Skip to comments.New Jersey Man Recovering After Eating Metallic Bristle From Grill Brush
Posted on 05/21/2012 11:56:44 AM PDT by Free ThinkerNY
RIVER EDGE, N.J. (CBSNewYork) Think twice before you put the metal to the barbeque this grilling season.
A New Jersey mans brush with death last week was apparently due to a grilling tool.
Michael DeStafan went to Hackensack University Medical Center thinking he had appendicitis after experiencing excruciating pain in his stomach.
Doctors conducted tests and found a 1 ½-inch-long metallic object had pierced the 54-year-olds large intestine.
Doctors thought he had swallowed a nail, fish hook or paper.
(Excerpt) Read more at newyork.cbslocal.com ...
Time for a class-action suit against grill-brush makers.
He could call John Edwards, but he is busy at the moment.
I'll bet Mr. Grill King smarted off to the missus and she rammed the brush up his a$$.
Just a sturdy toothpick for after the hot dogs.
I was once eating dinner at a well-known chain restaurant when I found a piece of coiled metal in my food. The restaurant admitted that it was from the grill bush and gave me a new meal for free. My thought at the time was that if I had swallowed this piece of metal, which could easily have happened, it would very likely have put me in the hospital. Apparently I was right and maybe there is a general problem with these brushes.
If there’s a piece of metal from the brush left on the grill, wouldn’t that mean that the grill was not rinsed well after being scrubbed?
Even a paint brush looses its bristles after a few uses.
Maybe the author meant "paper clip".
Apparently these brushes have lots of metal coils and the problem is not so much that the coils will fall out but that pieces can break off. It is the restaurants job to make sure that these pieces don’t remain on the grill. I would imagine that in a busy restaurant these brushes are sometimes used on part of the grill while cooking is still going on nearby, but I don’t know for sure about that. Since the brushes will probably be involved in millions of grill cleanings, and there is a chance that people can be injured, the brush company should at least make it less likely that these pieces can come off.
Mikey, this is just one of the reasons why we chew our food.
Of course there is an alternative if chewing is too much work.
years ago, actor George Peppard appeared on The Tonight Show and told the story of how a toothpick nearly did him in in this manner.
is this man a hoover vaccum? i would think that while chewing one would discover a 1.5 inch metal wire in their mouth! good grief....
I almost did the same thing. I guess I didn’t clean the grill good enough and a single metal bristle got stuck in my tongue. I didn’t realize how lucky I was.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.