Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Jets acquire Tim Tebow for draft pick
ESPN ^ | March 21, 2012 | Rich Cimini

Posted on 03/21/2012 10:12:21 AM PDT by Free ThinkerNY

click here to read article

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-88 last
To: Raider Sam

it’s been the case here. Just because they went far in the playoffs. Nothing to do with him. Run and D. This year when they tried to pass more he failed miserably.

51 posted on 03/21/2012 11:16:55 AM PDT by wiggen (The teacher card. When the racism card just won't work.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: Free ThinkerNY

As a Broncos fan, I am deeply saddened.

Guess I’ll be rooting for the Jets this season.

52 posted on 03/21/2012 11:22:17 AM PDT by hattend (Jesus wants me to make churches pay for abortions. - Barack Obama)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Hatteras

Tebow wouldn’t be the first draft pick that managemnt soured on. In Tim’s case they knew he would be a project when they signed him. Are they embarrased that he pulled the season out for them? If you can get Manning any other first string quarterback is going to have to step down. I think your analysis is wrong about ESPNs polarizing characterization. When any other quarterback has been let go, polarizing wasn’t used to describe him. Tebowing is seen as too Christ centered by many liberals, and ESPNs bias is not unknown. Journalists are after all about the most liberal bunch of people you can find without the possible exception of social workers and actors.

53 posted on 03/21/2012 11:24:47 AM PDT by dblshot (Insanity: electing the same people over and over and expecting different results.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

To: Triple

They were thinking of duming Tebow. Elway just wanted the monkey off his back. He never liked Tebow and he would have paid a team a Denver 4th round pick to get rid of Tebow.

I’m sure it is not person. He just has no confidence that Tebow will ever be a great QB.

54 posted on 03/21/2012 11:33:27 AM PDT by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (REPEAL OBAMACARE. Nothing else matters.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: detective

On paper, you are correct. But, when Tebow takes over and leads the Jets to their first Super Bowl win in 40 plus years, it will be all the more miraculous. (I can dream can’t I?)

Sparano being the new OC also makes this more workable. He ran the Wildcat in Miami very effectively. Because of this, the Jets provide more of middle ground situation for him.

With most teams, he’d pretty much have to be the starter, with an offense designed around him, or not be of much value to the team at all as a backup (though his drop back passing is improving). With the Wildcat, he can be valuable, whether or not he ends up getting the starting job.

At any rate, as a Jet fan, I am thrilled that this great, young man will be on my favorite team.

55 posted on 03/21/2012 11:34:30 AM PDT by Above My Pay Grade (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

New York is the sports media capital of the world.

Every other day a New York player is on TV. Every other day last year, Tebow was on TV.

Tebow not being a New York player, be prepared for Tebow to be on TV every single day.

The NY media is going to dissect him 6 ways from Sunday. I am going to be very sick of hearing about Tebow, and I even like the guy and wish him the best.

Here’s to knowing Manning won’t make it half way through the season, and Denver will be scrambling again for a francise QB next year. If they ask nicely, maybe we will give them Alex Smith in 2 years, when Colin Kaepernick is ready to lead the 49ers back to the Superbowl.

56 posted on 03/21/2012 11:36:27 AM PDT by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (REPEAL OBAMACARE. Nothing else matters.)

To: commish
While Sparano sucked bigtime as a head coach he is a very creative and capable coordinator and I imagine he will use Tebow in a myriad of formations.

And Belichick will destroy each and every one of them.

Heh heh heh.

57 posted on 03/21/2012 11:38:30 AM PDT by Hemingway's Ghost (Spirit of '75)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: dblshot

Polarizing is a factual word for Tebow. A lot of people hate him because he is a devout Christian.

58 posted on 03/21/2012 11:38:30 AM PDT by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (REPEAL OBAMACARE. Nothing else matters.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: VeniVidiVici

I would love to see Tebow become an elite quarterback and have the decision to dump Tebow haunt Elway for the rest of his days.

I would love to see Tebow become elite and trounce the Broncos and watch Elway squirming in the owners box knowing what he underestimated and gave away.

I’m just dreaming. Not predicting anything.

59 posted on 03/21/2012 11:41:11 AM PDT by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (REPEAL OBAMACARE. Nothing else matters.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

>>>For a 4th round draft pick?

What were the broncos thinking? Is that the best they could get?<<<

The problem with Tebow is that because of his unique skill set and questionable drop back passing skills, a team would pretty much need to commit to making him the starter and rebuilding the whole offense around him. Plus, all the media hype is a lot to deal with, for a backup QB. It is not Tebow’s fault, but I think most teams were afraid to make this committment.

The Jets have periodically run a Wildcat offense, and they recently hired Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator, who ran it extensively at Miami. Because of this, the Jets can get production out of Tebow, without necessarily making him their starter, though I hope he eventually wins the job.

60 posted on 03/21/2012 11:45:35 AM PDT by Above My Pay Grade (.)

Elway never liked Tebow (as a player) and couldn’t wait to dump him and shut the fans up calling for him as a starter.

Team dynamic had nothing to do with it. Tebow is a team player and he would have patiently sat the bench behind Manning waiting for his turn again.

This has nothing to do with Tebow. It has everything to do with Elway who would have paid another team to take Tebow off his hands.

61 posted on 03/21/2012 11:46:45 AM PDT by Freedom_Is_Not_Free (REPEAL OBAMACARE. Nothing else matters.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: Freedom_Is_Not_Free
Tebow not being a New York player, be prepared for Tebow to be on TV every single day.

You mean, just like last year? When ESPN finally stopped being The Favre Channel and transformed into The Tebow Channel? :)

62 posted on 03/21/2012 11:49:58 AM PDT by Mr. Jeeves (CTRL-GALT-DELETE)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

To: Above My Pay Grade
Tebow will be a back up quarterback on a team known for drama and infighting. The NY media who will continually try to create controversy. He will have receivers who are the most selfish and lazy in the NFL.

Look what the NY media said about Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning. The media and the fans attacked them constantly even when they were winning.

Tebow had a supportive environment in Denver. He was able to improve his game and he was appreciated by the fans when he did a good job.

63 posted on 03/21/2012 11:50:03 AM PDT by detective
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

What’s Mike Francesa’s take on this? If he’s blasting it it’s good news for the Jets.

64 posted on 03/21/2012 11:52:44 AM PDT by Fair Paul

Tebow will win over the Jets team and eventually most of the media. Halfway through the season he’ll probably have Rex sitting on one side and Antonio Cromartie on the other, in church. :)

65 posted on 03/21/2012 12:00:29 PM PDT by Above My Pay Grade (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 63 | View Replies]

The Broncos have lost their mind. Kicking Tebow to the curb was bad enough, but to trade him for a 4th round draft pick is downright insulting.

I haven't been a jets fan since the days of Joe Willie, but I'm gonna have to try harder now.

66 posted on 03/21/2012 12:02:09 PM PDT by JustaDumbBlonde (Don't wish doom on your enemies ... plan it.)

To: Above My Pay Grade
“Tebow will win over the Jets team and eventually most of the media. Halfway through the season he’ll probably have Rex sitting on one side and Antonio Cromartie on the other, in church. :)”

That will truly be proof of Divine intervention.

67 posted on 03/21/2012 12:19:12 PM PDT by detective
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

To: Fair Paul

At lunch I was listening to Francesa adamantly condemning the Jets for an “awful” move. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore. I think it’s safe to say Tebow passes the Francesa Test- if Francesa hates it, it’s a good move.

68 posted on 03/21/2012 12:21:19 PM PDT by SquarePants
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 64 | View Replies]

Wow, as if the Bills DL wasn’t sick enough, they just signed N.E. DE Mark Anderson (10 sacks last year.)

Anderson - Williams - Darius - Williams -— Now that is a DL that is going to scare the crap out of a lot of QB’s and Offensive Coordinators.

69 posted on 03/21/2012 12:43:23 PM PDT by commish (Freedom tastes sweetest to those who have fought to preserve it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

This has nothing to do with Tebow. It has everything to do with Elway who would have paid another team to take Tebow off his hands

Very true, Elway is not a very good businessman it would seem. And with the Broncos offensive line treated like a sandlot team last year in the playoffs by the Patriots defense I doubt Manning is still an active football player come December. And if that comes to pass Elway is done as an executive in pro football.

70 posted on 03/21/2012 12:52:52 PM PDT by jwalsh07
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies]

To: JustaDumbBlonde

“Kicking Tebow to the curb was bad enough, but to trade him for a 4th round draft pick is downright insulting.”

Was there a better offer on the table?

71 posted on 03/21/2012 1:03:36 PM PDT by FewsOrange
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

It ain’t over yet folks!!!!!!

***DEVELOPING*** New reports say there may be a snag in the Tebow/Jets contract — as the Broncos and Jets try to figure out how to deal with a $5-million recapture clause on Tebow’s contract...which could nullify the deal.

72 posted on 03/21/2012 1:05:06 PM PDT by My Favorite Headache (In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big. Vote Newt!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 63 | View Replies]

***DEVELOPING*** New reports say there may be a snag in the Tebow/Jets contract — as the Broncos and Jets try to figure out how to deal with a $5-million recapture clause on Tebow’s contract...which could nullify the deal.

73 posted on 03/21/2012 1:05:42 PM PDT by My Favorite Headache (In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big. Vote Newt!)

Elway never liked Tebow (as a player) and couldn’t wait to dump him and shut the fans up calling for him as a starter.

Yeah...as much as I admired Elway's talent when I lived out in Denver...it was the running game with Terrel Davis that finally got them over the top.

Aside: I used to listen to a couple old sportstalk geezers on the radio in Denver (Irv and Joe). One time before the season started Irv says to Joe "I wonder how many more training camps John's body will be able to take?"

Joes says back "I've been going up to training camp (Dove Valley) for a dozen years and the only thing I've ever seen Elway actually do was smoke cigarettes and drink Rolling Rocks".

I don't think Joe Williams got any interviews with Saint Elway ;^)
74 posted on 03/21/2012 1:28:48 PM PDT by DJlaysitup

To: DJlaysitup

It was also replacing Reeves with Shanahan that got the Broncos over the top.

75 posted on 03/21/2012 1:31:48 PM PDT by GSWarrior (Some people tell me I worry too much.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 74 | View Replies]

To: JustaDumbBlonde

It’s not Elway’s fault nobody offered any Saturday draft picks for Tebow. You take the best deal on the table, if that deal is “insulting” to the player you’re getting rid of let him take that up with his new team.

76 posted on 03/21/2012 1:34:56 PM PDT by discostu (I did it 35 minutes ago)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior
It was also replacing Reeves with Shanahan that got the Broncos over the top.

True....but I think Alex Gibbs was the real MVP of the coaching staff.
77 posted on 03/21/2012 1:37:12 PM PDT by DJlaysitup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 75 | View Replies]

To: discostu

Do professed Christians now hate Elway as much as the left hates Tebow?

78 posted on 03/21/2012 1:38:35 PM PDT by GSWarrior (Some people tell me I worry too much.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

To: GSWarrior

More, since “hatred” of Tebow is grossly over played. There’s really like 4 sports writers that hate Tebow (well Jason Whitlock might count double, but he hates everybody white), the rest point out his clear faults on the field while praising his off the field behavior and team leadership.

79 posted on 03/21/2012 1:43:14 PM PDT by discostu (I did it 35 minutes ago)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 78 | View Replies]

To: discostu

Good assessment. I agree.

80 posted on 03/21/2012 1:48:47 PM PDT by GSWarrior (Some people tell me I worry too much.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

The New York Jets are the worst place for Tebow to play. The Jets are a team with lots of internal problems, lots of selfish players and lots of poor attitude.

Tebow won't start. Sanchez is the starter. Tebow's job will be to sit on the bench and watch the drama and fights between teammates.

Tebow is being sent to heal the sick, and he'll get more media attention in NY than anywhere else. I think he would like that to spread his message. If he needs a place to stay he can room with Jeremy Lin.

81 posted on 03/21/2012 1:55:19 PM PDT by Moonman62 (The US has become a government with a country, rather than a country with a government.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Ursay and Elway: both POS.

82 posted on 03/21/2012 2:13:54 PM PDT by Banjoguy (The U.S. population are now the slaves of all taxing bodies in the country.)

To: PGR88

The Bills also added another pass rusher today as well.

Mark Anderson DE.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=405853

83 posted on 03/21/2012 2:58:32 PM PDT by Clyde5445
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Not a good move for Tebow. The Jets just want to use him to light a fire under Sanchez. Sanchez has reached the limits of his capabilities, that and he is playing scared.

The Jets will get Tebow hurt in more ways than one, don’t do it Tim. The locker room is a mess, the coach is a fat loud mouth and the fans will never accept you. Bad move all around.

84 posted on 03/21/2012 4:13:47 PM PDT by alarm rider (I took the pledge, I will never vote for another RINO, not now, not ever.)

To: commish

Thats a nice pickup. Just use him the way his 1st yr in Chicago and New England were, and you got a pressure man. With the Jets in locker room turmoil and no one wanting to play for the Dolphins, you got a shot in the division. The AFC is going to look different next year, for sure.

85 posted on 03/21/2012 5:31:19 PM PDT by Raider Sam (They're on our left, right, front, and back. They aint gettin away this time!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

For team dynamic, I meant more of a split locker room. Its bad if a segment wants the backup to start. Not that Tebow would cause problems.

86 posted on 03/21/2012 5:34:39 PM PDT by Raider Sam (They're on our left, right, front, and back. They aint gettin away this time!)

For team dynamic, I meant more of a split locker room. Its bad if a segment wants the backup to start. Not that Tebow would cause problems.

87 posted on 03/21/2012 5:34:53 PM PDT by Raider Sam (They're on our left, right, front, and back. They aint gettin away this time!)

And why would any quarterback want to play for a team where chicken shit defensive backs (Cromartie) are AFRAID to tackle a scrambling QB?

88 posted on 03/21/2012 6:24:30 PM PDT by VeniVidiVici (Democrats love direct democracy until it's time to vote on something. Then they scream for a judge)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-88 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson