Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

New Jersey Man Recovering After Eating Metallic Bristle From Grill Brush
CBS New York ^ | May 21, 2012

Posted on 05/21/2012 11:56:44 AM PDT by Free ThinkerNY

RIVER EDGE, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Think twice before you put the metal to the barbeque this grilling season.

A New Jersey man’s brush with death last week was apparently due to a grilling tool.

Michael DeStafan went to Hackensack University Medical Center thinking he had appendicitis after experiencing excruciating pain in his stomach.

Doctors conducted tests and found a 1 ½-inch-long metallic object had pierced the 54-year-old’s large intestine.

Doctors thought he had swallowed a nail, fish hook or paper.

(Excerpt) Read more at newyork.cbslocal.com ...

TOPICS: Weird Stuff
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 05/21/2012 11:56:52 AM PDT by Free ThinkerNY
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Free ThinkerNY

Jersey.

2 posted on 05/21/2012 11:57:44 AM PDT by Revolting cat! (Let us prey!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Time for a class-action suit against grill-brush makers.

He could call John Edwards, but he is busy at the moment.

3 posted on 05/21/2012 11:59:12 AM PDT by PGR88

That's his story and he's sticking with it.

I'll bet Mr. Grill King smarted off to the missus and she rammed the brush up his a$$.

4 posted on 05/21/2012 12:02:02 PM PDT by paddles ("The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." Tacitus)

paper??

5 posted on 05/21/2012 12:13:54 PM PDT by 1_Rain_Drop

Just a sturdy toothpick for after the hot dogs.

6 posted on 05/21/2012 12:14:41 PM PDT by jmax (Be warned....I'm armed. Round is chambered, full magazine is inserted, safety is off.)

I was once eating dinner at a well-known chain restaurant when I found a piece of coiled metal in my food. The restaurant admitted that it was from the grill bush and gave me a new meal for free. My thought at the time was that if I had swallowed this piece of metal, which could easily have happened, it would very likely have put me in the hospital. Apparently I was right and maybe there is a general problem with these brushes.

7 posted on 05/21/2012 12:18:01 PM PDT by wideminded

To: wideminded

If there’s a piece of metal from the brush left on the grill, wouldn’t that mean that the grill was not rinsed well after being scrubbed?

Even a paint brush looses its bristles after a few uses.
Everything sheds.

8 posted on 05/21/2012 12:21:52 PM PDT by 1_Rain_Drop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: 1_Rain_Drop
paper??

Maybe the author meant "paper clip".

9 posted on 05/21/2012 12:24:03 PM PDT by KarlInOhio (You only have three billion heartbeats in a lifetime.How many does the government claim as its own?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: 1_Rain_Drop

Apparently these brushes have lots of metal coils and the problem is not so much that the coils will fall out but that pieces can break off. It is the restaurants job to make sure that these pieces don’t remain on the grill. I would imagine that in a busy restaurant these brushes are sometimes used on part of the grill while cooking is still going on nearby, but I don’t know for sure about that. Since the brushes will probably be involved in millions of grill cleanings, and there is a chance that people can be injured, the brush company should at least make it less likely that these pieces can come off.

10 posted on 05/21/2012 12:43:50 PM PDT by wideminded
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Mikey, this is just one of the reasons why we chew our food.

Of course there is an alternative if chewing is too much work.

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solutions_Pages/cowmags.html

11 posted on 05/21/2012 12:45:31 PM PDT by Dr.Zoidberg (With (R)epublicans like these, who needs (D)emocrats?)

To: jmax

years ago, actor George Peppard appeared on The Tonight Show and told the story of how a toothpick nearly did him in in this manner.

12 posted on 05/21/2012 12:56:55 PM PDT by Buckeye McFrog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

is this man a hoover vaccum? i would think that while chewing one would discover a 1.5 inch metal wire in their mouth! good grief....

13 posted on 05/21/2012 1:29:00 PM PDT by Shamrock498

I almost did the same thing. I guess I didn’t clean the grill good enough and a single metal bristle got stuck in my tongue. I didn’t realize how lucky I was.

14 posted on 05/21/2012 1:33:09 PM PDT by stevio (God, guns, guts.)

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson