Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

What Is Your Favorite Wine Under $10 a Bottle
10/6/12 | randita

Posted on 10/06/2012 12:11:29 PM PDT by randita

I'm looking for some new wine to try but don't want to break the bank. I'm tired of the same old, same old that I always buy.

I know there are a lot of regional wineries which produce limited amounts of affordable wine, but it would be most helpful to have suggestions of wine that can be obtained nationally.

Thanks and cheers!

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Food
KEYWORDS: vanity; wine
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-169 next last
To: randita

Try the Merlot from the Cul-De-Sac wine company.

101 posted on 10/06/2012 2:09:47 PM PDT by 353FMG (The US Constitution is only as effective as those who enforce it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

102 posted on 10/06/2012 2:12:52 PM PDT by Manic_Episode (Some days...it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....)

To: mdittmar

“BTTT”
Love it!

103 posted on 10/06/2012 2:13:01 PM PDT by Doulos1 (Bitter Clinger Forever!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: ScottinVA

“Yellow Tail cabernet sauvignon works for me.”

I don’t like Yellow Tail, either, along with the other Australian wines mentioned. I’ve tried them, thinking they’d really taste like their Australian counterparts, but they don’t. Not that it’s necessarily a bad wine, it’s just so very different. It’s kind of like the joke about Foster’s Lager- they export it to the U.S. because it’s crap and no one in Australia will drink it. The only relatively inexpensive Australian wines that taste close to the same for me are Rosemont and Lindemans. Yellow Tail, Smoking Loon, Barefoot...I’ve tried them all and they were disappointing and not worth the price. I won’t buy them even when they’re on sale. I’ll go with something from Chile or Argentina. Apparently I became a wine snob. I guess that’s what happens when the fast food courts sell wine with lunch and lunch at a real restaurant involves at least 2 bottles of wine. My 5 year old got a loyalty card from the wine shop at the age of 5 because they also sold chocolate. I was quite the light weight in comparison to the Kiwis and Aussies. I knew a Aussie Naval Commander that taught his kid to walk by holding out his beer.

104 posted on 10/06/2012 2:14:07 PM PDT by pops88 (Standing with Breitbart for truth)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

To: Dr. Bogus Pachysandra; heylady
I don’t drink wine though. In 20 minutes I’ll have a terrible headache. Same with grape juice

FYI... Red wine headache ("RWH") is a headache often accompanied by nausea and flushing that occurs in many people after drinking even a single glass of red wine. This syndrome can sometimes develop within 15 minutes of consumption of the wine. Red wine tends to have more histamines (which cause blood vein constriction...versus anti histamines which is contained in many cold/allergy meds) in it than white wine does. This is because white wine is made without skin contact, while red wines sit with the skins for a while to get their red color.

105 posted on 10/06/2012 2:14:46 PM PDT by Stand Watch Listen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

To: ronnie raygun

Ripple and thunderbird are my favorite....

106 posted on 10/06/2012 2:15:43 PM PDT by JoanneSD
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Liquid crack

107 posted on 10/06/2012 2:15:57 PM PDT by Hoodat ("As for God, His way is perfect" - Psalm 18:30)

To: ronnie raygun

Ripple and thunderbird are my favorite....

108 posted on 10/06/2012 2:15:57 PM PDT by JoanneSD
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

14 Hands - Hot To Trot.

109 posted on 10/06/2012 2:21:42 PM PDT by irishtenor (Everything in moderation, however, too much whiskey is just enough... Mark Twain)

To: Stand Watch Listen

Another FYI - Some people have negative reactions to the sulfides found in wines, red or white. I am so glad I don’t have that problem. However, I would save money if I did.

110 posted on 10/06/2012 2:23:12 PM PDT by Kalam (<: The answer is 42 :>)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 105 | View Replies]

I like the grape flavors quite a bit.

111 posted on 10/06/2012 2:23:31 PM PDT by AD from SpringBay (We deserve the government we allow.)

To: thefactor

I like Kendall Jackson chardonnay as well. Here in Washington it is sometimes 10.00 a bottle if one buys six at a time.

Also Edna Valley chardonnay. Similar price, similar California oaked flavor.

112 posted on 10/06/2012 2:24:48 PM PDT by angry elephant (Endangered species in Seattle)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Hoodat

Red Cat - Hazlitt Winery - Hector, NY, Finger Lakes. Also know as “Hector Horny Juice.”

113 posted on 10/06/2012 2:25:20 PM PDT by ez (When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 107 | View Replies]

To: bigheadfred

As a teen we drank night train one night and to this day can remember how nasty and bad the hangover was.

114 posted on 10/06/2012 2:25:57 PM PDT by Vision ("Did I not say to you that if you would believe, you would see the glory of God?" John 11:40)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: Stand Watch Listen

Very interesting! Thanks! And with my lifelong sinus problems? I need anti-histamines.

115 posted on 10/06/2012 2:27:02 PM PDT by Dr. Bogus Pachysandra ( Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 105 | View Replies]

To: Hoodat

http://redcatwine.com/

116 posted on 10/06/2012 2:27:48 PM PDT by ez (When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 107 | View Replies]

Bump for later reference

117 posted on 10/06/2012 2:28:24 PM PDT by sjm_888

To: DollyCali

I grabbed a pie from Romeo’s for lunch. Had a coupon.

118 posted on 10/06/2012 2:28:33 PM PDT by Dr. Bogus Pachysandra ( Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 99 | View Replies]

To: AD from SpringBay
Ah, grapes only-another wine snob. What do you have against wines made from watermelon, dandilions or high bush cranberries, to name just a few?
119 posted on 10/06/2012 2:31:36 PM PDT by Kalam (<: The answer is 42 :>)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 111 | View Replies]

Red Mountain or Thunderbird. Better by the gallon.
120 posted on 10/06/2012 2:34:50 PM PDT by MasterGunner01

Australian Table Wines
121 posted on 10/06/2012 2:37:32 PM PDT by Gay State Conservative (Ambassador Stevens Is Dead And The Chevy Volt Is Alive)

Fruity OK?

I like a Gewurztraminer or Reisling, Gray Aussie .. Costco carries the Gewurz ,

.. not sure about the Reisling and availability, quite a few good ones out there, I reckun. happy testing. :-}.

122 posted on 10/06/2012 2:41:34 PM PDT by NormsRevenge (Semper Fi)

To: Vision; MikeSteelBe

I always steered clear of the bum wines. Boone’s farm was about it as a kid. And I haven’t had a drink of wine since the early 1990’s.

123 posted on 10/06/2012 2:44:49 PM PDT by bigheadfred (wowza)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 114 | View Replies]

There are some pretty good box wines, too. I like Botta Box Old Vine Zin and Pinot Grigio.

124 posted on 10/06/2012 2:45:24 PM PDT by EnquiringMind

Stretch $10 into any Syrah or Zin (also Pinot or Chardonnay) from Paso Robles, CA...Central Coast...simply the BEST new wine region since Napa.

125 posted on 10/06/2012 2:49:15 PM PDT by Kaneman (Santorum prevails, come hither and yon...)

Dynamite Merlot. $8.98 at Kroger. A good California wine for the price.

126 posted on 10/06/2012 2:52:50 PM PDT by Georgia Girl 2 (The only purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should never have dropped.)

To: Kalam

“What do you have against wines made from watermelon, dandilions or high bush cranberries, to name just a few?”

When I was in college, I had a friend that worked for the city, which included grave digging. He made dandelion wine from the dandelions he had to cut in the grave yard. It was pretty good stuff. My husband is working in the Middle East. I’m just hoping I won’t have to be picking up grape juice, conveniently next the sugar, at local market and monopolizing a bath tub.

127 posted on 10/06/2012 3:05:46 PM PDT by pops88 (Standing with Breitbart for truth)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 119 | View Replies]

To: phormer phrog phlyer; randita

I agree with the Winking Owl recommendation, although I prefer the Shiraz. Hadn’t had any in awhile and was so pleased when I had my first sip this evening. 8 )

Red Guitar (Food Lion runs it on special for about 10 bucks on occasion) is an extremely smooth red blend. Love it!

128 posted on 10/06/2012 3:51:13 PM PDT by dubyagee ("I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 93 | View Replies]

Elena Bodega Malbec. About 7 bucks. Excellent value.

129 posted on 10/06/2012 4:38:06 PM PDT by Lurker (Violence is rarely the answer. But when it is it is the only answer.)

Gazela Vinho Verde -- great bargain at $7.99/bottle.

130 posted on 10/06/2012 4:41:24 PM PDT by Renfield (Turning apples into venison since 1999!)

To: Kalam

For a long time I couldn’t drink wines because I was allergic to sulfites; they made me itch like crazy. I seem to have gotten over that allergy, though, and now have a pretty good wine collection.

131 posted on 10/06/2012 4:46:46 PM PDT by Renfield (Turning apples into venison since 1999!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 110 | View Replies]

Oliver Winery’s Honey Camelot Mead. Under $10 750 ml. and they ship.

132 posted on 10/06/2012 5:19:44 PM PDT by count-your-change (You don't have to be brilliant, not being stupid is enough.)

To: bigheadfred

“I always steered clear of the bum wines. Boone’s farm was about it as a kid.”

I had the “Mad Dog” (MD 20/20) a couple times myself when I was a school on my part time minimum-wage budget.

The reviews on bumwine.com are hilarious (to me, anyway).

133 posted on 10/06/2012 5:39:43 PM PDT by MikeSteelBe (Austrian Hitler was, as the Halfrican Hitler does.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 123 | View Replies]

To: onedoug; windcliff

ping

134 posted on 10/06/2012 5:44:04 PM PDT by stylecouncilor (Bazinga!)

"Blue Heron", a Riesling from St Julian winery, and the white Demi Sec from Tabor hill wineries both From SW Michigan. both are semi sweet, crisp and reasonably priced.

CC

135 posted on 10/06/2012 5:45:26 PM PDT by Celtic Conservative (Q: how did you find America? A: turn left at Greenland)

I haven't had much luck with under $10 wines but then again, I'm sort of a snob when it comes to alcoholic beverages. For instance, I will never drink Budweiser or store brand liquor of any kind.

For wine, $15-20 price is the sweet spot for me. Anything over $20 is a rarity with my middle class income but there are countless great wines in that $15 to $20 price range.

There is a wine that can usually be found for around $12-13 that I am very fond of and it is Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel. I've been drinking it for years and have yet to run into a bad bottle. Holds up well with long storage at room temperature so it's durable as well. Great value.

136 posted on 10/06/2012 5:57:05 PM PDT by SamAdams76

I think this is the first wine thread i’ve ever seen. Yay!

Anyway, I’ve been stuck on chianti’s for the last few years.

The ones i’ve been happy with are EccoDomani,Bella Sera, and
Bolla (also valpollacella and bardolino).

Also,try Apothic Red. Its a California blend and delicious!
Alittle sweeter that the aforementioned reds. Salute!!

137 posted on 10/06/2012 6:11:43 PM PDT by americas.best.days...

Rheinhessen Sweet Red from Aldi. Best red I’ve ever had. The Mosel Reisling is pretty good, as well.

138 posted on 10/06/2012 6:14:14 PM PDT by PAR35

A few seasonal (Halloween) possibilities:

Vampire Wine (wait for a sale to buy for under $10)

Witch's Brew Wine (available at Walmart)
   :-)

Moonshine Mason Jar Wine Glass (a bit over $10)

139 posted on 10/06/2012 6:50:10 PM PDT by Heart-Rest (God Bless America)

Apothic

or

Barefoot red Zin

140 posted on 10/06/2012 6:50:36 PM PDT by DTogo (High time to bring back the Sons of Liberty !!)

To: All

Cecchi Chianti Classico is usually a good value as is Gabbiano chianti.

141 posted on 10/06/2012 7:07:48 PM PDT by randita
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 140 | View Replies]

To: nanetteclaret

Columbia Crest Grand Estates make a good wine. I keep them in my cellar and in the laundry room fridge, along with other wines. That is my wine cooler. The fridge had to be adapted to hold the wines and champaigns. It’s neat.

142 posted on 10/06/2012 7:17:53 PM PDT by tillacum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies]

To: jeffc

I’ve not seen that one, who makes it?

143 posted on 10/06/2012 7:19:26 PM PDT by tillacum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

To: tillacum
I’ve not seen that one, who makes it? [white merlot]

Beringer makes the best one I've had. There's only a few who do. Sutter Home, and (I think) Woodbridge. I think there's a Mondavi label that makes one, too.

144 posted on 10/06/2012 7:59:46 PM PDT by jeffc (The U.S. media are our enemy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 143 | View Replies]

To: beaversmom

Self ping for later perusal.

145 posted on 10/06/2012 10:50:37 PM PDT by beaversmom

To: jeffc

Thank you, I’ll look for it. I prefer a pretty dry wine, and use the “sweet” ones for a dessert..

I like and agree with your tagline.

146 posted on 10/07/2012 7:53:29 AM PDT by tillacum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 144 | View Replies]

While I *used* to buy wines in the $10. range, it almost impossible to find really good $10. bottles....that you would buy again.

I especially like the *Tohu* branded Chards and Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand. Consistently bright and slightly sweet. They are running between $12. and $14./bottle. [sometimes they are on *sale*].

If you have a hang-up about buying wines only from the USA...I’d suggest the selections from Washington state...especially Chateau Ste Michelle, Snoqualmie, or Columbia Crest. I’d put up Chateau Ste Michelle’s Rieslings against anything from Europe.

Check out the selections in your wine purveyor from Argentina and Chile.......often good buys and excellent full-bodied reds. I find once you find a brand you like from SA....you can’t find it again.....consistent stocks are hard to find, in some cases...I miss finding Argentine *Trumpter* reds, pinots.

The *BEST* wine I ever had was a Saint Clair from Marlborough NZ [’04 Sauv Blanc] ...IIRC, Wine Spectator rated it a 98 that year.

We make a run every month to *no-tax* NH for booze, cigs and fireworks....it’s what we do. :)

147 posted on 10/07/2012 8:30:14 AM PDT by Daffynition (Self-respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious. ~ HLM)

To: Dr. Bogus Pachysandra

I used to get *RWH* too...and discovered that if I sip a lot of ice water between sips of red....the headache never develops....seems to dilute the tannins. Either that, or don’t drink half of grape products produced....that’s a depressing thought. :(

148 posted on 10/07/2012 8:35:51 AM PDT by Daffynition (Self-respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious. ~ HLM)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

To: Daffynition

We should share a glass and talk. New Zealand whites and a BBQ...talk about a lost week-end! Thank God I’m not lactose intolerant and love sausage and very rare beef. The first BBQ I went to I was nearly falling down on the floor saying, “that’s really good punch.” They were all laughing at me- “idiot, it’s white wine with peach Schnapps.”

149 posted on 10/07/2012 9:04:24 AM PDT by pops88 (Standing with Breitbart for truth)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 147 | View Replies]

To: Heart-Rest
We have a surprise from Connecticut! A small start-up from Manchester is making 80-proof moonshine! It's called Onyx. Moonshine Moves Out of the Mason Jar.

I've not tried it yet. Fun stuff to see young entrepreneurs off to such a good start in life, especially in this economy.

150 posted on 10/07/2012 9:06:16 AM PDT by Daffynition (Self-respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious. ~ HLM)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 139 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-150151-169 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson