Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: ChinaGotTheGoodsOnClinton

The circumstances you were told about the Tuskegee experiment are at odds with what I have seen in the literature. My understanding is that the patients all had tertiary stage syphilis for which there was no cure, and all gave informed consent to the treatment. That is, they knew some would receive a placebo as part of the test protocol. I have no way of verifying what version of the story is right, but thought you might like to know there is a different version of the story out there.

3 posted on 12/08/2013 8:18:52 PM PST by Old North State
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Old North State
Half correct.

When the experiment began, there was really no treatment. Partway through the experiment, penicillin was discovered. Treatment with penicillin would have cured the men, but it was withheld and the experiment was continued for 25 additional years, with no treatment.

Not ethical. At all.

5 posted on 12/08/2013 8:30:31 PM PST by ClearCase_guy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: Old North State

From the Wikipedia link:

“They were never told they had syphilis, nor were they ever treated for it.”

I realize that Wikipedia is not exactly chiseled by God on the tablets Moses brought down from Sinai.

But the fact is that the black libs you’d might profitably use this line of reasoning with have been told the commonly known story at Wikipedia.

I doubt if you’d hear the argument: “The US government didn’t treat us blacks that badly in those experiments, so I trust the goverment”.

8 posted on 12/08/2013 8:44:04 PM PST by ChinaGotTheGoodsOnClinton (Go Egypt on 0bama)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson