Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Homer_J_Simpson

I wonder if this is the “sea otter” that they spent so much print space discussing? If so, only one was built and really never put into service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sea_Otter_II_(IX-53)

7 posted on 03/11/2012 7:20:19 AM PDT by jtonn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: jtonn
I wonder if this is the “sea otter” that they spent so much print space discussing? If so, only one was built and really never put into service.

It sounds like the same one. Draft not as shallow as advertised and a bunch of gas engines to power it. Note that only about half of Krock's column is about the Sea Otter. He also uses it as an example of the inefficient way the government processes technological developments and discusses ways to improve it. I like how the guy from the National Inventors Council is interested enough in the "very large banks of gasoline engines" to be installed in the vessels to "impress his associates at the Chrysler Company, which is willing and able to furnish the automobile engines now proposed to drive the craft."

By the way, I see that Senator Clark of Missouri has submitted a bill to combine the War and Navy Departments under a single "minister of Defense." Totally impractical. They would have to construct a whole new building large enough to accommodate all the services under one roof. The different branches would never tolerate such an arrangement.

8 posted on 03/11/2012 7:54:23 AM PDT by Homer_J_Simpson ("Every nation has the government that it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre (1753-1821))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson