Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Scientist Says New Research Proves 'Dogs Are People Too'
Pawnation ^ | 10-7-2013 | Kelli Bender

Posted on 10/07/2013 11:32:27 AM PDT by blam

Scientist Says New Research Proves 'Dogs Are People Too'

By Kelli Bender
Oct 7th 2013

Do you ever think that your dog knows exactly how you feel? It probably does. According to the Daily Mail U.K., Gregory Berns, a professor of neuroeconomics at Emory University, has discovered that dogs have emotions just like humans.

Through the use of MRI scans, Berns discovered that dogs and humans use the same part of their brains to feel. The professor started his research hoping to find out how a dog's brain works and what the animals think of humans.

In veterinary practices, dogs are put under an anesthetic to obtain an MRI so they don't become stressed by the procedure. For Berns' work, he needed his dog patients to be alert so he could observe their true brain functions. To overcome this obstacle, Berns and a dog trainer worked to teach the professor's dog to sit through an MRI simulator. After months of training and work with a real MRI machine, Berns and his dog were able to get the first maps of canine brain activity.

(snip)

(Excerpt) Read more at pawnation.com ...

TOPICS: Pets/Animals; Science; Society
KEYWORDS: dogs; pets
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-55 last
To: Pontiac

Admit it: deep down, you would rather rescue the pets than the step kids; but are too afraid to face the opprobrium from one and all if you actually carried that out. ;-’)

51 posted on 10/08/2013 1:53:29 AM PDT by ApplegateRanch (Love me, love my guns!©)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: ransomnote
We have four dogs and when one of them has been hospitalized and out of the house, the other dogs will walk slowly around the house peering around corners looking for the missing one.

If the sick dog dies the others will eventually stop looking for them but they will grieve for a period of time.

52 posted on 10/08/2013 2:18:51 AM PDT by Ditter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: ApplegateRanch

Well the pets are smart enough to run out of a burning building. I am not so sure about the step kids.

53 posted on 10/08/2013 3:55:04 AM PDT by Pontiac (The welfare state must fail because it is contrary to human nature and diminishes the human spirit.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 51 | View Replies]

To: Pontiac

A belated response to your most thoughtful posting to me about the relationships between humans and animals. I apologize for not recognizing your reference.

It truly is a shame that we have to be on the constant look-out for means by which the state can find yet another way of controlling us. These indeed are “interesting times.”

54 posted on 10/08/2013 3:51:28 PM PDT by OldPossum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: OldPossum
It truly is a shame that we have to be on the constant look-out for means by which the state can find yet another way of controlling us.

I very much agree.

Twenty years ago it would have been difficult to believe that such legislation would be contemplated.

55 posted on 10/08/2013 4:22:22 PM PDT by Pontiac (The welfare state must fail because it is contrary to human nature and diminishes the human spirit.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 54 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-55 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson