Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Itís Beer Thirty FReepers! Time For The Homebrewing/Wine Making Thread #7 Sept 7, 2012
Free Republic | 9-7-2012 | Red_Devil 232

Posted on 09/07/2012 4:35:46 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232

Good afternoon/evening FReepers. Yep, it is Beer Thirty Time Once Again!

Happiness is a bubbling airlock! And a Cold Home Brew

BEER

Good evening/afternoon brewers and winemakers. My wife and I are heading back to Mississippi from our new digs in Texas mid week next week to check on the house and property we own there. There will not be a beer/wine thread next week and possibly the next week. I do have another Honey Ale kit to brew up when I get back to Texas. I have decided not to brew it yet because I want to be here to watch over it.

I hope all of you and your Brews and Wines are doing well. Stop by and share what you are brewing or let us know what your favorite brew, wine or spirit is.

TOPICS: Hobbies
KEYWORDS: beer; homebrewing; weekly; wine
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

SYMPTOM

Beer is crystal clear

FAULT

It is water. Somebody is trying to sober you up.

ACTION

Punch Him!

1 posted on 09/07/2012 4:35:54 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: quantim; spinestein; 5Madman2; DTogo; Horatio Gates; Ribeye; decal; B Knotts; doodad; hemogoblin; ..

Ping to Y’all!

2 posted on 09/07/2012 4:37:06 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Red_Devil 232

Where in Texas?

3 posted on 09/07/2012 4:39:25 PM PDT by Repulican Donkey

Sorry for the error in the original post! Below is what I ment to post!

Good evening/afternoon brewers and winemakers. I am a little late on posting today. I almost forgot to post the thread today. Have had a couple of my Power House Porters @ 11% ABV I lost track of time. My trip to Mississippi to check on my house and property went well. We picked up a few things we left on our first move to Texas that we missed the first time and brought them back to Texas. I hated the drive back pulling a small utility trailer that wanted to sway and wander around at any speed over 50 MPH – long drive back. Mmmmm These porters have aged well after a few months and are now quite tasty. :)~

I pinged y’all to an Applejack thread earlier this week and I am so wanting to do some apple cider for my next brew project. That thread inspired me to try this for my next brewing project. I do not have any apple orchards near by to get fresh apple juice and I need some advice on what brands to look for in the local supermarkets to make an Apple Jack with and what brands or type of apple juice do y’all recommend I stay away from?

I hope all of you and your Brews and Wines are doing well. Stop by and share what you are brewing or let us know what your favorite brew, wine or spirit is.

4 posted on 09/07/2012 4:40:47 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Repulican Donkey

I am in the NE corner in Marshall, Tx about 30 miles from Shreveport,La.

5 posted on 09/07/2012 4:48:21 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

LOL!

I have 40 liters of my adapted summer brew going on a staggered rotation. The first 20 liters went from 8% spec grav to 2.5% in a week, and is just sitting there at 2.5%... I really want to bottle it tomorrow.

I tried some today, pre-carbonation, and it was ok, but very pale since I accidentally used Brer Rabbit(tm) syrup, instead of molasses.

Daughter came by today and while I was out of the room, she snagged a drink from my mug and when I came back she said: "That wasn't lemonaid, was it?" ;)

/johnny

6 posted on 09/07/2012 4:55:29 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)

To: JRandomFreeper

Did she punch you in the arm?

7 posted on 09/07/2012 5:04:26 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Nah, She did talk about old guys that make high-test homebrew though. ;)

She couldn't say too much, she had me buy her some potato vodka when we went to the package store this afternoon.

/johnny

8 posted on 09/07/2012 5:08:58 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

For those FReepers interested the move “Inglourious Basterds” just started on the TNT cable chanel! It is a good movie, IMHO.

9 posted on 09/07/2012 5:09:01 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Any Ideas on my Applejack quest?

10 posted on 09/07/2012 5:11:13 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Restate the quest. I did gloss over a thread about cider the other night, but was distracted.

/johnny

11 posted on 09/07/2012 5:14:50 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I was in Germany back in the late 70’s, in a downtown bar talking to a couple of young men who told me they were in school to learn to be braumeisters. I told them about using raisins and making jack and they acted like the the world had just ended. Even tho I was 35, confident in my homebrew abilities, and able to kick all their asses, I let them win the argument. 2 or 3 years later I introduced my 65 y/o German father-in-law to the joys of making your own and the rest is history. An entire extended famly of in-laws travels from the beer capital of the world, 4000 miles away, every year or so, to sample my home made stuff. Right now it’s a nice brown ale in the glass, and a Belgian ale bubbling away in the carboy. Sunday in the secondary, a week or so later in the fridge, then wait for Octoberfest and the influx of Germans. Zum Wohl!!!

12 posted on 09/07/2012 5:16:18 PM PDT by jstaff
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

2 days juice to wine kit.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e683/?srp=1

13 posted on 09/07/2012 5:17:29 PM PDT by rawcatslyentist (I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a Barack 0b0tt0my!)

The quest is to make an Applejack from strore bought apple juice. No fresh squeezed apple juice from an orchard for my location.

14 posted on 09/07/2012 5:18:49 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: jstaff

Sounds like you have some great recipes and brews there! care to share the recipes?

15 posted on 09/07/2012 5:26:13 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Hard to do with all the preservatives that are in store-bought juice. Forget it with bottled stuff.

Read labels on concentrate carefully. I'd use a bottom fermenting yeast.... hell, I'd use fleishman's bread yeast, since it's cider anyway. You can also use cane sugar since it's going to have a cidery taste, and cane sugar just helps that along.

Only other advice I could give is don't baby it. Bring the concentrate/sugar/some water to a boil, mix with tap water that's aereated, pitch 4 teaspoons of proofed bread yeast when the temp drops below 100F, and stand back.

Bread yeast, btw, seems to live fine at up to 10% alcohol.

Sounds pretty country, but it might suprise you. ;)

/johnny

16 posted on 09/07/2012 5:27:53 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Almond wine, recipe from Making Wild Wines and Meads
A little like a mild amaretto. Almond wine is wonderful with deserts.

5 ounces almonds
3 pounds raisins
3 cups grape juice concentrate
7 lbs sugar
Juice of 6 lemons
3 tsp lemon zest
3 tsp yeast nutrient
4.5 cups orange juice at room temperature
3 tsp pectic enzyme
Mince the almonds and raisins in a food processor
Transfer this to a stainless pot, add enough water to cover
Simmer gently for 1 hour
Place in a net bag and add to bucket
Add the grape juice concentrate and enough water to make 2 gallons.
Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest
Add sodium metabisulfate
Remove bag after 24 hour, draining it into the bucket
Add water to bring up to 3 gallons
Add Pectic enzyme
Add yeast
Cover and add airlock
Bottle when clear
Age at least three months

17 posted on 09/07/2012 5:42:05 PM PDT by american_ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

My heart bleeds for you. I have a mature orchard of a dozen trees and have taken seven - count ‘em - seven apples this season; late frost killed the blossoms. It was my sincere desire to brew hard cider this year but, alas, it was not to be.

Oh well, there’s always next year.

18 posted on 09/07/2012 5:42:05 PM PDT by WorkingClassFilth (I'm for Churchill in 1940!)

To: american_ranger

Jalapeno Wine

16 large jalapenos (for less heat, use 8 jalapenos)
1 lb golden raisins chopped or minced
2 lbs finely granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to one gallon
1 crushed Campden tablet
3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
Pasteur Champagne Yeast

Wearing rubber gloves, wash jalapeno peppers and cut off stems. Slice length-ways and remove seeds for mild heat, leave them in for very hot wine. Place peppers in blender or food chopper with 2 cups water and chop coarsely. Separately, chop or mince raisins. Put raisins in nylon straining bag and, over primary, pour chopped jalapenos in with raisins. Tie bag and leave in primary. Add remaining ingredients except for pectic enzyme and yeast. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary and set aside 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover and set aside another 12 hours. Add yeast and recover. Stir daily for 7 days. Wearing rubber gloves, squeeze nylon bag. Transfer liquor to secondary and fit airlock. Ferment to absolute dryness (45-60 days). Rack into clean secondary and refit airlock. Rack twice more, 30 days apart. Wait final 30 days and rack into bottles. Can use or drink immediately, but will age if you add 1/8 tsp of tannin to ingredients.

This stuff is awesome. And also a great marinade. My neighbors beg for more.

19 posted on 09/07/2012 5:44:21 PM PDT by american_ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Red_Devil 232; All

Anyone know the limit of brew life of kit grains if they are uncracked?

I asked because I have two kits laying around that I planned to brew this weekend but I know for a fact that these kits are over a year old. Grains are whole and sealed in plastic bags.

Whaddya think?

20 posted on 09/07/2012 5:44:56 PM PDT by WorkingClassFilth (I'm for Churchill in 1940!)

Wish I could help you out but I brew it seasonally. Sept - Nov I get juice directly from the orchard so I have nothing worthwhile to add about store bought juice. DJF makes some from store bought, perhaps he will chime in.

Cheers,

MILF Man

21 posted on 09/07/2012 5:45:32 PM PDT by knews_hound (Reading without commenting since 2001.)

Wish I could help you out but I brew it seasonally. Sept - Nov I get juice directly from the orchard so I have nothing worthwhile to add about store bought juice. DJF makes some from store bought, perhaps he will chime in.

Cheers,

MILF Man

22 posted on 09/07/2012 5:45:32 PM PDT by knews_hound (Reading without commenting since 2001.)

To: american_ranger
I make a jalapeno and orange marmalade that also gets rave reviews and requests for more.

Japs normally do well here(not so good this year), so I'll have to try that.

Does it make you wish for ice-cream the next morning while sitting on the throne?

/johnny

23 posted on 09/07/2012 5:47:23 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: WorkingClassFilth

When in doubt, take some out of the package and chew em.

If it tastes stale, it is. If it is crunchy malty goodness, brew on brother.

Cheers,

knewshound

24 posted on 09/07/2012 5:47:43 PM PDT by knews_hound (Reading without commenting since 2001.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

I've been making Belgian Trappist-style ales for the past few months; a lot more fun and creativity involved than plain ales and lagers. I've got a batch I bottled two weeks ago, and tomorrow I'll be cracking one of the sample bottles I set aside for just that purpose. I'll also be brewing a concoction I intend to call "Shatanas Ers," with all kinds of fermentables, leftover HG Trappist yeast from my last batch, and a whole bunch of subtle flavors derived from various liqueuers, bourbon, and cherry wood chips. (Incidentally, the name is from Chaucer's Summoner's Tale.)

While I'm at it, I must say that I've become a devotee of yeast starter and oxygenated wort. It doesn't cost too much to infuse your wort with real oxygen; just a small investment in a diffusion stone and a regulator for the small-size oxygen canisters you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. You get beautiful fermentations that start very quickly and provide maximum attenuation.

25 posted on 09/07/2012 5:48:04 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)

This year hasn't been good for lots of crops. I did get a bunch of mustang grapes, but during processing, the black mold infested it, and I lost the entire batch.

Best year I ever had was completely ad-hoc and unexpected. Cactus pears and native green plums up in the mountains in New Mexico. I brewed about 30 gallons from the land that year.

If it has sugar, it ferments.

/johnny

26 posted on 09/07/2012 5:50:43 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Mr Ramsbotham
I've been making Belgian Trappist-style ales for the past few months

I was suprised that you were doing that at this time of year, but I clicked on your name and saw that you probably aren't having 108F days. ;)

I'll be making my summer brew well into October.

/johnny

27 posted on 09/07/2012 5:53:46 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: knews_hound

Yeah, DJF mentioned his use of store bought juice on the Applejack thread earlier this week. I thought I would try responses to store bought juice on this thread and see if we could get a few responses.

28 posted on 09/07/2012 5:55:20 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

"Oh well, there’s always next year."

Seems like I am always saying that about my garden every year for some crop or anther!

29 posted on 09/07/2012 5:58:06 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Properly stored, grains will last for up to a year. That is whole uncrushed and sealed in air tight bags or buckets. Go for it.

30 posted on 09/07/2012 6:05:41 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)

As long as they were sealed and kept cool and dry they should be OK. In doubt? Taste!

I’ve used older grains before with no problem.

31 posted on 09/07/2012 6:05:49 PM PDT by brewer1516

To: Red_Devil 232; JRandomFreeper; knews_hound

Thanks, folks!

32 posted on 09/07/2012 6:06:27 PM PDT by WorkingClassFilth (I'm for Churchill in 1940!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

Same here. I get about 700 ml of a very healthy yeast starter going with the O2 and also use the O2 before I pitch the yeast into the fermenter. I’ve seen the airlock kick in within an hour!

33 posted on 09/07/2012 6:09:28 PM PDT by brewer1516

To: brewer1516

I’ll try that. Thanks!

34 posted on 09/07/2012 6:10:33 PM PDT by WorkingClassFilth (I'm for Churchill in 1940!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

I was suprised that you were doing that at this time of year, but I clicked on your name and saw that you probably aren't having 108F days. ;)

Not only that, but my basement stays at a consistent 68 to 72 degrees all year 'round.

35 posted on 09/07/2012 6:36:07 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: brewer1516
Same here. I get about 700 ml of a very healthy yeast starter going with the O2 and also use the O2 before I pitch the yeast into the fermenter. I’ve seen the airlock kick in within an hour!

My last batch, the krausen was coming right out of the airlock. I confess I love to see a really good fermentation!

36 posted on 09/07/2012 6:37:26 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

When the kiddo stopped by today, she came into the kitchen and was gasping. Both ACs running full bore, big fan going, and the temps inside just dropped into the high 80s.

I do fall beers from Dec-Feb.

I am somewhat envious of your basement facility.

/johnny

37 posted on 09/07/2012 6:41:56 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

I have tried Belgian Trappist-style ales in the past and had mixed results. Could have been the heat down here in the south that caused the mixed results. I don’t have the means to control fermentation temps other than ice baths in the heat. Yep, pure oxygen is the way to oxygenate the wort.

Ah yes! “Shatanas Ers”! Satan’s arse - Sounds like that might be brewed with something like Jalapenos or such! Ouch in the morning!

38 posted on 09/07/2012 6:44:36 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)

http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/11/the-final-word-for-now-on-homemade-hard-cider.html

An article on making cider from store bought apple juice, I think “Musselman’s” was the brand they liked best. Some of the comments are good.

Can you link the applejack thread here? I thought you just freeze and filter hard cider- and that it is considered the same as distilling by the law. so don’t tell anyone.

39 posted on 09/07/2012 6:56:00 PM PDT by mrsmith (Dumb sluts: Lifeblood of the Media, Backbone of the Democrat Party!)

For mead: any suggestions on keeping yeast alive and happy as long as possible (to wit maximum fermentation) while staying as simple & old-school as possible?

40 posted on 09/07/2012 7:02:40 PM PDT by ctdonath2 ($1 meals: http://abuckaplate.blogspot.com)

Ah yes! “Shatanas Ers”! Satan’s arse - Sounds like that might be brewed with something like Jalapenos or such! Ouch in the morning!

I'm creative, but I draw the line at Jalapenos. I remember once drinking a bottle of Cave Creek chili beer. For the next day or so I felt as if I were running a low-grade fever all over my body!

41 posted on 09/07/2012 7:05:10 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

I understand, it is hard to keep the AC running all day just to keep the inside temp in the mid 80’s - older house with inferior insulation.

42 posted on 09/07/2012 7:12:47 PM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

I am somewhat envious of your basement facility.

You could conceivably get one of those evaporating portable A/C units and set it up in a small room, if you could bear the extra expense (they cost around $250 per unit). I bought a couple of those units this year to cool down my upstairs guest rooms, which get absolutely no cooling from my central a/c. They evaporate the condensation, and require only a window vent to exhaust the hot air.

43 posted on 09/07/2012 7:15:43 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

Have had a couple of my Power House Porters @ 11% ABV ...

What do you use in the way of fermentables to get the ABV so high?

44 posted on 09/07/2012 7:17:26 PM PDT by Mr Ramsbotham (Laws against sodomy are honored in the breech.)

Evaporative coolers work great in Arizona or New Mexico where the humidity is low.

Around here, it just pisses off the black mold and makes it grow faster.

Next year I'll have bigger ACs, and maybe keep it down into the 80s inside. ;)

/johnny

45 posted on 09/07/2012 7:20:37 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

Anyone know the limit of brew life of kit grains if they are uncracked?

I’ve used them over five years old with no reduction in yield. If you are talking base grains, they are usually malted. As long as they are kept dry and relatively cool, no problem. Taste them, you can tell. They should taste like grape nuts. Just make sure you do a hard boil for the entire time to get rid of the off flavors if any occur. Dark beers, such as porters and stouts also tend to hide any off flavors.

Adjunct grains usually roasted hard and keep fairly well. It varies by type but since the quantity is relatively small, if in doubt, replace them. It’s not worth it to ruin a big batch for a small quantity of adjunct grains.

If you are using liquid malt extract, the color of the beer gets darker as the malt extract ages. Again, I’ve used cans 5+ years with no problems. Throw away any old yeast and buy new and make sure the hops are fresh as old hops will ruin a beer.

I brew quite a bit. Not as much now as I like to, due to lack of time. My brew kettle is 150 gallons with a pump circulator to keep the sugars from burning. My specialty is bourbon barrel imperial stout. Problem is, it takes a lot of bottling to store 52 gallons of beer! If I put it in kegs, I tend to drink it too fast!

I’m ready for the economic crash. Purchased a ton of barley malt and planning on growing a few acres of barley this next year on my farm just to learn the malting process. Need to plant a few more hop vines including a few more varieties and I’ll be self sustaining.

Wheat or wit beers are the easiest, but watch the explosive fermentation. Use hoses for vents, not airlocks.

46 posted on 09/07/2012 7:28:26 PM PDT by tired&retired

“I’ve been making Belgian Trappist-style ales for the past few months”......

My favorites of all... The top of my favorite beer list is a Westmalle Triple. Been to the Brussels beer festival in Belgium many times to imbibe. Three hundred plus beers for three days! If you like lambics, the Bruxellensus Festival is every other year, the week after the big festival in the Grand Plus.

47 posted on 09/07/2012 7:32:48 PM PDT by tired&retired

To: tired&retired
Purchased a ton of barley malt and planning on growing a few acres of barley this next year on my farm just to learn the malting process. Need to plant a few more hop vines including a few more varieties and I’ll be self sustaining.

Rock on! Nothing like starting from dirt and making bread (or beer).

Are your hops doing ok? I remember the shortage we had a while back.

/johnny

48 posted on 09/07/2012 7:34:49 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

“the krausen was coming right out of the airlock. I confess I love to see a really good fermentation! “

Use plastic hoses with the other end in a bucket of Star-San. If they still clog, use a bigger hose.

49 posted on 09/07/2012 7:36:35 PM PDT by tired&retired
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

Please, add me to the ping list

50 posted on 09/07/2012 7:37:02 PM PDT by doubled ( never in the field of human con tricks has so much been owed by so many to so little effect - Steyn)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-71 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson