Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: PreciousLiberty

Use what you want.

Spinning discs have at least one more generation of advancement left in them which should keep them at a significant price advantage for the next few years. I don’t have a problem switching to solid state, and I will when the price and reliability become competitive.

Combining the two technologies is probably going to be the best solution for most people for quite a while.

29 posted on 02/13/2013 11:08:37 AM PST by dangerdoc (see post #6)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies ]

To: dangerdoc

“Use what you want.”

I certainly will, thank you! ;-)

“Spinning discs have at least one more generation of advancement left in them which should keep them at a significant price advantage for the next few years. I don’t have a problem switching to solid state, and I will when the price and reliability become competitive.”

Right, they have a price advantage and a performance disadvantage. I believe that for the Intel SSDs at least, they also have a reliability disadvantage for most users. It’s not clear when a solid state alternative will beat magnetic storage on price per capacity - I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet. Magnetic drives involve a lot of mechanical complexity and assembly, versus solid state which is basically modified sand... ;-)

I don’t need a ton of storage, so SSDs are fine for me. If I did need a few terabytes of storage, I’d probably do a second RAID of traditional hard drives for that...in the short term.

“Combining the two technologies is probably going to be the best solution for most people for quite a while.”

The concern I have about these drives with flash cache is that the cache is going to see quite a bit of write activity by necessity. I wonder how that will work out...

30 posted on 02/13/2013 11:43:06 AM PST by PreciousLiberty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson