Skip to comments.Brought home a new puppy yesterday; he's got Parvo
Posted on 07/22/2013 2:29:33 PM PDT by Rides_A_Red_Horse
The wife and I just brought home a German Shepherd pup yesterday. He seemed "shy" but later I realized he was lethargic. He ate a bit but not like what you would expect from a two month old Shepherd.
We took him to the Vet today to have him checked out and he tested positive for Parvo. He hadn't started puking yet and they put him on IVs so with a little luck he should recover.
Our other dog is up to date on his shots and the cats are supposed to be immune. I went around and disinfected everything he touched. The vet said they have a 90% success rate so it looks good.
I contacted the family who sold us the pup. They called back and let me know the last one from the litter died.
Does anyone here have experience with Parvo?
Our rescue pup broke with parvo 24 hours after we got her. She was 11 weeks old and had just been spayed by the county in order that we could take her.
Get that pup on Tamiflu! It is the only thing that saved our pup. Parvo is deadly to other dogs! Wash everything with bleach.
Do not take him back. That would be a death sentence for him.
I already decided not to take him back. His last littermate died shortly after we took him to the vet.
I’m sorry your pup is going through this. It sounds like you caught it early and that’s a good thing. Parvo has been successfully treated with Tamiflu. Find out if the vet is going this route. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1885
He drank some water, not a lot but some. Yesterday, he ate two of the generic “Ceaser” packs of puppy food (I fed him extra because he was so skinny). My wife fed him one pack before we left for the vet. He ate a little dry food.
He was a little active after we got him home so we’re hoping for the best.
I’m glad he’s on the IV and he’ll get what he needs.
He’s at the vet and on an IV. My wife was upset when they put in the catheder. The tech had problems so it was a little rough on him.
The worst part is it’s preventable.
I adopted a Chocolate Lab puppy in 1994 from a rescue group, he turned out to have Parvo. He was on an IV and under observation for over a week but came through just fine, with the exception of a tiny white patch in his fur on his left paw where the IV was inserted, that little white patch of fur remained there his entire life. He was a beautiful, athletic, smart, loving dog and I loved him dearly in return for 15 years. That’s a grand old age for a large male Lab, but I would have loved to have had 15 more.
Your wishes are appreciated; we need all the prayers we can get!
The vet said people and cats can’t get it. Should we be worried?
We threw away toys, ran bowls through a dishwasher with a sanitize setting, washed cloth items in the washer on hot and saturated everything else with disinfectant.
The only other thing I can do is cleanse it with fire.
Viruses are nasty buggers.
Another good link about parvo
All I know is Parvo is really really bad news. We make sure to get ours vaccinated every year. I sure hope they save your puppy.
Thanks for the info, that was interesting.
I remember the television PSAs during the late 70s that warned of the virus.
Re - “We are overdue for the virus to mutate into another specie. It could be humans because of our close proximity to the domesticated Feline and Canine populations. Just food for thought.”
I’ll avoid sharing their chew toys.
Find a farm store with -real- kaolin/pectin suspension and keep it on hand.
I have a gallon jug of it.
That and the rehydration are paramount.
Has the OP come back?
Hell if I’d leave a parvo puppy alone.
One more link-
Has the OP come back?
I’m glad you’re taking care of this baby. Will keep him in my prayers.
Here is a link from holistic vet Karen Becker on the virus. It covers prevention, treatment, symptoms, and who is at risk. Hope it helps:
Hey, Sal —
Always good to hear from you. I think the puppy is with the vet now and the OP is at home.
He’s on IVs and we’ll be checking in every day. It’s weird, we picked up three (two cats and a dog) and left one (the new dog).
I just looked up what our pup was on at the vets 5 years ago when she was in isolation for a week-but she was vomiting and had bloody bowel movements.
1ml of Tamiflu for her 13 lbs 2 times a day. She was on metoclopramide, albon and reglan (sp). She had an IV for fluid support with potassium.
My understanding from some friends who still do rescue is that they now combine the Tamiflu with an antibiotic and this seems to work better (but I am not a vet ).
One thing I will say though- YOU are your pups best advocate. If you do not feel your pup is getting the best care then speak up....ask questions....research...it could be the difference between life and death.
Your pup is in my prayers. Best to you and your family!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.