Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

LA beating victim Rodney King dead at 47 after life of crime, drug abuse
The Daily Caller ^ | 06/17/2012 | Gregg Re

Posted on 06/17/2012 5:10:44 PM PDT by CaptainKrunch

Rodney King, whose videotaped 1991 beating at the hands of Los Angeles police officers after a high-speed chase attracted international attention, has been found dead in a swimming pool at his home.

King’s fiancé, Cynthia Kelley, reportedly told friends that he had been drinking all day Saturday, and at one point smoked marijuana. She said that she awoke around 2 a.m. to the sounds of a naked King beating on the glass.

Kelley, a juror who helped decide King’s civil lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles, said she then went to grab the phone when she heard a giant splash from the pool. Paramedics were called to the scene, but could not revive King.

Keep reading...

TOPICS:
KEYWORDS: crime; onemoretime
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-69 next last
I am deeply saddened.

Say, was it not King who threw the first punch at the cops?  That's the information I came upon.  Me personally, I expect that if I.. me.. a white man... punched a cop, I would expect to get my skull stove in by those cops.  And I would figure I had it coming after I woke up in the hospital.  Knowing that I attacked them first of course.

And let's bring up Trayvon.  From what I understand, it was Zimmerman who was first attacked by Trayvon.  Zimmerman was moving back towards his vehicle AWAY from Tryavon and Tryavon followed him.  That does not constituted "stand your ground" (according to Trayvon's defenders) as I understand it.  At that point, Trayvon had become the pursuer, pursuing Zimmerman as Zimmerman was moving away from Trayvon.  You can't be standing your ground if you're the pursuer.  So that was a righteous capping in my mind.

1 posted on 06/17/2012 5:10:55 PM PDT by CaptainKrunch
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: CaptainKrunch

They can call him Rotney from now on.
I’ll bet there is more to this story.

2 posted on 06/17/2012 5:13:40 PM PDT by tet68 ( " We would not die in that man's company, that fears his fellowship to die with us...." Henry V.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

He’s swimming with Whitney now.

3 posted on 06/17/2012 5:14:47 PM PDT by tet68 ( " We would not die in that man's company, that fears his fellowship to die with us...." Henry V.)

Good riddance to bad rubbish.....
4 posted on 06/17/2012 5:16:00 PM PDT by Feckless (I was trained by the US << This Tagline Censored by FR >> ain't that irOnic?)

I’m sure drugs had nothing to do with the demise of this great upstanding hardworking man.
/sarcasm tag for those who doubted.

5 posted on 06/17/2012 5:19:37 PM PDT by rdl6989 (January 20, 2013 The end of an error.)

Say what you want about Rodney King (all probably true) but the cops went overboard on that beatdown.

6 posted on 06/17/2012 5:22:31 PM PDT by Tea Party Terrorist (they all stink)

To: rdl6989

Time to cast a bronze statute in high respect to this American hero.

7 posted on 06/17/2012 5:23:10 PM PDT by rovenstinez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: rdl6989

The MSM says he’s just 47. I could have believed he was 71 given the obvious weathering. So, what was he doing? Drugs!

8 posted on 06/17/2012 5:24:40 PM PDT by muawiyah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

“”Kelley, a juror who helped decide King’s civil lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles”””

It seems the jury system is breaking down. Here is a woman who votes in favor of Rodney King and then teams up with him to share the wealth.

Obama will be awarding Kelley a Medal of Honor for her cunning Redistribution of Wealth.

9 posted on 06/17/2012 5:26:00 PM PDT by Presbyterian Reporter

To: rovenstinez
"Time to cast a bronze statute in high respect to this American hero."

Heck, let's name a warship after him.

10 posted on 06/17/2012 5:26:12 PM PDT by CaptainKrunch (Freedom is what's fair.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

My husband said that Rodney King had become a Christian. The last interview with him looked like it was set at Ontario (CA) airport - about 2 months ago - I thought it was actually very sweet. It’s up with the news/ watch it.

11 posted on 06/17/2012 5:26:34 PM PDT by bboop (Without justice, what else is the State but a great band of robbers? St. Augustine)

I hope he knew Jesus!

12 posted on 06/17/2012 5:29:10 PM PDT by ForAmerica (Texas Conservative Christian Black Man!)

To: muawiyah

Agreed.

13 posted on 06/17/2012 5:29:24 PM PDT by rdl6989 (January 20, 2013 The end of an error.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Yes, King attacked the cops. The devils in the MSM that showed off the edited tape ought to pay for their crimes.

14 posted on 06/17/2012 5:31:21 PM PDT by Olog-hai

"King’s fiancé, Cynthia Kelley ...a juror who helped decide King’s civil lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles..."

I never gave a hoot about King so I never really paid much attention to news about him, but I find this tidbit interesting.

15 posted on 06/17/2012 5:37:29 PM PDT by ex91B10 (We've tried the Soap Box,the Ballot Box and the Jury Box; one box left.)

To: Tea Party Terrorist
the cops went overboard on that beatdown.

They most certainly did.
16 posted on 06/17/2012 5:38:52 PM PDT by andyk (Go Juan Pablo!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

There are no more happier people tonight than the officers of the LAPD. Good riddance to another piece of human debris.

17 posted on 06/17/2012 5:39:18 PM PDT by animal172 (Calling the Founding Fathers!! We need your help.)

RIP

18 posted on 06/17/2012 5:41:02 PM PDT by freekitty (Give me back my conservative vote; then find me a real conservative to vote for)

To: Presbyterian Reporter

Yep. That one stopped me in my tracks, as well.

19 posted on 06/17/2012 5:49:29 PM PDT by RightOnline (I am Andrew Breitbart!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

$3.8 million probably buys a decent pool and keeps one in weed for quite a while. But in the end, his “victory” kinda did him in...

20 posted on 06/17/2012 5:50:22 PM PDT by bigbob

King’s fiancé, Cynthia Kelley, reportedly told friends that he had been drinking all day Saturday, and at one point smoked marijuana.

RIP Rodney. You died as you lived: on something.

21 posted on 06/17/2012 5:50:22 PM PDT by RansomOttawa (tm)

Unfortunately, Mr. King, like the Martin kid, is being used by the unscrupulous race baiters and hate mongers to further their own agendas. Sadly, Al Sharpton and others like him didn't give a rat's behind about Mr. King. Even now that Mr. King is dead, he is still being used by the alleged “reverend” Al to take a wizz on police and foster attacks against whitey.

I hope and pray that Mr. King has finally found peace and that he is safe in our Lord's loving arms.

22 posted on 06/17/2012 5:55:50 PM PDT by fatnotlazy

To: bboop

While absolutely perfect behavior never follows placing one’s faith in Jesus for salvation, something ought to — in fact always will — begin to operate that bucks sin. I can’t say that having weed (getting it’s still illegal AFAIK unless this was medpot) proves that this something wasn’t there, but one would hope to have seen a change start in his life as evidence it was genuine. He would have been a very new believer if so — only 2 months.

Certainly it’s an object lesson that a pot of worldly jam can’t buy peace or joy.

23 posted on 06/17/2012 6:04:09 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Let me ABOs run loose Lou!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: bigbob

At least he hadn’t blown the whole shebang yet. There was some trace of wisdom left in all of his folly.

Still, the “why can’t we all get along” kid found out one good reason for why we can’t all get along — so many desperate people soused on some drug (alcohol counts) to the point of being out of their gourds.

24 posted on 06/17/2012 6:08:25 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Let me ABOs run loose Lou!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: andyk

They were subduing him, because whenever he got up he would continue to swing his fists and resist arrest. In those circumstances, it was not overboard.

25 posted on 06/17/2012 6:09:19 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

"King’s fiancé, Cynthia Kelley, reportedly told friends that he had been drinking all day Saturday, and at one point smoked marijuana. She said that she awoke around 2 a.m. to the sounds of a naked King beating on the glass."

"Kelley, a juror who helped decide King’s civil lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles, said she then went to grab the phone when she heard a giant splash from the pool. Paramedics were called to the scene, but could not revive King."

This description is strange to me. Why would King be beating on the window? Was someone threatening him? Why would he cast himself into the pool, only to drown? It seems as if an intruder startled him, causing him to beat on the window. Then, King was knocked in the pool with a blow that only someone like George Zimmerman would know.

This is what happens when someone plays his stereo, naked and high on pot at 2 in the morning--in the wrong neighborhood. IMO.

26 posted on 06/17/2012 6:13:56 PM PDT by jonrick46 (Countdown to 11-06-2012)

Mr. King led a tragic life. He grew up fatherless, suffered from alcoholism, and lived most of his life in conflict. I don’t hate him, I just pity him. I hope that he reached out to God before his end. If he did, then God forgave him. And so should we.

“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. “ Mark 11:25

27 posted on 06/17/2012 6:16:46 PM PDT by BO Stinkss

To: RansomOttawa
omOttawa wrote: King’s fiancé, Cynthia Kelley, reportedly told friends that he had been drinking all day Saturday, and at one point smoked marijuana.

RIP Rodney. You died as you lived: on something.

The weed of crime bears bitter fruit; drunken stoners can not swim.

The Shadow Coroner knows...

28 posted on 06/17/2012 6:19:06 PM PDT by MrEdd (Heck? Geewhiz Cripes, thats the place where people who don't believe in Gosh think they aint going.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: andyk

And then reportedly went to the hospital he was taken to and gloated: “We hit some home runs off you!”

29 posted on 06/17/2012 6:21:57 PM PDT by doorgunner69
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Was it $12 million or $18 million he got as a settlement in his civil suit against LAPD? I don’t recall the specific amount, but I think I could somehow find something better to do with my life than booze and drugs with a seven figure settlement.

30 posted on 06/17/2012 6:26:05 PM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)

Was it $12 million or $18 million he got as a settlement in his civil suit against LAPD? I don’t recall the specific amount, but I think I could somehow find something better to do with my life than booze and drugs with a seven figure settlement.

31 posted on 06/17/2012 6:26:32 PM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)

To: MrEdd

Coroners sure have strong stomachs.

I don’t know how they do it,but someone has to.

32 posted on 06/17/2012 6:28:59 PM PDT by POWERSBOOTHEFAN (It's hurricane season! Yay!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

"Kelley, a juror who helped decide King’s civil lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles..."

Interesting

33 posted on 06/17/2012 6:38:43 PM PDT by mass55th (Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway...John Wayne)

To: doorgunner69

That was like totally idiotic and unprofessional and weighed in the lawsuits if not quite enough in the criminal case. Optics matters. But that’s peanuts to a big city PD; I’m not sure they learned not to do that.

34 posted on 06/17/2012 6:39:00 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Let me ABOs run loose Lou!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman

Wasn’t he buzzed on something at the beatdown?

35 posted on 06/17/2012 6:40:07 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Let me ABOs run loose Lou!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

Say what you want about Rodney King (all probably true) but the cops went overboard on that beatdown.

They sure did. And then they changed the court venue to Simi Valley and were stupid enough to try the officers in front of an all white jury that voted to acquit. They couldn't find one black person somewhere for that jury??? What did they think was going to happen???

36 posted on 06/17/2012 6:40:26 PM PDT by Uncle Chip

To: mass55th

Well they do have to dig deep in the turnip trucks to find a jury for something notorious like this. Anyone with some wits would know about it.

37 posted on 06/17/2012 6:41:51 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Let me ABOs run loose Lou!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: jonrick46

The earlier stories said she went to bed at 2 AM and woke at 5. Which made more sene, but still invited more questions.

38 posted on 06/17/2012 6:43:41 PM PDT by smalltownslick
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: smalltownslick

Maybe Kelley helped King meet his maker?

39 posted on 06/17/2012 6:53:18 PM PDT by Misterioso (It is futile to fight against, if one does not know what one is fighting for. - Ayn Rand)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

Oh.

Has Sharpton scheduled the riots yet?

40 posted on 06/17/2012 7:01:21 PM PDT by ScottinVA (Buying Drain-O requires photo I.D... yet voting doesn't???)

To: rovenstinez

If Obama had a son, he would have been taught to swim.

41 posted on 06/17/2012 7:08:57 PM PDT by Mark (Don't argue with my posts. I typed while under sniper fire..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I have to agree with this. Rodney King was a victim. Don't blame him for the riots. Blame the race-baiters in the Democratic Party and blame the cops for running away from the scene. Members of the LAPD are not heroes. They are cowards who fled the scenes of rioting as fast as they could. The heroes are the people of Korean descent who defended themselves.

42 posted on 06/17/2012 7:09:46 PM PDT by JimWayne

Comment #43 Removed by Moderator

To: Misterioso

Things don’t add up - I think you’re probably right. The only other scenario is maybe when he was making all that noise and banging on the window, he may have been dying from the combination of drugs and alcohol, and was already dead when he fell in the pool.

44 posted on 06/17/2012 7:15:04 PM PDT by smalltownslick
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

Now we’ll never get a chance to all just get along.

Maybe he will be greeted by the 58 people that died in the riots caused by his failure to follow police orders.

45 posted on 06/17/2012 7:22:24 PM PDT by exit82

To: HiTech RedNeck

Let me say it like this. I watched the interview that was done several months before his death. I thought he seemed (I do not know him) very sweet and thoughtful. He mentioned that race relations in the US were better than ever before, was not vindictive or bitter, just seemed full of joy.

As I said, I don’t know him... but I was touched by the interview.

46 posted on 06/17/2012 7:23:04 PM PDT by bboop (Without justice, what else is the State but a great band of robbers? St. Augustine)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: jonrick46

My take is that he was beating on the glass from the outside of her bedroom window? I guess it would help if I read the story. LOL

47 posted on 06/17/2012 7:25:21 PM PDT by GeorgeWashingtonsGhost
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqsbJldqjdY

48 posted on 06/17/2012 7:26:24 PM PDT by bboop (Without justice, what else is the State but a great band of robbers? St. Augustine)

To: exit82

Rodney Killed not one of those people perhaps you should blame the assholes that actually did the killings Oh but its too easy to blame the dead guy

49 posted on 06/17/2012 7:32:32 PM PDT by al baby (Hi Mom)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

but the cops went overboard on that beatdown.

When you see the unedited version, the cops behavior is much more understandable.

50 posted on 06/17/2012 7:32:50 PM PDT by Balding_Eagle (Liberals, at their core, are aggressive & dangerous to everyone around them,)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-69 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson