Skip to comments.Vanity: Time to stop being down in the dumps and start planning for 2014 and 2016
Posted on 11/06/2012 8:52:31 PM PST by Sola Veritas
OK...so Obama has won reelection. It will be bad, of that there is NO doubt. However, good can come from this.
I’m inclined to believe it wasn’t Romney that was the problem.
The reality is that there simply aren’t enough conservatives left. The only way the GOP is going to be able to remain relevant is continuing to move leftward Republicans will be a permanent minority party henceforth.
A few thoughts about the election:
1. Although most here were predicting a Romney win, I predicted that Obama would win with 290 electoral votes. Although at this hour the votes havent been totaled, it appears that I will be close. Two factors weighed heavily in my mind causing me to think that Obama would win:
a. The polls in most battleground states were leaning in his favor. I have learned over the years that, although there are exceptions, the polls are generally correct.
b. Romneys move to compete in Pennsylvania late in the game was a sign of desperation in my mind. It generally hasnt worked in the past (e.g., see McCain 2008). It was a Hail Mary pass that indicated a lack of confidence in a more typical path to victory.
2. Obamas election is a serious problem for the country. But, contrary to what most conservatives are saying, I believe that Romneys nomination might have been worse for conservatives. Historically, Romney has not been a conservative. He has especially not been a social conservative. If he had won, the next four years would have been an argument between liberal American and moderate America, with conservative America either looking on from the sideline or being told to toe the moderate line. The result would have been, not only a leftward drift for the country, but a continued leftward drift for the conservative opposition. Traditional conservatives, particularly social conservatives, would increasingly be marginalized as reactionaries unsuitable to modern society.
3. Can we nominate a conservative in 2016? The Dole, H.W. Bush, McCain, Romney model is a proven failure.
4. Liberal Republicans hate social conservatives more than they hate Democrats. The greatest enemies of social conservatives are liberal Republicans. Social conservatives who continue to vote for liberal Republicans just because they have an R after their name will only encourage establishment Republicans to nominate increasingly liberal candidates in the future. Conservative Republicans are the new plantation voters.
5. Long-term strategy is more important than short-term tactics. Those who insist on voting for the lesser of two evils (and who use scare tactics to pressure them into doing so) may occasionally win a short-term victory, but continue the inexorable downward slide in the handbasket on the slippery slope into the cesspool at the bottom. In fact, many of them are already wading hip-deep in that cesspool and saying that it doesnt smell so bad. I might be drug into that cesspool, but I will never willingly jump in.
6. Ive caught a lot of flak from conservatives over the last few months because I wouldnt commit to pulling the lever for Romney. (I actually wrote in Tom Hoefling of the American Independent Party, although it wont be counted. It just felt better than leaving the line blank, which would have been my other option.) As a social conservative, I would have lost regardless of who won. I will vote for those who earn my vote, not blindly rubberstamp those who want my vote but not my values. Im sure that I will continue to be criticized by conservatives and liberals alike, but I can live with it. I am at peace with it.
7. As a Christian, I am part of a kingdom that transcends country. Nations rise and fall. I am thankful that, even if America falls and dissolves into the sea, that I am part of a kingdom that is eternal. Politics may be important, but it is not primary. We need to remember that America is not the church, and that no political party is the kingdom of God. We may like America, but we have a better country than America. (But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. -—Hebrews 11:16a)
Because that strategy worked out so well we are celebrating McCaint's re-election tonight.....
or maybe we are celebrating Sarah Palin's win tonight because John was too old?
Man this is so hard to figure out because Conservatives never get to vote for the election at hand.
I say we start a betting pool on when Boehner will first be shown on tv crying like a little b#tch.
Seriously? What’s the point? Conservatism is dead. We had our last chance today, and blew it. The country will be even more liberal in 4 years. Today finished us. We are DONE. The commies have won. Congrats to them.
I hate to break it to our FRiends here but 8 years of Clinton is not the same as 8 years of Obamao. It’s just not the same. I think the majority of people in this county have decided to vote for what they want, rather than earn it or figure things out on their own.
no one wants conservative anymore and frankly I don't even know what it means....
keep your personal values if you can....associate with similar minded people...but forget ever changing this country because its OVER....
the Amish have it right...screw modern society and their evil...
Christian conservatives need to leave the worthless GOP and start a viable Conservative party. Or at a minimum go independent and refuse to support a party that thrust a New England liberal like Romney down our throats.
I reregistered independent a year ago. A pox on both parties.
Eight years of the Clintons is going to look like eight years of Reagan comparatively speaking. Jimmah Carter will look downright CONSERVATIVE by contrast to 4 more years of the Messiah. The military will be gutted to pay for the likes of the Obamaphone fugly “woman” crowd.
You hear me GOP? 100% obstructionism. Absolutely no compromise on anything or if I am still here in 2 and 4 years, I will vote out every single incumbent.
Rate we’re going: we won’t have elections in 2016.
Dictators are for life.
I got a feeling a democrat won't get elected dog catcher for a long time.
A Nation of Part time jobs.
Obama already messed things up yet he was re-elected. What does that tell you? that the american people want socialism. They want a leftist type of government. The GOP is dead. Ideas of freedom no longer matter because we have generations being raised and taught in the schools that the Government and Democrats are their friends and republican’s are the evil enemy that want to ruin everything.
America is toast.
Clinton didn’t hate America, and he wasn’t out to destroy us.
I was thinking of this earlier - the bible says that things are going to get really bad in the end times - economic disaster, hedonism, you know the drill. I had hoped that it wasn’t going to be now, but maybe you and I were created for such a time as this.
“Be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world.”
Romney was just another Bob Dole and McLame. Until a real conservative becomes a candidate for Prez the conservatives will stay home.
In the mean time, we have to bear all the God dammed liberals gloating. I do hope the GOP holds the line in the house. Ideally, they would really starve all rat senate requests, or at least use that to get them to do what we want. Doubtful, it would require Bohner growing balls, but we can always hope. There are a lot of good conservatives in the House and Senate. We must continue to work on getting more governorship’s. As the saying goes, it’s always darker before the dawn.
You speak the truth. We need to face up to this now. Some of us wanted to shout from the roof tops that this would be IT........I fear it is... I personally think that this was all rigged well and that Obama knew it and that is why he was so passive. Even his fake tears and " goodbye" last night wasn't real.
We need to put our attention on setting our hearts right with God. That is where it is at.
Revival in the land has always been at the heart of political and social reformation.
Correct...and He is in control. That is where we find our hope, no matter who is President.
Like George Bush?
I’m not “down in the dumps,” but I am going John Galt on these clowns. (And stocking up on stuff I like.)
I was just on the phone to apologize to my Air Force son for allowing the country I inherited to turn socialist on my watch.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.