Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Heartbreaking photo shows the grief of a dog owner moments after police shoot family pet
Daily Mail ^ | 7/9/12 | Laura Cox

Posted on 07/09/2012 2:19:51 PM PDT by Kartographer

This devastating photo tells the tragic story of a family dog, shot dead by a police officer as he pursued a robbery suspect on Sunday. Monkey got caught up in the chaos of a foot pursuit along Hodges Street in Lake Charles, Louisiana as officers chased teens believed to have beaten a man in a mall parking lot before stealing his car which they then abandoned. The dog was in a back yard on the street when she heard the commotion and ran out through an open gate.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

TOPICS: Pets/Animals
KEYWORDS: 2012; assholecop; dog; donutwatch; govtabuse
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-174 next last
Comment #1 Removed by Moderator

To: Kartographer

Good Lord, that really is heart breaking.

2 posted on 07/09/2012 2:21:47 PM PDT by scottjewell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Truly heartbreaking.

3 posted on 07/09/2012 2:24:29 PM PDT by Biggirl ("Jesus talked to us as individuals"-Jim Vicevich/Thanks JimV!)

To: Biggirl

In the heat of the moment I might have shot the cop.

4 posted on 07/09/2012 2:25:41 PM PDT by junta ("Peace is a racket", testimony from crime boss Barrack Hussein Obama.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

And it’s from a Brit news source.

As if the MSM would ever report this.

5 posted on 07/09/2012 2:25:57 PM PDT by Old Sarge (We are now officially over the precipice, we just havent struck the ground yet)

Good-bye old friend.

6 posted on 07/09/2012 2:27:05 PM PDT by Huskrrrr

I have two Springer Spaniels, would not bite a good steak, if that happened to one of my dogs I would tell the Cop, look over your shoulder every day of your miserable life, because one day when you least expect it I will be the last thing you ever see...
7 posted on 07/09/2012 2:27:24 PM PDT by Rumplemeyer (The GOP should stand its ground - and fix Bayonets)

As the owner of a large dog which can look ferocious, I understand that if she ever gets out and runs up at someone barking, it would be possible that if that person were armed, great harm could come to my dog, and it might be justified. Sad but thats how it goes.

8 posted on 07/09/2012 2:29:35 PM PDT by Paradox (I want Obama defeated. Period.)

To: Kartographer; Joe 6-pack

Doggie ping — heartbreaker!

9 posted on 07/09/2012 2:29:36 PM PDT by afraidfortherepublic (ABO)

Poor, poor lady. Cops need to be educated in canine behavior. A dog running into a melee doesn’t mean it is out to attack. It is naturally attracted to the noise.

I’m so sick of Americans who seem to know nothing about man’s best friend...

10 posted on 07/09/2012 2:31:23 PM PDT by miss marmelstein

To: Paradox

Some people are unnaturally frightened of black dogs. I don’t know why this is but, as a black lab owner, I know this to be true.

11 posted on 07/09/2012 2:32:42 PM PDT by miss marmelstein
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Rumplemeyer
I have two Springer Spaniels, would not bite a good steak, if that happened to one of my dogs I would tell the Cop, look over your shoulder every day of your miserable life, because one day when you least expect it I will be the last thing you ever see...

At the very least, that would be my reaction. More likely, I'd be arrested for attacking the cop.

12 posted on 07/09/2012 2:34:06 PM PDT by Sans-Culotte ( Pray for Obama- Psalm 109:8)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

My black Lab, Bubba was killed by a PU truck in the early morning about 6 weeks ago.

Bubba was the Mayor of the neighborhood and roamed/protected 4 or 5 households without restraint.

We have unfenced gardens, thanks to Bubba (no deer)

Monkey is almost a spittin' image of Bubba

It broke our hearts, but we know Bubba would chase loud exhaust noise (bikes and other glass-packed type motor vehicles)

Cops should know if they're going through private property, there may likely be a protective dog big enough to scare you and you don't shoot the dog doin' his job!

Cops in these settings should be trained to have pepper spray out and at the ready, not go for your gun.

Fire the cop and charge him with unlawful death ... it was bad judgement on his part and piss poor training on the part of the department.

13 posted on 07/09/2012 2:34:44 PM PDT by knarf (I say things that are true ... I have no proof ... but they're true)

Dog gets underfoot of running cops. Pow, cops shoot dog.

I hope the crook was important enough to do that. Why not shoot the crook and leave the dog alone?

14 posted on 07/09/2012 2:35:02 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (let me ABOs run loose, lew)

To: Slings and Arrows

Almost never hear of a shot cat.

A properly trained cat could be a formidable guard animal. No dog can claw through Kevlar or climb up a standing person and bite them in the face.

15 posted on 07/09/2012 2:38:07 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (let me ABOs run loose, lew)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: HiTech RedNeck
I hope the crook was important enough to do that. Why not shoot the crook and leave the dog alone?

This is what really pisses me off about these shootings: the perp is probably already out on the streets committing more crimes or soon will be. It's also why I do not support high-speed auto chases in which innocent bystanders get killed so the cops can arrest someone for car theft which is hardly even punishable these days with prison overcrowding.

16 posted on 07/09/2012 2:39:44 PM PDT by Sans-Culotte ( Pray for Obama- Psalm 109:8)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Why is it they taser people but shoot dogs? How about just tasing a dog and moving on if they’re afraid?

17 posted on 07/09/2012 2:40:15 PM PDT by pops88 (Standing with Breitbart for truth.)

To: junta

Someone will!

We are in the midst of a strange epidemic of where the same LEOs who used to be respected and honored by the citizens they now openly abuse, have turned into stupid kids with guns.

Somehow the leaders of our communities better get a handle on this or it is going to come back to haunt them big time.

18 posted on 07/09/2012 2:40:15 PM PDT by X-spurt (It is truly time for ON YOUR FEET or on your knees)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: miss marmelstein

She should have secured the dog. The dog could just as well have gotten run over by a car. Sad but true.

19 posted on 07/09/2012 2:41:28 PM PDT by glorgau
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

No warning shot to scare off the dog? How about mace or pepper spray or taser? Coward cop.

20 posted on 07/09/2012 2:41:41 PM PDT by GeorgeWashingtonsGhost

To: scottjewell
“Good Lord, that really is heart breaking.”

_____

I have been in that position so I can understand the stress that the LEO was under. However I think too many agency's have the policy of shoot first, ask questions later. Some of them will send a fully armed SWAT team out to make an arrest for a stack of over due tickets and then get the wrong house in the process, So care needs to be taken around my turf. Poor lady, I can understand her grief, my heart goes out to her. the punks will get a slap on the wrist.

21 posted on 07/09/2012 2:42:23 PM PDT by mongo141 (Revolution ver. 2.0, just a matter of when, not a matter of if!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Public employee unions.

22 posted on 07/09/2012 2:42:34 PM PDT by NoLibZone (We must get down on our knees each day and thank God that McCain/Palin didn't win in '08. Right?)

To: X-spurt
We are in the midst of a strange epidemic of where the same LEOs who used to be respected and honored by the citizens they now openly abuse, have turned into stupid kids with guns.

The LEOs who were respected and honored have retired; they have been replaced by stupid kids with guns.

23 posted on 07/09/2012 2:43:15 PM PDT by DuncanWaring (The Lord uses the good ones; the bad ones use the Lord.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: miss marmelstein; Salamander

The cop was running through the dog’s territory and the dog was guarding it as would be expected. It didn’t even look like he bothered to see if the dog was inside an “invisible fence.” Nothing is said about the culprits being chased dashing through the same yard — they probably didn’t dare.

For shame.

24 posted on 07/09/2012 2:43:31 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (let me ABOs run loose, lew)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Cops don’t live where they work. Cops have zero stake in the community and don’t give two hills of pooh about the people they Police. Cops are encouraged to NOT live where they work.

Make cops personally and criminally responsible for their actions. Make them live where they work. Little League games, soccer practice, church. Suddenly cops would act like humans again.

25 posted on 07/09/2012 2:44:47 PM PDT by DariusBane (People are like sheep and have two speeds: grazing and stampede)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Once known as cops or police officers, they are now known as agents of the government.

A civilian military to be used against the people. All the kings men.

Treating neighbors as some foreign enemies, shooting to death their pets is a routine show of force.

These are actions of organized gangsters or mobsters, not the old America neighborhood policemen.

26 posted on 07/09/2012 2:46:18 PM PDT by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)

The dog would be alive if the gate had been locked. I’m not blaming the victim or excusing the perps or the cops, just stating a fact.

The dog got loose when the perps left a gate open. If the gate had been locked the dog would be alive.

27 posted on 07/09/2012 2:47:18 PM PDT by samtheman (The Trillion Dollar ObamaCareTax definitely is a tax; just ask the US Supreme Court.)

"..as a black lab owner, I know this to be true."

I found that out while walking my pup downtown for the first time. We had no trouble passing along on the sidewalk, especially at the bus stops where people were waiting for the bus.

The black iridescent fur makes the white teeth look HUGH!

28 posted on 07/09/2012 2:47:44 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: samtheman

If the culprits being chased left open the gate, why wasn’t the dog interested in them?

29 posted on 07/09/2012 2:49:53 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (let me ABOs run loose, lew)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

Unfortunately, most police departments don't train their officers all that well and in those rare instances when they are involved in a chase and the adrenalin is pumping, they tend to shoot reflexively. I can see how this happened but of course it was not only stupid but totally unnecessary. In most cases such as this, the officers actions would be investigated by Internal Affairs and of course he would be found to have done nothing wrong. Case closed. Too bad.

However, with the national publicity on this case, that probably won't happen- although I doubt the cop will lose his job. He'll receive some sort of reprimand, possibly some re-training. The dogs owner may have grounds for a lawsuit but even that is shaky as the police officer was engaged in performing his legal duty when he shot the dog and did so based on what he'll call 'self defense'. Sad story and with the dog dead, no happy endings.

30 posted on 07/09/2012 2:50:48 PM PDT by Jim Scott

To: Paradox
How in tarnation is it possible, mailmen, utility crews, meter readers etc, etc, can go through their entire careers and not have to routinely shoot and kill neighborhood pets?

How is possible these people can even perform their jobs without guns on their sides?

31 posted on 07/09/2012 2:51:19 PM PDT by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

If the gate had been locked the dog would be alive.

This could all have been avoided if the original beating victim had just shot the bastards, too.

32 posted on 07/09/2012 2:51:29 PM PDT by tacticalogic ("Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.)

To: knarf

I’m so sorry for the loss of your lab, Bubba. They are beautiful dogs.

About ten years ago, Robert DeNiro was filming in my small NJ town. It was evening and I had to walk my black lab. When he saw the lights and commotion, he broke free and ran into a filmed scene (DeNiro was nowhere around). I was totally embarrassed but the film crew was very nice. They said that it happened all the time and they were prepared to reshoot.

Now, if these movie people were so calm, cool and collected, why couldn’t the cops be the same way?!

My heart aches for your loss.

33 posted on 07/09/2012 2:52:05 PM PDT by miss marmelstein
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Rumplemeyer

Lake Charles, Louisiana. Hmm, sure hope that deputy doesn’t get lost in the swamp.

34 posted on 07/09/2012 2:52:05 PM PDT by Charles Martel (Endeavor to persevere...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Jim Scott

How in tarnation is it possible, mailmen, utility crews, meter readers etc, etc, can go through their entire careers and not have to routinely shoot and kill neighborhood pets?

How is possible these people can even perform their jobs without guns on their sides?

35 posted on 07/09/2012 2:52:13 PM PDT by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: glorgau

The dog was “secured”, until the suspect ran through the yard and left the gate open.

Read the article.

Still doesn’t justify the shoot.

36 posted on 07/09/2012 2:53:05 PM PDT by SZonian (Throwing our allegiances to political party's in the long run gave away our liberty.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

37 posted on 07/09/2012 2:53:05 PM PDT by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)

38 posted on 07/09/2012 2:53:56 PM PDT by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)

To: Paladin2

Thanks for the HUGH alert!! An old joke that still registers with some of us old timers.

Maybe it is the teeth! I never thought of that. What saddened me was the young children who were so scared of my goofy, amiable black lab.

39 posted on 07/09/2012 2:56:05 PM PDT by miss marmelstein
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

She should have secured the dog

Maybe, maybe she did and the dog still got out. Truth is, I don't know enough details to make a judgement.

Of course, never stops the knee jerkers around here? On the other hand, if the dog had been a pit bull, there are some here that would be lauding the cop as a hero...

40 posted on 07/09/2012 3:00:08 PM PDT by Paradox (I want Obama defeated. Period.)

To: SZonian

Now if the dog had nabbed the fleeing crook... you think the cops would have waited for the owner to come, or shot it anyhow?

41 posted on 07/09/2012 3:02:06 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (let me ABOs run loose, lew)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: dragnet2

That's a very good point. I used to deliver newspapers door to door in my (much) younger days and encountered many dogs, not all of which were happy to see me. Never received more than a nip at the heels.

I have a feeling that it is SOP in police manuals to shoot animals that get in the way of a policeman doing his duty. If so, I feel that some discretion should be used and that dogs should only be shot if they pose a clear danger - and even then, only be shot with tranquilizer gun whenever possible.

I do not know the entire story so I'll reserve judgement, but on the surface, it does not appear that lethal force was necessary here.

42 posted on 07/09/2012 3:02:23 PM PDT by SamAdams76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

Yes, Hi Tech: for shame.

43 posted on 07/09/2012 3:02:23 PM PDT by miss marmelstein
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: AnAmericanMother; Titan Magroyne; Badeye; SandRat; arbooz; potlatch; afraidfortherepublic; ...
WOOOF!

The Doggie Ping list is for FReepers who would like to be notified of threads relating to all things canid. If you would like to join the Doggie Ping Pack (or be unleashed from it), FReemail me.

44 posted on 07/09/2012 3:03:18 PM PDT by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum)

police are such dorks

today they were outside our building hoping to catch the man who beat up his girlfriend, with the lights flashing as if! stupid clutzes

45 posted on 07/09/2012 3:03:54 PM PDT by yldstrk ( My heroes have always been cowboys)

I’m not defending the act of shooting this poor dog. I’m just saying, lock your gates. I believe in strong fences with locked gates. It’s just the state of our country now. There is an army of illegals roaming the countryside and the police forces are more and more militarized and bureaucratic. I don’t care how safe you think your town is. Lock your gates.

46 posted on 07/09/2012 3:05:01 PM PDT by samtheman (The Trillion Dollar ObamaCareTax definitely is a tax; just ask the US Supreme Court.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

My lovely post lady, Dawn, always laughs when my dog runs out of the house, barking and carrying on. She reaches down into her pouch and gives the silly thing a biscuit.

I don't expect that from a policeman but, come one, ignore the dog - don't shoot it.

47 posted on 07/09/2012 3:06:53 PM PDT by miss marmelstein
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: Paradox; glorgau

Why don’t you both go read the story. Then rejoin the thread.

48 posted on 07/09/2012 3:10:50 PM PDT by TankerKC (Welcome to the age of "I Meant to Do That" Diplomacy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

Labs are happy dogs that are almost always smiling, which exposes their teeth.

49 posted on 07/09/2012 3:11:43 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: plain talk

Police shoot dog ping

50 posted on 07/09/2012 3:16:50 PM PDT by null and void (Day 1265 of our ObamaVacation from reality - Heroes aren't made Frank, they're cornered...)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-174 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson