Skip to comments.American Idol 2012--Live Thread
Posted on 01/18/2012 11:41:39 AM PST by silent_jonny
You’re such a jerk! And thanks for reading this!
One Last Standing Ovation: Why Joshua Ledet Came Just Shy of ‘American Idol’ Glory
Though Jessica Sanchez is certainly one of the most vocally talented contestants American Idol has seen, viewers were surprised when she took the spot in the final 2 many of us had assumed would go to Joshua Ledet. He has consistently delivered, and brought the judges to their feet more than any other contestant this season. So why was he eliminated? I have 5 guesses.
1. Over-Ovation. Joshua Ledet received over 15 standing ovations from the judges this season. That is just far too much exercise for a reality TV panel of judges devoted to one contestant. Many theorize that the over-hyping of Joshua led to his eventual demise. We don’t mind being encouraged to vote one way or another by experts, but it’s another thing entirely when a contestant is being shoved down our throats. He is amazing, yes, but the constant praise became rather grating and turned some of us against the judge favorite.
2. Relevancy. Joshua is a soul singer, and someone who can sing a lot of classics will typically do well in the competition that throws various themes and genres at the contestants week after week. But now we’re at the point in American Idol where viewers will ask themselves who will be the most relevant as a pop star or a modern artist, and Joshua wasn’t always delivering song choices that proved his ability to make it as a current artist. His more energetic, modern covers didn’t stand out the way his take on old soul hits did.
3. Audience. Joshua became my personal favorite after Skylar Laine was eliminated, but he has been a favorite of my parents for much longer. Do my parents vote? No. They either read the recaps here, or watch a recorded episode much later in the week. It’s possible that Joshua’s audience, likely an older audience who likes the aforementioned classics, isn’t a voting audience. Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez may be more accessible to the target demographic, who are the ones picking up their phones and voting online.
4. “Imagine.” Ugh, this song. It just didn’t suit Joshua, and though he managed to sneak it into the middle of the triple play program, it stood out as a sore thumb. Jimmy Iovine mentioned in his critiques that Joshua didn’t really have a moment in the Top 3 episode, and he needs one every week to stay in this. He didn’t have a moment, and Phillip certainly did. I’m not sure Jessica had a moment either, but she also didn’t choose such a crummy, over-performed song for herself.
5. Ice Cream Every Day. Joshua’s personality was a little more subdued and shy, but his performing personality was big and, at times, almost too strong. I’m going to use the old trope about having ice cream every day. People, generally, love ice cream, but parents and other annoying people are always telling us that we wouldn’t love it if we had to eat ice cream every day. We would also get very fat. Anyway, Joshua performing dramatic, gospel-y, emotionally wrought performances every week for 12 weeks in a row, could have spoiled us on him a little. At first we were like, “wow! Mint chip is the best!” But after 12 weeks we’re all, “I hate mint chip. It’s too shouty and I have to fast-forward through it.” I don’t know, it’s not my strongest theory, but maybe we soured on him at just the wrong time.
Some where are they now?
Justin Guarini Will Star in Muny Production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
The singing actor will star in The Muny’s production of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which runs July 23-29. The production will mark Guarini’s Muny debut.
“I’m thrilled to be playing the role of Joseph,” Guarini said in a statement. “Being able to do it in front of 11,000 people every night, outside and under the stars, is truly magical. I’m honored to be part of the history and tradition of The Muny.”
Justin Guarini, a contestant on the first season of the reality show “American Idol,” has been seen on Broadway in American Idiot and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Last year, he starred as Roger in Surflight’s production of Rent.
Guarini will also offer a solo concert, From American Idol to Broadway, March 2 at 8 PM at the Landmark on Main Street in Port Washington, NY. The Landmark on Main Street is located at 232 Main Street. For more information and tickets, visit www.landmarkonmainstreet.org.
American Idol’s Colton Dixon says that he was upset with Jimmy Iovine for comparing him to Phillip Phillips.
Why the Idol judges’ save won’t help Jessica win
“We were both pretty upset the way he presented it,” Dixon tells TVGuide.com. “I remember walking in and [Jimmy] said, ‘All right, let’s cut the B.S. It’s you or Phillip.’ We get that it’s a TV show, but at the same time [we were] still shocked at how far they’ll go to create some drama.”
How does American Idol’s DeAndre deal with all that hair?
In the video below, the Tennessee native shares his shock at getting eliminated after never being in the bottom three, why he didn’t like how the judges practically forced him to audition and whether or not he’ll keep his signature Mohawk-like ‘do.
I thought for sure you hadn’t read mine!
Oh I read them, I just have never before seen anyone’s posts on this forum to simultaneously contain such pomposity and ignorance.
I'm sorry I posted number 10,000. If I had known you really wanted it that bad I would have stepped away from the keyboard.
Diamond’s got nice color to it. He needs a haircut. HIs face is too long for that hair but maybe he’s on bway.
See you next year :)
Responding to your post to big and lil
Thats great news if it means you will be hosting a thread next season.
Barry out, you hosting AI thread 2013 can be a great year.....
Is the tween birth rate down? A retooling for an older audience who likes faster music and less screaming just might work..... : )
Don’t know, but can observe that tweens act like infants in some cases.
No logic for actions, just pure emotions, and no reflection on consequences of behavior.
Being in the older generation we are surprised how many of us there are that appreciate music of all styles , when we an understand it, and it’s based on
the persons ability.
Not some gyrating dancers, overblown production, or audio enhancements that make up for the lack of talent.
Have a nice break till the next season. Will be looking for your next you tube
I have 5 guesses.
Very good observations. Agree with your analysis
That was from that article, but I thought it was a pretty accurate article. The judges hurt Joshua with all that fawning over him. Best singer in 50 years? please.
Best singer in 50 years? please.
I’m convinced they don’t think about what they say.
Just blurt it out , and hope it makes sense, or sticks......
I may watch X Factor but have no idea when it starts. America's Got Talent was in St. Pete, Fl this weekend auditioning.
Maybe there are too many talent shows and not enough viewers to go around.
I hate voting but I voted for P2 cuz I can only imagine what he's really capable of when he's not in severe pain.
See you next AI.
Grazie a te, amico carissimo!!!
American Idols Phillip Phillips Sets Record, Surgery Postponed
American Idol winner Phillip Phillips single ‘Home’ reached No. 2 on the Digital Songs chart this week with 278,000 downloads. Thats the highest Idol debut ever. Phillip, 21, suffers from severe kidney stones. Phillip endured eight surgeries throughout the competition and was supposed to have another surgery last Tuesday. TMZ reports the surgery had to be postponed because Phillip was running a high fever as a result of a bad sinus infection. Phillip Phillips surgery is rescheduled for early next week.
In addition to the highest debut ever, ‘Home’ is the second highest digital sales week for an American Idol contestant, with only Kelly Clarksons ‘My Life Would Suck Without You’ ahead of Home.
Phillips single is also the fourth-largest debut of the year, trailing behind Justin Biebers ‘Boyfriend, ‘Maroons ‘Payphone,’ and Katy Perrys ‘Part of Me.’ Considering Phillip Phillips was playing Sanford and Son with his father just a few months ago, thats quite impressive compared to those big names. Bieber! Levine!
Despite the health challenges and the ‘white guy with a guitar’ stigma surrounding him, Phillips post-Idol career is off to a remarkable start.
‘American Idol’ Video: Scotty McCreery Changes His Name for Conan
June 05, 2012 08:10 AM EDT
American Idol wrapped its season, and as things head towards season twelve, the season ten winner Scotty McCreery is showing that he can poke fun at himself and he used his singing talent to do it. McCreery appeared on Conan on Monday night to help the host prove that once again - he doesn’t make mistakes.
Obviously, Conan made one when he talked about McCreery with another celebrity. The host said the singer’s name wrong, but Scotty showed that he was willing to go that extra mile to help Conan out. Since the end of season ten, Scotty has been busy balancing his normal life with his music career. He made it a point to try to be as normal as possible with everything surrounding him.
With Phillip Phillips winning season eleven last month, Scotty no longer has the spotlight of being the current American Idol winner trained on him. That should make life a little bit easier for him to handle.
This short video does show Scotty singing a song he wrote just for Conan. He definitely shows here that he has a sense of humor. Not everyone can poke fun at their own name for the world to see. The fan that sent in the mistake had a song performed by Scotty in his honor. That fan probably doesn’t mind Conan poking a little fun at him after that.
video at the link
So I’m done giving the baby a bath when I notice the TV & some series called Person of Interest is on...that X-Factor brat Astro is one of the co-stars. BARF.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO good to hear from you-—but my sympathies to your eyes and your mind for having to see ASTRO........
Hey...click on all OF THE SONG LINKS on this site and listen a bit..(each song plays for about a minute after yu click it...but you can at least read the lyrics :-).if ya like what ya hear...think about ordering a CD :-) (Yes, I am pimping!! The singer and writer is a Viet Nam vet dear friend of mine...who wrote most of the lyrics while in country years ago........the CD is really good...and Im hoping to help him get some “exposure” :-) Thanks in advance..........
American Idol Winner Phillip Phillips’ Kidney Surgery “Went Well”
American Idol winner Phillip Phillips is on the mend!
The 21-year-old singer successfully underwent kidney surgery Wednesday, his rep confirms to E! News.
“Surgery went well,” his rep says. “He’s resting and will be ready for the idol tour kickoff in July!”
Just a few weeks ago, Phillips came close to quitting the competition when his “right kidney kind of [wasn’t] functioning.”
MORE: Yes, That Was the Least-Watched American Idol Finale Forever, But...
The Idol winner told us he had “some bad days and some pretty good days” during his stint on the show. “It was rough at times, and there were a couple of times I thought about going ahead and getting the surgery done But I had a lot of great doctors and a lot of great people who helped me out through it. I’m blessed to have had that.”
We’re certainly glad Phillips is feeling better! The 45-date American Idol Live! tour kicks off July 6 in Detroit.
What an inspiration he's become. Second runner up didn't come close in the voting. She'll be fine if she cuts out all the unnecessary growling and riffing. When she sang straight, she was really good.
Did you see this?
Comatose 7 yr. old wakes up after hearing Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep”
‘American Idol’ eyeing Adam Lambert as replacement for Jennifer Lopez
I’ve seen other articles saying he would replace Randy. I don’t care who he would replace since if he becomes a judge, I won’t watch.
Looks like “ Yo Dog” will team with Mariah Carey.
Will be interesting to see who the 3rd spot is filled with.
In the meantime will watch X Factor to see if it is any better than last season
Thanks. I thought their was more to the story.
Hope we get some good replacements. Wouldn’t be sorry to see randy leave.
Yeah, Randy hasn’t brought much to the party for the last couple of years. Maybe more. I see they are also considering going with three new judges each year.
Mariah Carey is one of the new judges.
Who would you like to see in the other spot/ spts.
Nick Jonas, Pharrell Williams In Talks to Become New American Idol Judges
Crud, If its these two and Mariah, I think I’ll pass.
Is anyone out there watching X-Factor?
It looks like jonny is taking a vacation too.
I watched for about 15 mins & couldn’t take it. Not worth watching without you all!
Was it on last night? I completely forgot (not really ;)
I guess it’s official. We have new judges in Mariah Carey (quality singer), Keith Urban (quality singer), and (gag) Nicki Minaj (worse singer than Fantasia, if that’s humanly possible), along with a returning Randy Jackson (I heard he was in Journey).
Waves at Jonny!,, hi Jonny!
Why do they insist on 4 judges? Takes too long.
We set the DVR to record it then breeze thru it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.