for allowing me to be that part.

I don't know if we will see another Christmas in peace here in our blessed nation so I'm feeling particularly sentimental and grateful (forgive me for being somewhat 'sappy').

My family was over last nite and as I was watching my 7 year old grandson, I prayed to God that we might all continue to receive HIS blessings and allow our children and our grandchildren to experience those blessings as well.

And Jim, thank you for providing the forum for all of us to gather. We may not always agree, but at least we have a refuge to run to. Thank you sir.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!

ow

345 posted on 12/25/2011 12:55:55 PM PST by Outlaw Woman ( Hello, Hello...Remember me...I'm everything you can't control...)

To: Outlaw Woman

And a very Merry Christmas to you too, m’Lady.

346 posted on 12/25/2011 12:58:46 PM PST by MHGinTN (Some, believing they cannot be deceived, it's impossible to convince them when they're deceived.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 345 | View Replies]

Nicely said, OW! Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to FReeper Nation. God bless (help) us all!

347 posted on 12/25/2011 12:58:54 PM PST by rabidralph

Visiting my dad and some siblings in Virginia.

Merry Christmas, FReepers!

348 posted on 12/25/2011 1:05:15 PM PST by Allegra (Hey! Stop looking at my tagline like that.)

What a wonderful post outlaw. Merry Christmas to you.

349 posted on 12/25/2011 1:08:03 PM PST by freekitty (Give me back my conservative vote; then find me a real conservative to vote for)

Thanks, and right back atcha!

350 posted on 12/25/2011 1:10:39 PM PST by humblegunner (The kinder, gentler version...)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 251-300301-350351-400401-438 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson