Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

To: TeleStraightShooter
2 big secrets of modern American journalism -

1) Drudge really is one of the most powerful voices in America

2) No one in media likes to admit the accuracy of the National Enquirer

Both these bombshells were dropped on me last week by my friend and mentor, a dean at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. He said Drudge is changing media, and National Enquirer is just as accurate as NY Times. He was dead serious.

Believe the Enquirer.
6 posted on 11/02/2002 12:41:19 AM PST by motexva
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: motexva
A lot of people confuse The Weekly World News with the National Enquirer (both are published by the same company).

I thought that NE was largely a scandal sheet these days while WW is the black and white tabloid that makes Art Bell's program seem like a critical observer of odd phenomena. People know that the stories in WW are made up (but they find odd attraction to the Bat Boy, the Alien that meets with presidents (and even endorses candidates), old JFK, old Elvis, etc.). NI finds (and possibly enhances) photos of celeb weddings, arrests, and just rotten photos of famous people (compare this with the doctored photos that Time magazine has run of Newt, Rush, etc.).

Responsible journalism means that you actually expect to read a publication put together by responsible journalists (who don't fabricate fake witnesses/victims or trigger mob riots) edited by responsible editors.

8 posted on 11/02/2002 12:59:11 AM PST by weegee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies ]

To: motexva
"National Enquirer is just as accurate as NY Times"

Kudos to your prof, but this is common knowledge among well-read conservatives. I think even National Review has commended the Enquirer, or maybe WSJ op-eds dept. The main point is even more true, since you only have to follow Drudge to know all of this.

11 posted on 11/02/2002 6:35:29 AM PST by old-ager
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson