Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Boy writes letter to LEGO after losing minifigure, gets awesome response
Yahoo! ^ | January 8, 2013 | Mike Krumboltz

Posted on 01/09/2013 7:52:58 AM PST by Altariel

Seven-year-old Luka Apps spent his Christmas money on the LEGO Ninjago Ultra Sonic Raider set. A sound investment, if you ask us. But the thing about LEGOs -- those small pieces are easy to lose. They don't call 'em minifigures for nothing.

Against his father's recommendation, young Luka took his newly procured Jay ZX shopping. And then, wouldn't you know it, the figure went missing, never to be seen again.

Luka, not one to admit defeat, decided to write a letter to the good people at LEGO seeking a replacement.

(Excerpt) Read more at games.yahoo.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Society
KEYWORDS: customerservice; lego; legos; ninjago
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-214 next last

1 posted on 01/09/2013 7:53:11 AM PST by Altariel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Altariel

“And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how companies score lifelong customers.”

Hear. Hear.

2 posted on 01/09/2013 8:00:23 AM PST by MestaMachine (Sometimes the smartest man in the room is standing in the midst of imbeciles.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

That is just so sweet.

3 posted on 01/09/2013 8:13:27 AM PST by llmc1 ( Go Chargers)

My 10 y.o. son the Lego addict would love this story. I just wish I had money for every one of those darn things I have stepped on with bare feet, picked up before vacuuming, or rescued from the youngest child’s mouth. I’d take myself to somewhere Legos don’t exist for a vacation ;)

4 posted on 01/09/2013 8:19:22 AM PST by Hoosier Catholic Momma (How long till my Arkansas drawl fades into the twang of southeast Ohio?)

Legos = best. Toy. EVER.

1. They rarely break. If the thing you *built* breaks, you just put it back together - and that’s half the fun.

2. They can be any toy you want them to be. Bored with your spaceship? Combine pieces and parts to build something else!

3. They inspire complex, engineering thought patterns and hone spatial relation skills.

4. Many sets *appreciate* in value. Especially Star Wars sets. The UCS Millennium Falcon sold for $500 retail a couple of years ago. You can now sell it on ebay for $2000.

5 posted on 01/09/2013 8:32:15 AM PST by bolobaby

This is so heartwarming that the boy is being taught “entitlement” mentality at this age. A bonus is the no bad consequences for bad choices. We have ourselves a Democrat in the making.

6 posted on 01/09/2013 8:33:50 AM PST by BipolarBob (Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.)

To: BipolarBob

LOL. I thought the same thing. This story is actually a horrible story. The kid took his toy to the store and lost it. Now he wants another one for free. He’s a cute, blond-haired, blue-eyed kid and so everyone says, “isn’t he cute, let’s give him another toy.” It teaches him that there are no consequences to his carelessness. In the long run, he would have been better off doing extra chores to earn money for a new toy.

7 posted on 01/09/2013 8:37:32 AM PST by Opinionated Blowhard ("When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

"Daddy said to send you a email to see if you will send me another one." [emphasis added]

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

8 posted on 01/09/2013 8:38:11 AM PST by 1rudeboy

Years ago, when I had no money and no debts, I bought a set of diaper pins for my first child (now 53). These were the pins that had little plastic ducks and rabbits for their “heads”. Much to my horror, the plastic heads on a couple of them split, allowing the wire of the pin to protrude, thus endangering my baby. I went to the store to buy a new set and found that the card now contained 3 pins, instead of 4.

I was angry and I wrote a letter of complaint and sent it off to the company, complainng about the quality of the product and the price increase (less product for the same price.) This must have been in 1960.

Much to my surprise, I received a letter of apology and explanation. It seems that their manufacturing plant had suffered a fire that interrupted their process and some of their plastic was contaminated with water which made it brittle. They enclosed multiple cards of their diaper pins for me. I never bought another diaper pin for 4 children!

I don’t remember the name of the company, but it hardly matters. Nobody uses diaper pins any more.

9 posted on 01/09/2013 8:40:03 AM PST by afraidfortherepublic

To: Opinionated Blowhard
Seems to me that the kid is learning the law of contract.

Daddy said to send you a email to see if you will send me another one.
Offer.

Sensei Wu also told me it was okay....
Acceptance.

I promise I won't take him to the shop again if you can.
I am also going to send....
Consideration.

10 posted on 01/09/2013 8:43:24 AM PST by 1rudeboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: bolobaby

My kids love LEGOs, but I do find them on the expensive side for small pieces of plastic.

11 posted on 01/09/2013 8:43:32 AM PST by jaydubya2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: 1rudeboy; BipolarBob

Ya gotta love FR. There is an infinite supply of pessimism, anger, and dejection, and any potential downside to a nice story will be unearthed, come hell or high water.

12 posted on 01/09/2013 8:45:16 AM PST by Future Snake Eater (CrossFit.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Opinionated Blowhard
He’s a cute, blond-haired, blue-eyed kid and so everyone says, “isn’t he cute, let’s give him another toy.”

So the Lego CSR knew what the kid looked like?

13 posted on 01/09/2013 8:48:12 AM PST by Future Snake Eater (CrossFit.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

My first thought was that his father should have encouraged the boy to offer to pay for a replacement since he lost it instead of flat out asking for a free one. It may seem like it is splitting hairs but it is in these small lessons we learn a bigger principle.

14 posted on 01/09/2013 8:48:33 AM PST by happyhomemaker (Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Rom 12:12)

5. Pieces from any set of Legos ever made will fit together flawlessly. Pretty impressive manufacturing and quality control, if you ask me.

15 posted on 01/09/2013 8:48:43 AM PST by Conscience of a Conservative

5. Pieces from any set of Legos ever made will fit together flawlessly. Pretty impressive manufacturing and quality control, if you ask me.

16 posted on 01/09/2013 8:48:56 AM PST by Conscience of a Conservative

The boy *requested* a replacement, he didn’t *demand* one.

17 posted on 01/09/2013 8:48:56 AM PST by Altariel ("Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!")

To: Future Snake Eater
Anyone can calculate FR pessimism:

18 posted on 01/09/2013 8:49:52 AM PST by 1rudeboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I don’t know about that. He did not “demand” his piece. And he did not say “Lego owes it to me”, like the voters in the last election did.

19 posted on 01/09/2013 8:53:38 AM PST by drinktheobamakoolaid (Don't blame me, I voted for Romney!!!!!!!!)

Actually that is why I enjoy FR LOL!!

20 posted on 01/09/2013 8:54:07 AM PST by happyhomemaker (Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Rom 12:12)

To: Altariel; Black Agnes; NautiNurse; StarFan; GOPsterinMA
Great story... thanks for posting it, Altariel!

I have several cousins who work at the LEGO US headquarters in Enfield, Connecticut. One cousin is or was a customer service representative who responded to letters from children like Luka. She loved her job... I'll have to find out if she's still working there.

21 posted on 01/09/2013 8:59:52 AM PST by nutmeg (FUBO!)

To: 1rudeboy

I agree with you. He ASKED, but his father had warned him that the answer may be “No,” and that the kid might have to save up and buy another one.

Lego decided to grant the request, but gave a warning that he MUST NOT lose another. This is exactly what a parent might do with a careless child. I see no problem with it at all.

The child promises to be more careful. This is the lesson we’d WANT him to learn, isn’t it?

Good job by the Lego CSR.

Regards,

22 posted on 01/09/2013 9:00:58 AM PST by VermiciousKnid (Sic narro nos totus!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Ya gotta love FR. There is an infinite supply of pessimism, anger, and dejection, and any potential downside to a nice story will be unearthed, come hell or high water.

LOL, you noticed that too, huh? ;-)

23 posted on 01/09/2013 9:01:49 AM PST by nutmeg (FUBO!)

PS: The difference between this boy and your every-day, garden variety entitelment handout seeker is that this boy ASKED, and asked politely and contritely. Handout seekers no long ASK for anything; they DEMAND instead.

Regards,

24 posted on 01/09/2013 9:03:27 AM PST by VermiciousKnid (Sic narro nos totus!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: drinktheobamakoolaid

Even if he didn’t “demand” a replacement piece I think the proper request before asking for something from a company is to offer to pay for it. Of course the boy is only 7 and obviously it was the dad who encouraged him to ask for a replacement without offering to pay for it. We have a full blooming tree of entitlement planted squarely in the middle of our country because we ignored it when it was a small seedling and we “felt” good about giving people free stuff.

25 posted on 01/09/2013 9:04:13 AM PST by happyhomemaker (Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Rom 12:12)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: VermiciousKnid

Note to self: When previewing your post, actually PREVIEW it.

“entitelment” = entitlement

Regards,

26 posted on 01/09/2013 9:05:12 AM PST by VermiciousKnid (Sic narro nos totus!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

How did the media (Yahoo) find out about this incident?

27 posted on 01/09/2013 9:05:38 AM PST by Cowboy Bob (Soon the "invisible hand" will press the economic "reset" button.)

To: happyhomemaker

Good point. You’re right, that’s what the father should have suggested in the first place.

28 posted on 01/09/2013 9:08:02 AM PST by drinktheobamakoolaid (Don't blame me, I voted for Romney!!!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

"...the boy is being taught “entitlement” mentality at this age."

We're talking about a little boy here that saved his Christmas money for these toys. I see LEGO's response as capitalism with a heart and eyes for the future. I hope never to become as jaded as what you've written here.

29 posted on 01/09/2013 9:09:07 AM PST by Liberty Valance (Keep a simple manner for a happy life :o)

LOL!

30 posted on 01/09/2013 9:09:48 AM PST by nutmeg (FUBO!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Altariel; All

He wasn’t in any position to DEMAND one now was he? No. Give him a position in government or a pack of his friends and then he would be in a better “bargaining” power. I’m just saying he lost the toy through poor choice and the lesson to be learned was right there. It’s all right if others see it differently. Doesn’t bother me.

31 posted on 01/09/2013 9:10:22 AM PST by BipolarBob (Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Exactly. When this cute little boy is a fat, bald, 55 year old, he’s going to still be expecting the world to give him a handout. We need to stage a conservative intervention now to stop that from happening. Does anyone know the kid’s address? We need to get him a copy of Atlas Shrugged ASAP!
32 posted on 01/09/2013 9:10:33 AM PST by Opinionated Blowhard ("When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: Liberty Valance

You seem smart. Thanks for your comment.

33 posted on 01/09/2013 9:12:03 AM PST by BipolarBob (Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: VermiciousKnid

Now we are expecting companies to be the moral guides for our children? What if it was a smaller company that didn’t have the funds to gives away lost replacement pieces was faced with this request and had to turn the boy down? I am sure the liberals would be calling for a boycott proclaiming them to be evil corporate masters that only care about their bottom line.

34 posted on 01/09/2013 9:12:35 AM PST by happyhomemaker (Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Rom 12:12)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

Oh yeah? Well the other side sux!

35 posted on 01/09/2013 9:13:04 AM PST by Mr. K (There are lies, dammed lies, statistics, and democrap talking points.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

This company is brilliant....30 cents for a priceless advertisment. People will remember this when they purchase gifts for their children, birthday parties, etc.

36 posted on 01/09/2013 9:13:22 AM PST by napscoordinator (GOP Candidate 2020 - "Bloomberg 2020 - We vote for whatever crap the GOP puts in front of us.")

To: afraidfortherepublic
"... I don’t remember the name of the company, but it hardly matters. Nobody uses diaper pins any more."

I saw a teenage girl in San Francisco a few years ago with a 'ducky' diaper pin through her bottom lip.

37 posted on 01/09/2013 9:13:39 AM PST by The KG9 Kid (Bring back the booby hatches.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I’m just saying he lost the toy through poor choice and the lesson to be learned was right there.

Except for the fact that it appears that the kid understands he made a "poor choice." So whether you punish him for it, or not, the "lesson" already is "learned."

38 posted on 01/09/2013 9:14:34 AM PST by 1rudeboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

Well...that’s nice. I have no idea what that kid or LEGO is talking about, but it sounds nice. LOL

39 posted on 01/09/2013 9:14:57 AM PST by WKUHilltopper (And yet...we continue to tolerate this crap...)

I’m thinking of buying a bigger house. I’m running out of room for Lego.

40 posted on 01/09/2013 9:15:26 AM PST by zeugma (Those of us who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.)

To: The KG9 Kid

Disgusting way to use an “antique”.

41 posted on 01/09/2013 9:15:50 AM PST by afraidfortherepublic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

"Ya gotta love FR. There is an infinite supply of pessimism, anger, and dejection, and any potential downside to a nice story will be unearthed, come hell or high water."

----------

You, sir, need to just STFU!

/s

42 posted on 01/09/2013 9:16:06 AM PST by freedomlover

To: Hoosier Catholic Momma

“I just wish I had money for every one of those darn things I have stepped on with bare feet,”

When I sold my house my kids had been long gone.

When they pulled out the refrigerator there were a couple of legos under it.

It made me grin——and feel a little sad.

43 posted on 01/09/2013 9:18:27 AM PST by Mears
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Mr. K

That’s what I’m talking about. Why debate when it’s so much more fun to namecall? I miss good old snowball fights.

44 posted on 01/09/2013 9:18:52 AM PST by BipolarBob (Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: MestaMachine

Lego’s CEO is now dealing with the consequences of putting quality, inventiveness, and customer attention FIRST.

He’s also dealing with the consequences of not outsourcing an iota of the products sold outsicde China, to China.

The company is almost too successful for words right now, and everybody - from townspeople who want to get into the factory to top PR, marketing and international executives - wants to work for them.

45 posted on 01/09/2013 9:21:35 AM PST by golux (man)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: freedomlover; Future Snake Eater

Time to brush off those how-to debate books and bone up on some badly needed skills. LOL

46 posted on 01/09/2013 9:21:48 AM PST by BipolarBob (Happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: jaydubya2
My kids love LEGOs, but I do find them on the expensive side for small pieces of plastic.

They are only expensive if you don't compare them to other "similar" small pieces of plastic. There are several companies that make Lego-like bricks, but the fit of these knock-offs is pathetic. The tolerances of the manufacturing processes that the Lego Group uses is tighter than just about any other industrial process you'll see, and they quite literally will last for decades. I have Lego that I had as a child, that my girls used when they were growing up. They still work fine now 30 years later. About the only problem I've had with older bricks is that the clear ones turn yellow with age. It's a common failing amongst plastics, and I'm not really going to yell at Lego about it. If everything were made as well as Lego, the world would be a different place.

47 posted on 01/09/2013 9:22:42 AM PST by zeugma (Those of us who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

If you strip away the hook of the cute little boy and his “precious”letter what you have is an adult who is training his child. Did the adult use this incident to “train” him that there are consequences to disobedience or did he “train” him that your first recourse is to ask some company to make it right? BTW you guys do realize that a 7 yr old would never be capable of writing that letter. So in essence we are discussing the adult(dad)who dictated to the kid what to write.

48 posted on 01/09/2013 9:24:20 AM PST by happyhomemaker (Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Rom 12:12)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

You wanna see Lego’s maxed out, check this. http://firstlegoleague.org/challenge/2012seniorsolutions

I mentor a high school FIRST Robotics Team. Many of the kids start out with Lego Leagues and do some amazing things. There are something like 9000 teams worldwide.

49 posted on 01/09/2013 9:25:37 AM PST by cyclotic ( Obama's golden halo is really just a rusted hubcap)

To: Mears

Awwww...

I love seeing the stuff my son comes up with. Every month, when his Lego magazine arrives, he wears it out reading it. He ‘inherited’ a huge box of Legos over the summer. They were left in my brother’s old closet at our parents’ house and he told me to give them to my son. You would have thought I had given him gold, as excited as he was. Those Legos are over 20 years old, but they are as good today as they were when my brother was a kid.

My younger daughter (8 years old) loves the Lego Friends sets. For Christmas, we bought her a big set (700 pieces) that builds a house, complete with all sorts of accessories and figures. She built it in less than a day over Christmas break. She absolutely adores it.

50 posted on 01/09/2013 9:26:39 AM PST by Hoosier Catholic Momma (How long till my Arkansas drawl fades into the twang of southeast Ohio?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-214 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson