Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

What does "OBAMA LOCK UNDER 10 STATES" Mean?

Posted on 10/13/2012 11:09:56 AM PDT by klimeckg

What does Drudge mean by this "OBAMA LOCK UNDER 10 STATES" Mean? Can someone put this in laymans terms for me? Thanks.

TOPICS: Chit/Chat
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101 next last
To: JediJones

All you need to do is compare today’s stats with those of two weeks ago to see the significance.

51 posted on 10/13/2012 11:47:37 AM PDT by comebacknewt (Newt (sigh) what could have been . . .)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

To: badpacifist

Oregon only leans and may move to toss up soon.

52 posted on 10/13/2012 11:48:13 AM PDT by bray (Islam- A billion medieval savages can't be wrong!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: klimeckg

Too bad it isn’t “OBAMA UNDER LOCK”.

53 posted on 10/13/2012 11:48:32 AM PDT by Fresh Wind (If Obama is an empty chair, then Biden is the whoopee cushion.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

It means that Romney will win 330-400 electoral votes. that is not the prize though. We need to get the senate. Probably 52-57 R senators.

54 posted on 10/13/2012 11:50:28 AM PDT by GilGil

To: Paladin2
How does DC get 3 electoral votes?

I don't like it, probably passed through congress and not a constitutional amendment...

Wyoming has a population of 568,158, and DC has a population of 617,996, so I suppose it's reasonable.

I suppose a few of our Republican "friends" voted for it.
55 posted on 10/13/2012 11:51:41 AM PDT by frankenMonkey (will do graphics for food...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: campaignPete R-CT
nj or Del

Definitely both. Here in NJ, it almost always goes D. Which is strange since we have several Republican counties.

56 posted on 10/13/2012 11:52:46 AM PDT by Focault's Pendulum (Romney has run a business, an Olympics, and a state. Obama has never run anything but his mouth.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Crimson Elephant

10 states with high levels of insanity

57 posted on 10/13/2012 11:52:46 AM PDT by molson209
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: frankenMonkey

DC got 3 electoral votes as a result of the 23rd Amendment. The first time DC got electoral votes was in the 1964 election.

That amendment awards DC electoral votes as if it were a state, but not more than the least populous state.

So it was a constitutional amendment.

Some want to make DC a state. Can you imagine that? There would be 2 automatic liberal Democrat senators always, plus a liberal Democrat congressman always.

58 posted on 10/13/2012 11:54:32 AM PDT by Dilbert San Diego
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

23rd Amendment
The Twenty-third Amendment (Amendment XXIII) to the United States Constitution permits citizens in the District of Columbia to vote for Electors for President and Vice President. The amendment was proposed by Congress on June 17, 1960, and ratified by the states on March 29, 1961. The first Presidential election in which it was in effect was the presidential election of 1964. Prior to the passage of the amendment, residents of Washington, D.C. were forbidden from voting for President or Vice President as the District is not a U.S. state. However, they are still unable to send voting Representatives or Senators to Congress.

The amendment restricts the district to the number of Electors of the least populous state, irrespective of its own population. As of 2011, that state is Wyoming, which has three Electors. However, even without this clause, the district's present population would only entitle it to three Electors. Since the passage of this amendment, the District's electoral votes have gone towards the Democratic candidates in every presidential election.[1]

59 posted on 10/13/2012 11:56:25 AM PDT by Reily (l)

What are you talking about? In the past Obama supposedly had a “lock” on 300 Electoral Votes in the poll averages, no matter what side one is on, the polls are clearly moving Romney’s way to the point that it is not ASSUMED that Obama is winning. His FLOOR is now Ten states, it doesn’t mean that he will win only 10 states, but that is now his FLOOR.

Why is this so hard to understand?

60 posted on 10/13/2012 11:57:13 AM PDT by Crimson Elephant

To: Fiji Hill
Doesn't look like he'll (obama) lose Va. and NC, he's leading in Fla., and is drawing big crowds in Ohio.

please go back to sleep, we will have someone wake you up on nov. 7

61 posted on 10/13/2012 11:58:25 AM PDT by kingattax (99 % of liberals give the rest a bad name)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

"Wyoming has a population of 568,158, and DC has a population of 617,996, so I suppose it's reasonable. "

Naw, DC is too small in acreage and oil/gas production to count separately from MD.

62 posted on 10/13/2012 11:59:41 AM PDT by Paladin2

To: SMGFan

http://www.unskewedpolls.com/

63 posted on 10/13/2012 12:03:02 PM PDT by Salamander (Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

“We need to give DC back to Maryland.”

OH NO WE DON’T!

We’ve already got enough of their overflow freaks, thanks.

64 posted on 10/13/2012 12:04:24 PM PDT by Salamander (Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.)

To: Pru
It means that Obama has less than 10 states that he can count on.

Plus, of course, the 17 states that Soros owned Scytl is counting the votes for in Spain...

65 posted on 10/13/2012 12:07:01 PM PDT by null and void (Day 1362 of our ObamaVacation from reality - Obama, a queer and present danger)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Where is the media on this?

66 posted on 10/13/2012 12:07:51 PM PDT by klimeckg ("The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.")

To: HereInTheHeartland

ROFLMAO !!!

67 posted on 10/13/2012 12:08:26 PM PDT by 11th_VA (Keep your laws OFF my Big Gulp !)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: chemical_boy

We are so very saddened to be part of this Obama list—California. To think we produced Reagan. Now we are mindlessly Democrat—ALL the time. Mostly Los Angeles and San Francisco areas, but the rest of us conservative areas suffer for the mindlessness of the millions in those two cities.

68 posted on 10/13/2012 12:09:56 PM PDT by georgiegirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Rass needs to get off his butt and start moving most of those toss-ups over to leans Romney.

69 posted on 10/13/2012 12:11:27 PM PDT by Hammerhead

To: Fiji Hill; kingattax

What planet are you on or are you a Obozo/DU Troll? If so ozone amplification can be arranged. What do you call this?

Latest Virgina Poll:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2943769/posts

Bad news for Obozo in VA, FLA and NC:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2942594/posts

Latest Florida Polls:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2944168/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2943789/posts

Romney drawing huge crowds in suburban Cleveland:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2944339/posts

70 posted on 10/13/2012 12:13:51 PM PDT by DarthVader (Politicians govern out of self interest, Statesmen govern for a Vision greater than themselves)

It’s not hard to understand. I know the polls are moving in Romney’s direction. All I’m saying is the headline makes it sound worse for Obama than it is when you drill down and see Romney has a lock on even less electoral votes.

Anyway, maybe Drudge got tired of us arguing about it because the headline’s gone now. ;)

71 posted on 10/13/2012 12:13:51 PM PDT by JediJones (ROMNEY/RYAN: TURNAROUND ARTISTS ***** OBAMA/BIDEN: BULL $HIT ARTISTS)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

To: georgiegirl

Obama continues to slide on intrade:

Now below 59% and falling.
http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=743475

72 posted on 10/13/2012 12:14:37 PM PDT by Cringing Negativism Network (America doesn't need any new laws. America needs freedom!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 68 | View Replies]

To: null and void

in a true election, without fraud, and including all the military votes that have been prevented,
Obama would certainly win less than 10 states.
-
...and at the rate he’s imploding, it still could happen!

73 posted on 10/13/2012 12:14:48 PM PDT by Elendur (It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. - Thomas Jefferson)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

To: All
Keep up the pressure folks! Talked to a person yesterday who was undecided because she is too busy with her small business to follow the news. Gave her my spiel on Obama and she said, "He sounds pretty scary for another four years." Hope she'll vote R/R now. Also told her my spiel on the MSM. . and mentioned FReep!
74 posted on 10/13/2012 12:15:05 PM PDT by Art in Idaho (Conservatism is the only hope for Western Civilization.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

It means Obama has been travelling the country trying to figure out what happened to his gym lock.

75 posted on 10/13/2012 12:15:17 PM PDT by x

To: georgiegirl

I hear ya! Same here in MI my vote never matters. I know they are saying leaning slightly red but I’m not getting my hopes up. Been down this road before:(

76 posted on 10/13/2012 12:15:52 PM PDT by Michigander222
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 68 | View Replies]

To: Signalman

Gosh...I love the South!

77 posted on 10/13/2012 12:16:32 PM PDT by Irenic (The pencil sharpener and Elmer's glue is put away-- we've lost the red wheel barrow)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: SMGFan; Pollster1; GilGil
Real Clear Politics currently has Romney with 181 EVs either Solid, Likely, or Leans. He needs 89 more to reach 270.

RCP has these states (156 EVs) in the Toss-up column:

Colorado (9)
Florida (29)
Iowa (6)
Michigan (16)
Missouri (10)
Nevada (6)
New Hampshire (4)
North Carolina (15)
Ohio (18)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)
Wisconsin (10)

There is no doubt in my mind (being in Missouri) that Missouri (10) should be in the Leans or Likely Romney category. After Missouri, the states about which I am the most optimistic are Florida (29), North Carolina (15), and Virginia (13). If Romney gets those four states (67 total), that puts him at 248.

22 more to go. Where will they come from? Ohio (18) plus any of the others would do it. Other combinations could work also.

For months I have thought Romney will win with at least 290 EVs, possibly up to 320. If he gets 330 or more, that will exceed my wildest expectations. But now I would say it is possible.

78 posted on 10/13/2012 12:17:09 PM PDT by Charles Henrickson (Romney-Ryan 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

Then does that mean Romney is tanking even more? Just click on Drudge’s link and you can see Romney’s only got a lock on less than half of the EVs Obama does. The headline could just as easily say, “Obama has lock on twice as many electoral votes as Romney.”

If Obama doesn't have a "lock" on PA, MI, or WI, then he's in much worse shape than pollsters and journalists thought all the way up to now.

79 posted on 10/13/2012 12:19:20 PM PDT by x

Went to Massachusetts GOP Headquarters in Boston the other day to get some bumper stickers.I asked a guy there how Romney was polling in the state and he said 10 points down.When I asked him how it compared to ‘08 he said Osama took it by 15.In a state like this that's noteworthy.
80 posted on 10/13/2012 12:19:29 PM PDT by Gay State Conservative (Ambassador Stevens Is Dead And The Chevy Volt Is Alive)

What it really means is there are only 10 states were no money needs to spent.....I am sure the re-election team in Chicogo were counting on only having to spend millions in swing states, now they need to spend money either to keep states leaning Obama or the outright toss- ups....

81 posted on 10/13/2012 12:23:37 PM PDT by Popman (November 7th...will be a good day for America..)

How does DC get 3 electoral votes?

That offsets the whole state of Wyoming. We need to give DC back to Maryland.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We need to reduce DC’s EV’s to zero. They don’t get Senators, they don’t get a Congressman, and they should not have EV’s.

IMO

82 posted on 10/13/2012 12:36:07 PM PDT by Eccl 10:2 (Prov 3:5 --- "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding")

To: chemical_boy

California, Illinois, and New York. Three states that get a TON of food stamps, gov´t subsidies...why is it the people who get the free stuff want to vote for Obama.

83 posted on 10/13/2012 12:37:23 PM PDT by rovenstinez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Salamander

OK, give the Eastern Shore to DE and the western parts to WVa.

84 posted on 10/13/2012 12:57:31 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 64 | View Replies]

To: Elendur
...and at the rate he’s imploding, it still could happen!

I don't think we'll get to Reagan's 1984 performance, but it's still my dream.

85 posted on 10/13/2012 1:02:33 PM PDT by Pollster1 (Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

Fewest Electorial votes you can have are three —two senators and one Rep. Makes you feel warm and cozy to know the crime infested “swamp” has as many delegates as some real states!

86 posted on 10/13/2012 1:08:04 PM PDT by cpa4you (CPA4YOU)

I live in Maine.

Obama won Maine in 2008 by 18 points. Currently, Obama is ahead statewide in Maine by 4 points.

Maine has two congressional districts and, like Nebraska, splits their electoral votes based on who wins each congressional district. If Obama wins southern Maine, the First Congressional district, he (Obama) gets one electoral vote. If Romney wins the northern half of Maine....the Second Congressional district, then Romney gets one electoral vote as well. The winner of the statewide popular vote receives two more electoral votes. Maine has a total of four.

In the Second Congressional district, Romney leads by 5 points.

If the Romney campaign made an effort here, I think they could win the entire state of Maine. So far, I haven’t seen any Obama ads and just one Romney ad, on October 1st. Perhaps Team Romney decided to spend their resources in states with bigger electoral vote totals. Who knows.

On the state level, the GOP did well in Maine in 2010. We elected a conservative GOP TEA Party guy, Paul LePage, as governor. The GOP also won control of the Maine House and the Maine Senate, the first time this has happened since the early 1960’s. Now if we could only replace our elected officials on the federal level.....

87 posted on 10/13/2012 1:33:30 PM PDT by july4thfreedomfoundation (Trying does not guarantee certain success, but NOT trying guarantees certain failure.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

It may come as a surprise to the democRATS but it would appear that upstate Republicans and independents voting for Romney may overwhelm the libturds from downstate voting for Obunghole.

88 posted on 10/13/2012 1:36:09 PM PDT by Ouderkirk (Democrats...the party of Slavery, Segregation, Sodomy, and Sedition)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

That WI, MI, and PA are in play is Veeerryyyy interesting

Ann Romney was all over Michigan yesterday, Bill Clinton was in Detroit. The state is in play.

89 posted on 10/13/2012 1:37:55 PM PDT by crosslink (Moderates should play in the middle of a busy street)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

Don’t you mean that it doesn’t look like Romney will ose NC, VA and FL??

90 posted on 10/13/2012 1:40:46 PM PDT by JSDude1

Because I sure believe Romney will win all three NC, VA and FL, as well as a bunch more “swing states”.

91 posted on 10/13/2012 1:42:51 PM PDT by JSDude1

To: JSDude1
Don’t you mean that it doesn’t look like Romney will lose NC, VA and FL??

Yes, that's what I meant.

92 posted on 10/13/2012 1:44:58 PM PDT by Fiji Hill (Deo Vindice!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 90 | View Replies]

The list might be smaller after the next debate!

93 posted on 10/13/2012 1:50:08 PM PDT by proudpapa

To: JSDude1
ecause I sure believe Romney will win all three NC, VA and FL, as well as a bunch more “swing states”.

I think he'll take some "blue" states as well--maybe even California, where he's coming up in the polls.

94 posted on 10/13/2012 1:56:13 PM PDT by Fiji Hill (Deo Vindice!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

Illinois isn’t a lock.

95 posted on 10/13/2012 1:59:45 PM PDT by faucetman ( Just the facts, ma'am, Just the facts)

To: july4thfreedomfoundation
"I think they could win the entire state of Maine."

Given all the effort in Iowa for but 6 votes, ME could be worth more effort.

96 posted on 10/13/2012 3:26:06 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

To: bray

I would love to see my state of Oregon go for Romney. I think my next door neighbors’ heads would explode.

97 posted on 10/13/2012 5:07:54 PM PDT by Inspectorette
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

To: Inspectorette

We have a little surprise coming for the Dims here in Oregon.

98 posted on 10/13/2012 5:11:04 PM PDT by bray (Islam- A billion medieval savages can't be wrong!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 97 | View Replies]

It means 47 states are in play.

99 posted on 10/13/2012 7:16:57 PM PDT by scott7278 ("...I have not changed Congress and how it operates the way I would have liked..." - BHO)

Doesn't look like he'll lose Va. and NC, he's leading in Fla., and is drawing big crowds in Ohio.

Obvious troll is OBVIOUS.

Cheers!

100 posted on 10/13/2012 11:36:29 PM PDT by grey_whiskers (The opinions are solely those of the author and are subject to change without notice.)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson