Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

What Do You Use To Clean Your Firearms?
Vanity | 10/11/12 | Randy Larsen

Posted on 10/11/2012 2:56:24 PM PDT by Randy Larsen

Free Republic has had many vanities about which gun to buy. I'm wondering what gun cleaning supplies do you depend on to protect your expensive firearms.

TOPICS: Education; Hobbies; Outdoors
KEYWORDS: banglist; defense; firearms; guncleaning; guns; hunting
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-104 next last
To: JRandomFreeper

I tried Hoppes #9 for aftershave. Found myself surrounded by a bunch of fat, bearded guys. Went back to soap & a double edge razor, followed by water...

51 posted on 10/11/2012 3:53:32 PM PDT by Mr Rogers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Mr Rogers
LOL!

All of my ex-wives loved the smell of Hoppes.

/johnny

52 posted on 10/11/2012 3:55:10 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

To: Randy Larsen

I use Hoppes #9 on the bore and then Breakfree CLP on the bore and bolt.
I use Ezzox on the finish.

53 posted on 10/11/2012 3:56:46 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

After disassembly, I start with Hoppes® #9 for the small parts. I have a tiny glass baby food jar full of Hoppes that all small parts like pins and springs get dropped into to soak while I take care of the bigger hunks:

Bench Rest-9 Copper Solvent for bores fouled by copper jackets, usually longer barrels with fast twist rates.

Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner for typical cleaning. I also usually smooth a light coating of this stuff over the external receiver and then let it sit. This stuff is a soap as much as it is a solvent.

After the bore cleaners/solvent soak for awhile according to manufacturer instructions, I blast the stripped barreled receiver with high pressure hot water in the laundry room tub, using water at max temp for a long enough time so that the water is almost completely dried off by the metal's surface temperature. The water is very hot here as the water heater is just a few feet away, so I use kitchen gloves.

I then use a Hoppes® BoreSnake the bore several times, run a dry clean patch down the bore to confirm its clean, and then lube one last patch sopping wet with MP Pro 7 gun oil and push it down the bore twice.

I spot dry the remaining water with compressed air out of the nooks and crannies, and then depending on the firearm finish:

I then lubricate the internal parts with MP-Pro 7 or BreakFree® out of the pressurized spray can and reassemble after towel/air drying the small parts that have been soaking. Pistol slides get greased with 'Slide Glide' or Weapon Shield grease, whichever I happen to have in my cleaning box.

Polished stainless steel finishes sometimes get re-polished after cleaning with 'Mothers® Metal Polish Mag and Aluminum' using a microfiber terrycloth towel to apply and remove. Nothing in the world beats Mother's for high bright shine on polished smooth stainless steel surfaces.

Lastly, I use a dry clean lint free cloth to remove excess lubricant. The blue steel guns that I don't fire too often, I leave the Barricade on pretty wet and store everything back in the safe with the barrel in an upright position.

I don't have many guns with classic wood furniture, but for those that do I use a more traditional cleaning method rather than the solvent + pressurized hot water treatment I normally use.

54 posted on 10/11/2012 3:57:52 PM PDT by The KG9 Kid (Semper Fi)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Randy Larsen; humblegunner

Glocks = dishwasher

55 posted on 10/11/2012 4:02:41 PM PDT by Eaker (Stripping Americans of their freedom and dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea.)

To: Mr Rogers

LOL!

56 posted on 10/11/2012 4:02:43 PM PDT by Randy Larsen (Aim small, Miss small.)

I first clean with WD-40. Then after I am done, I place the firearm in the hot sun to make it warm, and heat a jar of Petroleum jelly which I then smear all over the metal and down the bore.

Never had rust and when I finally dredge mine up from the deep corner of the lake, where I had my boating accident, I am sure it will still be clean and workable.

For corrosive primers and black powder I first clean with soap and water through the bore, then WD-40 followed by petroleum jelly.

57 posted on 10/11/2012 4:08:33 PM PDT by Ruy Dias de Bivar

To: B-Cause

***The PIG FAT is transferred to anything the BULLETS STRIKE.***

In the book TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST a sailor tells the author to keep his knife in a sheath of fresh pig skin. That way it will never rust.

58 posted on 10/11/2012 4:11:02 PM PDT by Ruy Dias de Bivar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: Eaker

You know I don’t trust dishwashers.

I just hose it out and leave it in the sun for a couple hours.

It’s a Glock, it don’t care.

59 posted on 10/11/2012 4:19:51 PM PDT by humblegunner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

I got a GLOCK 19. I open the slide and put in on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Works fine.

60 posted on 10/11/2012 4:20:56 PM PDT by timlilje

To: mylife

Eezox protects my blued Dan Wesson 44 in Everglades humidity, rains, etc.

Super stuff, indeed. The owner of a gun shop on northern Key largo told me he uses it on a gate opener chain. Years later, it is still rust free!

PS Minus Eezox, that non-SS chain would have rusted away/frozen solid in a few months.

Eezox works.

61 posted on 10/11/2012 4:21:10 PM PDT by GladesGuru (In a society predicated upon freedom, it is necessary to examine principles."...the public interest)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 53 | View Replies]

Hoppes, and occasionally some WD-40. Sometimes some 3-in-1 oil too.

62 posted on 10/11/2012 4:25:49 PM PDT by GenXteacher (You have chosen dishonor to avoid war; you shall have war also.)

To: GladesGuru

I have used a little in outdoor locks to good effect.

63 posted on 10/11/2012 4:29:47 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies]

Sweets:

Hoppes #9:

Hoppes #9 Copper:

64 posted on 10/11/2012 4:32:29 PM PDT by CodeToad (Padme: "So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause.")

Hoppes oil on the action parts:

Hoppes Benchrest on all other parts inside and out, light coating and wipe down.

65 posted on 10/11/2012 4:38:11 PM PDT by CodeToad (Padme: "So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause.")

I like RB-17 bore cleaner. It’s a very good crud cutter — lead and copper. Here: http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?pid=1002651&ret_id=139995

66 posted on 10/11/2012 4:39:23 PM PDT by MasterGunner01

Yes.

Mpro-7 works better than anything else I’ve used on carbon fouling and plastic build-up in shotguns. It doesn’t take out copper fouling as well as Sweets or 7.62.

For heavily fouled revolvers and shotguns, MPro-7 works quite well. Slather it on and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Unlike the ammonia-based copper removers, you don’t need to worry about Mpro-7 etching your bore.

I’d say that with Hoppe’s #9, MPro-7 and Sweets or 7.62, most shooters should be able to clean anything.

67 posted on 10/11/2012 4:46:08 PM PDT by NVDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: CodeToad

68 posted on 10/11/2012 4:50:42 PM PDT by Delta 21 (Oh Crap !! Did I say that out loud ??!??)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

To: NVDave; Randy Larsen
Randy, NVDave had a good post here:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2927117/posts?page=49#49

about this subject.

69 posted on 10/11/2012 4:58:36 PM PDT by MileHi ( "It's coming down to patriots vs the politicians." - ovrtaxt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 67 | View Replies]

To: Delta 21

Where can I get one!

70 posted on 10/11/2012 5:12:00 PM PDT by mylife (The Roar Of The Masses Could Be Farts)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 68 | View Replies]

There are a lot of hyped and over hyped products out so I stick to the basics. Eezox as a solvent and rust preventative. I use VFG pellets and foaming bore cleaners unless I have a copper or lead build up issue then I use solvents specifically for those problems. I use gun butter for guns that like it wet and eezox for guns that like it dry. I can't say enough about Eezox, it's a great product and my wife likes the smell better than Hoppes.
71 posted on 10/11/2012 5:32:29 PM PDT by Durus (You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality. Ayn Rand)

To: B-Cause

Makes a great Christmas present for your hard to buy for friends.

72 posted on 10/11/2012 5:55:45 PM PDT by AZ .44 MAG (Repeal Obama)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

I like the Hoppes Semi-Auto solvent to clean the barrel and use FrogLube on just about everything else, but usually put some synthetic grease on the high wear areas of my ARs.

73 posted on 10/11/2012 10:42:27 PM PDT by smokingfrog ( sleep with one eye open (<o> ---)

As much as I love the smell of Hoppe’s #9, I use M-PRO-7. It will clean away gunk from what you thought was a clean barrel.

74 posted on 10/12/2012 12:22:01 AM PDT by Redcloak (A founding member of Drunkards for Romney)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: The KG9 Kid

Damn....I’m impressed.

75 posted on 10/12/2012 4:37:48 AM PDT by Tainan (Cogito, ergo conservatus sum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

I had an AK-47(before the boat accident) that NEVER needed “cleaning”!

76 posted on 10/12/2012 6:16:56 AM PDT by US Navy Vet (Go Packers! Go Rockies! Go Boston Bruins! See, I'm "Diverse"!)

To: ButThreeLeftsDo

Wipe Out brushless bore cleaner is the best stuff for rifles, and less messy. Use Break Free for lube, etc. The two best things for cleaning gun parts, carbon, etc is automotive BrakeKleen and Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner with very hot water. On semi autos, it’s hard to beat a good cleanup with BrakeKleen followed by scrubbing bubbles and hot water, and lube with Break Free.

The Wipe out is a foam, spray it down the bore, and leave it overnight. Just use a patch in the morning, great for copper jacket fouling. On rifles that I shoot a lot, a once or twice a year scrubbing with JB bore paste is good for ground in powder fouling.

77 posted on 10/12/2012 6:50:16 AM PDT by nobamanomore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

One(1)GI issue canteen slowly emptied down the barrel.
One patch to dry.
One patch to confirm cleanliness.
One patch to oil heavily (I am a believer in heavy oil)

I shoot black powder with cast boolits so it is much easier to clean than the jacketed, modern powder stuff. The cleaning takes maybe a minute or minute and a half.

78 posted on 10/12/2012 6:52:26 AM PDT by buffaloguy

To: Mr Rogers; Eaker; humblegunner; TheMom; LUV W; TheOldLady; onyx; BuckeyeTexan; mylife; NYTexan; ...
What Do You Use To Clean Your Firearms?

My tongue.

Same as everyone else at the Texas Cowboy Memorial Shoot. After the range, we all went back to the cottages, and licked our guns clean like a momma cat licks her kittens.

79 posted on 10/12/2012 7:01:05 AM PDT by Lazamataz (WAAAAAAAAAHHHhhhhh.....)

To: Lazamataz; Eaker; humblegunner; TheMom; LUV W; TheOldLady; onyx; BuckeyeTexan; mylife; NYTexan; ...
My tongue.

Same as everyone else at the Texas Cowboy Memorial Shoot. After the range, we all went back to the cottages, and licked our guns clean like a momma cat licks her kittens.

I like to use bacon grease as a lubricant. It makes the gun lickin that much better.

80 posted on 10/12/2012 9:07:55 AM PDT by Bacon Man (I like big booms and I can not lie ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

To: Bacon Man

Wish we had thought of that.

81 posted on 10/12/2012 9:10:01 AM PDT by Lazamataz (WAAAAAAAAAHHHhhhhh.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 80 | View Replies]

To: Randy Larsen; Lazamataz
Hoppes? Yes, the technology has definitely changed ... since we discovered Dierdre!

Dierdre Imus cleans guns good -

She's Clean, Green ... and doesn't mind getting down into the nooks and crannies
no matter what age your firearm is.

She's a little spendy but well worth it ... Just ask Don!

82 posted on 10/12/2012 10:29:22 AM PDT by Liberty Valance (Keep a simple manner for a happy life :o)

To: Lazamataz

LOLOLOL.
I missed seeing you do that!

83 posted on 10/12/2012 10:47:34 AM PDT by onyx (FREE REPUBLIC IS HERE TO STAY! DONATE MONTHLY! IF YOU WANT ON SARAH PALIN''S PING LIST, LET ME KNOW)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

To: onyx

:)

It would have been great Classic Freeper Video.... :)

84 posted on 10/12/2012 10:50:39 AM PDT by Lazamataz (WAAAAAAAAAHHHhhhhh.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

To: Bacon Man; LUV W; Lazamataz; penelopesire
LOL & ^5
YOUR bacon is heavenly! (Gee, I hope nobody takes this wrong). I am referencing the heavenly sugar, cayenne bacon!
85 posted on 10/12/2012 10:51:17 AM PDT by onyx (FREE REPUBLIC IS HERE TO STAY! DONATE MONTHLY! IF YOU WANT ON SARAH PALIN''S PING LIST, LET ME KNOW)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 80 | View Replies]

Next year!
LOLOLOLOL.

86 posted on 10/12/2012 10:52:00 AM PDT by onyx (FREE REPUBLIC IS HERE TO STAY! DONATE MONTHLY! IF YOU WANT ON SARAH PALIN''S PING LIST, LET ME KNOW)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 84 | View Replies]

Bookmark.

87 posted on 10/12/2012 10:52:12 AM PDT by The Cajun (Sarah Palin, Mark Levin......Nuff said.)

To: humblegunner
The thing I've found works best with the Mosins is to plug one end with a rubber stopper, fill the barrel with Hoppes, stand it on end in a bucket and leave it overnight.
88 posted on 10/12/2012 10:53:50 AM PDT by wagglebee ("A political party cannot be all things to all people." -- Ronald Reagan, 3/1/75)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

One should exercise caution when tongue cleaning the follower of the M1 Garand. Garand tongue is far worse than Garand thumb.

89 posted on 10/12/2012 10:57:31 AM PDT by Bacon Man (I like big booms and I can not lie ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

To: Bacon Man
One should exercise caution when tongue cleaning the follower of the M1 Garand. Garand tongue is far worse than Garand thumb.

Oh, don't I know it. I ended up needing extensive dental work after cleaning my DCM Garand.

90 posted on 10/12/2012 11:02:34 AM PDT by Lazamataz (WAAAAAAAAAHHHhhhhh.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 89 | View Replies]

To: wagglebee

I might try that, right now it would use more Hoppes than I have.

I just fired it last weekend, this time I’m adjusting the technique:

1. Hot soapy water brush, repeat, oil. Leave overnight.
2. Oil brush, repeat, oil. Leave overnight.
3. Bore cleaner patch, repeat several, oil. Leave overnight.
4. Repeat #3, case and store.

We shall see.

91 posted on 10/12/2012 11:11:43 AM PDT by humblegunner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 88 | View Replies]

You know I don’t trust dishwashers.

It was hard, but I did find one that I can trust. She is the love of my life. And she can cook!

92 posted on 10/12/2012 11:12:12 AM PDT by NationalistVisionary (Who will be America's Charles Martel?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies]

Oh, don't I know it. I ended up needing extensive dental work after cleaning my DCM Garand.

The worst part is ... I keep doing it. It's just sooo tasty!

93 posted on 10/12/2012 11:49:27 AM PDT by Bacon Man (I like big booms and I can not lie ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

I'm not actually sure they even need to be cleaned.

I've got a friend who has never done anything more than put a bore snake through his and hasn't had a problem with over 5000 rounds.

94 posted on 10/12/2012 1:03:35 PM PDT by wagglebee ("A political party cannot be all things to all people." -- Ronald Reagan, 3/1/75)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

Well, if them Mosey’s were delicate we wouldn’t still be firing them 70 years later.

It just nags at me when I have a weapon with a grubby barrel.

95 posted on 10/12/2012 1:11:56 PM PDT by humblegunner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

I think it has something to do with the grease the commies had them in for decades.
96 posted on 10/12/2012 1:15:17 PM PDT by wagglebee ("A political party cannot be all things to all people." -- Ronald Reagan, 3/1/75)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

I’d llike to know what we can use to clean Obama’s clock.

97 posted on 10/12/2012 1:39:24 PM PDT by IM2MAD
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

To: humblegunner; mylife; Lazamataz
I’ve tried Hoppes, soapy vasser, bore cleaner, Windex.. I’m still cleaning the thing for a week until I give up.

I used Butch's Bore Shine and 338 brush to finally get a MN clean.

I'm not sure about Laz's method...

98 posted on 10/12/2012 6:33:54 PM PDT by Professional Engineer (I know Lazamataz. Lazamataz is a friend of mine. You senator are no Lazamataz.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: IM2MAD
I’d like to know what we can use to clean Obama’s clock.

99 posted on 10/12/2012 10:04:24 PM PDT by smokingfrog ( sleep with one eye open (<o> ---)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 97 | View Replies]

I have used EDTA and acetonitrile dissolved in ethanol for years; stopper the chamber, fill the bore and leave in a very well ventilated area (read outside) WD40 in the morning as the ethanol usually comes from distilled spirits.

100 posted on 10/13/2012 7:25:49 AM PDT by hockea (1z2z)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-104 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson