Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Stocks: Worst week of the year, S&P 500 sinks 2%
CNNMoney ^ | 4/13/2012 | Hibah Yousuf

Posted on 04/13/2012 2:00:51 PM PDT by Signalman

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- U.S. stocks stumbled Friday, following a two-day rally, closing lower for a second straight week with worst declines of the year.

The Dow tumbled 1.6%, while the S&P 500 sank 2% and the Nasdaq lost 2.3%.

At the start of the week,stocks were driven sharply lower by the ugly March jobs report and fresh worries about Europe's debt crisis. They rebounded a bit toward the middle of the week, but fell sharply again Friday as a slowdown in China's economy overshadowed a batch of better-than-expected earnings results.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) dropped 137 points, or 1.1%, on Friday, while the S&P 500 (SPX) shed 17 points, or 1.3%, and Nasdaq (COMP) lost 44 points, or 1.5%.

The Chinese economy grew at an annual pace of 8.1% in the first quarter, the country's National Bureau of Statistics said Friday, marking a deceleration from an 8.9% growth rate in the prior quarter.

Fears are looming among many investors about a slowdown in China following years of breakneck growth, and what some believe is an inflating property bubble. Others, however, are more optimistic; the World Bank predicts the Chinese economy will slow to a 8.2% growth rate this year but rebound to 8.6% in 2013.

(Excerpt) Read more at money.cnn.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy
KEYWORDS: stocks

1 posted on 04/13/2012 2:00:59 PM PDT by Signalman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Signalman

For once I did good with stocks - moved everything out of my S&P 500 index fund about two weeks ago.

2 posted on 04/13/2012 2:18:56 PM PDT by dainbramaged (OMG - Obama Must Go)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: dainbramaged

The obligatory blame “it’s George Bush fault”

3 posted on 04/13/2012 2:45:47 PM PDT by Psycho_Runner (I never voted for change, I prefer folding money.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: dainbramaged

I moved my TSP and my IRAs into money market equivalants a couple weeks ago. They won’t grow for now, but they also didn’t lose a penny when the market crested the hill and headed down. Folks thought I was nuts, but I can’t afford to take a third hit and wait for it to crawl back up. I wonder why guys like me lose the full value of the drop, but lag way behind the recoery...

4 posted on 04/13/2012 4:10:09 PM PDT by trebb ("If a man will not work, he should not eat" From 2 Thes 3)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Signalman

Without more and more QE, deflation comes back to the front as debt soaks up all the extra money. Then with banks and big business holding on to cash, this will come back to bite them as more dollars laying around means there are worth less.

Government debt grows and big banks have to load up on low interest debt while electronic credits entered on the books looks good but doesn’t cover the falling value of the US dollar (sometimes called inflation).

The stock market needs another ‘fix’ of QE or down she goes which is not likely to happen in an election year (that is, will not be allowed to crash).

And without the world economy picking up, it will be hard for major companies to hand out dividends so more investors will sit on the sidelines waiting. Waiting for what, I don’t know.

5 posted on 04/13/2012 4:10:16 PM PDT by Razzz42
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson