Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I am done with Dick's Sporting Goods! (vanity)

Posted on 09/30/2012 8:04:53 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA

I was at Dick's this morning to buy some 223 ammo and was paying in cash. Before the checkout clerk would ring me out I had to tap Yes or No on the pad for the question of "Are you a US citizen"? None of the other gun stores I frequent ask this question......will be my last ever Dick's Sporting Goods purchase.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat
KEYWORDS: 2a; banglist; fastfurious; goodbyeliberty; liberty
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-202 next last
To: Red in Blue PA
Ever consider that many (Most) of the laws concerning the 2A are unconstitutional?

Yes. I think many of vast array of Export Control laws we have put into place are ill-considered, and impinge on Constitutional liberties (1st as well as 2nd ammendments). But I don't blame Dick's Sporting Good for trying to stay out of jail and in business.

101 posted on 09/30/2012 8:55:59 AM PDT by CaptainMorgantown
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

“I called the store manager when I got home and she told me it is a new policy and she believes it is the law. Utter BS as there is no such law.”

I humbly apologize to you.

It does sound she was lying. You should have whacked her with the citizenship bit.

Again, I apologize to you.

In that case, I wouldn’t purchase there again either because of the lie.

102 posted on 09/30/2012 8:57:15 AM PDT by Gatún(CraigIsaMangoTreeLawyer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

To: Conscience of a Conservative

In my book, the Constitution is not for non-citizens....we differ. (In the vernacular of the common liberal, I’ve interpreted this meaning as a ‘living document” transtional definition specifically relating to our current time where foreigners are a threat to us).....

103 posted on 09/30/2012 8:57:49 AM PDT by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
She asks question A. If the answer is "Yes, I am a citizen," the computer stops there. If the question is "No, I am not a citizen," the computer asks for production of a visa or green card.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Following the law. No problem there. Legal foreigners / tourists can purchase ammo.

104 posted on 09/30/2012 8:57:59 AM PDT by Rio (Tempis fugit.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

To: arderkrag
Kayak in that context is interchangable for bike

Oh! You mean the 'men' that wear them spandex knee length tights, spandex T's and them Alien helmets?.....Usually I see these guys sucking on a water bottle they grabbed out from between their legs on the bicycle (they absolutely hate it when you call their whateveritis thingy a 'bicycle'....) The only question I have is where do they put their balls when they jamb that tiny little seat up their keester while riding?

105 posted on 09/30/2012 9:04:37 AM PDT by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 100 | View Replies]

I walk the walk. I have the license and I fight it every way that I can. Tell you what, sport: You go make yourself a test case against Bloomberg’s ban on guns in New York and then get back to me. How much did you do for our 2nd Amendment this year. Did you get involved, not just donate, to one of the many orgs fighting for our rights? I did. And will again next year. If I step out of line I go directly to a Federal Prison. You willing to do that? Thought not. You’re just another internet superhero. Ridding the universe of all the bad guys, one whining post at a time.

By the way, my shop is Fair Play Trading Post and Gunsmithing. You can easily validate that I am indeed a holder of a valid FFL.

106 posted on 09/30/2012 9:06:55 AM PDT by ExpatGator (I hate Illinois Nazis!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 99 | View Replies]

To: Rio; All

If the govt was interested in the illegal invasion, they would close the borders. They don’t.

If they were interested in illegals, they would not give them free school care on the US taxpayers dime.

If they were interested in stopping illegal immigration, they would not give illegals free healthcare. But they don’t.

Instead, they start with the 2A as they know you will cave. And by reading the posts here, they are correct.

It is never about the guns (or ammo)......it is always about control.

107 posted on 09/30/2012 9:07:49 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

To: ExpatGator

Having your FFL makes you a patriot about as much as owning a flag makes you a patriot.

108 posted on 09/30/2012 9:10:23 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

Having your FFL makes you a patriot about as much as owning a flag makes you a patriot.

109 posted on 09/30/2012 9:10:31 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

After having read all the comments it sounds like someone straining to find offense. So ho-hum, don't shop there, end of story. Move on with the rest of your life, etc., etc.
110 posted on 09/30/2012 9:14:01 AM PDT by count-your-change (You don't have to be brilliant, not being stupid is enough.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

The FFL does not prove anything except that I have skin in the game and a clue about the laws. You have thus far ignored the proof of law that I have provided and thrown red-herrings out to distract.
If you knew me, or my background you would not mention patriotism as an angle of attack. I have done my share.

111 posted on 09/30/2012 9:17:49 AM PDT by ExpatGator (I hate Illinois Nazis!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 109 | View Replies]

FWIW, I make it a habit to avoid giving one dime of my business to anyplace that precludes the right to self defense. This of course means no NYC and no Jersey shore. I wish more gun owners would stick to their guns so to speak......then these places would feel it in their pocketbook.

112 posted on 09/30/2012 9:21:40 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 111 | View Replies]

I guess the real question is why are you buying ammo at Dick’s? Much better prices elsewhere.

113 posted on 09/30/2012 9:21:40 AM PDT by Vasilli22

FWIW, I make it a habit to avoid giving one dime of my business to anyplace that precludes the right to self defense. This of course means no NYC and no Jersey shore. I wish more gun owners would stick to their guns so to speak......then these places would feel it in their pocketbook.

114 posted on 09/30/2012 9:21:52 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 111 | View Replies]

To: Vasilli22

Ot is closer than Cabelas......but now I will simply do all of my shopping at Cabelas. They truly understand the 2A.

115 posted on 09/30/2012 9:23:12 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 113 | View Replies]

Maybe they don’t want to sell to illegal aliens. OK by me although we kicked Dick’s to the curb several years ago when they stiffed us on a shotgun shell special. We are all Pro Bass all the time.

116 posted on 09/30/2012 9:28:36 AM PDT by Georgia Girl 2 (The only purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should never have dropped.)

To: Gaffer; shelterguy
So, if you’re looking for “gay” stuff, you should buy one of them kayaks....the kind you can ‘bind’ to the top of your VW or Mini-Cooper and drive up to the mountains to get into some white water and get all wet with your ‘roommate’....

Kayaking is gay??? Wow. Never done it before but it looks like fun..

BTW I know a guy who kayaks and he has had more women in his bed in 5 years than all 3 of us together will have in our lives combined...

117 posted on 09/30/2012 9:31:36 AM PDT by trailhkr1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

What it the point? The illegal can simply press Yes. So what? Unless they check your ID, and record it on the receipt, it means nothing.

118 posted on 09/30/2012 9:50:22 AM PDT by SgtHooper (The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.)

To: BipolarBob

I think I have the answer. It’s a marketing ploy. When word gets out that Dick’s checks ID’s to weed out illegal aliens, it may draw more business as “Dick’s is pro-American!”, when actually it is not, since I believe Dick’s is a pro-Rat business.

119 posted on 09/30/2012 9:55:21 AM PDT by SgtHooper (The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Gaffer; Red in Blue PA
What part of :

18 USC 922 (d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise
dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe
that such person -

(5) who, being an alien -
(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

Do you not understand?

What part of "knowing or having reasonable cause to believe" don't you FReepers understand?

ACCORDING TO THE LAW, Dicks has ZERO jusitifability to apply this question indescriminately to AMMO sales, and whenever it does apply it, it must be able to show a REASON.

Don't you see what Dick's is implementing? It is the idea that if you don't provide some sort of positive evidence, you can be presumed - simply for existing - to be an alien or illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

It is LITERALLY "papers please."

WAKE UP!

120 posted on 09/30/2012 9:57:21 AM PDT by Talisker (One who commands, must obey.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

To: Talisker
Thank you! Someone who gets it!
121 posted on 09/30/2012 10:08:14 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 120 | View Replies]

To: Talisker
Thank you! Someone who gets it!
122 posted on 09/30/2012 10:08:29 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)

I like it.

I don’t see the problem.

123 posted on 09/30/2012 10:12:11 AM PDT by P-Marlowe (There can be no Victory without a fight and no battle without wounds.)

Good reason to buy from Dick’s.

124 posted on 09/30/2012 10:31:49 AM PDT by X-spurt (It is truly time for ON YOUR FEET or on your knees)

What’s wrong with this? I’m GLAD they’re asking - selling to illegals is actually illegal.

125 posted on 09/30/2012 10:38:52 AM PDT by Yashcheritsiy (It's time to make Obama a minor footnote in the pages of history)

To: Talisker; Red in Blue PA; dinodino
Excellent post!

Stunning to read so many FR posters shrug, yawn, or blithely scoff at the incremental advance of statism.

The road to serfdom becomes a shorter one every day.

Courtesy ping to those who see clearly what this infringement means.

126 posted on 09/30/2012 10:40:13 AM PDT by Flycatcher (God speaks to us, through the supernal lightness of birds, in a special type of poetry.)

To: All

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2938282/posts?page=120#120

127 posted on 09/30/2012 10:41:07 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 126 | View Replies]

To: Flycatcher

Reading these posts explains......to me at least......why this country is in the shape it is in. If people here do not recognize this as an infringement on us all, then God help this nation.

128 posted on 09/30/2012 10:43:26 AM PDT by Red in Blue PA (Read SCOTUS Castle Rock vs Gonzales before dialing 911!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 126 | View Replies]

I don’t darken Dick’s doorstep because they have the worst customer service of any sporting goods store. I’m a Gander Mountain gal.

129 posted on 09/30/2012 10:43:38 AM PDT by grellis (I am Jill's overwhelming sense of disgust.)

To: LegendHasIt

To get a fishing license at Dick’s this year, I had to provide photo ID, social security number and telephone number - it was required or no fishing license!

They are collecting way too much information!

130 posted on 09/30/2012 10:44:47 AM PDT by conservativesister
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

I've got mixed emotions on that. Do you really want non-citizens buying ammo in this environment? Is Dick's Sporting Goods not a private establishment, entitled to sell or not to sell their merchandise under any precondition of their choosing within the law? I believe they are.

Just don't shop there if you feel it's too invasive. If enough people react similarly, the policy will be rescinded if they have half a brain, and I suspect they do. They're the envy of the sporting goods retail industry, widely emulated and studied, highly successful business model.

131 posted on 09/30/2012 10:46:21 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry

Damn straight!

Thanks for this thread.

All the best to you!

132 posted on 09/30/2012 10:47:20 AM PDT by Flycatcher (God speaks to us, through the supernal lightness of birds, in a special type of poetry.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 128 | View Replies]

Hell, I’m not gonna shop there anymore out of protest that all they carry is crappy Ultramax reloads.

133 posted on 09/30/2012 10:52:31 AM PDT by FLAMING DEATH (Freedom of speech is delicious. It tastes like chicken.)

To: SgtHooper

They’re headquartered in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, just outside Pittsburgh. Given the locale they’re not going to be hardcore Republican, but the nature of the business draws a more conservative group of personnel. Outside the two major metros east and west, you get pretty conservative pretty quick. There’s a reason central PA is known as Northern Alabama, lol.

134 posted on 09/30/2012 10:52:44 AM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 119 | View Replies]

Heck, I think that they should ask that question when people buy groceries. The illegals would certainly be heading back to thier home country in a hurry if they couldn’t buy food. Problem solved!

The only downside would be that people would have to start mowing their own lawns again....

.....Yeah, yeah, yeah, racist blah blah blah.....

135 posted on 09/30/2012 10:53:34 AM PDT by meyer (It's 1860 all over again - the taxpayer is the new "N" word)

To: Gaffer

What if it’s a chick doing the kayaking? I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m hot, but as far as I know I’ve never blinded anyone, and I love to kayak...with the kayak I bought at Gander Mountain.

136 posted on 09/30/2012 10:53:34 AM PDT by grellis (I am Jill's overwhelming sense of disgust.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

What’s the problem and what’s the point?
Anyone could lie, so it’s just plain stupid.

137 posted on 09/30/2012 11:00:38 AM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)

To: trailhkr1

Kayaking is not itself gay. Biking is not gay. But when these “guys” dress like fags then it is gay.

138 posted on 09/30/2012 11:03:00 AM PDT by shelterguy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 117 | View Replies]

To: Flycatcher; Red in Blue PA
United States Code, Title 18, Section 922 (g)(5) makes it illegal for an illegal alien or an alien here on a non-immigrant visa to possess firearms or ammunition.

Perhaps they were trying to avoid a customer getting into trouble over purchasing ammo without knowing the law. In that case, it would have made more sense to have put up a notice saying "Non-US citizens should check for possible restrictions on legally buying ammunition" or some such.

139 posted on 09/30/2012 11:04:23 AM PDT by PapaBear3625 (Charlie Daniels - Payback Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwTJj_nosI)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Sounds like a good idea, did they want to see ID too?

140 posted on 09/30/2012 11:08:01 AM PDT by GeronL (http://asspos.blogspot.com)

To: shelterguy

I went Kayaking with a gal, she took off her skirt and boy did she get wet!
Nothing gay about that.

141 posted on 09/30/2012 11:09:27 AM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 138 | View Replies]

To: SgtHooper

That is . . . possible.

142 posted on 09/30/2012 11:10:55 AM PDT by BipolarBob ("It was a form of exorcism. I was choking the devil out of her".)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 119 | View Replies]

To: MestaMachine
Why? I think this is great. Who wants noncitizens buying firearms?

Given the depths to which the government will go to justify stripping people of the right to keep and bear arms -- IIRC, Obamacare makes it a felony not to have qualifying health insurance (and felons are prohibited from firearms [and ammo] -- I would not put it past them to [unilaterally] revoke people's citizenship and then claim that restrictions against non-citizens apply to these people.

143 posted on 09/30/2012 11:13:50 AM PDT by OneWingedShark (Q: Why am I here? A: To do Justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with my God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: PapaBear3625
An interesting -- even pragmatic -- solution. And probably workable.

Thanks.

144 posted on 09/30/2012 11:16:48 AM PDT by Flycatcher (God speaks to us, through the supernal lightness of birds, in a special type of poetry.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 139 | View Replies]

When ever you but fire arms from some minimum wage rube in a big box store you can expect some silliness on the regulations.

Even in a good store some bullcrap can happen.
I recall my local vendor coming back from lunch and looking over some paper work, and shouting “Who sold the pistol to the raghead?”
I looked at the paper work and said *****, this guy is a citizen and he is a Sihk.
It’s cool.

145 posted on 09/30/2012 11:22:19 AM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)

To: Red in Blue PA; All
"That is an INFRINGEMENT."

Hard to disagree with you on that point. But I would invite everyone to consider that the question would not stop illegals from buying ammo. All they would have to do is answer "YES" and walk away with the rocks.

Whoever put that question into the computer is an idiot who assumes that people are going to be honest. It smells like the work of just another Pollyanna brown-sky liberal twit.

Here we have another clash between personal freedom and limitation of powers of government (the bedrock upon which the Constitution is founded) on the one hand, and national security on the other. Clearly the government is horrible at providing for either, and inevitably devolves into just another form of tyranny when citizens concede on even a minor point.

And given the countless laws and executive orders passed by congress, the president, and the supreme court that tax us into slavery, take our land, force us to speak and to think in a certain manner, restrict our movements, and rob us of our entrepreneurial potential, can anyone with a whiff of common sense really say that our government has not become tyrannical?

146 posted on 09/30/2012 11:22:26 AM PDT by 60Gunner (Fight with your head high, or live with your head low so you can dodge the bullets.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

When ever you but fire arms from some minimum wage rube in a big box store you can expect some silliness on the regulations.

Even in a good store some bullcrap can happen.
I recall my local vendor coming back from lunch and looking over some paper work, and shouting “Who sold the pistol to the raghead?”
I looked at the paper work and said *****, this guy is a citizen and he is a Sihk.
It’s cool.

147 posted on 09/30/2012 11:22:31 AM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)

Should illegal aliens be allowed to demonstrate for “equal rights?” Why is the 2nd Amendment treated differently than the others?

148 posted on 09/30/2012 11:23:33 AM PDT by PghBaldy (I am sick of Obama's and Hillary's apologies to muslims, especially after 11 September 2012.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

And here the is the truth brother.
That FFL asked you that stuff because he did not want the Feds to bust his ass for not dotting his i’s and crossing his t’s.

If anyone is being infringed on it is the poor FFL holder that has to jump through ridiculous hoops to stay clean with the Feds.

149 posted on 09/30/2012 11:29:35 AM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)

To: grellis

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
The more wet T shirts the better!

150 posted on 09/30/2012 11:37:00 AM PDT by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 136 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-202 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson