Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

School Supply Lists (Vanity)
Me

Posted on 07/28/2013 3:45:35 AM PDT by MacMattico

I'm in NY and my daughter's schools just recently put out their "school supply lists" -- what students have to have for each class and supplies they "share" like tissues, whiteboard markers, colored pencils. My kids are in high school and Jr High.

It cost me $206 for school supplies! And we spend about $17,000 per year per student in this district! Wayyy over taxed!! My parents couldn't have afforded this for 4 kids.

I told the Superintendent this was ridiculous. She tried to steer me to a "charity" group that could help me get the supply's. I said I'm not in need of charity, I think you're wasting our money! She told me not to worry, when school starts they'll have some free supply give-a-ways! How dense! I don't need your $$, I need you to stop wasting money that isn't yours!

TOPICS: Education
KEYWORDS: education; schoolsupplies; schooltaxes
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-203 next last
Of course this is the same lady that wouldn't let a school group go on a trip because it cost to much. When it was explained the students and parents were raising money and paying the difference so there was no cost to the school, she still said it would cost the school to much and vetoed it! Duh!
1 posted on 07/28/2013 3:45:35 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: MacMattico

So, why aren’t you putting your kids in private schools or home schooling?

2 posted on 07/28/2013 3:48:39 AM PDT by RKBA Democrat (GOTS: Food, water, guns, ammo, useful skills, friends, cash, and precious metals.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Each year we spend more and more on “school supplies” and pay more in taxes. Teachers and Administrative salaries go up. When I was in HS we needed a notebook, pens and pencils and later a Scientific Calculator. And don’t get me started on the calculator. Daughter needed a $150 one last year, but it was suppose to last all 4 years of math. Now they may be going “a different direction” which would require a new calculator! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

3 posted on 07/28/2013 3:50:35 AM PDT by MacMattico

I hear ya.

Signed my son up for high school on Friday. You should have seen the look on the face of the lady that asked me if we needed a free/reduced lunch form when I told her that we didn’t. She had to do a double take and look up at me to see what kind of alien creature was standing before her.

Big giveaway for school supplies in August for this area. Free breakfasts. Free lunches. Free school supplies. Some people don’t have to pay for anything any more.

4 posted on 07/28/2013 3:52:09 AM PDT by beaversmom

To: RKBA Democrat
Very good question with a complicated answer... And I'd still have to pay the darn taxes!
5 posted on 07/28/2013 3:53:01 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

High school sure changed, all I needed was a #2 pencil, a fountain pen, a notebook, a pocket knife and some smokes, a bottle of Thunderbird and a rifle out in the car, and I was good to go.

6 posted on 07/28/2013 3:53:27 AM PDT by ansel12 ( Santorum appeared on CBS and pronounced George Zimmerman guilty of murder, first degree. March-2012)

In the school district I live in parents have been given a list of items to buy and then told to have the kids bring them all to school. The teachers then redistribute the supplies, giving the costlier items to low income kids and the cheaper stuff to kids they know come from better circumstances.

7 posted on 07/28/2013 3:55:34 AM PDT by Catmom

I heard the other day on the news that some folks are spending $1200 on supplies, but that did include a lap top or tablet, so your number is right there.

I can’t remember what it cost me. I just remember that we could never buy stuff until school actually opened and then it was a scramble because of course you had to have RIGHT AWAY.

I actually liked Catholic school, they gave you everything you needed. Of course you paid for it (you even had to purchase the text books) but at least you had what was needed with no shopping hassle.

8 posted on 07/28/2013 3:56:25 AM PDT by jocon307

If you think students pay too much you should see how much teachers have to shell out of their own pockets.

9 posted on 07/28/2013 3:56:37 AM PDT by HarleyD

You get what you pay for, if you’re lucky. I’m less concerned about the cost of supplies as I am the cost of the mush that kids are being taught in the government schools.

The most expensive things in life are often “free.” We as parents and our kids pay a huge cost for what is in effect state-subsidized day care.

10 posted on 07/28/2013 3:58:46 AM PDT by RKBA Democrat (GOTS: Food, water, guns, ammo, useful skills, friends, cash, and precious metals.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: beaversmom
Oh, I know, and we don't want to “embarrass” the kids that can't “afford” lunch so we have a machine they put a code in so no money changes hands. Those that don't need free lunch and breakfast gladly take it, but when my kids get lunch the money comes out of an account I have to set up. Can't just send them to school with a couple bucks. Might make the other kids question their parents lack of responsibility to feed them!

But the kids know the kids getting free lunch. And most of them are on their iPhones as they punch in their code!

11 posted on 07/28/2013 4:01:30 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Now they may be going “a different direction” which would require a new calculator! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hope she isn't taught math in base 8 like my kids were.(That's for kids with 8 fingers and toes)
Not sure they have a base 8 calculator. LOL

12 posted on 07/28/2013 4:05:46 AM PDT by Vinnie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

> But the kids know the kids getting free lunch. And most of them are on their iPhones as they punch in their code!

You meant Obamaphones, right?

13 posted on 07/28/2013 4:08:29 AM PDT by jsanders2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Try home schooling! I coughed up over a grand last year in books, supplies, etc.. and still paid taxes to the county to not educate my kids.

14 posted on 07/28/2013 4:11:56 AM PDT by DYngbld (I have read the back of the Book and we WIN!!!! (this post approved by the NSA))

To: HarleyD
I was a teacher. And most schools don't use their funds wisely, that's not the parent's fault. The average teacher in my district makes $80,000 a year plus. $40 an hour additional for bus or cafeteria duty. My daughters have never brought home a supply a teacher paid for. I taught HS Social Studies, and it could be done with notebooks, pens, and their books and still made interesting. Extras are nice but not in Obama economic times.
15 posted on 07/28/2013 4:13:17 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

My problem is the system making everyone to conform to THEIR ingenious "file system"...

History is the blue folder, math is red, science is green....just plain idiotic.

Half our job in life is learning to create your OWN order. Just check out your kitchen...we all "file" different.....but we all have a junk drawer.

16 posted on 07/28/2013 4:13:33 AM PDT by Sacajaweau

Hell....In my old hometown, they have free meals all summer long...cuz the kids are too damn lazy to walk home and make a pb&j sandwich and pour a glass of milk. Of course, that might cut into momma's beer money for her boyfriends.

Don't ask me the demographics.

17 posted on 07/28/2013 4:16:02 AM PDT by Sacajaweau

Yeah, my daughter gets the list, stuff like handi-wipes, sani-wipes, lots of pencils, pens, etc.
Then the teacher pools the supplies and distributes to everyone.
I/daughter say B##S@#$% !

The NC state legislature (repub, for the first time in forever) just passed a bill requiring the schools teach cursive writing !! Some of the systems weren’t.
Can you believe that ?
Sacrifice and go private if possible.

18 posted on 07/28/2013 4:18:13 AM PDT by Vinnie

To: Sacajaweau

Yep, this summer free meals all summer for ANY KID.

I bet hardly anyone shows up, but then again I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if they were packed either.

19 posted on 07/28/2013 4:19:46 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Same here in summer. High Hispanic area. Looking up about this particular high school...72% eligible for free/reduced lunch. 40% state average for Colorado is shocking to me, too. Nearly half of the parents in this state can’t afford to feed their children? Really?

20 posted on 07/28/2013 4:20:51 AM PDT by beaversmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Why the hell do they need calculators?

21 posted on 07/28/2013 4:22:27 AM PDT by dinodino
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Some cities are being enticed to accept Meeshell’s food crap with bribery of $$.. free meals for all children....

I heard Baltimore or some place told them to stuff it.

22 posted on 07/28/2013 4:22:37 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Yes, and then the green folder gets ripped and has to be replaced immediately by another green folder! But it seems all the green folders are out at 3 local stores! So I drive 20 miles at 10:00 at night for the green folder at the super walmart. That was in elementary school, they had my daughter so upset that her green folder ripped I had to find one!
23 posted on 07/28/2013 4:22:50 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: dinodino

Reply to self: never mind—for calculation of basic trig functions I suppose they are better than carrying books of tables.

24 posted on 07/28/2013 4:23:20 AM PDT by dinodino
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

You would still have to pay your property taxes, which hopefully aren’t $17,000. But, by pulling your child out of public school, they lose that $17,000.

25 posted on 07/28/2013 4:24:49 AM PDT by ican'tbelieveit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Like my grand daughters’ school. They ask for way over the amount of supplies each child needs (e.g., 5 packs of 48 count #2 Ticonderoga pencils) because the teachers give the extra supplies to the illegals’ children that have flooded our schools. Look at any bus stop near an apartment building anywhere in your state or county. They are overwhelmed with illegals’ children.

And when they are all normalized (how Rubio weasel words Amnesty) they will STILL be getting free sh!t as citizens and will be eligible for many more entitlements.

26 posted on 07/28/2013 4:25:45 AM PDT by Gaffer

I can see it on the more advanced stuff, but in 8th-9th grade, no. I even took it away from her once because I wanted her to do her homework last year by hand. She showed me the homework and at the top it said USE YOUR CALCULATORS. I had done the same Algebra problems before and never needed a calculator! But the NY state Regents exams say they are to be used. The all-knowing Regents has spoke!/S
27 posted on 07/28/2013 4:29:18 AM PDT by MacMattico

To: GeronL

They really push it here. I’ve had them tell me in the past to just fill out the form even if I think we don’t qualify. I can read. I know we don’t qualify and I wouldn’t do it even if we did!!! That certainly isn’t the norm though in these parts.

28 posted on 07/28/2013 4:29:59 AM PDT by beaversmom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

Simply REFUSE TO OBEY !

29 posted on 07/28/2013 4:31:51 AM PDT by Yosemitest (It's Simple ! Fight, ... or Die !)

We’ve just spent over $1,000 for school supplies. On top of already having paid taxes for our local school district. We homeschool ...

30 posted on 07/28/2013 4:33:41 AM PDT by Theo (May Christ be exalted above all.)

Your kid needs #2 pencils, erasers, probably a pack of colored pencils, a blue medium tip ink pen, 3 ring binders, lined paper, folders, calculator, gym clothes and a backpack. Your kid might also need a ruler, protractor, compass, headphones and thumbdrive.

31 posted on 07/28/2013 4:37:49 AM PDT by fso301

To: Gaffer
When my first kid started Kindergarten and I was stupid, I bought them the best tissues, ziploc bags, crayons, markers, etc that the school requested. We got there and everyone had to put their supplies in the “common” areas for all. Now I don't mind sharing, but when my little five year old came home with a cold and the skin was practically peeled off her little nose, because she had to use those stupid brown school paper towels for tissues because everybody scarfed up the Puffs plus I sent in, I wasn't to happy.
32 posted on 07/28/2013 4:39:11 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

Hell....they have computers in first grade.

33 posted on 07/28/2013 4:39:55 AM PDT by Sacajaweau

Before I wised up and sent my children to Catholic school, I never bought any of the crap that was intended to be given to parasites. Just a few essentials for my own children.

None of the public school goons ever said a word to me about it. I was kinda disappointed in that, cause I had a few things I wanted to tell them.

34 posted on 07/28/2013 4:40:08 AM PDT by Wage Slave

To: GeronL
Yep, this summer free meals all summer for ANY KID.

Just this week here in Pinellas County, Florida, I saw a big white school district van, with a sign on its side advertising free breakfasts and lunches all summer. The van was parked at a McDonald's and about 10 middle-school age children and a couple of adults were getting out and walking into it. And I thought Moochelle didn't want the kiddies to eat fast food on the taxpayer dime.

35 posted on 07/28/2013 4:42:14 AM PDT by RightField (one of the obstreperous citizens insisting on incorrect thinking - C. Krauthamer)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

It is the worst kind of racism in my opinion. The poor (read illegals’ children and minorities) are just so needy the bleeding heart teachers and administrators have to steal from parents to provide the little needy with the best opportunities they can give them. Where do they get it? They steal it from little white kids who they are assuming it’s okay because their parents are privileged whites.

The sad part of it all is that the children they wrongfully help grow up thinking they are entitled to stuff like this all their lives.

36 posted on 07/28/2013 4:43:11 AM PDT by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: RightField

lol.ignoring their own signs on their own bus.

37 posted on 07/28/2013 4:44:52 AM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: Wage Slave

They didn’t get on you because what they are doing is illegal in my opinion. They have not one iota of justification of requiring you to provide your child with all of that when they are taking it and giving it away to other children. It is patent theft in my opinion.

38 posted on 07/28/2013 4:45:18 AM PDT by Gaffer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

1968...I took my little 5 year old girl out of public school when she came home with a story about the teacher being poor and not making much money. Smartest thing I ever did.

After that...My 3 kids attended a terrific Catholic school. They are awesome working & contributing members of society with good morals, good hearts and I couldn't be prouder.

39 posted on 07/28/2013 4:45:27 AM PDT by Sacajaweau

... We got there and everyone had to put their supplies in the “common” areas for all.

There is more than just the sharing of supplies going on. The schools are training the children to think of redistribution of wealth as normal. It's a not so subtle way to teach them that the interests of the state supersede individual freedoms.

40 posted on 07/28/2013 4:47:25 AM PDT by RightField (one of the obstreperous citizens insisting on incorrect thinking - C. Krauthamer)

To: fso301
I wish that was all, I have that stuff in my house!

Next up: school clothes shopping

A day at the mall of “you are not wearing that to school and you don't need the $75 jeans.” She'll come down on the jeans, because she really is fine with the Holister or AE jeans that are less. I'm on to her— it's her bargaining chip! But then the skirts and shirts— ugh.

Luckily jr high girl likes my taste and says get whatever!

Oh what fun family bonding! Somehow husband will have a last minute "thing" to take care of to avoid the mall at all costs!

41 posted on 07/28/2013 4:52:42 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

When I went to full time kindergarten at age 4 years, 8 months, we had cigar boxes filled with crayons, gallon crocks of paste and a huge abacus.

We learned the basics...a flash card education more or less. Pretty awesome method.

First grade was learning to read.

Second grade was learning to "write"...with a scratchy pen dipped in the inkwell.

We need to go back to this type of teaching. These kids can't read "writing" and they can't add one and one. And street smarts?? forget it.

42 posted on 07/28/2013 4:54:14 AM PDT by Sacajaweau

To: RightField

I agree, but at least the smart kids (future conservatives) were like “Why are you taking my stuff?” And not happy!

43 posted on 07/28/2013 4:54:58 AM PDT by MacMattico
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

Why the hell do they need calculators?

Because teachers are either to darned lazy or ignorant to teach them the correct way. That includes graphing.

My son was told he had to have a graphing calculator for his Trigonometry and Calculus classes. The teachers never taught them how to graph the equations. I had to sit down at home and show my son how to graph it on paper. He told me he understood the subjects better by using graph paper than letting the calculator do the work for him.

He is now in Engineering school.

44 posted on 07/28/2013 4:58:17 AM PDT by OldMissileer

Out of curiosity, what are all these extras required at the high school level?

45 posted on 07/28/2013 5:02:47 AM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

The solution to the demand for “shared supplies” is simple. Just refuse to buy them. This is nothing more than state-sponsored socialist indoctrination. You have to pay the taxes that support the socialist school; you DON’T have to participate in the kiddie-Starnesville.

If you do buy something for your child to take to school, put his name on it and make it clear to the “teacher” that it’s your child’s property. That makes the “teachers” mad.

46 posted on 07/28/2013 5:03:30 AM PDT by Jordo

You MUST have been signing up in the district where I teach! You WOULD have been looked at like an alien for refusing the free lunch form.

47 posted on 07/28/2013 5:08:28 AM PDT by leaning conservative (snow coming, school cancelled, yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!)

To: OldMissileer

Went to college for civil engineering. Even though calculators were available, we had to use a slide rule. The object was to use your brains first and then the machine. To clarify, he wanted us to know an approximate answer before we did any machine manipulating. The machine really amounted to a check on our brain work. The method was awesome.

48 posted on 07/28/2013 5:09:23 AM PDT by Sacajaweau
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

When my first kid started Kindergarten and I was stupid,

And now? Why do you comply with such an evil system?

49 posted on 07/28/2013 5:09:25 AM PDT by HomeAtLast

"I’ve had them tell me in the past to just fill out the form even if I think we don’t qualify."

They want as much data on everyone as possible. Just like the college FAFSA. You MUST fill it out even if you don't qualify for any aid.

50 posted on 07/28/2013 5:11:28 AM PDT by NoExpectations
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-200201-203 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson