Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Singer Dionne Warwick files for bankruptcy in NJ
Associated Press ^ | Mar 26, 2013 5:11 PM EDT

Posted on 03/26/2013 11:09:23 PM PDT by Olog-hai

Singer Dionne Warwick claims in a recent bankruptcy filing that she owes nearly $10 million in back taxes and her monthly expenses exceed $20,000. …

Warwick’s publicist said that the singer was victimized by bad financial management in the 1990s and that she has paid back the actual amount of the taxes, but penalties and interest have accumulated over the years. …

(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org ...

TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Music/Entertainment
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-78 next last

1 posted on 03/26/2013 11:09:23 PM PDT by Olog-hai
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Olog-hai

Ran out of psychic friends.

2 posted on 03/26/2013 11:13:43 PM PDT by 98ZJ USMC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Do you know the way to the federal pen ?

3 posted on 03/26/2013 11:19:02 PM PDT by fieldmarshaldj (Resist We Much)

“Warwick’s publicist said that the singer was victimized by bad financial management”

A lot of these performers were victimized. I remember seeing a performance by “Hermes Hermits” in Jackpot NV in a bar that held about 50 people a few years ago. I really thought it was sad.

These people who entertained us so many tears ago should be on easy street. But many are not...

4 posted on 03/26/2013 11:21:40 PM PDT by babygene ( .)

Hate to hear this :-(

I love her music.
I particularly like the Theme from “Valley Of The Dolls”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxX-JCbQwSQ

5 posted on 03/26/2013 11:24:08 PM PDT by Bobalu (It is not obama we are fighting, it is the media.)

She’s bankrupt, but she has $20,000 in monthly expenses. Uh...Ms. Warwick, maybe it would help if you gave up some of those expenditures..like housekeeping?

Bad financial advice? Sounds more like a matter of spending more than she has.

6 posted on 03/26/2013 11:25:14 PM PDT by fatnotlazy

To: Olog-hai; JoeProBono
*I Say A Little Prayer* for you gal

Too many good classics to mention. I remember listening to her *Little Prayer* on Armed Forces Radio in the ME. Brought me closer to home.

7 posted on 03/26/2013 11:25:24 PM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)

Now she’ll know what it’s like to have friends that walk on by.

8 posted on 03/26/2013 11:25:54 PM PDT by golux

To: Bobalu

Me, too. Thanks for the YouTube.

9 posted on 03/26/2013 11:26:25 PM PDT by laplata
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: laplata

I also found the same theme song on youtube that is accompanied by images of Sharon Tate...(She was in Valley of the Dolls)
It’s just way too sad to even watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQqrgJWblI

10 posted on 03/26/2013 11:30:27 PM PDT by Bobalu (It is not obama we are fighting, it is the media.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: fatnotlazy

I’ve never personally gotten the concept of owning bigger houses than you can reasonably clean yourself.

11 posted on 03/26/2013 11:31:41 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: babygene

Haters gonna hate. She used her God-given talents to entertain many of us. Where is the compassion for her circumstance?

12 posted on 03/26/2013 11:36:01 PM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Daffynition

So many entertainers are really not very smart and/or not very educated. It is not really surprising that they cannot manage the affluence that they reap from their art.

But by this same token they should not believe that they have intelligent political commentary to offer.

Not her, but so many of them.

13 posted on 03/26/2013 11:49:35 PM PDT by angry elephant (Endangered species in Seattle)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: angry elephant

>>Not her, but so many of them.<<

14 posted on 03/26/2013 11:52:48 PM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

This is just plain sad. She was one of the best and most gifted, talented entertainers of her day...and my day.

15 posted on 03/27/2013 12:02:07 AM PDT by dixiechick2000 (Old age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill.)

Back in the late 80s Ted Nugent was playing at the Holiday Inn in Waco.

16 posted on 03/27/2013 12:04:36 AM PDT by Terry Mross (This country will fail to exist in my lifetime. And I'm gettin' up there in age.)

Warwick, a cousin of the late Whitney Houston, also listed $20,950 in monthly income from royalties, retirement income and a contract with Culver City, Calif.-based Star Girl Productions. Her monthly expenses total $20,940 and include $5,000 for housekeeping/housesitting.

Very convenient and very fake. This is probably why she has not been able to settle.

17 posted on 03/27/2013 12:10:15 AM PDT by iowamark

She should have paid her taxes and managed her money better

18 posted on 03/27/2013 12:18:56 AM PDT by GeronL (http://asspos.blogspot.com)

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

It must be tough getting by on twenty grand a month.

20 posted on 03/27/2013 12:51:43 AM PDT by count-your-change (you don't have to be brilliant, not being stupid is enough)

".....she didn't see that coming"

21 posted on 03/27/2013 12:57:26 AM PDT by Doogle (USAF.68-73..8th TFW Ubon Thailand..never store a threat you should have eliminated))

To: LifeComesFirst

shame on you,ive loved her songs,i see no reason to comment on her nostrils.

22 posted on 03/27/2013 1:01:41 AM PDT by Craftmore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: LifeComesFirst; cracker45; Craftmore

“Don’t give a woman advice: one should never give a woman anything she can’t wear in the evening” ~ O Wilde

Geez...that’s an uncalled for comment.

23 posted on 03/27/2013 1:13:03 AM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

OK fine; let her go out naked at night then...

She loses $10 million and still is blowing $20 thou a month and whining about it?!? I’m not interested in listening to her fake problems!

JC

24 posted on 03/27/2013 1:27:02 AM PDT by cracker45
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: cracker45

You still haven’t got my present, yet. Have you? :)

I hope she can use her talents to get herself upright again.

25 posted on 03/27/2013 1:35:23 AM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

To: fieldmarshaldj

Do you know the way to San Broke-ay?

26 posted on 03/27/2013 1:41:22 AM PDT by djf (I don't want to be safe. I want to be FREE!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: djf

Well that was her first mistake, New Jersey. Had she been in FL or Texas she probably would still be solvent.

27 posted on 03/27/2013 2:23:16 AM PDT by DAC21
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

I know she has been busted for pot a few times, does that mean her brain is going soft? I don't know...

But what I do know it is a shame given the number of High-End Advisory Firms and even some of the No-Loads that play in this arena ( I think Vanguard has a sub-set for Whales ) that so many Celebrities make so many bad moves when it comes to money.

On the other hand so many did well, The late Flip Wilson I hear was a market maven and a big landlord, The late Bob Hope owned a big chunk of California, and was it Tennessee Ernie Ford or the Gent from Green Acres TV show that bought up all the land that is now the burbs in their State?

I think the dividing line is common sense and good old fashion values such as a work ethic with their money going on here that seperate the successes from the failures.

28 posted on 03/27/2013 2:38:38 AM PDT by taildragger (( Tighten the 5 point harness and brace for Impact Freepers, ya know it's coming..... ))

To: DAC21

Did she have a house near Whitney?

29 posted on 03/27/2013 2:39:41 AM PDT by Average Al
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: Average Al

I don’t know, but one of those two (it may have been Whitney Houston) had a home next door to Gov. Chris Christie (his real home, not the governor’s mansion) in Mendham, NJ.

30 posted on 03/27/2013 3:02:00 AM PDT by Alberta's Child ("I am the master of my fate ... I am the captain of my soul.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: Alberta's Child

Interesting.

31 posted on 03/27/2013 3:14:42 AM PDT by Average Al
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: Average Al

Chances are she like Obama believes that the rich don’t pay enough taxes. She may be cabinet material.

32 posted on 03/27/2013 3:58:32 AM PDT by doosee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

She had incredible rythym - not in a soulful way but her timing was impeccable. That and Burt was a great song writer.

33 posted on 03/27/2013 4:09:54 AM PDT by Psalm 73 ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room".)

“April Fools” - one of my favorites and theme from an amazing movie with Jack Lemon & the absolutely stunning Catherine Deneuve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbhJlUcxz-4

34 posted on 03/27/2013 4:45:09 AM PDT by newfreep (Breitbart sent me...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

She made millions off her psychic hotline and she had the first psychic telephone service. So she blew her millions in ill gotten gain

Sure I like her greatest hits written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David

35 posted on 03/27/2013 4:49:03 AM PDT by dennisw (too much of a good thing is a bad thingGive them --- Joe Pine)

I remember seeing a performance by “Hermes Hermits”

Are you referring to Herman's Hermits of the 1960s?

36 posted on 03/27/2013 5:18:01 AM PDT by OldPossum

The comedian from the silent era Harold Lloyd followed a conservative investment strategy and was one of the wealthiest men to ever come out of show business.

37 posted on 03/27/2013 5:18:58 AM PDT by PUGACHEV

I saw her God-given talents in person one night. It was a terrible performance...the songs were great...but her attitude on stage was appalling. She simply didn’t like the audience being there. At one point we were clapping and she actually said “enough already” and hurried up to start the next song. When finished with her last song, she simply walked off the stage, not even waving good-bye...like she was glad to get rid of us. It was an amazing evening...finally “meeting” someone you really admired only to have them turn out to be someone you really would not want to have a cup of coffee with. Not a very nice person. I never bought another album, and I often changed radio stations when she came on. My “feelings” about her problems? [shrug]

38 posted on 03/27/2013 5:58:13 AM PDT by ThePatriotsFlag ( EVERY DIME Obama Spends is given to him by the Republicans in the House.)

You would have thought one of her psychic friends would have seen this coming.....

39 posted on 03/27/2013 6:03:48 AM PDT by phalynx

To: OldPossum

Yes

40 posted on 03/27/2013 7:14:24 AM PDT by babygene ( .)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: 98ZJ USMC

She should have seen it coming.

41 posted on 03/27/2013 7:14:49 AM PDT by dfwgator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Yes even if she supported ODumbo, I can say that her music was classy. Not this crap of music we have today. When I hear Dionne sing her classic song especially Valley of the Dolls, I think of Sharon Tate. Dionne’s song has that 60’s feel to it but in an elegant way and Sharon Tate was the image of the 60’s but in a tragic way.

42 posted on 03/27/2013 7:30:50 AM PDT by Patriot Babe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

First wesley snipes and now Dionne Warwick. Theres a common thread here somewhere........Hmmmmm, now what is it?

43 posted on 03/27/2013 7:41:30 AM PDT by V_TWIN (obama=where there's smoke, there's mirrors)

To: ThePatriotsFlag

That’s sad to hear...there are a few performers who are regular folks and don’t fall prey to being prima donnas.

I have the same opinion of most pro-sport celebs.

44 posted on 03/27/2013 7:43:46 AM PDT by Daffynition (The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. — D.H.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: taildragger

The best was Fred McMurray. He saw what Hollywood was going to become and sunk all his money into real estate. IIRC, he died a billionaire.

45 posted on 03/27/2013 9:44:33 AM PDT by cyclotic (In a society of wolves, you do not fight back by creating more sheep-Dan Bongino)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Wasn’t she once married to Burt Bacharach?

46 posted on 03/27/2013 9:48:13 AM PDT by Hot Tabasco

To: Hot Tabasco

Nyet.

47 posted on 03/27/2013 9:50:23 AM PDT by Revolting cat! (Bad things are wrong! Ice cream is delicious!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

To: Olog-hai; a fool in paradise; Slings and Arrows

I thought she lived in San Jose?! Or did she lose her way on the way there?

48 posted on 03/27/2013 9:51:37 AM PDT by Revolting cat! (Bad things are wrong! Ice cream is delicious!)

To: Olog-hai; a fool in paradise

The woman’s in trouble, she don’t know what to do with herself in this empty place, are you people just going to walk on by? Who can she turn to? Anyone who had a heart would reach out for her! Or are you there (with another girl?) You’ll never get to heaven! You’d better make some promises, promises!

49 posted on 03/27/2013 9:56:48 AM PDT by Revolting cat! (Bad things are wrong! Ice cream is delicious!)

Was that the Peter Noone led band?

PN went solo and still does shows as “Peter Noone of HH’s”.

The “Hermits” backing band, it appears, not as successful.

50 posted on 03/27/2013 10:01:19 AM PDT by newfreep (Breitbart sent me...)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-78 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson