Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Salamander

Ok

But its generally accepted that mixed breeds have fewer genetic problems and live longer than pure breeds. Why is that?

89 posted on 03/30/2012 2:10:37 PM PDT by mamelukesabre (Hello, I'm a TAGLINE virus. Please help me spread by copying me into YOUR tag line)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies ]

To: mamelukesabre

No, it’s *not* “generally accepted”, especially by those who spend much time, effort and money carefully selecting their breeding stock for quality, health and longevity.

With some crosses, you can actually amplify genetic problems into sheer lethality.

Listen to the poster who counseled you to seek a professional breeder who -knows- the entire genetic background of their breeding stock, by studying the lives/health/longevity of the generations before and by merit of carefully adjusting for genetic deficits and breeding for genetic strengths in their own lines.

“Designer dogs” are created for fast, easy profit with no thought towards the future, hence the absurdly high prices.

People who love a particular breed and seek to improve the breed with every litter put their heart, soul and reputation on the line.

This abomination is not far from me:

http://www.wvpuppy.com/

They breed “designer dogs” like rabbits and once you buy the dog, the eventual problems are *all* yours, unlike most reputable breeders who offer some kind of health guarantee.

96 posted on 03/30/2012 2:26:56 PM PDT by Salamander (You don't know what's going on inside of me. You don't wanna know what's running through my mind)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 89 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson