Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: afraidfortherepublic
The worst band I ever heard at the UC Memorial stadium was in 2000 at the Stanford/UC game. The Stanford Cardinals were simply disgusting. Instead of uniforms, they dressed in costumes according to what they wanted to be. A bunch of them were dressed like doctors in scrubs and they were chasing “nurses” in very short skirts all over the field. There even was one student dressed like a tree. There was no organization, no discipline, and very bad music. Thumbs down on Stanford! (Of course I would have said that anyway.)

I'm a USC fan, and having attended most home games and quite a few away games since 1973, I'm quite familiar with the Stanford band. They used to have a pretty good repertoire, including March Grandioso and The New Colonial March, which they used as their theme song. However, today, they use All Right, Now, a rock tune. And they don't do a good job at playing anything.

The Trojan Marching Band often tries to insult the Stanford band during halftime, especially when we play them in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. On one occasion, the Trojan musicians re-enacted The Play, the final play of the 1982 Big Game in which Cal returned a Stanford kick for the winning touchdown, running through the Stanford band that stood in front of the end zone, thinking the game was over. Our bandsmen dressed in authentic Stanford and Cal uniforms, while others dressed as the Stanford band and stood in front of the endzone. And their re-enactment of The Play was perfect.

Ooh, was the real Stanford band mad! When they saw what our guys were doing, they rushed onto the field, and I thought they might attack the USC band, but they apparently thought better of it--after all, they were outnumbered about 2:1--and merely scampered across the field.

13 posted on 05/03/2012 2:44:00 PM PDT by Fiji Hill (Deo Vindice!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies ]

To: Fiji Hill

Oh, I just LOVE it! That play where the Stanford Band lost the game to the Golden Bears is just a classic. For a short while my husband and I belonged to a UC Alumni Assn. in Houston, TX. They used to play a video of that play at every meeting. Of course it was a winner every time. We live in Wisconsin now, so no videos. Thank you, thank you USC for re-creating a memorable moment.

Back to Stanford. They are just copying the Rice University Marching Owl Band (the MOB) with their sassy performances. Because Rice considers themselves above all that rah, rah junk, their band has no uniforms and people just show up to play — very disorganized.

One game back in the 1970s, members of the MOB cheer squad dared to step on some sacrosanct section of the field at the College Station stadium when they were playing Texas A & M. THey have a tradition of their cadets standing at attention throughhout the whole game. The Rice cheer leader put his foot down in the wrong place and one of the A & M ROTC cadets pulled his ceremonial sword and held the poor kid at sword point until the authorities called a halt. It was pretty funny.

I’ve forgotten what the penalty was, but it was a big one. Texans argued about that for years.

14 posted on 05/03/2012 3:23:10 PM PDT by afraidfortherepublic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson