Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Red_Devil 232

If I remember correctly the Munich Yeast was a powder. I ordered it from a New York distributor. Also a type of sugar for beer brewing. Store bought regular sugar won’t do.

I have been a long type premium beer lover as well as many microbrewery beer sampler. I am fortunate to live in Central Texas where there are many microbreweries and small companies.

Thanks for adding me to your ping list!

43 posted on 07/20/2012 9:11:48 PM PDT by Sen Jack S. Fogbound (We have met the enemy and they is us! After all, who voted Obama in?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies ]

To: Sen Jack S. Fogbound

That special sugar was corn sugar. Regular Cane sugar lends a taste to the beer described as “cidery”. Although corn sugar can do the same if used in excess. These sugars are usually used at bottling time and help to carbonate the beer in the bottle. Other sugars can be used also - Light and Dark Brown sugars, molasses or maple syrup and honey can be used in the boiling phase to add flavors. A clean sugar like corn sugar is usually used at bottling time for the carbonation phase.

If you brew again try one of the liquid yeasts. This time of year you should request cold shipping for a liquid yeast and it only adds a few cents, less than a dollar in most cases.

46 posted on 07/20/2012 9:50:38 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson