Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: mamelukesabre

I’ve had a lot of mutts in my 60+ years and loved them all. That said, unless a breed is at the height of popularity and unscrupulus breeders are filling the market, the dog specifically bred for a purpose usually fills that nitch best imo. A good many breeds have been almost ruined by breeders nowdays - german shephard and their conformation is a good example and the cattle dogs raised for the show ring who have most of their suspicion bred out, but overall, I prefer a full breed dog.

And just my opinion. As regards health, you are just betting that you will get less health problems than end up with the health problems of both breeds.

104 posted on 03/30/2012 2:44:50 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies ]

To: Duchess47

Well said.

No puppy mill runs genetic tests on heir breeding stock.

No “mutt” can guarantee health or longevity because the infinite variables in the alleles and loci are a crapshoot, at best.

Some mutts live long, healthy lives.

Just as many don’t but we’re not aware of this because nobody is keeping records to that effect, as breeders do.

111 posted on 03/30/2012 2:56:06 PM PDT by Salamander (You don't know what's going on inside of me. You don't wanna know what's running through my mind.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies ]

To: Duchess47

“As regards health, you are just betting that you will get less health problems than end up with the health problems of both breeds.”

Bears repeating.

125 posted on 03/30/2012 4:11:23 PM PDT by RedWhiteBlue (Mama tried)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson