General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Montanabound

I was living and working on Anna Maria key back then

Quaint

skyway jacks

Cortez....overrun with square groupers...lol

Yep....,that was a wild time

Took my family down last summer to relive it and st pete beach from passa grille to Clearwater was over developed ...even The Don was different

All so tacky and crowded with midwesterners

We spent one night at the Don annex...a joke...and cancelled

Went to Sanibel and rented a little 50s style pastel cottage and had a great time

My wife took a xanax bar to get over the bridge

Of course i had to make it worse slowing down and clowning

Saw a good friend that trip too in NoFla....

Man....how crowded 75 is nowadays

When i was a boy you took US hwys 19 27 41 or 31 into Coppertone nation 98 90

21 posted on 04/12/2012 10:55:39 PM PDT by wardaddy (I am a social conservative. My political party left me(again). They can go to hell in a bucket.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies ]

To: wardaddy

We used to drive to Ft. Myers to visit family at least once a year. My mother had a Pontiac station wagon, and I loved to sit in the very back and to bury myself under the back seat, folding it down on top of me like it was a coffin. Heh. Anywho, I remember the first time we drove over that bridge after the accident. My mother, who was very big on driving all the way from Jackson to Ft. Myers without stopping to sleep, made it to that bridge and made my teenaged brother drive over it. She rarely to never allowed anyone else to drive her. But she did this one time. I buried myself in the back and prayed. It was the middle of the night and foggy just as I imagined it to be when the accident occurred.

We drove over the remaining bridge other times, and I have been afraid of bridges ever since. When my mother and I made the long drive to Ft. Myers in later years, we would take 75 in order to avoid the bridge and the zillion stoplights between st. Pete and Ft. Myers. I will never forget the drop off at the top of that bridge. I will have nightmares now after reading and responding to this thread. I did drive over that bridge alone one time when I was on Christmas vacation from Bama one year. It was very late, and I prayed the whole way over. Lol. Obviously, I made it.

Hubby makes fun of me for my bridge phobia. We went to Mackinaw several times, and that bridge is no fun when the wind is 35 to 54 mph gusting. We had to drive over at 10 or 15 mph. /shiver

25 posted on 04/12/2012 11:15:26 PM PDT by petitfour
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies ]

To: wardaddy

I went back to visit my parents with my little boys about 20 years ago and decided to take them to my favorite beach on Pass-a-Grille. Turned out it was now a gay hangout! I had to take them to Madeira after that. My parents have since died and I haven’t been back in many years - too depressing. I have pictures of strings of fish my dad and his buddy caught in the 50s or 60s, when the fishing was awesome.

51 posted on 04/13/2012 7:16:51 AM PDT by Montanabound
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson