Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

WATCH: Im Important! Im Somebody! Baptist Pastor Throws Epic Hissy Fit, Berates Churchgoers
Mediaite ^ | July 5, 2013

Posted on 07/06/2013 8:46:42 AM PDT by don-o

Fun times at the Immanuel Baptist Church of Skiatook, Oklahoma.

Recent video shows pastor Jim Standridge throwing what can only be described as an uncomfortably epic hissy-fit upon discovering one of his younger churchgoers had fallen asleep during his sermon.

“Don’t you go to sleep while I’m talking?” Standridge said from his pulpit, looking directly at the snoozing churchgoer. “Hey! Hey! Don’t you lay your head back!”

“I’m important. I’m somebody,” the pastor continued as he stepped down from the pulpit and walked directly over to the unidentified sleepy male. “You may do your English teacher that way, but I’m not here teaching English. I’m teaching eternal life.” Standridge walked over to the man, stood over him, and sternly told him: “You stay awake and you listen to me.”

Instead of returning to his pulpit to continue the sermon, however, Standridge then took the opportunity to berate other churchgoers who’ve run afoul of him lately.

(Excerpt) Read more at mediaite.com ...

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Religion; Weird Stuff
KEYWORDS: churches; clergy; nutcase; pastors
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-130 next last
To: VerySadAmerican
Reminds me of the judge in MY COUSIN VINNY.

Heh, Francis Herman Munster Muldoon. He was a good actor.

51 posted on 07/06/2013 10:27:35 AM PDT by Lancey Howard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: PapaNew
He shows signs of not realizing he is no longer under the law but under grace (Romans 6:14) and under NO CONDEMNATION (Romans 8:1). God wants to set his people free from the traditions of man that Jesus constantly talked about (Mark Chapter 7) and Paul warned about ("another gospel" other than the gospel of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ) (Galatians Chapter 1).

Indeed.

There's other ways for pastor needed to "raise somebody from the dead":
(1) Tell all you sense a need to pray...and have EVERYBODY stand up to join you in a brief prayer;
(2) Self-depricating light humor could have also been used..."Oops, I've put another listener to sleep. Somebody nudge him awake." And then, once awoken, the pastor could have apologized to the sleepy guy for being too monotone...not dynamic enough.

52 posted on 07/06/2013 10:40:24 AM PDT by Colofornian (West went South)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: don-o

Interestingly, that church has a 50-member choir as well as an orchestra.

53 posted on 07/06/2013 10:49:13 AM PDT by Fiji Hill
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Colofornian

I notice he says, “I’M important” rather than, “This is an anointed message from the LORD’s heart to you.” His focus is on himself and not the Lord (another problem in today’s church - the Lord is not in the center, oftentimes not even in the church at all, hence the picture of Him standing outside the church door knocking in Revelation 3).

54 posted on 07/06/2013 10:53:06 AM PDT by PapaNew
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

HaHaHa...I’ll bet this pastor is like this all the time...And there seems to be plenty of folks sittin’ in the pews so I’d say they are not too shook up about it...I know I’m not...

55 posted on 07/06/2013 10:58:28 AM PDT by Iscool

To: alexander_busek

The speaker has a duty to not bore people to sleep. Maybe if he was TEACHING the Word, instead of preaching; AND MADE IT INTERESTING & COMPELLING, the guy would have stayed awake. We weren’t there, so we have no idea if the preacher was a speaker or a droner.

OTOH, maybe this guy was NOT MEANT to hear the preacher’s message, for his soul’s protection: “...for this reason, God has sent a SPIRIT OF SLUMBER...”.

Let he who hath ears to hear....

56 posted on 07/06/2013 11:02:23 AM PDT by ApplegateRanch (Love me, love my guns!©)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: Tax-chick

* Fell asleep, fell out the window, and died, and St. Paul brought him back to life. *

Now that’s what you call a revival, Tax-chick :)

57 posted on 07/06/2013 11:11:51 AM PDT by NEWwoman (God Bless America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Spiritual abuse is the worst kind of abuse.

58 posted on 07/06/2013 11:12:59 AM PDT by webstersII

To: aimhigh

* The preacher is lucky the sleeper didn’t respond by saying, “It’s your job to keep us awake.” *

Right, aimhigh
Even the apostles fell asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane ... and Jesus did not rant at them.

59 posted on 07/06/2013 11:14:22 AM PDT by NEWwoman (God Bless America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: NEWwoman

LOL! You’d think “Don’t sit in an open window two stories up” would be a no-brainer, but teenagers are teenagers ...

I don’t see the problem in the situation of the original post. Unless the boy was snoring loudly, talking in his sleep, or fell over on his neighbor, he wasn’t hurting anyone.

60 posted on 07/06/2013 11:16:35 AM PDT by Tax-chick (I want shrimp tacos.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

To: EricT.

This. I know folks who pull a double and walk into church in the morning on the way to pulling another double. Done it myself.

I was tired, and exhausted, but I was there. I’ve fallen asleep during sermons before.

But I love how the drop out generation says its gotta be ‘xbox’.

61 posted on 07/06/2013 11:17:57 AM PDT by JCBreckenridge ("we are pilgrims in an unholy land")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

” ... he wasn’t hurting anyone.”

Except the Pastor’s ego. IMHO, the Holy Spirit was at work here.

62 posted on 07/06/2013 11:21:18 AM PDT by NEWwoman (God Bless America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

Except the Pastor’s ego.

Bingo!

63 posted on 07/06/2013 11:24:18 AM PDT by Tax-chick (I want shrimp tacos.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies]

I have a little bit different perspective. Yeah the pastor did not handle it well. I agree.... But at the same time..... churches should tell some people to just stay home now and then. Some people are there just to help their business. Some are there to see their friends like they were going to a Moose Lodge or something. Some are there because their spouse wants them to go. Churches in this day and age have a lot of Tares in them.

I mean if you can't go to church and stay awake... then just stay home. That's just me.

64 posted on 07/06/2013 11:35:25 AM PDT by kjam22 (my newest music video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gNI9bWO3s)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 63 | View Replies]

At one point he said: “And I noticed on the calendar I’m supposed to marry y’all.
What makes you think I would marry you? You’re one of the sorriest church members I have.”

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/jim-standridge-rant-video-immanuel-baptist-church-pastor-criticizes-congregation-members#ixzz2YI9ASPxX

65 posted on 07/06/2013 11:35:44 AM PDT by deport

After video of the tirade circulated online, Standridge expressed little remorse. Speaking with the Barnsdall Times, he said, “I know I’m right, and I know I haven’t done anything wrong.” He also told the Huffington Post: “What concern is it of me what a carnal world thinks of this?”

Your concern, Screecher, is that that 'carnal world' is where those who need dragging out of the fire, and into the Kingdom dwell; your concern should b to bring them in, not drive them farther away in the 'carnal world.

As a matter of fact, you should be preaching salvation and forgiveness to THEM, as it is a sin to continue preaching that "milk" message to the saved, instead of feeding them meat, according to Paul.

“You can’t get this in any other church in town,” he told the crowd, explaining that if they don’t “want” him as pastor, he and his assistant can sell off the place of worship and move on down the road to some “podunk church.”

“Stay with me! Don’t quit me!” he shouted at individual attendees.

It isn't "your" church, Screecher; it is supposed to be Christ's church, no matter who holds an earthly deed to the land it sits on.

66 posted on 07/06/2013 11:36:38 AM PDT by ApplegateRanch (Love me, love my guns!©)

To: who knows what evil?

In a day and age where preachers are afraid to offend anyone because their more concerned about the churches income than they are peoples relationship with God.... this was pretty refreshing.

67 posted on 07/06/2013 11:43:54 AM PDT by kjam22 (my newest music video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gNI9bWO3s)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

To: kjam22

I watched the first ten minutes of the sermon, and will go back to see the balance when I get some time later...as you say; refreshing.

68 posted on 07/06/2013 11:51:42 AM PDT by who knows what evil? (G-d saved more animals than people on the ark...www.siameserescue.org.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 67 | View Replies]

To: Black Agnes

The Apostle Paul’s sermon actually killed one young man!
(Acts 20:9)

69 posted on 07/06/2013 11:58:33 AM PDT by fortheDeclaration (Pr 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation:but sin is a reproach to any people)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

The problem is that the pastor thinks he is important, when it is the word of God that is.

70 posted on 07/06/2013 12:00:09 PM PDT by fortheDeclaration (Pr 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation:but sin is a reproach to any people)

To: GreyFriar

A symptom of pastoral burn-out. He needs a vacation.

71 posted on 07/06/2013 12:00:22 PM PDT by zot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

Let’s all meet up next Sunday, sit in the front and pretend to fall asleep.
I’ll be the guy in PJs and carrying a teddy bear...

72 posted on 07/06/2013 12:01:00 PM PDT by Bon mots

To: zot

He needs a vacation from all of the Tares in his church. From the fake hypocrites who are there with an agenda. I’m speaking as someone who has spent his entire life in church. I know where he’s coming from.

73 posted on 07/06/2013 12:04:09 PM PDT by kjam22 (my newest music video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gNI9bWO3s)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

in one congregation I used to attend

the elements of the service had an opening song, opening comments by the minister, a prayer, a song sung by the whole congregation which remained standing at the end, another prayer, and then everyone greeting their neighbors in the pews

then some annoucements, if needed

then the small children and their teachers left for their sunday school classes

then sunday’s talk began, with no children below teenage present

you have to respect small children’s immaturity

telling them to “behave like little adults” in some situations is neither always productive or the right thing to do

a structured class environment is more conducive to their religious education than listening to an adult’s sermon, which is quite often filled with a lot of adult terms and understanding that is simply, often, over little kids heads

something, in addition to his ego, is wrong with that pastor

74 posted on 07/06/2013 12:08:32 PM PDT by Wuli (qu)

I would have gotten to my feet and walked out, leaving him to backstab yet another person, only this time behind someone’s back. This man has some serious personality issues!!! (i.e. narcissism??)

75 posted on 07/06/2013 12:10:23 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)

To: PapaNew

You’re not “under the law” until you break God’s law, then the penalty for sin is death (unless and until you repent of it)

76 posted on 07/06/2013 12:12:15 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

* The preacher is lucky the sleeper didn’t respond by saying, “It’s your job to keep us awake.” *

” Right, aimhigh
Even the apostles fell asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane ... and Jesus did not rant at them “

______

Actually, Jesus kind of did...

40And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter,

“So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour?41“Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.”43Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy.44And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more.45Then He came to the disciples and said to them,

“Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners.46“Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!”

I would say Jesus certainly expressed His disappointment. May not have gotten “personal” like the pastor in question did, but certainly gave the disciples correction.

As a pastor myself, I both sympathize with and cringe at what this pastor did. Not to say I’ve had many fall asleep, but kids playing on their cell phones, cell phones ringing, or even one time someone answering the call and walking out of their seat to the hallway to take the call.

People really should hold that time as precious and sacred. They give everything and everyone else all the time in the world the rest of the week, but can’t give a preacher offering the Word of God just 40 mins./more-less of their time once a week.

I have asked politely or made passing jokes whenever a cell phone has ringed, but it can be frustrating though. I really can’t imagine anyone doing this when I was growing up to my home church’s pastor. Today however, clergy are becoming less and less respected.

The pastor was wrong in calling out the groom-to-be, as it just seemed like it was tacked on to a raging rant rather than being mere “Biblical accountability”.

77 posted on 07/06/2013 12:12:43 PM PDT by AskNotReceiveNot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies]

To: kjam22; GreyFriar

In our church the Elders watch for signs of pastoral stress and take steps to de-fuse them before they lead to burn-out. Our pastor has been minister of our church since 1987.

78 posted on 07/06/2013 12:15:00 PM PDT by zot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

To: Thumper1960

No, the Bible itself says this is not the way to do it. We’re not arrogant, hypocritical or smugly self-righteous because we object to his self centered public rantings.

79 posted on 07/06/2013 12:15:09 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: cripplecreek

Cool! I like that.

80 posted on 07/06/2013 12:17:06 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: kabumpo

Really?! Magnificent. I’m appalled by his poor behavior, bet your religious affiliation reflects this kind of behavior too.
I’ll remember this when/if I see your username again, as in “well, that’s kabumpo, what do we expect?”

81 posted on 07/06/2013 12:20:56 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

To: Black Agnes
And black churches seldom have sermons that are over in 45m to an hour. Sometimes they go on for a couple hours or more.

And that is why I could never, ever, I mean never, be a Baptist.

To all "preachers" out there, remember, brevity is the soul of wit. Live it and learn it.

Christ's sermon on the mount took how long, maybe 10-15 minutes? Who knows, I wasn't there, but he knew how to make a good point in a short time and knew that those are the lessons that are remembered. The Castroesque monologues are forgotten as soon as the speaker, finally, stops speaking.

82 posted on 07/06/2013 12:25:28 PM PDT by mc5cents (Pray for America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

The church building is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints. The Bible itself, supposedly our instruction book, speaks against this kind of behavior.

83 posted on 07/06/2013 12:26:28 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)

In a day and age where preachers are afraid to offend anyone because their more concerned about the churches income than they are peoples relationship with God.... this was pretty refreshing.

I listen to a pastor from Tennessee over the internet...he preached a sermon on hell wherein he actually told the congregation that 'some of them were going to hell'. His congregation is larger than ever...

84 posted on 07/06/2013 12:29:30 PM PDT by who knows what evil? (G-d saved more animals than people on the ark...www.siameserescue.org.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 67 | View Replies]

Um, Kjam, you’re no better than the “others” those evil sinners and hypocrites. We are all sinners and come short of the glory of God.

85 posted on 07/06/2013 12:31:56 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)

To: Shimmer1
The church building is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.

I like that.

86 posted on 07/06/2013 12:32:56 PM PDT by mc5cents (Pray for America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

To: AskNotReceiveNot

I certainly agree that this time is precious and sacred. No offense but I’ve seen many churches of this denomination hold parties in their sanctuaries, eat and drink and play in there, gossip and carry on talking in there, when there are plenty of places to do these things right in the churches’ building.

Our denomination believes that the sanctuary is a sacred place to seek the Lord. We treat it accordingly. (ok, some of us do)

87 posted on 07/06/2013 12:36:31 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

To: mc5cents

I didn’t come up with it, I’ve just heard it over and over. :)

88 posted on 07/06/2013 12:37:48 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

This preacher is an ass.

89 posted on 07/06/2013 12:49:14 PM PDT by Conservative4Ever (I'm going Galt)

In a follow up video, the pastor entirely justified his actions.

90 posted on 07/06/2013 12:51:01 PM PDT by lurk

To: AskNotReceiveNot

I appreciate the feedback and your take on it through the eyes of a pastor.

I do believe Jesus took into account our human needs and weaknesses - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. He even fell asleep during the storm.

Those other actions of cell phones, games, etc. demonstrates a lack of courtesy, civility, which does not seem to be taught these days. But on the other hand, smaller children are given in church packets of pictures, puzzles (religiously oriented) with crayon to keep them from fidgeting - go figure.

91 posted on 07/06/2013 12:51:38 PM PDT by NEWwoman (God Bless America)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

How like a Dem to ascribe bad intentions to anyone who disagrees with them. Some of us don’t confuse religion with a Hallmark greeting card.

92 posted on 07/06/2013 1:15:16 PM PDT by kabumpo (Kabumpo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

Disagree. It was disrespectful.

93 posted on 07/06/2013 1:16:34 PM PDT by kabumpo (Kabumpo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

the penalty for sin is death

Which penalty was paid 2000 years ago for you, me, and the whole world. Sin is no longer the issue, because God righteously judged the sins of the world upon the body of Jesus on the cross. Receiving Jesus Christ and his FREE gift of everlasting life is the only issue in this life. Once you have received him, you have the GIFT of righteousness whereby you may reign in life (Rom 5:17). God sees you as righteous because of Jesus NOT because of you (II Cor 5:21).

This is the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24). The church is mired in the traditions of man like the religious world Jesus encountered. Jesus had nothing good to say to the legalistic Pharisees. Jude said we (the church) must earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints and both Jude and Galatians warn of the removal of grace. Satan wants grace removed because grace defeats sin (Rom 6:14). Instead he wants to put you back under the law becasue the law strengthens sin (I cor 15:56). The law is Satan's main weapon to bring you condemnation, which God has said absolutely does not belong to the believer (Rom 8:1).

94 posted on 07/06/2013 1:19:11 PM PDT by PapaNew
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 76 | View Replies]

How like a leftist to not be able to accept valid criticism.

95 posted on 07/06/2013 1:30:38 PM PDT by Shimmer1 (No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]

I don’t think blowing up in the face of “disrespect” is appropriate for a Christian minister. It’s not as if the boy stood up and tried to shout down the Gospel: he simply fell asleep.

96 posted on 07/06/2013 1:59:41 PM PDT by Tax-chick (I want shrimp tacos.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 93 | View Replies]

What you wrote doesn’t even qualify as criticism, let alone valid.
It was a typical Dem “ooh, you disagreed with me about something, now you are forever discredited...”
Criticism is what the minister said. And you, in a state of munchhausen by proxy, couldn’t take it.

97 posted on 07/06/2013 2:42:32 PM PDT by kabumpo (Kabumpo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 95 | View Replies]

Well, I do think the response was appropriate, and I find it very disturbing that there are any members of FR excusing falling asleep in church.

98 posted on 07/06/2013 2:46:13 PM PDT by kabumpo (Kabumpo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 96 | View Replies]

I agree... we're all sinners. But not everyone in a church knows Christ. That's a biblical truth, and it is stated by many preachers today. That as many as 60 to 70 percent of church members don't know Christ as their savior.

But yeah... we're all sinners.

99 posted on 07/06/2013 2:47:59 PM PDT by kjam22 (my newest music video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gNI9bWO3s)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 85 | View Replies]

The church building is a place for church members to gather. And for those seeking God. It's not a moose lodge for the click to gather. Its not a social event. Its not a place for business people to find customers. Its not a place to make a fashion statement. And its not a place to go take a nap.

Someone said the pastor should have spoken to these people in private. The problem is this... if he does that... those people go tell their friends what a terrible pastor he is because he said something "mean" to them. And the most likely expand on the story. And then their friends tell someone else. And it just "cliques" along. You know... there is no doubt what he told them at this point.

Ever read Acts 5?

100 posted on 07/06/2013 2:55:09 PM PDT by kjam22 (my newest music video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gNI9bWO3s)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-130 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson