Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I held a gun for the first time!
4/4/2012 | POWERSBOOTHEFAN

Posted on 04/04/2012 8:46:47 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN

I was visiting a friend who owns two guns and I held his Baretta. I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't.

What is the proper stance when firing a gun? I know how to hold one correctly.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat
KEYWORDS: banglist; gunsgun
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-91 last
To: POWERSBOOTHEFAN

Just do not do like the fellow in the picture of 22nd post.

51 posted on 04/04/2012 9:20:45 PM PDT by Republican1795.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

I picked up a used Taurus copy with 2 mags for $250

52 posted on 04/04/2012 9:21:31 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

You can get one at Bud’s Gun Shop for less than $600.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/52/products_id/39954/Handguns/Beretta/Beretta%2092FS%209mm%2015RD%20BL%20*ITALY*/

53 posted on 04/04/2012 9:21:35 PM PDT by RandallFlagg (Look for the union label, then buy elsewhere.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

OK then. I think I'm getting the picture...

54 posted on 04/04/2012 9:23:49 PM PDT by smokingfrog ( sleep with one eye open (<o> ---)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: mamelukesabre

Well, the Beretta shoots straight.
But I just got a Kahr CW45 -smallest pistol I’ve ever fired.
Still need more practice. Not used to it yet.
(My other pistols are a Springfield XDM 45 4.5” Bitone and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44.)

55 posted on 04/04/2012 9:24:56 PM PDT by RandallFlagg (Look for the union label, then buy elsewhere.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

Never had a gun in my life before Hussein, now I have six since I started last year and that will continue to increase.

56 posted on 04/04/2012 9:31:49 PM PDT by grumpygresh (Democrats delenda est; zero sera dans l'enfer bientot.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: POWERSBOOTHEFAN; mylife

If you have trouble racking the slide (pulling back the spring-loaded thing on top that moves in order to chamber a round) on the bigger guns, but still like Beretta’s, check out the Beretta Tomcat.
You can flip up the barrel, drop in a .32 caliber Winchester silvertip then snap it shut, ready to go. Mine’s very accurate, low recoil, like my Bofors.
Or ask mylife to tell you about the small but wonderful, larger caliber Ruger LC9.
(But don’t raise the subject of `striker-fired’ pistols.)

57 posted on 04/04/2012 9:32:57 PM PDT by tumblindice (our new, happy lives)

To: smokingfrog

I don’t look QUITE like that,LOL.

I figured that would be the correct stance.

58 posted on 04/04/2012 9:36:22 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN (I love you,Pumpkin. You are the best cat in the world. You're my Sweet Pea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

Never under estimate your enemy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqwF_Y9S5Q&feature=related

59 posted on 04/04/2012 9:38:25 PM PDT by bramps (Newt is the one)

To: tumblindice

I dont have issues with slides.
Im a guy.
I will say this about the Baretta 92.
Women have no trouble with them.

I am very happy with the LC9

60 posted on 04/04/2012 9:39:18 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

What is the proper stance when firing a gun? I know how to hold one correctly.

You extend your arm, turn the gun sideways, and fire....... Or watch Tombstone, Powers Boothe's best movie. (/joking)

Seriously, I recommend taking a concealed carry class, even if you don't plan to carry. There's a couple of different stances. I usually use something similar to a Weaver stance, although my dominate arm isn't as extended.

61 posted on 04/04/2012 9:39:45 PM PDT by Darren McCarty (Time for brokered convention)

“Welcome to the Party Pal”!

62 posted on 04/04/2012 9:43:02 PM PDT by crazydad

Be careful that you don’t end up like A. Weiner.

63 posted on 04/04/2012 9:43:58 PM PDT by Paladin2

To: mylife

Hey there I gots me one of them....

64 posted on 04/04/2012 9:45:57 PM PDT by crazydad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: crazydad

Its a fine design.

65 posted on 04/04/2012 9:55:27 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 64 | View Replies]

Doesn’t matter where you are. The first rule of gun safety is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS treat a gun like it is loaded even if it clearly isn’t.

That means you don’t wave the gun around as you are talking or point it anybody in general. Point it away, up or down from everyone else. Even when cleaning it!

You always keep your finger off the trigger until you are committed to firing it. And before you fire it you should have a good idea of where it will go if you miss or it over-penetrates.

Once you get that rule down and in your head and practice it consciously all of the other gun safety rules will be a piece of cake!

Have fun and stay safe!

66 posted on 04/04/2012 9:59:04 PM PDT by Jack Hydrazine (It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: smokingfrog
I love the first half of that movie.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun....."

67 posted on 04/04/2012 10:01:22 PM PDT by Darren McCarty (Time for brokered convention)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Jack Hydrazine

I know to be extremely careful. There is no way I would ever take a chance.

68 posted on 04/04/2012 10:13:17 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN (I love you,Pumpkin. You are the best cat in the world. You're my Sweet Pea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: bramps
That's a great scene. I had never even heard of that movie but now I want to see it. Here's a vid of Cruise training for it.

Collateral Tom Cruise training 4:26

69 posted on 04/04/2012 10:15:35 PM PDT by TigersEye (Life is about choices. Your choices. Make good ones.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies]

Please go take a series of classes and learn from an NRA-Certified Instructor, BEFORE you hurt anyone including yourself.

70 posted on 04/04/2012 10:18:13 PM PDT by Adams (Fight on!)

"I was visiting a friend who owns two guns and I held his Baretta. I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't."

"I didn’t fire it. It wasn’t loaded. I just held it to see what it would be like."

I would really like to help out, really I would, but your posts were so 'loaded' I'm afraid it would only get me banned. ;-)

71 posted on 04/04/2012 10:19:12 PM PDT by IYellAtMyTV (Je t'aime, faire du bruit comme le cochon.)

Take a class, become familiar with what you have.....

And when your ready....

72 posted on 04/04/2012 11:16:21 PM PDT by SERE_DOC ( “The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” Tho)

To: SERE_DOC

It’s gonna be a while before I’m ready for that! A LONG while!

73 posted on 04/04/2012 11:21:11 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN (I love you,Pumpkin. You are the best cat in the world. You're my Sweet Pea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies]

To: mylife
Taurus 92's are almost as good as Berettas, and are more reasonably priced. Beretta made handguns for the Brazilian army in Brazil. After the contract was done, Beretta sold the factory to Taurus. Same tooling and everything.

CC

74 posted on 04/04/2012 11:30:47 PM PDT by Celtic Conservative (Q: how did you find America? A: turn left at Greenland)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

To: ottbmare; POWERSBOOTHEFAN

That’s JPFO... Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership

http://jpfo.org/

75 posted on 04/05/2012 12:06:01 AM PDT by deks ("...the battle of our time is the battle of liberty against the overreach of the federal government")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

for later...

76 posted on 04/05/2012 12:10:59 AM PDT by JDoutrider

The Baretta is a, "gateway" gun. Soon you'll be wanting to hold a Barrett!
77 posted on 04/05/2012 2:12:13 AM PDT by outofsalt ("If History teaches us anything it's that history rarely teaches us anything")

All right, all right - you may hold my gun. Just be sure to squeeze it, don’t yank it.

78 posted on 04/05/2012 5:31:03 AM PDT by Jack Hammer

To: TigersEye

It’s a great movie. Very under appreciated, including the performance by Tom Cruise. He’s quite an interesting, very lethal character. Vincent.

79 posted on 04/05/2012 6:20:54 AM PDT by bramps (Newt is the one)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]

To: tumblindice

lol...I see someone’s been watching “Sons of Guns”...

80 posted on 04/05/2012 6:29:10 AM PDT by Future Snake Eater (If we had a President, he'd look like Newt.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

I held his Baretta

Lets keep this g rated ok?

81 posted on 04/05/2012 6:35:32 AM PDT by central_va ( I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a damn.)

Put a comma between them.

82 posted on 04/05/2012 8:25:58 AM PDT by EdReform (Oath Keepers - Guardians of the Republic - Honor your oath - Join us: www.oathkeepers.org)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Find an NRA instructor and take the FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation course: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

83 posted on 04/05/2012 8:31:23 AM PDT by EdReform (Oath Keepers - Guardians of the Republic - Honor your oath - Join us: www.oathkeepers.org)

To: EdReform

Alternate NRA link: http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

84 posted on 04/05/2012 8:42:58 AM PDT by EdReform (Oath Keepers - Guardians of the Republic - Honor your oath - Join us: www.oathkeepers.org)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

As a female, I can tell you that I, too, used to be afraid to be around guns. That was only because I didn't know how to handle them.

Took a training class (contemplating taking another one at Front Sight in Nevada) and now I own a Springfield 1911 and a Rugger .40 cal. We won't talk about what my husband owns....would take too long :)

What I really want is a Kel Tec. I have back problems and want a lightweight rifle and I like the folding stock. Everyone will say I'm nuts, though!

Enjoy! Have a blast! LOL

85 posted on 04/05/2012 8:55:18 AM PDT by CAluvdubya

To: RandallFlagg
I’ve had mine for almost 20 years, and she still shoots straight as an arrow.

Why would that gun not shoot straight at any time? What could happen to that gun to cause it not to shoot straight? I think you really mean that after 20 years RandallFlag can still shoot straight.

I have one just like it and I had not fired a gun in 40 years until I went to the range recently with the Baretta 9mm. No matter where I aimed the bullet went straight. That doesn't mean I hit what I wanted to hit but the bullet went straight. The aim may be off but the bullet still goes straight down and out the barrel.

86 posted on 04/05/2012 1:18:26 PM PDT by Mind-numbed Robot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

I watched another scene where he goes through a bar cutting down bad guys left and right. Exciting! I’ll give Cruise his due after watching the video of him training for the part. He went the whole nine yards to get it right.

87 posted on 04/05/2012 1:26:01 PM PDT by TigersEye (Life is about choices. Your choices. Make good ones.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

To: Mind-numbed Robot
I think you really mean that after 20 years RandallFlagg can still shoot straight.

You got it.
Still having issues with the Kahr CW45 I just bought a month ago. But, it's the smallest pistol I've ever owned. Just gotta get used to it, I guess.
88 posted on 04/05/2012 1:35:38 PM PDT by RandallFlagg (Look for the union label, then buy elsewhere.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

To: TigersEye

I believe the entire movie is watchable via youtube in 15 minute parts. But because of a great soundtrack and direction that makes you feel like you’re right in L.A. as the night unfolds, I strongly recommend somehow getting the dvd and watching it on a quality tv. It’s easy to watch and appreciate more than once.

89 posted on 04/05/2012 9:22:30 PM PDT by bramps (Newt is the one)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

Thanks! I would be just as well of watching it on my ‘puter. It has a bigger screen than my TV. I haven’t really adjusted to the 21st Century yet. lol

90 posted on 04/05/2012 9:33:58 PM PDT by TigersEye (Life is about choices. Your choices. Make good ones.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 89 | View Replies]

To: central_va

Get your mind out of the gutter!

91 posted on 04/06/2012 5:04:24 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN (I love you,Pumpkin. You are the best cat in the world. You're my Sweet Pea.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-91 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson