Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Chicago Jogger Critically Injured by Pit Bulls
FoxNews.com ^ | Published January 02, 2012

Posted on 01/02/2012 8:55:41 PM PST by Behind Liberal Lines

A Chicago man was left in critical condition after two pit bull terriers attacked him as he jogged along the city's lakefront Monday morning.

The 62-year-old man was running in the city's South Shore neighborhood at approximately 6 a.m. when the mauling occurred. He sustained bites all over his body, including on his face.

"They were just going after the man like he was a piece of steak," Stanley Lee, who swung a baseball bat at the dogs in hopes to free the jogger, told MyFoxChicago.com. He went on to say the dogs went for the jogger's throat, face and arms, and called the attack was the worst thing he's ever seen.

Police officers found the dogs a short distance away from the site of the attack and fatally shot the animals as they attempted to attack them, department spokesman Officer Robert Perez said.

Neither officer was injured, he said.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS:
KEYWORDS: iowacaucus; pitbull; pitbulls
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

1 posted on 01/02/2012 8:55:43 PM PST by Behind Liberal Lines
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Behind Liberal Lines

I think I’m going to start packing when I run.

2 posted on 01/02/2012 8:58:10 PM PST by Hoosier-Daddy ( "It does no good to be a super power if you have to worry what the neighbors think." BuffaloJack)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

But Pit Bulls are just like any other dog, right?

(sarcasm)

3 posted on 01/02/2012 8:58:21 PM PST by vladimir998

Police officers found the dogs a short distance away from the site of the attack and fatally shot the animals

Damned cops, always shooting somebody's pets......./s

4 posted on 01/02/2012 9:01:48 PM PST by umgud

I guess this time it’s ok the cop shot the dog. ;)

5 posted on 01/02/2012 9:02:13 PM PST by 1FreeAmerican

Pit bulls are not the only dog that is easy to make mean, but probably the most infamous.

6 posted on 01/02/2012 9:02:47 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))

To: vladimir998

But Pit Bulls are just like any other dog, right?

When will they ever learn

7 posted on 01/02/2012 9:03:45 PM PST by munin (Live free or on the news earlier todayatementched the st die. Put Paul in the hall)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Hoosier-Daddy

Buy Sabre Bear Spray with a Holster model. GREAT STUFF!
Bears, Dogs, Thugs! Works at 35’ like a fire extingusher.
I never leave home without a bottle on my belt when I jog.

8 posted on 01/02/2012 9:08:03 PM PST by TaMoDee (GO PACK GO to Super Bowl XLVI)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: HiTech RedNeck

This type of problem is not just with pit bulls.

Almost all dogs have a natural tendency to chase things that run from them. It’s part of that whole I’m-a-dog thing!

9 posted on 01/02/2012 9:09:36 PM PST by djf (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2801220/posts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: 1FreeAmerican

Yes there are proper times to shoot a dog. Cop or not.

What many object ot is shooting dogs who are enclosd in their own backyard and cops come into the yard chasing a suspect and blow the dog away. Or kicking your cat in the house and telling the homeowner they’re lucky they didn’t blow the effing cat away.

10 posted on 01/02/2012 9:11:22 PM PST by Secret Agent Man (I'd like to tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: djf

Very few dogs will bite a jogger that isn’t in their own yard. Even fewer dogs will continue attacking after the first bite.

11 posted on 01/02/2012 9:13:19 PM PST by mamelukesabre
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

“Almost all dogs have a natural tendency to chase things that run from them.”

From the Fox article:

“Travis also said part of her office’s investigation will be to determine how the dogs were cared for, explaining that dogs do not typically attack people, and when they do it is often after they have been mistreated.
“Dogs don’t just attack,” she said.”

12 posted on 01/02/2012 9:19:33 PM PST by Rennes Templar

To: Rennes Templar

Way back, for a lot of years my pretty much exclusive more of transportation was a nice 18 speed bike.

I was chased by MANY, MANY, MANY dogs. I can tell you I don’t blame the dogs... they were just doing what comes natural.

13 posted on 01/02/2012 9:31:50 PM PST by djf (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2801220/posts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I once had two pit bulls leave their saliva on my ankles when I was running while the owner watched and didn’t even try to call them off.

14 posted on 01/02/2012 9:32:35 PM PST by Post Toasties (Leftists give insanity a bad name. 0bama: Four years of failure and fingerpointing.)

To: mamelukesabre
You forget that most dogs don't have the intellect to distinguish a sidewalk from a yard territorially. And I know of a case that a jogger was hit by a car in a street trying to avoid a vicious dog that chased him there.

You need to consider such things.

15 posted on 01/02/2012 9:35:12 PM PST by Post Toasties (Leftists give insanity a bad name. 0bama: Four years of failure and fingerpointing.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

When the two pit bulls went after my ankles, I was not running away from them, but if anything parallel or toward them. And I was on a sidewalk, not in a yard. As I previously posted, the owner didn’t try to call them off. Where was the owner in the case of the pit bull attack of this jogger?

16 posted on 01/02/2012 9:38:31 PM PST by Post Toasties (Leftists give insanity a bad name. 0bama: Four years of failure and fingerpointing.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Post Toasties

Well, in my experience, I’m not scared of dogs. The one thing I will do is stand up as tall as I can appear, NEVER turn my back to them, and just stare them down.

Problem is that doesn’t work with pit bulls... they can and will attack no matter what.

And I haven;t been bit since I was about 11, so whatever I have been doing, its worked for over 40 years.

17 posted on 01/02/2012 9:44:32 PM PST by djf (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2801220/posts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I would hope that most people realize that it is in their own interests to keep some sort of restraint on potentially dangerous animals even while on their property. If I had been mauled or even seriously bitten by these pit bulls, I would have sued their owner to hell and back. I won a lawsuit against the owner of a German Shepherd that bit my calf while I was running on the shoulder of a road.

18 posted on 01/02/2012 9:51:02 PM PST by Post Toasties (Leftists give insanity a bad name. 0bama: Four years of failure and fingerpointing.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Joggers need to be careful around dogs. Running causes a chase and attack response in dogs. Joggers sometimes put in earphones and can't hear the dog, car, train, that will get them.

Rule. 1 Don't run where there are dogs. They will chase and attack you.

Rule 2 Pull your head out of your acoustics and listen to what is going on around you.

Rule 3 Run on a proper track such as a high school track. You paid for it, use it!

Rule 4 Don't run if you see a cop! He will automatically chase and attack you.

I like walking. In all my 65 years, I have NEVER been bitten or ambushed by a dog.

19 posted on 01/02/2012 9:54:00 PM PST by Ruy Dias de Bivar

I’ve been jogging in the streets for over 40 years.

I’ve seen hundreds of dogs and was never attacked by any of them.

20 posted on 01/02/2012 9:56:14 PM PST by <1/1,000,000th%

They’re just so sweet when you train them right./sarcasm

21 posted on 01/02/2012 9:58:38 PM PST by patriot08 (TEXAS GAL- born and bred and proud of it!)

In honor of Chet99

22 posted on 01/02/2012 10:02:21 PM PST by teg_76

This type of problem is not just with pit bulls. Almost all dogs have a natural tendency to chase things that run from them. It’s part of that whole I’m-a-dog thing!

Huskies are bread to pull - hounds are bread to hunt - Grey hounds are bred to run - Pitts are bred to fight - to the death..it's innate in their DNA...

It's like having a loaded gun laying around,

23 posted on 01/02/2012 10:02:38 PM PST by maine-iac7 (A prudent man foreseeth the evil,... but the simple pass on, and are punished. Prov 23:3 KJV)

Ok , you see a one of these pos running loose pretend there is a bulls eye about his mid section and fire away.
24 posted on 01/02/2012 10:06:35 PM PST by org.whodat (Just another heartless American, hated by "AMNESTY" Newt, Willard, Perry and nervous supporters.)

OK, who is pulling all the threads about Labrador Retrievers mauling people. I mean, I am sure Labrador Retrievers eat as many people as pit bulls do. BUT SOMEBODY KEEPS DELETING THE THREADS!
Yes Virginia, I am being caustically sarcastic. Maybe someone has a thread on Labs licking people to death.

25 posted on 01/02/2012 10:06:43 PM PST by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (Repealing Obamacare is the ONLY GOAL.)

Sure, sure, that is why we never hear of pits killing anyone, right.

26 posted on 01/02/2012 10:09:51 PM PST by org.whodat (Just another heartless American, hated by "AMNESTY" Newt, Willard, Perry and nervous supporters.)

Pit Bulls are just like any other dog.

Its the owners that make them mean.

Overwhelmingly those drawn to owning pitbulls are shown to be dangerous.

Put them down , not the doggies!

27 posted on 01/02/2012 10:14:17 PM PST by NoLibZone (Buffet proves calls for more taxes is to buy votes,not reduce deficits.He pays less than Bush rates.)

That, and pit bulls have a very stout bite force, as compared with say a Labrador Retriever. Notice how mild the Lab's bite force is with compared to the APBT, which is one of the reason pit bulls are way up their for fatal and horrific survivable bites on humans. They combine fearlessness and tenacity with a high bite force.

Gee, it is like they were bred for fighting or something. (sarc)

28 posted on 01/02/2012 10:18:10 PM PST by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (Repealing Obamacare is the ONLY GOAL.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Freedom_Is_Not_Free

OH, link here.

http://carnivoraforum.com/index.cgi?board=zoological&action=display&thread=1164&page=3

29 posted on 01/02/2012 10:20:22 PM PST by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (Repealing Obamacare is the ONLY GOAL.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

I had a dog come after me once when I was out running. I pulled out a pepper spray and the owner started yelling at me not to spray his dog. I told him I wasn't going to spray his dog. I was going to kick his dog and the spray was for him.
30 posted on 01/02/2012 10:22:14 PM PST by paul51 (11 September 2001 - Never forget)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

just another example of a bad owner /s

31 posted on 01/02/2012 10:23:05 PM PST by paul51 (11 September 2001 - Never forget)

The pit bull is the master of the “continuing attack”. That is a big reason why when people are reportedly “mauled”, it is from a pit bull. Most other dog breeds just bite, they don’t continue to bite and bite and bite and bite.

32 posted on 01/02/2012 10:23:05 PM PST by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (Repealing Obamacare is the ONLY GOAL.)

To: NoLibZone

Actually I’m quite convinced they ARE NOT like other dogs.
The reason is, the whole thing has been done - kind of - in reverse.

Scientists in Russia tried the opposite, in the case of some type of fox that lives there. The reasons were selfish - the fox has a very luxuriant coat which makes very costly fur coats.

So they started trying to domesticate them by primarily picking the most human adapted animals from the litters and breeding them.

They ended up having a very successful program, and had fully domesticated foxes virtually identical to domesticated dogs.
Seven generations was all it took.

33 posted on 01/02/2012 10:23:25 PM PST by djf (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2801220/posts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

“They were just going after the man like he was a piece of steak,”

There is your typical Pit bull for you. That is exactly what you are.

34 posted on 01/02/2012 11:00:09 PM PST by Revel

I’ve been in quite many situations with loose dogs. The attacking part is not the breed.

Pit Bulls are more powerful and need more skilled owners.

I’m agreeing with the officer here. I would look at how they were treated and trained by the owners. I’d hold them accountable.

35 posted on 01/02/2012 11:10:30 PM PST by D-fendr (Deus non alligatur sacramentis sed nos alligamur.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: maine-iac7

I’ve never heard of a loaded pistol jumping up and chasing a jogger down to shoot ‘im....

36 posted on 01/02/2012 11:38:25 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

The wolf and the dog are now considered genetically identical by the scientists who know about such things.

37 posted on 01/02/2012 11:40:32 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: Revel

Of course, pits can be sweet too, depending on circumstances. I think there’s a dozen or so videos on You Tube showing a pit bull and a kitten or cat snuggling and playing together to various pieces of overly cute music.

38 posted on 01/02/2012 11:42:37 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: Hoosier-Daddy

I pack every where I go. Bad dog! Bang!

39 posted on 01/02/2012 11:52:31 PM PST by Jeff Chandler (Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"..foxes virtually identical to domesticated dogs. Seven generations was all it took"

Hyenas might take eight.

40 posted on 01/03/2012 12:03:32 AM PST by I see my hands (The old sod ne'er shall be forgot.)

This type of problem is not just with pit bulls.

Yeah. It's common among hyenas, lions, other otherwise docile animals. It's like they can smell fear. If you just make like you're not scared, you'll be protected.

41 posted on 01/03/2012 12:08:23 AM PST by lbryce (BHO:The bastard offspring of Satan and Medusa.)

What! The most visciuos attacks are from Pit Bulls.The worst bights, they mangle and disfigure. ought to be banned. They are lethal.
I never heard of a pack of wild poodlesor cocker spaniels attacking and disfiguring someone.
This man is in criticcl condition.
The south side of Chicago; that’s where the brothers be at. Roaming packs of pit bulls are a real danger in our forest preserves. This is one of only dozens of attacks.

I laugh when someone tells me their pit bull is gentle and well trained.

Why not legalize tigers in the city?
They don’t kill unless provoked.

42 posted on 01/03/2012 1:15:24 AM PST by ChiMark (chewed up his body for a decade)

To: Ruy Dias de Bivar

Your’re wrong on so many fronts. First this is not a rural area. This is a highly populated mainstream park on the city’s waterfront. These dogs run wild.
No leash no owner.
We do not need to be threatened by some stupid animal. If I’m in the remote country I get it, beware ,be careful.
Not in my neighborhood.
Why do we have to endure someone’s mutt? I would restrict dogs in the city.
I’m fed up with some yuppies retriever jumping on me.

Sorry, dog lovers keep your stinking mutts in your own yard

43 posted on 01/03/2012 1:24:13 AM PST by ChiMark (chewed up his body for a decade)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

I totally agree with you! It’s all just part of that whole “I’m a dog” thing!

I can’t tell you HOW many teacup poodles, miniature schnauzers, or toy Pomeranians maul people to death every week but the MSM ignores these stories!

Jeez, just yesterday a gang-banger walked through my ‘hood with a West Highland White and I nearly pissed my pants.

When will ignorant “non-dog” people learn that ALL DOGS ARE THE SAME and only owners and training differ?

Goodness gracious, don’t these people know that the reason there ARE different breeds is to perform exactly the same functions? My Newfoundlander is quite a ratter!

44 posted on 01/03/2012 1:27:02 AM PST by golux

The reasons, by the way, had absolutely nothing to do with fur coats. It was a Soviet breeding program exactly as you described, and it is “almost” still in existence, which is to say a number of researchers have essentially adopted the foxes, some of which they sell. Apparently they are docile and affectionate!

45 posted on 01/03/2012 1:33:29 AM PST by golux

To: D-fendr

Trained owners? The pit bulls in the inner city are likely to be conditioned to kill.

We’re talking owners who are ghetto trash if you can call them owners. This is Obama’s neighborhood. 77th and the lakefront ain’t nice.
This is near Hyde Park where the white ultra liberal U of Chicago live.
the most dangerous area of Chicago if not the country. We were told to carry
“mugger money” in case of a robbery. If not those animals, not pit bulls,
might beat the tar out of you.

Ghetto survival rules.

46 posted on 01/03/2012 1:36:16 AM PST by ChiMark (chewed up his body for a decade)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

“Lassie 90”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0_4qTACLJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YazJSfpt9do

47 posted on 01/03/2012 1:51:16 AM PST by Hillarys Gate Cult (Those who trade land for peace will end up with neither one.)

To: ChiMark
I laugh when someone tells me their pit bull is gentle and well trained.

Live And Let Die

48 posted on 01/03/2012 2:05:54 AM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: HiTech RedNeck
you know, we got a puppy 5 months ago, she's a Bavarian scenthound mix. She's very sweet, but anyway, this is not about her.

When I've walked her around Warsaw, we've met a number of dogs -- a few pitbulls, American Staffordshire terriers etc.: male and female and those pitbulls were nice and friendly to both me and my puppy.

the only dogs that tried to attack my puppy were German Shepherds -- this was surprising as I thought dogs wouldn't attack a puppy. Why aren't GSDs up on that list with pitbulls?

49 posted on 01/03/2012 2:06:47 AM PST by Cronos (Party like it's 12 20, 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: golux

aww foxies

50 posted on 01/03/2012 2:07:13 AM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Sometimes progressives find their scripture in the penumbra of sacred bathroom stall writings (Tzar))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson