Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: Ernest_at_the_Beach

Of course this article has zero to do with “stopping the iPad”. That’s just the yellow journalists and Apple haters at the Register/Inquirer drawing page views.

The writing is on the wall for spinning disk drives. At some point in the near future solid state nonvolatile storage will hit a price-performance-capacity point that will make it the sweet spot for most stuff. Those with multiple terabytes to store still might have a spinning disk or two for second-tier storage.

I’ve been surprised, given the complexity, unreliability, noise, heat and manufacturing overhead associated with rotating magnetic drives that they’ve held their own for this long.

16 posted on 02/12/2013 12:25:18 PM PST by PreciousLiberty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: PreciousLiberty
I have been reading the technicals on the Flash memory and they haave got a problem....

Scaling is not working for them like it is for Logic circuits.

Every body expects that making the transistors smaller and smaller will drop the prices....but there is a very nasty problem.

They keep reworking the controlers and wear intervals,...and spare rewrite area....etc....but it is not easy.

I don't claim what I just wrote is totally coherent....but it is a nasty issur with the physics.

18 posted on 02/12/2013 12:33:31 PM PST by Ernest_at_the_Beach ((The Global Warming Hoax was a Criminal Act....where is Al Gore?))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies ]

To: PreciousLiberty

I’ve had much better luck with spinning discs with most of them lasting longer than their usefullness. Solid state has a limitted number of read/writes and if used frequently can have a significanly shorter lifespan than a spinning disc.

25 posted on 02/12/2013 1:47:43 PM PST by dangerdoc (see post #6)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson