Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: truthtime
I think I dozed off when she was talking about Octavian.

Wasn't he the same person as Augustus? If so, he was completely done in by his wife, who finally finished him off with a bunch of poisoned figs. I guess he was a dimwit, but maybe she was just very smart.

But if and when we loose our republic, I don't think it's going to matter much whether we have a dimwit, a genius, or the noblest of them all in power; Caligula and Nero will emerge soon enough. I think we have already had a glimpse of them on the national scene.

I do not think we're about to loose the republic. But the erosion of liberty that has occurred all ready is plenty to be concerned about.

What do you think about all this? I would be interested in knowing your opinion. Have you been reading and posting at Free Republic for a long time? --SB

19 posted on 03/27/2002 5:26:56 AM PST by Savage Beast
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

To: Savage Beast
>Wasn't he the same person as Augustus?

Yep.

>But if and when we loose our republic, I don't think it's going to matter much whether we have a dimwit, a genius, or the noblest of them all in power

I think you're right--Bush at least is just a character filling the role assigned to him.

>But the erosion of liberty that has occurred all ready is plenty to be concerned about.

Yes--the way they use September 11 is really frightening.

>Have you been reading and posting at Free Republic for a long time?

No, just a few days.

20 posted on 03/29/2002 3:13:32 AM PST by truthtime
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson