Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Doomsday Preppers
American Thinker ^ | 3-27-2012 | Tom Thurlow

Posted on 03/28/2012 1:26:55 PM PDT by reformedcrat

This just has to be a sign of the times. Record deficits and oil prices rising, and it could all get worse. So the National Geographic channel has begun airing a show named Doomsday Preppers, where viewers can watch end-of-the-world types prepare for doomsday.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/doomsday_preppers_comments.html#disqus_thread#ixzz1qRem2g70

(Excerpt) Read more at americanthinker.com ...

TOPICS:
KEYWORDS: banglist; economy; goldbugs; prepperping; preppers; selfreliance; shortages; shtf; survivalping; tribulation
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-56 next last
Some of these folks seem kind of wacky, like the liberals from New England. However, preparation for hard times just makes common sense.
1 posted on 03/28/2012 1:27:01 PM PDT by reformedcrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: reformedcrat

Link to full article: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/doomsday_preppers.html

2 posted on 03/28/2012 1:28:34 PM PDT by reformedcrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I love this show . . . raises the concept of self-reliance to a whole new level.

3 posted on 03/28/2012 1:33:05 PM PDT by AtlasStalled

“...these folks seem kind of wacky...”

That is the intent of the producers of the show. They do not want to make preparedness popular.

4 posted on 03/28/2012 1:33:13 PM PDT by Monterrosa-24 (...even more American that a French bikini and a Russian AK-47.)

To: AtlasStalled

The End Of The World As We Know It: TEOTWAWaKI

That’s what I hear, anyhow ;-)

5 posted on 03/28/2012 1:38:04 PM PDT by ArmyTeach (Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain ... USS Iowa BB 61)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: ArmyTeach

Y2K is coming.

6 posted on 03/28/2012 1:39:28 PM PDT by AppyPappy (If you really want to annoy someone, point out something obvious that they are trying hard to ignore)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Monterrosa-24

I’m gonna buy one of those steel pyramid bunkers as shown on Doomsday Bunkers. Paint it camo, put it in my front yard. Nobody will notice it.

7 posted on 03/28/2012 1:40:59 PM PDT by moovova (Comments at FreeRepublic are WAY MORE interesting than the articles.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: AppyPappy

What’s coming will make even the darkest take on Y2K 10 times prefferable.

8 posted on 03/28/2012 1:42:40 PM PDT by Kartographer ("We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: moovova

Don’t trip over it when you mow.

9 posted on 03/28/2012 1:42:45 PM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working for)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

SHTF...

pronounced “shift” around my house...

10 posted on 03/28/2012 1:43:39 PM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working for)

I've watched about a dozen segments and I think that there are some good ideas. However, some of the people who are very well prepared are either not in good physical condition, have the crazy idea that everyone will hold hands, sing Kumbaya and work together, or have not considered security in the slightest. Not to mention the actual costs of some of the equipment and food on there that would bankrupt the average person. In fact, the one woman from Utah in an article I read is about to lose her house to foreclosure as all of their money went to buying food for doomsday.
11 posted on 03/28/2012 1:46:14 PM PDT by aegiscg47

To: Kartographer

Yeah, well, I hope my neighbors have prepped because I’ll need a lot of stuff.

12 posted on 03/28/2012 1:50:15 PM PDT by AppyPappy (If you really want to annoy someone, point out something obvious that they are trying hard to ignore)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

The hippies living in the missile silo was entertaining.

13 posted on 03/28/2012 1:51:38 PM PDT by Godebert (NO PERSON EXCEPT A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN!)

To: AppyPappy; Kartographer

Wow, it took 12 posts for the

“I don’t need to prep cuz I’ll just take the preps others have”

guy to show up.

14 posted on 03/28/2012 1:56:27 PM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working for)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

The people they choose to profile are entertainingly wacky, but its a serious subject. A serious earthquake or a Katrina could interrupt the supply chain for a few days or weeks. Its smart to have at least that much food in the pantry.

And however long it would take you to find another job, if you lose the one you have... you should probably have that much food in your pantry. That, and a 12 gauge in the coat closet. Do that and you’re probably all right for 90% of whatever is coming.

15 posted on 03/28/2012 2:02:01 PM PDT by marron

Let's say one HAS stored enough stuff to 'survive' a year or more after all the infrastructure essentials are gone.

The whole 'pioneer' scenario, at least for the younger among us, is doable (again) even throwing a few injuns into the mix.

But really imagine a 'life' amongst ceaseless roving bands of starving/thieving/raping/murdering zombies that would necessarily entail barbarity beyond nightmares.

What's the point ?
Seriously

I just hope to take out as many of the evil instigating bastards as possible before checking out of Dodge with the last round.

16 posted on 03/28/2012 2:02:34 PM PDT by tomkat (FU.baraq !)

If there were a total breakdown of society, how long would these preppers really last against a nearby town full of starving people?

Thats why you need a little extra, for your neighbor and any relatives that turn up on your doorstep. You aren't going to turn them away, so you may as well allow for it. And you'll need a few friends when the time comes.

17 posted on 03/28/2012 2:09:05 PM PDT by marron

To: MrB; AppyPappy

Yeah hard to believe that people who consider themselves to be conservatives to advocate robber and murder as a survival plan, but there seem to be low-lifes everywhere now days even on FR.

18 posted on 03/28/2012 2:17:25 PM PDT by Kartographer ("We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: appalachian_dweller; OldPossum; DuncanWaring; VirginiaMom; CodeToad; goosie; kalee; ...

Preppers’ PING!

19 posted on 03/28/2012 2:19:44 PM PDT by Kartographer ("We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Godebert

“The hippies living in the missile silo was entertaining.”

Yeah; that was really good. Great idea, to buy an old missile site. A fortress. Very creative for hippies. I liked how the old hippie guy doesn’t like guns — but he sure has some.

20 posted on 03/28/2012 2:21:09 PM PDT by MayflowerMadam (Don't blame me; I voted for the American.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: tomkat
Peterson's' Field Guide to Wild Edible Plants is a must.

Oh yeah, and a farm with lots of deer and a lake.

I also learned how to brew just to make friends - but you better be friendly!

21 posted on 03/28/2012 2:22:29 PM PDT by Aevery_Freeman (Typed using <FONT STYLE=SARCASM> unless otherwise noted)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Yeah hard to believe that people who consider themselves to be conservatives to advocate robber and murder as a survival plan, but there seem to be low-lifes everywhere now days even on FR.

I'm going to sell my body.

AH'M DEAD-SEXY!

22 posted on 03/28/2012 2:22:56 PM PDT by Lazamataz (Shut up and drill.)

To: MayflowerMadam

We got a chuckle out of the old hippies. When the guy said his wife was a ‘total pacifist’ my wife said “Oh good, he can throw her at the zombies and buy himself some time.”

I about wet my pants...

23 posted on 03/28/2012 2:27:24 PM PDT by Lurker (The avalanche has begun. The pebbles no longer have a vote.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

After going thru both Hurricane Katrina and Rita, not to mention a couple of smaller ones, we stay “prepped”. Wacky? Yes!!! Food, Guns, Fuel & Ammo. Don’t forget the batteries and few dozen packages of toilet paper.

24 posted on 03/28/2012 2:35:50 PM PDT by lgjhn23

To: Aevery_Freeman

Peterson’s Guides are great, and I’m already out in farmland .. but I’ll surely wish you the best and say cheers !

25 posted on 03/28/2012 2:36:09 PM PDT by tomkat (FU.baraq !)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: MrB

Anyone else still watching for the “S*** Movement” guy to show up again? He’s been quiet lately. Thank goodness.

26 posted on 03/28/2012 2:39:19 PM PDT by Ellendra ("It's astounding how often people mistake their own stupidity for a lack of fairness." --Thunt)

I’d be happy to can up some Raider Stew just for them. And maybe some Theifberry jam, too.

(Do you have any idea how many deadly poisons grow in the average backyard? Neither do the bullies.)

27 posted on 03/28/2012 2:42:29 PM PDT by Ellendra ("It's astounding how often people mistake their own stupidity for a lack of fairness." --Thunt)

To: MrB
"Wow, it took 12 posts for the...."

Ahh, AppyPappy is always a bit crotchety - this place wouldn't be the same without him.
We think maybe he's fiber deficient....

28 posted on 03/28/2012 2:57:01 PM PDT by Psalm 73 ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room".)

To: Ellendra

[ I’d be happy to can up some Raider Stew just for them. And maybe some Theifberry jam, too.

(Do you have any idea how many deadly poisons grow in the average backyard? Neither do the bullies.) ]

So you would recommend multiple food storage locations in one’s house with the regular panty filled up with some “food you are never going to eat” ?

I like that idea... “Here, take all of my food.... take it all, bye....”

Go over to their encampment a few days later and retreive the “good food”...

29 posted on 03/28/2012 2:58:37 PM PDT by GraceG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: AppyPappy

You’d be my first neighbor to die, then...

30 posted on 03/28/2012 3:04:29 PM PDT by clee1 (We use 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 2 to pull a trigger. I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

From the linked article: "... [Korean shopkeepers] didn't have a chance of holding out much longer until the National Guard showed up."

That's news to me. I don't recall even seeing them fire at the crowds. I saw them on the roofs of buildings. Were they running out of ammo?

31 posted on 03/28/2012 3:14:48 PM PDT by William Tell

To: Psalm 73; AppyPappy
Most FReeper's want to be pinged when you mention them....

FWIW-

32 posted on 03/28/2012 3:20:51 PM PDT by Osage Orange (The MSM is the most dangerous entity in the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: Osage Orange
"Most FReeper's want to be pinged when you mention them...."

Yes, I've been here long enough, and I usually do - but if I forget (or if I spell something wrong) it's good to know there are the "Manners Police" as well as the "Spelling Police" nearby.....

33 posted on 03/28/2012 3:28:14 PM PDT by Psalm 73 ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: Psalm 73
FWIW....I don't cruise the threads to do that.

But when Freepers sort of "dig" on other Freepers...in their postings, I think you ought to ping the one you punked, so to speak.

Maybe, that's not your style...but it's mine.

Whatever makes your mop flop.

34 posted on 03/28/2012 4:05:35 PM PDT by Osage Orange (The MSM is the most dangerous entity in the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

The episode with all the buried school buses was interesting but with all the 30 year old rust I’d be afraid that the roof would collapse on top of me. Also, they were going to shower when coming in from radiation fallout but were piping in fresh air???

35 posted on 03/28/2012 4:07:41 PM PDT by bgill

"Yes, I've been here long enough, and I usually do - but if I forget (or if I spell something wrong) it's good to know there are the "Manners Police" as well as the "Spelling Police" nearby..... "

Yes... You must be good mannered and polite even to those who show up to mock and make fun of you.

I often forget to be polite to the SOB's myself.

36 posted on 03/28/2012 4:15:37 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: blam; Psalm 73
Do you actually think I was mocking her...or making fun of her?

I dunno....I always thought FReeper etiquette trumped your feelings.

37 posted on 03/28/2012 4:21:16 PM PDT by Osage Orange (The MSM is the most dangerous entity in the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: Osage Orange
"Do you actually think I was mocking her...or making fun of her?"

I was talking about Appy Pappy. He's often a smart-alex punk on the Prepper threads.

He's implying he's coming to your or my house and get our stuff when TSHTF.

How irritatingly juvenile.

38 posted on 03/28/2012 4:47:00 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: Osage Orange; blam; AppyPappy
"I always thought FReeper etiquette..."

1st: FReeper etiquette? Puhleeez. (Besides, should it not be: "I have always thought"?)
2nd: Psalm73 is not a "her".
3rd: AppyPappy can take care of himself (and can dish it out with the best of 'em).
4th: Try decaf, Osage.

39 posted on 03/28/2012 4:50:04 PM PDT by Psalm 73 ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: blam; AppyPappy
Fair enough.....

I don't pay much attention to Appy Pappy, or whomever.

Thanks-

40 posted on 03/28/2012 4:57:08 PM PDT by Osage Orange (The MSM is the most dangerous entity in the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

ROFLOL!!

Yeah, Hahaha...there used to be some Freeper "rules".

Sorry, I thought you were a woman. ROFLOL!!

I like coffee...but only drink it about 3 days a week. None today or yesterday.

Love cold-brewed coffee...And that stuff you have to be careful with. You want to have a good cup of Joe...you do that.

fwiw-

41 posted on 03/28/2012 5:03:15 PM PDT by Osage Orange (The MSM is the most dangerous entity in the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: blam

Actually, one of the funniest things I have ever read on Free Republic is, “My neighbors ar stockpiling food & fuel. I am stockpiling ammo. we are going to share. When do you think I should tell them?”

Dunno who posted it, but I about peed myself laughing.

42 posted on 03/28/2012 6:34:21 PM PDT by patton (DateDiff)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: patton

That is funny.

43 posted on 03/28/2012 8:48:36 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: Ellendra

I’ve heard the prediction that the SHTF is going to be more of a shift than of a cliff drop, if you get the analogy.
We’re going to shift from a consumer driven society to an individual/family food production society.

So, I’m pronouncing “SHTF” as “shift”, to reflect what is to be the reality.

44 posted on 03/29/2012 4:58:31 AM PDT by MrB (The difference between a Humanist and a Satanist - the latter knows whom he's working for)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: clee1

“You’d be my first neighbor to die, then...”

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah right.

45 posted on 03/29/2012 5:42:22 AM PDT by AppyPappy (If you really want to annoy someone, point out something obvious that they are trying hard to ignore)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

“We think maybe he’s fiber deficient.... “

Hopefully you have stocked a lot.

And I’ll need you to dig a latrine.

46 posted on 03/29/2012 5:44:05 AM PDT by AppyPappy (If you really want to annoy someone, point out something obvious that they are trying hard to ignore)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Kart,

I don’t know how to ping everyone, but the Preppers ping list might be interested in this:

Sams Club is having a sale on their emergency foods and supplies.
Some, but not all, of the items ship free to your local Sam’s Club for pick up.

This link should get you there:

http://tinyurl.com/6qkkrhm

Their full line of emergency foods are at this link:

http://tinyurl.com/2dwtlzu

47 posted on 03/29/2012 9:59:39 AM PDT by Iron Munro (If Repub's paid as much attention to Rush Limbaugh as the Dem's do, we wouldn't be in this mess)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: appalachian_dweller; OldPossum; DuncanWaring; VirginiaMom; CodeToad; goosie; kalee; ...

Preppers’ PING! See post #47

48 posted on 03/29/2012 10:12:06 AM PDT by Kartographer ("We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

The End Of The World As We Know It: TEOTWAWaKI

When my wife refers to "TEOTWAWKI" she simply calls it, The Indian Princess.

49 posted on 03/29/2012 10:46:27 AM PDT by Bloody Sam Roberts (I will not comply. I will NEVER submit.)

To: MrB; AppyPappy; Kartographer
Wow, it took 12 posts for the
“I don’t need to prep cuz I’ll just take the preps others have”
guy to show up.

50 posted on 03/29/2012 10:52:26 AM PDT by Bloody Sam Roberts (I will not comply. I will NEVER submit.)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-56 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson