Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: JoeProBono
"Subway Footlong is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length,"

That's ridiculous. I suppose, then, that their "Six inch" subs, which are the faux footlongs cut in half, also are described as a trademark. Even McDonalds' "Quarter Pounders" supposedly weigh 4 ounces (before cooking).Not that we can ever check.

Subway was founded in Milford, CT, a stone's throw from the great grinder delis and restaurants of the greater New Haven area. In the early days, they made their money by being open late enough to service the drunkies and potheads, and by heavy use of 2 for 1 coupons, and of course, a willingness to become a chain, something that is a sign of success in the Midwest, but a symbol o being "nothing special" in the northeast.

Subway also made tidy profits by shredding the lettuce and skimping on the meat. If you are in Wallingford, CT, skip Subway, and go to Rosa's Deli, where the footlong grinders are 14" long, and you can get a superior Suppresata sub for the price of salami at Subway, and an Italian sausage grinder with sauce made by real Italian ladies from Italy (get it with peppers, mmmmmm!). In other towns in CT/NY/NJ, ask around for the local Rosa's equivalent.
10 posted on 01/21/2013 5:18:03 AM PST by Dr. Sivana ("C'est la vie" say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell. -- Chuck Berry)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Dr. Sivana

13 posted on 01/21/2013 5:37:05 AM PST by JoeProBono (A closed mouth gathers no feet - Mater tua caligas exercitus gerit ;-{)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

with sauce made by real Italian ladies from Italy

Are the ladies flown in everyday, or is the sauce?

15 posted on 01/21/2013 5:59:30 AM PST by BerryDingle (I know how to deal with communists, I still wear their scars on my back from Hollywood-Ronald Reagan)

Oh....you’re such a brat! One of the few things that I truly miss from Wally World is Rosa’s and Liuzzi’s cheese in North Haven. Not enough though to make me want to move back....LOL

53 posted on 01/22/2013 5:51:57 AM PST by 2nd amendment mama ( www.2asisters.org | Self defense is a basic human right!)

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson