Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Run, Newt, Run!
Freebeacon.com ^ | September 18, 2013 | Lachlan Markay

Posted on 09/29/2013 3:31:16 PM PDT by Viennacon

A new political action committee is hoping to convince former Speaker of the House and presidential candidate Newt Gingrich to run for the U.S. Senate in Virginia next year.

Draft Newt PAC insists Gingrich, now a host of CNN’s Crossfire, is Republicans’ best hope for retaking the Senate seat currently held by Sen. Mark Warner (D., Va.), who is vying for his second term.

“We want a credible challenger to Mark Warner, and no one could do what Newt could do to fight—and win,” said Andrew Hemingway, a former staffer on Gingrich’s 2012 presidential campaign who is leading the Draft Newt group, in a press release announcing the effort.

“U.S. Senator Newt Gingrich would be an immediate game changer, giving conservatives another voice that would take the fight to the Obama administration,” added Hemingway, who ran fundraising for the 2012 presidential bid.

(Excerpt) Read more at freebeacon.com ...

TOPICS:
KEYWORDS: 2014; gingrich; globalwarminghoax; gopestablishment; markwarner; newt; newt4prez; newtgingrich; pelosi; rino; senate
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-82 next last
I have my issues with Newt, and this is heavily unlikely with regard to both him even running and eventually defeating Warner who Virginians seem content to slobber over.
1 posted on 09/29/2013 3:31:16 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Viennacon

2 posted on 09/29/2013 3:35:50 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Newt can be good if he wants to be, but he is very establishment oriented and thinks he is a scholar more than a fighter these days IMO.

3 posted on 09/29/2013 3:36:17 PM PDT by A CA Guy ( God Bless America, God Bless and keep safe our fighting men and women.)

To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Berosus; bigheadfred; Bockscar; cardinal4; ColdOne; ...

Thanks Viennacon.
...to run for the U.S. Senate in Virginia next year. Draft Newt PAC insists Gingrich, now a host of CNN’s Crossfire, is Republicans’ best hope for retaking the Senate seat currently held by Sen. Mark Warner (D., Va.), who is vying for his second term.
Or at least, having him get his ass handed to him in the primary might discourage him from running for anything in the future.

4 posted on 09/29/2013 3:36:21 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (It's no coincidence that some "conservatives" echo the hard left.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

$1.6 million to run for the House. $10 million to run for the Senate.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/11/the-astonishing-amount-of-money-it-costs-to-win-a-seat-in-congress-today/

5 posted on 09/29/2013 3:36:28 PM PDT by Gen.Blather

Newt is no better than a liberal Democrat. No thanks.

6 posted on 09/29/2013 3:36:47 PM PDT by SamAdams76

Newt would never step down from speaker to freshman senator. His ego is way too big. He also can make more money in the private sector.

7 posted on 09/29/2013 3:37:41 PM PDT by Siegfried X

Even with his faults I still like Newt.

8 posted on 09/29/2013 3:38:23 PM PDT by ontap (***)

To: Paladin2

No worries, it looks as if this effort is defunct, since Newt sent a cease and desist letter. Looks like Warner waltzes to victory again. Bastard.

9 posted on 09/29/2013 3:38:33 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

He was an unelectable stalking horse for Romney last time. NO thanks.

10 posted on 09/29/2013 3:39:05 PM PDT by lodi90

He’s 70 yrs old and would be 78 by the time he finished his term. Sure he’s smart and looks good sitting on a sofa with Pelosi.

Is he really the best VA can do?

11 posted on 09/29/2013 3:39:44 PM PDT by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)

To: driftdiver

The GOP has literally nothing viable in Virginia.

12 posted on 09/29/2013 3:40:37 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Global Warming Hoaxster....personal issues...he would be trounced by Warner

13 posted on 09/29/2013 3:40:56 PM PDT by SeminoleCounty (Unemployment is so high...its getting harder for Obama to job people anymore)

To: ontap

Newt’s big backer Adelson is now a big amnesty pimp. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Newt 2012 was a bought and paid for fraud designed to keep conservatives divided.

14 posted on 09/29/2013 3:41:07 PM PDT by lodi90
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

That picture says it all.....NOOOOOO!!!!

15 posted on 09/29/2013 3:42:26 PM PDT by Patriot Babe

What is that supposed to prove?

16 posted on 09/29/2013 3:45:05 PM PDT by ez (Muslims do not play well with others.)

To: ez
It's a fact.

You can use in any proof you are working on as necessary.

17 posted on 09/29/2013 3:46:26 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I doubt he could get elected in VA.

From various threads on FR over the years, it seems VA has shifted somewhat leftward.

Add to that the fact that Gingrich has not won an election since he left the House.

He might be able to get a job on the street corner selling John Kerry’s global climate change book, however.

18 posted on 09/29/2013 3:47:24 PM PDT by TomGuy (.)

I have my issues with Newt,

2011 and 2012 saw a mass purging of Romney supporters from this site, do you think it can withstand another?

Personally I don't think so and given the political climate around these parts, it's going to happen again. And if it does, given the health issues of the site owner, it could very well be the end of FR.......

19 posted on 09/29/2013 3:50:39 PM PDT by Hot Tabasco (Ms. Muffett suffered from arachnophobia)

Can they not find a Conservative to challenge Warner?

20 posted on 09/29/2013 3:51:03 PM PDT by Conspiracy Guy (What's the frequency, Kenneth?)

No expert on VA. But from afar seems like a lost state, no longer even purple.

21 posted on 09/29/2013 3:51:54 PM PDT by nhwingut (This tagline is for lease)

To: Gen.Blather

$1.6 million and $10 million to run for an elective job that pays $174,000 per year.

Something is VERY wrong with that picture.

22 posted on 09/29/2013 3:53:57 PM PDT by TomGuy (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Hot Tabasco

What do you mean? I was just stating that like most Freepers, I recognize that Newt has some very questionable positions. I understand he has plus points. No need for purging or anything like that.

23 posted on 09/29/2013 3:58:26 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Conspiracy Guy

Not only can they not find a conservative challenger, they just can’t find a challenger full stop.

24 posted on 09/29/2013 3:58:56 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Liz Cheney IMO should have gone for this or a congressional seat in VA, rather than carpetbagging up to WY to challenge a sitting senator who, though not perfect, is more conservative than she is.

But I like the Newt idea. I wonder what the chances are he runs and wins.

25 posted on 09/29/2013 4:01:22 PM PDT by 9YearLurker

To: SamAdams76

Virginia is too purple for a too conservative a candidate to win statewide.

Newt could actually be a reasonable solution.

26 posted on 09/29/2013 4:02:14 PM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Bummer.

27 posted on 09/29/2013 4:02:49 PM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

The GOP is giving VA to the Dems. If they put a conservative up they would win.

28 posted on 09/29/2013 4:04:15 PM PDT by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I wouldn’t bother...it proves nothing.

I stopped accepting Guilt by Association when they taught it to us in Logic class.\\FReegards.

29 posted on 09/29/2013 4:04:36 PM PDT by ez (Muslims do not play well with others.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

You should consider that whole story that goes with the picture.

Newty has made some poor choices.

30 posted on 09/29/2013 4:05:43 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

Is Cuccinelli a closet lib?

He gave a great speech at the Nascar race in Tenn.

McAwful is certainly the poster boy for Clintonian sleazy Democrat.

If we can’t beat him....

31 posted on 09/29/2013 4:06:03 PM PDT by nascarnation (Democrats control the Presidency, Senate, and Media. It's an uphill climb....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: SamAdams76

Sam the Man, I can’t ever remember disagreeing with you on any issue, although I can’t remember what I ate for breakfast(UGH), I have to take issue with you on this particular topic..

I have been sorely at odds with Newt on any number of subjects recently, but I worked very close with him on the “Contract With America” in the 90’s, and he can be a powerhouse when he gets his teeth into something..

He is brilliant at politics, but stupid in his personal life, and when he was caught in a box he did a few backstabbing moves that he now admits where downright dumb..

After saying all that, I know he is aching for a fight, and he HATES, Hates, Hates, Obama, and Ried, to the core, and I’d love to see him take on Ried for the next 6 years..

It would be wonderful to have another street fighter in the Senate on our side.. Just thought you should know, for what it’s worth.. :)

32 posted on 09/29/2013 4:07:16 PM PDT by carlo3b (Speechless in Sugar Land)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

What do you mean? I was just stating that like most Freepers,

Nothing directed at you, I know exactly what you were saying.

I was merely stating an observation from the past election since Newt supporters were also on the purge list.........

It's a "group think" thing...........

33 posted on 09/29/2013 4:07:59 PM PDT by Hot Tabasco (Ms. Muffett suffered from arachnophobia)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: carlo3b

doesn’t Newt still believe in the AGW hoax?

34 posted on 09/29/2013 4:08:17 PM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

Over 50% of the now voting population, have no idea what he is talking about, because of their own self-indulgent imprisonment to stupidity.

35 posted on 09/29/2013 4:12:41 PM PDT by Terry L Smith

To: 9YearLurker

You’re 100% correct there. The Lizinator probably would have been competitive.

36 posted on 09/29/2013 4:14:05 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

And while we are at it let's have Jeb Bush as his running mate!

37 posted on 09/29/2013 4:15:23 PM PDT by Jack Hydrazine (I’m not a Republican, I'm a Conservative! Pubbies haven't been conservative since before T.R.)

Hmm, I would question this, since we are running a solid conservative gubernatorial ticket, and are currently running behind one of the worst rat candidates I have ever seen, Terry McAwful.

38 posted on 09/29/2013 4:15:34 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: Jack Hydrazine

Can’t do that. Jeb is running for prez because the thing this country really needs is another Bush.

39 posted on 09/29/2013 4:16:37 PM PDT by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: GeronL

That is one of the DUMB moves he regrets.. I know.. YUCK!

40 posted on 09/29/2013 4:17:00 PM PDT by carlo3b (Speechless in Sugar Land)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

No, just NO!

NOOOOO!

41 posted on 09/29/2013 4:19:17 PM PDT by Timber Rattler (Just say NO! to RINOS and the GOP-E)

I don’t see the Democrats going after Nancy Pelosi for that picture. That’s why they are winning... they don’t attack their own.

42 posted on 09/29/2013 4:20:19 PM PDT by ez (Muslims do not play well with others.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 30 | View Replies]

To: TomGuy

“Something is VERY wrong with that picture.”

If you get into the elite club your future and that of your family and friends is secure for perhaps generations. The average senator goes from x wealth to 20x wealth in just a few years. The more corrupt they are the wealthier they get. Nobody prosecutes them and they’ve made special laws just for each other. (Insider trading, for example is legal if you’re in Congress.)

43 posted on 09/29/2013 4:21:10 PM PDT by Gen.Blather
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

To: carlo3b

does he regret it?

Didn’t he have a new eco-book coming out last year?

I never heard anything about it afterwards

44 posted on 09/29/2013 4:22:47 PM PDT by GeronL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

NO.

45 posted on 09/29/2013 4:29:35 PM PDT by fieldmarshaldj (Resist We Much)

To: GeronL
Didn’t he have a new eco-book coming out last year? I never heard anything about it afterwards

I thought that book was scraped last year, at his request, but like you I haven't heard anything about it, and forgot to ask.. I thought I would never speak to him again after I saw him cuddle up with that @itch..

46 posted on 09/29/2013 4:30:43 PM PDT by carlo3b (Speechless in Sugar Land)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

The 'rats win because they are emotional thinkers and players as opposed to being logical and rational nd so are their bought and paid for voters.

What do you thinnk pictures like this prove?:

47 posted on 09/29/2013 4:33:10 PM PDT by Paladin2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: ontap
I do too...sent him some cash in the last election.

He's not perfect. But then we're not talking about perfect.

48 posted on 09/29/2013 4:46:22 PM PDT by RoosterRedux (The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing -- Socrates)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: fieldmarshaldj

And who would you recommend instead?

49 posted on 09/29/2013 4:47:23 PM PDT by RoosterRedux (The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing -- Socrates)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

The problem here is we are letting the establishment Republican party define what a “viable” candidate is - so of course the answer will be the only “viable” candidates are establishment Republicans.

Here is where I am at - I am done voting for “viable” GOP candidates - that is what gave us McCain as Presidential candidate. If they are not a conservative and willing to fight for those values then I dont care if we lose the seat. Let the liberals run the country into the ground and then we can pick up the pieces from there. I would rather rip the band-aid off at this point than to keep slowly pulling it away and losing our souls in the process.

50 posted on 09/29/2013 4:49:41 PM PDT by Baum Threat

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-82 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson