Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: kabar
I read that Iran mumbled something about 1 on 1 talks possibly after the election. So the NYT maybe ran off half-cocked thinking that if it was said there were talks, it would reflect favorably on Odumbo. I think the NYT and possibly the administration were played by the Iranians, although I would think Amanutjob would want Odumbo reelected.
26 posted on 10/21/2012 1:52:11 PM PDT by visualops (artlife.us)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies ]

To: visualops
I believe that Plouffe and/or Axelrod thought this would help Obama before tomorrow night's debate on foreign policy. It would help undermine Romney's charge that Obama has not dissuaded Iran from its nuclear program and show that Obama's policies are working. I have no doubt the WH leaked this story.

One big problem: Axelrod and Plouffe only see things thru the prism of domestic policitics. They didn't figure on the international repercussions. Here is what Michael Oren, Israel's Amb to the US:

“We do not think Iran should be rewarded with direct talks,” Mr. Oren said, “rather that sanctions and all other possible pressures on Iran must be increased.”

I don't think Jewish voters will appreciate these talks. Obama must now walk it back without losing face and hurting himself with the NYT and the rest of the liberal MSM.

27 posted on 10/21/2012 2:53:34 PM PDT by kabar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson