Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Film critics pick the 50 best movies of all time
The Christian Science Monitor ^ | January 30, 2012 | Molly Driscoll

Posted on 02/04/2012 12:16:26 AM PST by iowamark

Endless lists have been made, and it's a great way to start an argument at a party. What's better, 'Chinatown' or 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'? 'The Wizard of Oz' or 'Singin' in the Rain'? Everyone's picks are different, but for their new book 'The Greatest Movies Ever,' film critics Gail Kinn and Jim Piazza selected their choices for the best 101 movies of all time. First published in 2008, this edition of the book is revised with new picks like 'Slumdog Millionaire.' Here's a sampler -- the 50 films that got the top spots on Kinn and Piazza's list.

50.'Bonnie and Clyde'

49.'2001: A Space Odyssey'

48.'Rules of the Game'

47.'Top Hat'

46.'8 1/2'

45.'The Deer Hunter'

44.'City Lights'

43.'Diner'

42.'The Lives of Others'

41.'Schindler's List'

40.'The Conformist'

39.'Blade Runner'

38.'Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb'

37.'The African Queen'

36.'The Best Years of Our Lives'

35.'Raging Bull'

34.'It's A Wonderful Life'

33.'The Graduate'

32.'It Happened One Night'

31.'Strangers on a Train'

30.'Saving Private Ryan'

29.'A Streetcar Named Desire'

28.'Funny Face'

27.'Jules and Jim'

26.'Goodfellas'

25.'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

24.'Vertigo'

23.'Pan's Labyrinth'

22.'Double Indemnity'

21.'La Dolce Vita'

20.'The Searchers'

19.'To Kill a Mockingbird'

18.'Gone with the Wind'

17.'On the Waterfront'

16.'Apocalypse Now'

15.'Taxi Driver'

14.'Psycho'

13.'All About Eve'

12.'Some Like It Hot'

11.'Nashville'

10.'Singin' In The Rain'

9.'Chinatown'

8.'Annie Hall'

7.'The Wizard of Oz'

6.'North by Northwest'

5.'Lawrence of Arabia'

4.'Sunset Boulevard'

3.'Casablanca'

2.'Citizen Kane'

1.'The Godfather' and 'The Godfather Part II'

(Excerpt) Read more at csmonitor.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Music/Entertainment; TV/Movies
KEYWORDS: movies
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-106 next last
Commentary and pictures at the link.

"The Greatest Movies Ever Revised and Up-to-Date: The Ultimate Ranked List of the 101 Best Films of All Time" by Gail Kinn, Jim Piazza

1 posted on 02/04/2012 12:16:27 AM PST by iowamark
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: iowamark
Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

That's all I have to say about their list.

2 posted on 02/04/2012 12:20:20 AM PST by Mariner (War Criminal #18)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Bonnie & Clyde?

3 posted on 02/04/2012 12:22:20 AM PST by unkus (Silence Is Consent)

Mostly good films, at least the ones I have seen, but...
Where in the world is La Strada?
4 posted on 02/04/2012 12:32:20 AM PST by ARepublicanForAllReasons (Crony Capitalism & Union boot-licking Marxist politicians are our undoing.)

citizen cane is over rated...I could add so many movies to this list and remove so many...haha

5 posted on 02/04/2012 12:35:49 AM PST by Rick_Michael ( 'REAL' Conservatives who witch hunt their own, are no better than Obama.)

No Harry Potter ?

6 posted on 02/04/2012 12:36:27 AM PST by onona (Dicky Betts is one ramblin man !)

To: Rick_Michael

And When I saw “Talladega Nights”, I found out that “Highlander” was the best movie ever !!

7 posted on 02/04/2012 12:38:24 AM PST by onona (Dicky Betts is one ramblin man !)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: unkus
Bonnie & Clyde?

It promoted and glamorized perverted sex and decadence--so, of course.....

Where is Errol Flynn's Robin Hood?

8 posted on 02/04/2012 12:43:54 AM PST by savagesusie (Right Reason According to Nature = Just LawD)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: savagesusie

It promoted and glamorized perverted sex and decadence—so, of course.....

Where is Errol Flynn’s Robin Hood?

Speaking of perverted sex and decadence...are you familiar with Errol flynn’s personal life? (:

No need to answer. I was being facetious.

9 posted on 02/04/2012 12:48:36 AM PST by unkus (Silence Is Consent)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Mariner

Kelly’s Heros..
Forbidden Planet..

10 posted on 02/04/2012 12:56:01 AM PST by hosepipe (This propaganda has been edited to include some fully orbed hyperbole...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: savagesusie
Not a bad list. Some thoughts:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a gimmick movie that does not belong on the list at all.

Annie Hall is way too high.

No westerns? High Noon, Pale Rider, and Unforgiven would be in my top 50, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence would be in my top 10.

11 posted on 02/04/2012 12:57:44 AM PST by CaptainMorgantown
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

aw, no manchurian candidate

12 posted on 02/04/2012 12:57:55 AM PST by Mount Athos (A Giant luxury mega-mansion for Gore, a Government Green EcoShack made of poo for you)

To: Mount Athos

13 posted on 02/04/2012 1:00:37 AM PST by Mount Athos (A Giant luxury mega-mansion for Gore, a Government Green EcoShack made of poo for you)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Cop out! Godfather or Godfather II as #1-— pick one!

14 posted on 02/04/2012 1:15:03 AM PST by MacMattico

Titanic (1997), The Posieden Adventure (1972), Sweet Home Alabama, The Family Man, Aliens, Pulp Fiction, The Ninth Gate, Braveheart, Highlander (1986), Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992), The Professional (1994), Backdraft, Heat, Ronin, 15 Minutes, Places in the Heart, Sweet November, Les Misérables (1998), The Hunt for Red October, The Matrix, Cold Mountain, Dead Calm, Frantic, The Game, The Fugitive, Pitch Black

15 posted on 02/04/2012 1:24:08 AM PST by faucetman ( Just the facts, ma'am, Just the facts)

#8 Annie Hall - I watched it and it was not special.

16 posted on 02/04/2012 1:28:53 AM PST by SMGFan

To: faucetman

How could I forget... East West.

17 posted on 02/04/2012 1:30:17 AM PST by faucetman ( Just the facts, ma'am, Just the facts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: faucetman

King of New York

18 posted on 02/04/2012 1:32:36 AM PST by faucetman ( Just the facts, ma'am, Just the facts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Rick_Michael
“Citizen Kane” is definitely over rated and I can never understand how “2001 A Space Odyssey” is ever on any best movies of all time lists. If it were on the worst movies of all times list I would definitely understand. Both of these films break the first rule of film making, in my opinion: Entertain people. Besides, if “Braveheart and “Gone with the Wind” aren't on a best movie list it's BS.
19 posted on 02/04/2012 1:33:34 AM PST by Barb4Bush (God bless Glenn Beck!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Barb4Bush

My mistake” Gone with the Wind” is there. Still a BS list, in my opinion, even if it got a few right.

20 posted on 02/04/2012 1:37:53 AM PST by Barb4Bush (God bless Glenn Beck!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Annie effin’ Hall???

At best it should come in around 120 or 121

21 posted on 02/04/2012 1:38:26 AM PST by Rashputin (Obama stark, raving, mad, and even his security people know it.)

When I was going through cardiac rehab I met a wonderful Polish woman who had also recently survived a heart attack. She was a young girl in 1939 when the Nazi’s invaded Poland and she wound up in a concentration camp during the Nazi occupation. She survived though she lost her entire family to the camps.

One day when we were talking she told me that the Pianist is a very good movie, very close to what many had experienced. She then looked at me and said, “Schindler’s List is shit!”

For that reason alone, I cannot put it anywhere on a “top” list.

22 posted on 02/04/2012 1:39:41 AM PST by CougarGA7 ("History is politics projected into the past" - Michael Pokrovski)

If the list is to include a Truffaut film (I thought it was English only at first), I’d go with “The 400 Blows” over “Jules and Jim”. And it’s good to see “Chinatown” increasingly recognized as one of the best of all time - I’ve always thought so.

23 posted on 02/04/2012 1:42:08 AM PST by AnotherUnixGeek

To: hosepipe

No Tombstone or Fort Apache.
I guess these movies were too lowbrow for his elite taste.

24 posted on 02/04/2012 1:44:34 AM PST by Yorlik803 (better to die on your feet than live on your knees.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: SMGFan

I would have put Young Frankenstein in there instead...

25 posted on 02/04/2012 1:53:03 AM PST by Smokin' Joe (How often God must weep at humans' folly. Stand fast. God knows what He is doing)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Smokin' Joe

The Quiet Man.

26 posted on 02/04/2012 1:55:42 AM PST by erkelly (Never underestimate the stupidity of the stupid party!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

My favorite Western didn’t make the list. My second favorite Western did.

1. Shane
2. The Searchers

27 posted on 02/04/2012 1:56:39 AM PST by FreedomForce (Dunno 2012)

To: Rashputin
>> Annie Hall is way too high. <<
>> #8 Annie Hall - I watched it and it was not special. <<<
>> Annie effin’ Hall??? <<

I'm with you guys on that. I could never understand why film critics always rate this film as one of the greatest movies of all time. It some really funny bits (my favorite being Christopher Walker as Annie Hall's suicidal brother), but as far as comedy's go I think it's average. Not only would this movie fail to make my "Top 10" list of "Greatest" films, it wouldn't even make my "Top 10" list of greatest WOODY ALLEN films. (I vastly prefer the zany over the top stuff he did in the late 60s and early 70s to the sappy romantic comedy stuff he did in the late 70s and early 80s).

Even more perplexing is the film he made two years later, Manhatten (1979) is ALSO beloved by critics and cited as a masterpiece. I find it to be insanely boring. The only good part about Manhatten is Woody Allen's character dating a 17 year old is UNINTENTIONALLY funny for those of us who viewed the movie AFTER the Soon-Yi scandal.

28 posted on 02/04/2012 1:57:26 AM PST by BillyBoy (Illegals for Perry/Gingrich 2012 : Don't be "heartless"/ Be "humane")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: CaptainMorgantown

I’ll second that!

29 posted on 02/04/2012 1:58:57 AM PST by TheWriterTX (All in now for Newt Gingrich)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Opinions are like... Well you know.

30 posted on 02/04/2012 2:01:26 AM PST by metesky (Brethren, leave us go amongst them! - Rev. Capt. Samuel Johnston Clayton - Ward Bond, The Searchers)

It is my considered opinion that Scent of a Woman is a better movie than Annie Hall. In this opinion I an unquestionably correct.
31 posted on 02/04/2012 2:12:48 AM PST by muir_redwoods (No wonder this administration favors abortion; everything they have done is an abortion)

“Close Encounters of the Third Kind”

Stupid beyond belief. Doesn’t belong on this list.

32 posted on 02/04/2012 2:13:03 AM PST by Fresh Wind ('People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook.' Richard M. Nixon)

O Brother, Where Art Thou; Midnight; The Lady Eve; Song of Bernadette

33 posted on 02/04/2012 2:14:06 AM PST by Liberty Wins (Newt --named after Isaac Newton?)

To: hosepipe
Don't forget Gary Cooper in Sgt. York
34 posted on 02/04/2012 2:14:18 AM PST by piroque ("In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: FreedomForce

#20, The Searchers

35 posted on 02/04/2012 2:15:32 AM PST by muir_redwoods (No wonder this administration favors abortion; everything they have done is an abortion)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

Gran Torino? No Eastwood movies at all? Some list.
36 posted on 02/04/2012 2:18:10 AM PST by muir_redwoods (No wonder this administration favors abortion; everything they have done is an abortion)

BS!! Not one movie with Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee or Mel Brooks! PHOOEY!

37 posted on 02/04/2012 2:21:20 AM PST by eastforker (Don't be ornery for Romney, instead Root for Newt!)

Well wait, we haven’t seen Spike Lees movie yet “BAM” about Obama starring Denzel Washington as Obama. That could be #1!! You never know!

38 posted on 02/04/2012 2:26:36 AM PST by GrandJediMasterYoda (How ironic that Ann Coulter should write a book called Treason.)

To: muir_redwoods
IMHO, Unforgiven is Eastwood's magnum opus, and should certainly have been in the top 50% of that list.
39 posted on 02/04/2012 2:28:56 AM PST by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: SMGFan

But it has New York liberals in it, so therefore that automatically qualifies it to be high up on any movie list. “Oh look, Woody Allen sneezed and the cocaine flew off the table! Oh ha ha ha such genius! Give him an Oscar!”

40 posted on 02/04/2012 2:34:36 AM PST by GrandJediMasterYoda (How ironic that Ann Coulter should write a book called Treason.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Deer Hunter? Please. Good Fellas? Taxi Driver? Raging Bull? Ok, someone's obviously a De Niro fan , but those movies don't belong on that list.

Where's Rashomon?

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World? The ensemble cast alone makes it worthy.

I'd swap Vertigo & Psycho for To Catch A Thief and Rear Window.

Like others have pointed out No Eastwood films?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly would be worthy.

41 posted on 02/04/2012 2:55:11 AM PST by csvset

To: CaptainMorgantown
No westerns? High Noon, Pale Rider, and Unforgiven would be in my top 50, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence would be in my top 10.

They didn't put The Big Country on the list either.

42 posted on 02/04/2012 3:06:34 AM PST by Dixie Yooper (Ephesians 6:11)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: FreedomForce
"My favorite Western didn’t make the list. "

Mine too!

"Come back, Shane!"...

43 posted on 02/04/2012 3:08:00 AM PST by Reo (the 4th Estate is a 5th Column)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: onona

Did they really say that in T. Nights? I have a running joke with a friend of mine about Highlander being the best movie ever (he hates it). Pretty cool if there’s a movie character out there who agrees with me, LOL.

44 posted on 02/04/2012 3:08:50 AM PST by DemforBush (Six O'clock in *Berlin*. They were having lunch in Cleveland.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I saw all these crap movies.

45 posted on 02/04/2012 3:18:58 AM PST by Berlin_Freeper (NEWT GINGRICH 2012)

To: Berlin_Freeper

Any list of top movies that doesn’t include The Shawshank Redemption is suspect, to say the least.

46 posted on 02/04/2012 3:22:34 AM PST by RightFighter (It was all for nothing.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

To: CougarGA7
Interesting about the woman that survived the concentration camps. At one of the hospitals I worked at, one of the nurse aides was also a survivor of the concentration camps and wore the tattoos to prove it...

One day someone told a polish joke at the nurse station and she was there and went ballistic.....she said how wrong it was and such jokes about ethnics (Jews) are what led to the concentration camps...first you make jokes about them, then they become less than human....

\She was a witness to how subtle treating others as less than human starts down a road that leads to Hitlers camps..By the time she was done, no one told anymore polish jokes. (my hubby was polish and always got a kick out of them. A wallet full of single dollar bills only was his polish bankroll) I still think of that when I end up with about 15 singles in my wallet. He passed on in 1990

47 posted on 02/04/2012 3:30:50 AM PST by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: Reo

mine didn’t either...Red River.....John Wayne-Montgomery Clift was also in it I think....Also The Cowboys with John Wayne both were about cattle drives...

48 posted on 02/04/2012 3:38:04 AM PST by goat granny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

Eh...it’s an okay list. I think a number of the picks are “popular” choices designed to sell the book, rather than selections based on the films’ merits. I also think these folks need to see more “foreign” films instead of just picking ones most everyone knows.

Some specific thoughts on the list:

Annie Hall - I agree with others on this thread. 8th of all time is WAY too high. I thought it was quite funny, but nowhere near top 10 or even top 50 material.

Close Encounters - I didn’t personally like this film much at all. Jaws would be a better choice here, though I wouldn’t put even that at #25.

The Graduate - Am the only one who doesn’t “get” this movie? I thought it was okay, but I have yet to see what is so special about it. Maybe it’s a generational thing?

Some that aren’t on the list, but I think probably should be:

-Alien

-Brute Force: Outstanding prison/film-noir with Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne DeCarlo, and Charles Bickford.

-M (1931 version with Peter Lorre)

-Stalag 17: Much better Billy Wilder film than Some Like it Hot, IMHO. The Apartment would work for me here, too.

-The Last Emperor

-The Third Man - Was Welles ever better than in 3rd man?

-The Wild Bunch

-Voskhozhdeniye (The Ascent). Soviet film from the mid-1970s about a couple of Soviet partisans operating in occupied Belarus. Admittedly kind of an obscure film, but easily one of the very best war movies I have ever seen. It’s up there with Das Boot and Patton for me. (Speaking of which, Patton didn’t make at least #50?)

49 posted on 02/04/2012 3:38:54 AM PST by DemforBush (Six O'clock in *Berlin*. They were having lunch in Cleveland.)

There are so many movies better than the "Godfather" series. It's a travesty of human nature to idolize the mafia the way they do.

Yes, I think "It's a Wonderful Life" is a far better movie. Even "Singin' in the Rain" is a better movie.

50 posted on 02/04/2012 3:40:41 AM PST by raybbr (People who still support Obama are either a Marxist or a moron.)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-106 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson