Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Atlanta man recounts NY-to-LA drive in record 28 hours, 50 minutes
Fox News ^ | Joshua Rhett Miller

Posted on 10/31/2013 3:52:36 PM PDT by nascarnation

Ed Bolian had a serious cross-country need for speed.

The 28-year-old Atlanta man and a two-man crew shattered the unofficial record for fastest drive from New York City to Los Angeles earlier this month by making the 2,813-mile trip in 28 hours and 50 minutes, besting the previous mark set in 2006 by more than two hours.

Using a souped-up 2004 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG, Bolian, co-driver Dave Black and support passenger Dan Huang left the Red Ball Parking Garage on 31st Street in New York City at 9:55 p.m. on Oct. 19. The trio later arrived at the Portofino Hotel and Marina in Redondo Beach, Calif., at 11:46 p.m. local time on Oct. 20. The ride went as smooth as anyone could’ve imagined, Bolian said.

“The trip went completely perfectly, in ways I could not have guessed,” he said. “We had no traffic, no construction, no accidents, we didn’t find any speed traps and had no bad weather … It was perfection.”

The trio stopped only three times to refuel, add oil and to take restroom breaks. The Mercedes’ average speed was 98 mph, Bolian said.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

TOPICS: Business/Economy; Miscellaneous; Outdoors; Travel
KEYWORDS: driving; la; newyork; record
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-74 next last
Sweet!
1 posted on 10/31/2013 3:52:36 PM PDT by nascarnation
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: nascarnation

That would probably be about as fast as one could get away with on such a trip. Any faster and those wheels are not touching the ground.

2 posted on 10/31/2013 3:54:55 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

The Mercedes’ average speed was 98 mph, Bolian said.

Proving that American roads are able to support much higher speeds than the posted speed limit.

/johnny

3 posted on 10/31/2013 4:01:11 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)

To: JRandomFreeper

Sure, as long as you’re driving a car designed to run on the autobahn.

4 posted on 10/31/2013 4:04:14 PM PDT by AFreeBird
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

One vehicle doing that is not evidence that millions of vehicles could do the same thing.

While some people are capable of being good drivers at higher speeds, there are too many idiots on the road I would be loath to trust to do that.

5 posted on 10/31/2013 4:04:26 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults)

To: Jonty30
Idiots kill themselves and others at 55mph, too.

/johnny

6 posted on 10/31/2013 4:06:19 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Yes, but it’s harder to do. :)

7 posted on 10/31/2013 4:06:52 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: AFreeBird
Does a 240Z count?

/johnny

8 posted on 10/31/2013 4:07:00 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

"Average" speed was 90 mph. LOL! Those wheels weren't touching the ground at times, and I'd wager they had to throw down cases of donuts to distract any pursuing HP.
9 posted on 10/31/2013 4:08:14 PM PDT by PowderMonkey (WILL WORK FOR AMMO)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

how many speeding tickets?

10 posted on 10/31/2013 4:08:36 PM PDT by campaignPete R-CT (WWLD? What would LaRussa do?)

I believe the starting and ending points are the same used in the old Cannon Ball Runs of forty years ago.

11 posted on 10/31/2013 4:08:53 PM PDT by KC Burke (Officially since Memorial Day they are the Gimmie-crat Party.h)

About 30K fatalities a year in the US.

/johnny

12 posted on 10/31/2013 4:09:05 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

It would probably jump somewhat, if the speed was higher.

13 posted on 10/31/2013 4:09:53 PM PDT by Jonty30 (What Islam and secularism have in common is that they are both death cults)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I find it a bit hard to believe you can average 98 mph across the entire country and not get pulled over by a cop.

14 posted on 10/31/2013 4:11:27 PM PDT by SamAdams76

It has actually dropped since the 55MPH blanket law was replaced and speeds of up to 75MPH are allowed on certain highways.

I understand out west there are some highways that are not marked for speed limit at all.

/johnny

15 posted on 10/31/2013 4:11:48 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper (Gone Galt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Heck, 30 years ago Burt Reynolds did it in about an hour and a half. I saw it in Cannonball Run.

16 posted on 10/31/2013 4:11:57 PM PDT by mountn man (The Pleasure You Get From Life Is Equal To The Attitude You Put Into It)

Not bad. I once made it from Amarillo, TX to Albuquerque, NM in 2.5 hours in a 1970 Hurst-Olds 442.

17 posted on 10/31/2013 4:11:59 PM PDT by elkfersupper

Yes, very sweet.

I went from Placerville to Wyoming to a place to get real fireworks just over the state line and back in less than 24 hours 16 years ago. On 80 the whole way in a '94 Camaro. Only law enforcement I saw was going through Reno... :>)

18 posted on 10/31/2013 4:13:12 PM PDT by eldoradude (Let's water the tree of liberty with THEIR blood...)

19 posted on 10/31/2013 4:13:17 PM PDT by abb

My friend’s brother once drove from LA to our town in Michigan in the summer of 1965 in his Austin Healy in one day. We were pre-teens. We thought it was so cool. He was a big time record producer. His son grew up to be a famous singer in a band with the initials The RHCP.

20 posted on 10/31/2013 4:13:32 PM PDT by FrdmLvr ("WE ARE ALL OSAMA, 0BAMA!" al-Qaeda terrorists who breached the American compound in Benghazi)

I’ve cruise controlled 400 mile trips in CA set on 100 in a Saturn SL2 before they started radaring the interstate here. Most fly over country freeways are in better shape than here too...

21 posted on 10/31/2013 4:13:52 PM PDT by Axenolith (Government blows, and that which governs least, blows least...)

Daytime speed limit, “Reasonable And Prudent,” nighttime speed limit 75 mph. Wyoming, I seem to recall but could be mistaken.

22 posted on 10/31/2013 4:15:00 PM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

They must have been using racing grade tires.I don’t think even tires graded for highway use would be able to survive those speeds.

Back in the 70’s I drove from the East Coast of Florida to San Antonio Texas.I did Pretty well until I hit Houston and my tires started rumbling.

I stopped at a Firestone Tire dealer and the guy told me the belts were separating on the Steel Radial 500’s I was using.

Those tires apparently couldn’t take the heat of that kind of drive.

23 posted on 10/31/2013 4:16:00 PM PDT by puppypusher

Does a 240Z count?

I don't know about a Datsun, but a Subaru will work.

24 posted on 10/31/2013 4:16:05 PM PDT by mountn man (The Pleasure You Get From Life Is Equal To The Attitude You Put Into It)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: KC Burke

To follow up on my number 11...
See this story: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-last-cannonball-feature
for the summary of the 1979 last run of the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash which was sort of affiliated with Car and Driver and gave rise to the Cannonball Run films of Burt Reynolds.

Brock Yates was one of the central figures.

25 posted on 10/31/2013 4:16:41 PM PDT by KC Burke (Officially since Memorial Day they are the Gimmie-crat Party.h)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Wow! That record could last a long time.

26 posted on 10/31/2013 4:17:34 PM PDT by gorush (History repeats itself because human nature is static)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: PowderMonkey
I'd wager they had to throw down cases of donuts to distract any pursuing HP.

Too many just becomes bait.

27 posted on 10/31/2013 4:17:36 PM PDT by mountn man (The Pleasure You Get From Life Is Equal To The Attitude You Put Into It)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: RegulatorCountry

Montana I thought

28 posted on 10/31/2013 4:18:13 PM PDT by AFreeBird
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

Could’ve been. I recall that there was an active police presence. It’s apparently not reasonable and prudent to blast along at a hundred plus in a poorly maintained vehicle. There were a few pulled over.

29 posted on 10/31/2013 4:23:43 PM PDT by RegulatorCountry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Geez! I did Wilmington, N.C. to Sacramento, CA in 76 hours driving solo. I could have made it sooner if the damned Ryder truck hadn’t been governed at 70 mph ... and I didn’t stop to sleep.

30 posted on 10/31/2013 4:28:03 PM PDT by meatloaf

I'm sure they had all the latest fuzz-buster gear and probably an app such as waze that enables members to give a heads up to other drivers about any nearby cops.  photo Stylo-for-Pickard-2-002_zps8f96d079.jpg
31 posted on 10/31/2013 4:31:36 PM PDT by Ronald_Magnus

I understand out west there are some highways that are not marked for speed limit at all.

I don't think I've come across any roads with no speed limit at all. There are places out west where the speed limits are variable. The signs are electronic and the speed limit changes with the weather conditions. I-80 across Wyoming has long stretches like that. As the wind speed goes up, the highway speed limit goes down.

32 posted on 10/31/2013 4:31:43 PM PDT by SeeSharp
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: puppypusher
I stopped at a Firestone Tire dealer and the guy told me the belts were separating on the Steel Radial 500’s I was using.

Well I bet so. That tire nearly bankrupted Firestone. They were unsafe and they all had to be recalled. They had sold tons of the 500's to Sears with Sears branding and those had to be recalled also. 60 minutes even did a piece on the infamous Firestone 500.

33 posted on 10/31/2013 4:38:03 PM PDT by SeeSharp
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: elkfersupper

1972, Amarillo, TX, to Columbus, OH in 24 hours and five minutes. Driving a Honda 600N Coupe running on 10” Bridgestone radials and powered by a two cylinder transverse mounted motorcycle engine. $1600 brand new off the showroom floor in CA. Damn thing got almost 50mpg on the highway. Of course, every little crosswind was a lane change...

34 posted on 10/31/2013 4:47:01 PM PDT by PubliusMM (RKBA; a matter of fact, not opinion. 01-20-2016; I pray we make it that long.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: SeeSharp

I bought a new Pontiac Grand Prix in 1974. It had Firestone 500’s. All 5 (full size spare back in those days)separated within 20,000 miles.

Those origianl Cannonball Baker runs were some great reads in C&D Magazine. As I recall Dan Gurney won one of the things in a Ferrari.

35 posted on 10/31/2013 4:50:58 PM PDT by technically right
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: mountn man

Better yet, Danny DeVito once impregnated Arnold Schwarzeneger with Emma Thompson’s egg, proving young men need ObamaCare’s maternity benefit.

36 posted on 10/31/2013 4:53:09 PM PDT by libstripper (Asv)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: SamAdams76
I find it a bit hard to believe you can average 98 mph across the entire country and not get pulled over by a cop.

"With an average speed just under 100 mph, Bolian acknowledged he easily eclipsed local and state speed limits while driving the Mercedes that was outfitted with additional 22-gallon gas tanks, a police scanner, several GPS units and two laser jammers to avoid detection by police radar."

37 posted on 10/31/2013 5:01:12 PM PDT by COBOL2Java (I'm a Christian, pro-life, pro-gun, Reaganite. The GOP hates me. Why should I vote for them?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

most roads are made for at least 20 miles over. curves at least 10.

38 posted on 10/31/2013 5:25:51 PM PDT by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; Not averse to Going Bronson.)

To: COBOL2Java

two other guys and more than one extra 22 gallon tank? that’s a lot of extra weight they were hauling too.

39 posted on 10/31/2013 5:34:47 PM PDT by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; Not averse to Going Bronson.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: Chode

Ping

40 posted on 10/31/2013 5:41:23 PM PDT by nascarnation (Frequently wrong but rarely in doubt....)

41 posted on 10/31/2013 5:41:53 PM PDT by rollo tomasi (Working hard to pay for deadbeats and corrupt politicians.)

To: Secret Agent Man

Gas is 7 lb/gal
so each extra tank is less than a fat girl....

42 posted on 10/31/2013 5:42:16 PM PDT by nascarnation (Frequently wrong but rarely in doubt....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

On NewYears Day 1997 I was in a race fron Daytona Beach to La Jolla . Not a canonball but after hitting our checkpoints we found ourselves running at 110-130 in my Porsche to get to the daily endpoint. Had a blast but I was exhausted by the time I was home in California. Two cars out of 36 starters did not get a speeding ticket, both Porsches ( one was mine)and both running the Valentine One radar detector.

43 posted on 10/31/2013 5:45:12 PM PDT by Cyman (We have to pass it to see what's in it= definition of stool sample)

To: RegulatorCountry
Definitely not Wyoming. Therein lies a tale: I'd just bought a barely used WRX and was driving it from Dallas to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. My predecessor had thoughtfully had it chipped and some other nice speed-related mods and when I turned north out of Denver I figured when I crossed into Wyoming I'd turn it loose. Which I did.

I backed off finally and cruised into Montana, where I was informed that I'd gone directly by the Wyoming State Patrol academy where they routinely set speed traps to give the new officers some experience. And that I could have ended up in jail for the, ah, slightly over the speed limit rate I was driving. All I will say is that I honestly don't know how fast that was because the speedo didn't go quite high enough.

I still have the car. If I tried that on the roads around here, though, I'd be dead meat.

44 posted on 10/31/2013 5:51:21 PM PDT by Billthedrill
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

I had my ‘89 Ford Ranger SLT on the autobahn many a time. Of course, the speedometer on the Ranger only went up to 85, but I have gone faster. How fast? I’ll never know. I’ve actually been cruising at top end (85 MPH) and then gone faster. Once a 911 came blazing by, so I pulled out and chased it! LOL! It got away, of course, but I did feel my truck actually accelerate. I was going down hill at the time. This was somewhere on A-61 north of Speyer.

45 posted on 10/31/2013 5:52:03 PM PDT by Alas Babylon!

To: abb

Gumball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnl4Y-nYdJE&fmt=18

46 posted on 10/31/2013 5:55:19 PM PDT by GreenLanternCorps
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

2 22 gallon tanks is about 310 pounds of gas, full, plus weight of the tank and gas piping pipes. two extra guys are probably 350-400 pounds all the time.

47 posted on 10/31/2013 5:55:47 PM PDT by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; Not averse to Going Bronson.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

what's-a behind me, she's-a not important...

48 posted on 10/31/2013 6:15:41 PM PDT by Chode (Stand UP and Be Counted, or line up and be numbered - *DTOM* -vvv- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: Chode

HA!

Last week we did Pensacola to Indy with a 79mph avg (my SIL was at the wheel the whole time). More than fast enough for me.

49 posted on 10/31/2013 6:18:32 PM PDT by nascarnation (Frequently wrong but rarely in doubt....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

is there noticeably less traffic on the roads these days? i haven't been on a real road trip since 99...
50 posted on 10/31/2013 6:21:11 PM PDT by Chode (Stand UP and Be Counted, or line up and be numbered - *DTOM* -vvv- NO Pity for the LAZY)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-74 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson