Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Amy's Place ... Poetry and Potpourri ... March, 2012
3-1-2012 | JustAmy; St.Louie1; MamaBear; Billie; Many Friends

Posted on 02/29/2012 10:21:16 PM PST by JustAmy

Welcome To....

'Amy's Place' welcomes all poets
and those who enjoy poetry.
'Amy's Place' is more than just about poetry.
Come in, relax, and share with fellow FReepers
your thoughts about any of the things on the *Menu*.

Enjoy! :)

Never Forget!

Bad Penny

Amy's personal guardian ~
the ever charming, lovable, huggable,

LouieWolf

Many thanks for stopping by. : )

TOPICS: Humor; Miscellaneous; Poetry; The Poetry Branch
KEYWORDS: amysplace; friends; march2012; poetry
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 251-300301-350351-400 ... 1,551-1,596 next last
To: JustAmy

Bump to the top

301 posted on 03/06/2012 8:11:19 AM PST by JustAmy (Our military men and women have my support!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 299 | View Replies]

To: jaycee

O my goodness, jaycee..I am so thankful your house was spared this time..Good luck with the insurance guy.

Sounds like you have a very busy day.(((HUGS)))

302 posted on 03/06/2012 8:14:46 AM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 298 | View Replies]

To: Billie; MEG33; jaycee; Mama_Bear; yorkie; Kitty Mittens; The Mayor; GodBlessUSA; gardengirl; ...

March 6, 2012

Graphic by Aquamarine

303 posted on 03/06/2012 8:20:06 AM PST by JustAmy (Our military men and women have my support!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 301 | View Replies]

Happy GratiTuesday, Jaycee.

I am so grateful that you were not injured and that your house was spared. Please take care of yourself.

I’m praying for you and all in harm’s way.

304 posted on 03/06/2012 8:24:42 AM PST by JustAmy (Our military men and women have my support!!)

Oh my goodness, jaycee! I hope you weren't hurt!

Etiam non princeps sed usque ad genua, Principis Pacis!

Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. (Isaiah 49:1 KJV)

305 posted on 03/06/2012 8:37:44 AM PST by ConorMacNessa (HM/2 USN, 3/5 Marines RVN 1969 - St. Michael the Archangel defend us in Battle!)

To: JustAmy; All; MEG33; yorkie; jaycee; Kitty Mittens; pollywog; left that other site; LUV W; ...
Photobucket

GratiTuesday

I cannot tell you how to be rich,
but I can tell you how to feel rich,
which is far better, let me tell you firsthand,
than being rich.
Be grateful.
It is the only totally reliable
get rich quick scheme.
-Ben Stein

Wishing You A Grateful Day!

306 posted on 03/06/2012 8:52:43 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 303 | View Replies]

To: FRiends; JustAmy; Mama_Bear; jaycee; yorkie; oldteen; The Mayor; LUV W; ConorMacNessa; ...

Happy Gratituesday To Amy's Place

Gratitude heals.
Gratitude humbles.
Gratitude opens your eyes.

307 posted on 03/06/2012 8:53:11 AM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)

Scary isn't a strong enough word.

So glad you were not hurt! Things can be replaced, people can't. Prayers for you, my friend, and all those who were/are in such danger. Please, be careful and take care of yourself!

308 posted on 03/06/2012 8:57:18 AM PST by oldteen

To: JustAmy; MEG33; Aquamarine
Just lovely!

Hopefully, Spring is on it's way and everything will soon be in bloom.

Thanks for the 'looking forward' moment! :)

309 posted on 03/06/2012 9:03:57 AM PST by oldteen

To: MEG33; jaycee; Mama_Bear; yorkie; Kitty Mittens; The Mayor; GailA; stephenjohnbanker; lonestar; ...

Happy GratiTuesday!

310 posted on 03/06/2012 9:07:08 AM PST by JustAmy (Our military men and women have my support!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 304 | View Replies]

To: Aquamarine; JustAmy
Amy and Aqua for the lovely opening
Of course I love the poem.
;o)

311 posted on 03/06/2012 9:14:05 AM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)

To: oldteen

Love this, teenie!

312 posted on 03/06/2012 9:15:09 AM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 306 | View Replies]

To: oldteen; Billie; dutchess; DollyCali; ST.LOUIE1; JustAmy; GodBlessUSA; Mrs.Nooseman; ...

"Gratitude is the memory of the heart."
~Jean Baptiste Massieu
Happy GratiTuesday!

313 posted on 03/06/2012 9:18:16 AM PST by LUV W (This space reserved for heroes............my AF son....our troops....the vets from all wars...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 306 | View Replies]

To: MEG33; ConorMacNessa; LUV W; AZamericonnie; Brad's Gramma; JustAmy; jackv; jaycee; yorkie; ...

Happy Gratituesday!

Pray that this "Super Tuesday" will go well for those who embrace conservative ideals!

ML/LTOS
(El Kabong)

314 posted on 03/06/2012 9:19:59 AM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 307 | View Replies]

To: MEG33

And a grateful one to you, M!

315 posted on 03/06/2012 9:23:53 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 307 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy
So true, Amy.

Some hard learned lessons but, none the less, real and mostly worthy lessons!

Have a wonderful day!

316 posted on 03/06/2012 9:26:50 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 310 | View Replies]

Thanks, M. :)

317 posted on 03/06/2012 9:28:37 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 312 | View Replies]

To: yorkie
I like the robin picture very much, my guess is the Robins were migrating and were a big flock, we have this severe drought going on for over a year in West Texas. So they likely were very tired and hungry. I have two huge oak trees in the back yard, and the acorns fall for about 4 months and some get stepped on and crushed of course.

Squirrels in the trees. Water . I have turtles in hibernation now that live in the back yard. So generally I keep water available on the ground.

It is tough to be any animal on its own in West Texas this year. Austin is about 250 miles away and they have ranching there and raise cattle ... most of them had to move them up to northern states or sell they for slaughter (at a loss) bad timing and not fattened.

The robins came back twice or ...a few times the next week or so, but never the whole numbers. It was indeed a privilege to see them.

318 posted on 03/06/2012 9:30:34 AM PST by geologist (The only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 286 | View Replies]

To: LUV W
Thanks, Luvvy!

So Springy and colorful. Warms the heart!

Another day off? Enjoy it!

319 posted on 03/06/2012 9:30:54 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 313 | View Replies]

To: left that other site
That is so kewl, ML!

I too hope this day goes well for the 'conservative' side!

Have a grateful day!

320 posted on 03/06/2012 9:35:26 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 314 | View Replies]

I am still feeling lousy, and so cancelled my lessons for tonight. I can watch the returns though.

321 posted on 03/06/2012 9:52:16 AM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 320 | View Replies]

It is...and I M! ;)

322 posted on 03/06/2012 9:52:29 AM PST by LUV W (This space reserved for heroes............my AF son....our troops....the vets from all wars...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 319 | View Replies]

Wow! I’d say you are one BLESSED lady! Glad you are safe, JC! (((((HUGS)))))

323 posted on 03/06/2012 10:18:38 AM PST by yorkie

To: JustAmy; All

Happy Tuesday to all!

324 posted on 03/06/2012 10:27:31 AM PST by stephenjohnbanker (God, family, country, mom, apple pie, the girl next door and a Ford F250 to pull my boat.)

To: The Mayor; All
It is through my dog Gabriel, or Annie and Roma the cats ... they inspire me by their behavior. They do not talk, yet, they can quickly show me what they want, directly.

Very persistent is first with the cats. I usually think they want to be petted or stroked, but that's not it. They want to go to where their food and beds are (garage) or play, or they want to go out to their enclosure. Never are they let them outside without them being in an latticed and chicken wire covered enclosure that is about 12 by 7 feet. They are safe, it was built for them. They go out by a window, I access it with a regular outside entrance on the end of it.

A new neighbor moved in a few years ago and she had a latticed enclosure built on the outside of her garage and laundry room, before she moved into her home. Good idea.

Gabriel is a miniature black poodle. Weights 8 1/5 lbs, and almost 6 years old, gives me joy, pleasure, and fun. Animals give us responsibility and a purpose beyond our own selfish desires.

Prayers for others are one of the best possible ways to bless others. Daily Prayers keep us humble, appreciative, grateful, needing mercy and desiring it prayerfully for others. Prayers for blessings, mercy and praise of our LORD Jesus Christ and God the Father, help us keep the perspective of our relationship and need for God ... Daily.

325 posted on 03/06/2012 10:42:49 AM PST by geologist (The only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 296 | View Replies]

Sorry to hear that. Prayers continue for you feeling ‘spunky’ real soon!

326 posted on 03/06/2012 11:47:17 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 321 | View Replies]

To: LUV W

GR8! ;)

327 posted on 03/06/2012 11:49:17 AM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 322 | View Replies]

Better “spunky” than “punky”. :-)

328 posted on 03/06/2012 1:25:27 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 326 | View Replies]

Beautiful graphic, ML..I pray with you.

I had to go as my niece was getting ready to leave and we needed to say our farewells..

She is jobless ..and needed a change of scenery..so I invited her up to use my house for headquarters while she visited my brother who has Alzheimers and could visit with her cousins in surrounding communities.
It seemed to help lift her spirits a bit...She has been doing all my grocery shopping..I feel spoiled!

329 posted on 03/06/2012 2:20:04 PM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 314 | View Replies]

I pray your niece finds meaningful employment very soon! It is a discouraging thing to be out of work.

330 posted on 03/06/2012 2:24:20 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 329 | View Replies]

It has been months now and it is taking a toll..Thank you for your prayers..She needs them.

I see you are still not well..Prayers you feel better soon.

331 posted on 03/06/2012 2:33:31 PM PST by MEG33 (O Lord, Guide Our Nation)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 330 | View Replies]

Thank You!
(((HUGS)))

332 posted on 03/06/2012 2:46:51 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 331 | View Replies]

"I am still feeling lousy"

Feel better REAL soon, ML!

333 posted on 03/06/2012 3:33:59 PM PST by yorkie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 321 | View Replies]

Fur sur!

I'd rather do ANYTHING than to be ill...especially when it's a hanger-on-er! Your resistance is quite low at this time so you need to extra careful! (((hugs)))

334 posted on 03/06/2012 3:41:47 PM PST by oldteen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 328 | View Replies]

Gotta get me one o’ those.

335 posted on 03/06/2012 3:45:43 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 333 | View Replies]

You are right about that.

336 posted on 03/06/2012 3:46:49 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 334 | View Replies]

Being jobless is a real depressing situation. I'll send a few extra prayers her way.

I know some who are in the same boat and it sure isn't pleasant to watch!

337 posted on 03/06/2012 3:47:20 PM PST by oldteen

To: left that other site; LUV W; MEG33; JustAmy; ConorMacNessa; oldteen; yorkie; everyone
Thank you all so much for
your kind words and
sweet comments! I did my voting and
went to the hairdresser!
When all was finished and I
came home and had a nice long nap!
I worked in lunch between
voting and the hairdresser!

I appreciate all of you so much!
REALLY!

338 posted on 03/06/2012 3:47:20 PM PST by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 332 | View Replies]

339 posted on 03/06/2012 4:04:48 PM PST by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 336 | View Replies]

Aw...Thanks! :-)

340 posted on 03/06/2012 4:09:33 PM PST by left that other site
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 339 | View Replies]

I hope your niece finds
a nice job soon, Meg!
A little bluebird for her!

341 posted on 03/06/2012 4:11:04 PM PST by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))

HAHAHAHAHA!

I’ve felt that bad before...LOL!

342 posted on 03/06/2012 4:12:36 PM PST by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 333 | View Replies]

To: jaycee; JustAmy; Billie; GodBlessUSA; Lady Jag; yorkie; Diver Dave; LUV W; Mama_Bear; DollyCali; ...

HAPPY TUESDAY TO AMY’S PLACE!

There is a story behind this picture:

Always known as a photographer who would take almost any chance if it meant getting the picture, Gene Smith’s good luck throughout the Pacific deserted him on May 23, 1945. While on the east coast of Okinawa photographing an essay titled "A Day in the Life of a Front Line Soldier," he was seriously wounded by a Japanese shell fragment. The missile hit him in the head cutting both cheeks, injuring his tongue and knocking out several teeth. Characteristically, he was taking pictures at the time and the fragment passed through his left hand before entering his cheek just below the eye and near the nose. His comment in the hospital later: "I forgot to duck but I got a wonderful shot of those who did... my policy of standing up when the others are down finally caught up with me."

Ernie Pyle, another great war correspondent, who was on Okinawa with Smith and was not so lucky, wrote of him, "Gene Smith is an idealist, trying to do great good with his work but it will either break him or kill him."

Smith’s war wounds cost him two painful years of hospitalization and plastic surgery. During these years he took no pictures and whether he would ever be able to return to photography was doubtful. Then one day, during his period of convalescence, Smith took a walk with his two children and even though it was still intensely painful for him to operate a camera, came back with one of the most famous photographs of all time: "A Walk to Paradise Garden." This memorable image was to serve as the final picture in the famous "Family of Man" Exhibition.

Nos genuflectitur ad non princeps sed Princeps Pacem!

Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. (Isaiah 49:1 KJV)

343 posted on 03/06/2012 5:05:48 PM PST by ConorMacNessa (HM/2 USN, 3/5 Marines RVN 1969 - St. Michael the Archangel defend us in Battle!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 342 | View Replies]

that is some nasty damage. I was out of electricity for 24 hours and its amazing how quick your back in the 1800's...I have several oil lamps for such an occasion, but no internet and no tv, I have to read by oil lamp and candle light...we are spoiled aren't we....:O)...Lots of tree's down here in Michigan and the whole little town near by was out of electricity...usually if you have traffic lights they get on it pretty quick, but downed wires are first choice..My heat in the house only dropped to 66, we have had a mild winter...its cozy again..

I hate to walk my property to find out any damage, so far from my deck its only a few parts of shingles...clearing down tree's is not easy for a 73 year old, and my electric chain saw is limited by the length of the cords..but house did fine....thank God....hope your cleaned up soon....GG

344 posted on 03/06/2012 7:03:47 PM PST by goat granny

Sweet Jaycee, I'm Thanking our Lord Over and Over that you weren't Hurt!
Praise be to His Wonderful Name, I'm So Thankful you are Safe!

(((((God Bless you, Dear FRiend!)))))

345 posted on 03/06/2012 8:53:09 PM PST by Kitty Mittens (To God Be All Excellent Praise!)

To: Jim Robinson; JustAmy; Billie; MEG33; jaycee; dutchess; GodBlessUSA; deadhead; LUV W; mathluv; ...

Freep mail me to be on or off the Daily Bread ping list

Handle With Care

March 7, 2012

We live in a society that’s overrun with warning labels. From disclaimers on pills, to “use-by” dates on soup cans, to danger signs on chain saws—warning labels draw our attention to impending hazards. Recently I received a box with a precious gift inside. The sender had attached a big red sticker to the package that said, fragile: handle with care. When I think about life and its fragility, I wonder if we shouldn’t all wear one of those red stickers.

It’s not a good idea to cruise through life thinking that we are invincible and that everything is going to be just fine—only to discover that we are far more fragile than we thought. It takes only a call from the doctor telling us that we have a life-threatening disease, or the swerve of a careless driver in front of us to remind us that life is extremely uncertain. There are no guarantees! None of us can be certain of another breath. So the psalmist has an important piece of advice . . . a warning label of sorts: “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Ps. 90:12).

Let’s choose to live as though this were our last moment on earth by loving more deeply, forgiving more readily, giving more generously, and speaking more kindly.

That’s how to handle life with care.

To run the race of life in Christ, This must become your daily goal: Confess your sins, trust God for strength, Use discipline and self-control. —Sper
Yesterday is gone; tomorrow is uncertain; today is here. Use it wisely.

Read: Psalm 90:1-12

So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. —Psalm 90:12
Bible in a Year:
Judges 1-4

346 posted on 03/07/2012 6:00:12 AM PST by The Mayor ("If you can't make them see the light, let them feel the heat" — Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 345 | View Replies]

To: The Mayor

"Yesterday is gone; tomorrow is uncertain; today is here. Use it wisely."

We all should take heed to those words every day of our lives!

Thank you for another good message today, Mr. Mayor.

347 posted on 03/07/2012 6:19:24 AM PST by jaycee ((("His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.")))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 346 | View Replies]

Amen Jaycee, Thank you.

348 posted on 03/07/2012 6:36:49 AM PST by The Mayor ("If you can't make them see the light, let them feel the heat" — Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 347 | View Replies]

To: The Mayor
” ...
That’s how to handle life with care.

To run the race of life in Christ, This must become your daily goal: Confess your sins, trust God for strength, Use discipline and self-control. —Sper

Yesterday is gone; tomorrow is uncertain; today is here. Use it wisely.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are blessed
to be a blessing
... to others.

349 posted on 03/07/2012 9:32:11 AM PST by geologist (The only answer to the troubles of this life is Jesus. A decision we all must make.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 346 | View Replies]

To: All

Good morning, All.

Looks like I will be here hit and miss for a couple of weeks. I must get started on end of year book work for both FR and myself. Time to quit pretending that 4-15 is not just around the corner. :)

Happy WarmFuzzy Wednesday!

350 posted on 03/07/2012 9:52:36 AM PST by JustAmy (Our military men and women have my support!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 349 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 251-300301-350351-400 ... 1,551-1,596 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson